ADVERTISEMENT

What does DeSanto to Iowa do

It literally makes no difference. We'll dominate once again and Iowa Fans will be left saying wait until next year. Remember the old adage, when you're not the lead dog the view is always the same. Iowa's view hasn't changed in nearly a decade.

Crap, guess I will cancel my trip to Pittsburgh. Thanks for the heads up. What are your thoughts on 2020, should I waste my time going to Minneapolis?

Crap, guess I will cancel my trip to Pittsburgh. Thanks for the heads up. What are your thoughts on 2020, should I waste my time going to Minneapolis?

You only go to NCAAs if your team is going to win or at least has a chance to win? Most of us go to watch the great wrestling. May be a surprise to you but pre Cael when PSU wasn't in the running for the team title we still had hundreds of fans going to NCAAs every year.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
according to HR Desanto will be top 2 at NCAA and pushs Iowa to 160 team points..
are they regressing? I thought they were 160+ without him....maybe it was a rounding error before?

One little hitch: neither he nor his parents have confirmed he has the condition. It is entirely message board rumor.

Speculating on a rumored medical condition? Not how we would have handled it.

Really? Since when have we required confirmation of a fact as a prerequisite to having thoughtful dialogue about it on this board? The board is filled with threads “speculating on a rumored medical condition” of a given wrestler. It’s not only how we would’ve handled it, but how we routinely handle it. There are many pages speculating about Nolf’s injury (ie, a medical condition) and dozens of other high profile wrestlers suffering from one ailment or another (eg, Suriano knee infection). We haven’t required confirmation of the nature of the injury or a public statement from the wrestlers’ parents in order to “speculate” about it.

Some on this board seem to think that when the “medical” condition at issue is of a mental, emotional, or neurodevelopmental nature it’s off-limits to discuss its potential impact on that wrestler or others. I respect that. But I think that view sees offense where none exists and runs the risk of promoting stigma and stereotyping where none should exist. IMO, there’s no reason civil dialogue can’t occur on this topic.

I don’t claim to know what physical or mental conditions may be triggering Desanto’s misbehavior on the mat. The results are clear though. And if others who have speculated (with varying degrees of credibility) that he’s on the ASD spectrum are correct, that’s a helpful data point to have.

Really? Since when have we required confirmation of a fact as a prerequisite to having thoughtful dialogue about it on this board? The board is filled with threads “speculating on a rumored medical condition” of a given wrestler. It’s not only how we would’ve handled it, but how we routinely handle it. There are many pages speculating about Nolf’s injury (ie, a medical condition) and dozens of other high profile wrestlers suffering from one ailment or another (eg, Suriano knee infection). We haven’t required confirmation of the nature of the injury or a public statement from the wrestlers’ parents in order to “speculate” about it.

Some on this board seem to think that when the “medical” condition at issue is of a mental, emotional, or neurodevelopmental nature it’s off-limits to discuss its potential impact on that wrestler or others. I respect that. But I think that view sees offense where none exists and runs the risk of promoting stigma and stereotyping where none should exist. IMO, there’s no reason civil dialogue can’t occur on this topic.

I don’t claim to know what physical or mental conditions may be triggering Desanto’s misbehavior on the mat. The results are clear though. And if others who have speculated (with varying degrees of credibility) that he’s on the ASD spectrum are correct, that’s a helpful data point to have.
A level headed post on the issue. All respectful opinion and thoughts should be welcome even if it makes some uneasy reading it.

I've been off the boards for a while. Is it safe to say that the outrage about Desanto's outburst that was so prevalent on HR has mysteriously dissipated or they've twisted themselves into pretzels trying to rationalize it?
I believe you’ve confused HR with another board. ;)

I just meant, is it a rumor going around or just speculation from a few people only in this thread. I was wondering if someone on here just had a whim that it would be nice for Bo to weigh 197 as opposed to someone like Roar having heard he was going to 197. I'll search through Roar's posts. Thanks
YoungGunsWC, whose posts are generally pretty spot on, posted Bo was probably bumping to 97.

Spencer is still going to win his second of a probable 4. You don't want to miss that do you?
Also, if the Hawks wrestle a solid tournament similar to this year second place is within reach.

Since neither he nor his family have confirmed it, that means either (1) it's false or (2) they want it private.

ASD is a developmental disability. If he doesn't have it, you feel good about speculating that he does?

If it's true and they want privacy, why not respect that?

Even without the medical diagnosis, anytime my best wrestler was practicing against the poster child of bad sportsmanship, I’d bubble wrap my golden boy and have a coach with a baseball bat standing over the other guy.
Not sure I understand the level of personal dislike for the DeSanto kid that emanates from your posts.

I've been off the boards for a while. Is it safe to say that the outrage about Desanto's outburst that was so prevalent on HR has mysteriously dissipated or they've twisted themselves into pretzels trying to rationalize it?

They few posts I read on the first page of their thread was that they were excited to have such a great one/two punch at 25 and 33. No posts at all about the NCAA meltdown. But maybe they mentioned it further down the thread....

They few posts I read on the first page of their thread was that they were excited to have such a great one/two punch at 25 and 33. No posts at all about the NCAA meltdown. But maybe they mentioned it further down the thread....
Nope...

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Since neither he nor his family have confirmed it, that means either (1) it's false or (2) they want it private.

ASD is a developmental disability. If he doesn't have it, you feel good about speculating that he does?

If it's true and they want privacy, why not respect that?
That has never stopped you or anyone else from discussing just about anything under the sun. Your post stigmatizes ASD while at the same time tries to "protect" those with it. People with ASD don't need your protection. They need your understanding.

according to HR Desanto will be top 2 at NCAA and pushs Iowa to 160 team points..
“Don’t bogart that joint, my friend!”

HR board thinks they are packed with 8-10 AA’s every year. The last I’ve looked, they’ve won four titles in the new millennia and 1 in the last 9 years. This past year was the first year in awhile that they actually performed well at NCAA’s, compared to projections, but most of that blush was from Lee.

We’ll see if they can meet the exceptionally high 2019 expectations. They have 85 points returning. Nice start but no way will they get to 140 which is where they need to do to sniff the crown.

Who are the fine folks on HR penciling in for the finals in their lineup? They think they have four finalists?

Spencer Lee - Check
Austin DeSanto - Round of 12, low AA potential.
Happel/Turk - Nope.
Pat Lugo - Round of 12 mid AA
Michael Kemerer - 2-4 - He hasn't made a final yet. He's still has to go through Hidlay. If they are on the side of the bracket, and all evidence says they will be 2/3 then he's going to have his work cut out for him in the semis.
Marinelli - Real good shot at the finals. Certainly not a lock, though.
Warner - Round of 12 potential. We'll see how he does in his first year of being in the lineup.
Bowman - Come on.
Wilke - Absolutely not
Stoll - Nope.

They have Spencer Lee in the finals and potentially two more, but if I had to bet they get maybe one more in the finals between Kemdawg and The Bull. If I had to pick I'll take Kemdawg, but I doubt both make it and I wouldn't be shocked if neither did.

I think their ceiling is 3 in the finals, but more likely it's 2.

Who are the fine folks on HR penciling in for the finals in their lineup? They think they have four finalists?

Spencer Lee - Check
Happel/Turk - Nope.
Michael Kemerer - 2-4 - He hasn't made a final yet. He's still has to go through Hidlay. If they are on the side of the bracket, and all evidence says they will be 2/3 then he's going to have his work cut out for him in the semis.
Warner - Round of 12 potential. We'll see how he does in his first year of being in the lineup.
Bowman - Come on.
Wilke - Absolutely not
Stoll - Nope.

They have Spencer Lee in the finals and potentially two more, but if I had to bet they get maybe one more in the finals between Kemdawg and The Bull. If I had to pick I'll take Kemdawg, but I doubt both make it and I wouldn't be shocked if neither did.

I don't think Kemerer beats Hidlay and while Marinelli is tough as nails he just finished 6th in B1Gs and NCAAs.
Spencer repeats and if the Hawks have a really good tournament they could have 7 AAs.

The worst seat in the Pittsburgh arena will blow away the worst seat in Cleveland (I had that one).

Spencer Lee - Check
Happel/Turk - Nope.
Bowman - Come on.
Wilke - Absolutely not
Stoll - Nope.

Lee - About as close to a lock as there is
Lugo -Rather optimistic, but 149 does clear out quite a bit
Kemerer - Pretty reasonable
Marinelli - Possible, but odds are against it in what should still be a tough weight
Warner - Very talented, but then so is Ben Darmstadt
Stoll - Not likely, but could happen

So you've got one near lock, one very feasible, and four "could happen" guys. So, yeah, your final number seems about right - two is reasonable and three would be doing real well.

Marinelli - Possible, but odds are against it in what should still be a tough weight

So you've got one near lock, one very feasible, and four "could happen" guys. So, yeah, your final number seems about right - two is reasonable and three would be doing real well.
Lugo has beaten Kolodzik.

The bottom line is Iowa runs a huge risk of loss through possible subtraction. While not wishing this on anyone, but IMO this signing significantly increases the risk of uncontrollable DeSanto injuring in practice the best wrestler in college - Lee.

One dedicated his life to beating the other. The other had a perfect record tarnished by the other. I fear things will get personal at some point, especially when one continually exhibits irrational behavior on the mat.

Again, not rooting for this as watching Lee wrestle is truly an opportunity to watch one of the few who has mastered the sport.

I'd say there's a better chance of Lee injuring Desanto in practice than vice versa. Flo may need to add a new ending to their feature film.

Haven't been over to the HR lately. But I'm relieved we won't have to listen to the inevitable crying, b**ching, and moaning that would have resulted if Austin had come to PSU.

Reactions: tabenn
That has never stopped you or anyone else from discussing just about anything under the sun. Your post stigmatizes ASD while at the same time tries to "protect" those with it. People with ASD don't need your protection. They need your understanding.
That's great and everything, but the fact is that he either doesn't have it or wants it kept private. If he doesn't have it, there's nothing to understand or protect. If he wants it kept private, then he has chosen to protect himself.

BTW, I bet if you knew me, you might know I have first hand experience in being stigmatized vs. understood vs. protected for medical conditions. So I have an idea what I'm talking about when I say: giving him "understanding" might mean not speculating about something he wants kept private (or doesn't have at all). Maybe he doesn't want to be defined by some medical condition, no matter how noble the intention.

Last edited:
Reactions: y2jriden and tikk10

Stoll just finished 5th at NCAAs behind 4 seniors so not likely to make the finals means I guess no one at 285 is likely to make the finals.

YoungGunsWC, whose posts are generally pretty spot on, posted Bo was probably bumping to 97.

There is also a post by a Hawk fan that is pretty adamant that Kemerer will not be at 157 next year. If he can't make it anymore, that could really mess up their lineup. Maybe he and Marinelli will switch weights?

There is also a post by a Hawk fan that is pretty adamant that Kemerer will not be at 157 next year. If he can't make it anymore, that could really mess up their lineup. Maybe he and Marinelli will switch weights?
I saw the initial post, but if I remember correctly the name of the poster did not strike me as any of the self proclaimed "insiders". Of course, maybe that means he does have inside info.
Kemerer not holding 157 would put things into a bit of a tizzy.

Kemerer seems too tall to make 149lbs so he'd have to go 165lbs. The Bull is too big for 157lbs if you ask me. That would mean The Bull goes to 174lbs and Kemdawg to 165lbs. I don't think Kemerer has any more luck at 165lbs than he did at 157lbs. I think 165lbs is probably deeper than 157lbs.

If Kemerer can no longer make 157lbs and goes 165lbs I see him as a 3-5 finisher.

Kemerer seems too tall to make 149lbs so he'd have to go 165lbs. The Bull is too big for 157lbs if you ask me. That would mean The Bull goes to 174lbs and Kemdawg to 165lbs. I don't think Kemerer has any more luck at 165lbs than he did at 157lbs. I think 165lbs is probably deeper than 157lbs.

If Kemerer can no longer make 157lbs and goes 165lbs I see him as a 3-5 finisher.

If Kdog and Bull both move up then who is their 57?

That's interesting. I thought he was a tad undersized his first year, then came back last year and looked like a good sized 57 lber. But it never occurred to me that he'd outgrow the weight anytime soon. Color me skeptical but interested. Stranger things have happened.

I do find it interesting that no one is shooting the Kemerer rumor down. In fact, more details are getting added. They might be looking at this as their mid lineup:

157: Young
165: Marinelli
174: Kemerer

That creates a lot of questions, can Young perform that low, can Kem perform that high? Interesting off season rumor at this point.

Wasn’t Kem pretty beat up physically last year? I could see he and Bull bouncing up a weight. Not sure who would be slotted into 157, though.

Seems AD can't handle losing. I don't see this ending well. If that's all right
It will be very interesting to see if AD points and calls out TnT after an emotional loss. The Drexel staff handled it well, but not certain how Terry will handle it. But, there certainly is the Ramos precedent and we know how that turned out. It certainly will be interesting, and I hope AD can work out the competitive issues that were displayed at NCAAs. I'm surprised no actions were taken against him by the NCAA (maybe there is a double secret probation), but any additional attempt to injure a competitor, needs to be dealt with immediately. Again, going to be interesting season again and I'll be in Pittsburgh to help celebrate another PSU Team Championship

Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT