ADVERTISEMENT

What does DeSanto to Iowa do

In exchange for moving away from mid March and the beginning of March Madness we also move from a situation where ESPN loves wrestling to a situation where ESPN feels burdened by wrestling.

Unlike popular opinions wishing for a move to a calendar location allowing wrestling to be the biggest and brightest star, I sincerely believe the NCAA tournament is currently located in the calendar location that allows it to shine its brightest. In mid April the NBA and NHL playoffs are kicking off and baseball is starting. A week earlier than mid April the Masters is being contested.

No matter the calendar selection the NCAA Wrestling Championships are not going to be the star television attraction. Move from the current calendar location and the massive coverage currently given the tournament by ESPN likely becomes something less.

A few southern locations with plenty of golf courses for a stay that may be a few days longer would be good though.

How much of those events does ESPN cover? I know they do a Sunday night baseball game but I have no clue on the NBA & NHL playoffs. Pretty sure the Masters isn't on ESPN.

All of those cities would be awesome. Your task, if you choose to accept it, is to contact the leaders of all these cities and convince them to submit bids to host the D1 NCAA Wrestling Championships.

Meanwhile, I would love to see the tourney moved to mid April.
If I get to shoot guns at bad guys and have the pretty girls hang all over me, I'm your guy.

I

Unlike popular opinions wishing for a move to a calendar location allowing wrestling to be the biggest and brightest star, I sincerely believe the NCAA tournament is currently located in the calendar location that allows it to shine its brightest. In mid April the NBA and NHL playoffs are kicking off and baseball is starting. A week earlier than mid April the Masters is being contested.
For the life of me, I cannot see any of those events except the Masters impacting wrestling. Who really cares about the start of the NBA and NHL playoffs. Those are usually over matched games anyway, and in a three day wrestling event, at most you'd miss two games. Heck, wrestling would likely be over for the day as the games start, and you'd get to watch them in a sports bar with buddies. Baseball is a 162 game season. Is it that important to see game 8, 9, and 10 of a 162 game season. NO. I can see the draw of the Master since it's a specific event of top tier golfer, but that's one weekend. Hold nationals the following weekend, and honestly I don't see the downside. It would open up more venues and the weather would be vastly improved.

For the life of me, I cannot see any of those events except the Masters impacting wrestling. Who really cares about the start of the NBA and NHL playoffs. Those are usually over matched games anyway, and in a three day wrestling event, at most you'd miss two games. Heck, wrestling would likely be over for the day as the games start, and you'd get to watch them in a sports bar with buddies. Baseball is a 162 game season. Is it that important to see game 8, 9, and 10 of a 162 game season. NO. I can see the draw of the Master since it's a specific event of top tier golfer, but that's one weekend. Hold nationals the following weekend, and honestly I don't see the downside. It would open up more venues and the weather would be vastly improved.
One big problem with NBA and NHL is arena availability during the playoffs. No big deal in the regular season, can schedule those teams on the road. For April, virtually every major metro is difficult to book.

Would probably drive wrestling back into the Des Moines type cities.

One big problem with NBA and NHL is arena availability during the playoffs. No big deal in the regular season, can schedule those teams on the road. For April, virtually every major metro is difficult to book.

True, hadn't thought of that. Heck, in mid April you can start renting out stadiums with retractable domes and have 40,000 fans.

It isn't how those other sports impact wrestling per se. Rather, how does it impact the television coverage of wrestling. Where wrestling is currently located, ESPN loves wrestling and provides massive amounts of coverage and promotion. If ESPN has other sports available to broadcast that may generate more revenue the probability the wrestling broadcasting lessens is greater than moderate.

If you are making out in a parked car with the prettiest girl in school it sure doesn't make alot of sense to get out and jump in another car just because you think there may be an even prettier girl in that car.

Not sure why the playoffs should be so different from the regular season. First, only half of the teams make the playoffs. Second, we are only talking about 3 days for the NCAAs. Seems to me it would be pretty easy to adjust the playoff schedule if NCAAs were in a city where a team made the playoffs. We are only talking about moving a game by a day or two.

This has been discussed at NWCA Meetings. A search on "Blue Ribbon Task Force" will yield several articles. Here's a small segment from Andy Hamilton on Trackwrestling.com, containing not just the move, but also linking the move to a dual meet championship after the team championship.

• Official practices would begin on or around Nov. 10.
  • Competition would kick off during the semester break.
  • The first half of the season would feature a mixture of duals and individual tournaments leading up to March’s conference tournaments and the NCAA Championships.
  • The post-NCAA Championships portion of the season would only consist of duals.
  • The season would culminate with a two-weekend, 16-team dual tournament held on college campuses.
  • The bracket would be filled by conference dual champions and at-large selections.
  • The top eight seeds would each host dual meets on the dual tournament’s first weekend.
  • The top remaining seed after the first weekend would play host to an eight-team championship bracket the following weekend.

http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/PortalPost.jsp?postId=600555009&mc_cid=4baf50df78&mc_eid=d5d8f37546

This has been discussed at NWCA Meetings. A search on "Blue Ribbon Task Force" will yield several articles. Here's a small segment from Andy Hamilton on Trackwrestling.com, containing not just the move, but also linking the move to a dual meet championship after the team championship.

• Official practices would begin on or around Nov. 10.
  • Competition would kick off during the semester break.
  • The first half of the season would feature a mixture of duals and individual tournaments leading up to March’s conference tournaments and the NCAA Championships.
  • The post-NCAA Championships portion of the season would only consist of duals.
  • The season would culminate with a two-weekend, 16-team dual tournament held on college campuses.
  • The bracket would be filled by conference dual champions and at-large selections.
  • The top eight seeds would each host dual meets on the dual tournament’s first weekend.
  • The top remaining seed after the first weekend would play host to an eight-team championship bracket the following weekend.
http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/PortalPost.jsp?postId=600555009&mc_cid=4baf50df78&mc_eid=d5d8f37546
Just an opinion, but I believe the NWCA would throw NCAA wrestling under the bus for the creation of an NCAA Dual championship and then rationalize the entire process as natural selection or something just as silly.

... If you are making out in a parked car with the prettiest girl in school it sure doesn't make alot of sense to get out and jump in another car just because you think there may be an even prettier girl in that car.
Funny story. In the 1980's, I was making out in my parked Mercedes with the prettiest girl in school, and then Jordan Conaway's dad tapped on the window and yelled: "Get off the girl, I've got Phoebe Cates in the other car!" ;)

Funny story. In the 1980's, I was making out in my parked Mercedes with the prettiest girl in school, and then Jordan Conaway's dad tapped on the window and yelled: "Get off the girl, I've got Phoebe Cates in the other car!" ;)
I will have to ask Dave (Jordan's dad) if he was bragging or offering? :D

Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT