ADVERTISEMENT

What does DeSanto to Iowa do

nitlion6

Mar 26, 2012
The Hawks picked up another PA stud as they continue to chase not only the Nits, but also that elusive opportunity to be second best behind the Lions. This year on the post NCAA stage the Iowa wrestlers and staff seemed proud and even a bit giddy as they gathered their 3rd place trophy. Coach Brands did say he would never get use to 3rd place, but smiles and demeanor may have indicated otherwise.

The fellas on HR think the Hawks have 4, maybe 5 finalists, 8 AAs minimally and 135 to 160 points. Instead of a tournament comparison, I thought a dual look see.
The likelihood of a PSU Iowa dual this season is minimal, but what if?

125 Spencer isn't looking back now.
133 Assuming Bravo-Young for the Lions. I expect the young Lion to be another tougher than nails true freshman success. This is a PSU weight.
141 Nick Lee has already shown he is superior to Turk and if Murin gets this spot I do not see Murin able to keep up with Nick's scoring pace.
149 Berge is going to win a whole ton of matches, and will beat Lugo.
157 Jason
165 Cenzo
174 Mark
184 Rasheed
197 Bo
Hwt Stoll's size makes him a possible win.

The distance between the two remains vast.

It's easy to say in retrospect with Micic giving a great demonstration, but I've said for a long time now that DeSanto is a very tough guy to wrestle the first time around. Almost like you have to experience that tricep latch to give it its proper respect. Not sure I'd give RBY the edge first time around, but definitely the edge in the long view. As a frosh I don't think RBY is going to make him pay from the top position and it will be a neutral battle.

Iowa gets crap from you if they don't smile and crap if they do smile. Can't win! Iowa is a blue blood in wrestling. Always will be. Don't for get that

Reactions: minnhawkeye
The Hawks picked up another PA stud as they continue to chase not only the Nits, but also that elusive opportunity to be second best behind the Lions. This year on the post NCAA stage the Iowa wrestlers and staff seemed proud and even a bit giddy as they gathered their 3rd place trophy. Coach Brands did say he would never get use to 3rd place, but smiles and demeanor may have indicated otherwise.

The fellas on HR think the Hawks have 4, maybe 5 finalists, 8 AAs minimally and 135 to 160 points. Instead of a tournament comparison, I thought a dual look see.
The likelihood of a PSU Iowa dual this season is minimal, but what if?

125 Spencer isn't looking back now.
133 Assuming Bravo-Young for the Lions. I expect the young Lion to be another tougher than nails true freshman success. This is a PSU weight.
141 Nick Lee has already shown he is superior to Turk and if Murin gets this spot I do not see Murin able to keep up with Nick's scoring pace.
149 Berge is going to win a whole ton of matches, and will beat Lugo.
157 Jason
165 Cenzo
174 Mark
184 Rasheed
197 Bo
Hwt Stoll's size makes him a possible win.

The distance between the two remains vast.
6-4 PSU. PSU wins 141, 157-184. Swing matches at 133, 149, 197 and Hwt.

Reactions: Afw6006
6-4 PSU. PSU wins 141, 157-184. Swing matches at 133, 149, 197 and Hwt.
If Nickal is going 197, that’s not a swing match. If you accounted for that and still feel 197 is a tossup, you’ve got your Land of Lincoln kool aid brewing.

Nickal at 197 could continue the proud tradition of sticking Hawkeyes.

But 6-4 might be right if the Hawkeyes are primed.

The bottom line is Iowa runs a huge risk of loss through possible subtraction. While not wishing this on anyone, but IMO this signing significantly increases the risk of uncontrollable DeSanto injuring in practice the best wrestler in college - Lee.

One dedicated his life to beating the other. The other had a perfect record tarnished by the other. I fear things will get personal at some point, especially when one continually exhibits irrational behavior on the mat.

Again, not rooting for this as watching Lee wrestle is truly an opportunity to watch one of the few who has mastered the sport.

I imagine Tom and Terry sees a bit of themselves in DeSanto and that all saw it as a natural fit, and not only because DeSanto shores up 133 for Iowa and now has the best possible partner in Lee. DeSanto is as wired as anyone I've seen on the mat and now he has coaches that match his comportment.

On the other hand, Tom and Terry probably aren't the best impulse control monitors--they can barely restrict themselves to their own corner. And it's pretty clear DeSanto has moments where impulse control is an issue. Conventional wisdom is that he needs, in those instances, someone to drop the temperature, not raise it.

And it's further concerning that he's not even acknowledged his conduct in that Micic match as being something that needs correcting. I would like to think Tom and Terry at least pointed it out, but I also imagine most coaches carefully curb criticism during the recruiting process.

But then, perhaps the relationship works out great because, counterintuitively, Tom and Terry 'speak the same language' in the heat of the match and DeSanto responds better to coaching suggestions. I wish him luck.

Reactions: Fatmarc
DeSanto as an Iowa coach down the road just screams entertainment for years to come.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I imagine Tom and Terry sees a bit of themselves in DeSanto and that all saw it as a natural fit, and not only because DeSanto shores up 133 for Iowa and now has the best possible partner in Lee. DeSanto is as wired as anyone I've seen on the mat and now he has coaches that match his comportment.

On the other hand, Tom and Terry probably aren't the best impulse control monitors--they can barely restrict themselves to their own corner. And it's pretty clear DeSanto has moments where impulse control is an issue. Conventional wisdom is that he needs, in those instances, someone to drop the temperature, not raise it.

And it's further concerning that he's not even acknowledged his conduct in that Micic match as being something that needs correcting. I would like to think Tom and Terry at least pointed it out, but I also imagine most coaches carefully curb criticism during the recruiting process.

But then, perhaps the relationship works out great because, counterintuitively, Tom and Terry 'speak the same language' in the heat of the match and DeSanto responds better to coaching suggestions. I wish him luck.
With all that in mind, why expose a probable four time champion to injury from a possible 0-3 time AA? Makes little sense to me. I’d rather have a hole in my lineup.

You guys really think DeSanto is a risk to injure Spencer Lee? Did he hurt anyone at Drexel (I honestly don't know)?

Reactions: JimNazium
You guys really think DeSanto is a risk to injure Spencer Lee? Did he hurt anyone at Drexel (I honestly don't know)?
Depends on your definition of hurt. Punching guys in the face hurts, but only causes permanent damage if you've got hands of stone. Doubtful he is a risk to Spencer.
51PWXn3MbjL.jpg

Reactions: lionlover
With all that in mind, why expose a probable four time champion to injury from a possible 0-3 time AA? Makes little sense to me. I’d rather have a hole in my lineup.
I think the risk of DeSanto injuring Lee in practice is wildly overstated. It kind of implies that DeSanto can't differentiate between practice and matches, and that the coaching staff have no control over their practices. If DeSanto was a genuine risk to his practice partners I doubt Drexel would've let him wrestle, no matter what upside he represented to the program.

If impulse control is a concern, Lee also could be the worst possible workout partner for him. The signature accomplishment of his young life was his Vision Quest win over Lee during his senior year of high school. What does it do to his psyche if Lee is beating the snot out of him every day?

Reactions: Dogwelder
I seriously wonder what their scholly investment is here. There’s a reasonable chance that what they get in terms of NCAA points here might be less than they could have gotten from another 33, 41, 84, at the same price.

If Nickal is going 197, that’s not a swing match. If you accounted for that and still feel 197 is a tossup, you’ve got your Land of Lincoln kool aid brewing.

Nickal at 197 could continue the proud tradition of sticking Hawkeyes.

But 6-4 might be right if the Hawkeyes are primed.
C'mon. I actually had the Hawks winning 197 and Nickal at 184.

I seriously wonder what their scholly investment is here. There’s a reasonable chance that what they get in terms of NCAA points here might be less than they could have gotten from another 33, 41, 84, at the same price.

Probably no (or very little) scholly investment at this point since the ships for the 2018-19 season were already allocated quite some time ago.

The bottom line is Iowa runs a huge risk of loss through possible subtraction. While not wishing this on anyone, but IMO this signing significantly increases the risk of uncontrollable DeSanto injuring in practice the best wrestler in college - Lee.

One dedicated his life to beating the other. The other had a perfect record tarnished by the other. I fear things will get personal at some point, especially when one continually exhibits irrational behavior on the mat.

Again, not rooting for this as watching Lee wrestle is truly an opportunity to watch one of the few who has mastered the sport.
I agree that the signing of Desanto, just like anyone else, increases the risk of him injuring Lee in practice. It goes from zero to very minimal chance it happens.

I think the risk of DeSanto injuring Lee in practice is wildly overstated. It kind of implies that DeSanto can't differentiate between practice and matches, and that the coaching staff have no control over their practices. If DeSanto was a genuine risk to his practice partners I doubt Drexel would've let him wrestle, no matter what upside he represented to the program.
Seriously. Do people really believe the coaches aren't watching those 2 working out together? I'd be surprised if half of the team doesn't stop to watch them.

Also, as if Lee is defenseless against whatever DeSanto might do (if anything).

Nothing beyond normal wear and tear injury risk will happen to Lee.

Reactions: PapaBearSLIM
Seriously. Do people really believe the coaches aren't watching those 2 working out together? I'd be surprised if half of the team doesn't stop to watch them.

I don't know. Iirc, PSU's coaches didn't let Nolf and Zain go against each other very often because of their intensity.

Yes.

Allowing a wrestler already on his way to probably becoming a four time NCAA and eventual World champ that has already lost training time to shoulder and knee injuries to wrestle every day against someone who has already tried to purposefully injure another wrestler in a match when things weren’t going his way and will only yield a handful of points still doesn’t make sense.

The thing is Lee is already there - he doesn’t need an unbalanced training partner that might push him. The risk outweighs the reward IMO. Hope I’m wrong.

Yes.

Allowing a wrestler already on his way to probably becoming a four time NCAA and eventual World champ that has already lost training time to shoulder and knee injuries to wrestle every day against someone who has already tried to purposefully injure another wrestler in a match when things weren’t going his way and will only yield a handful of points still doesn’t make sense.

The thing is Lee is already there - he doesn’t need an unbalanced training partner that might push him. The risk outweighs the reward IMO. Hope I’m wrong.
Unbalanced? Look it up...not sure you intended it to go there. Doesn't fit, imo.

Yes ... The risk outweighs the reward IMO. Hope I’m wrong.
I hope you’re wrong, too. But if you turn out to have been right, people will still claim, “but it was a freak accident; nobody could have predicted the freak accident; you didn’t specify *how* the harm was going to come about. ;)

Unbalanced? Look it up...not sure you intended it to go there. Doesn't fit, imo.
Here’s some synonyms that I might use to describe someone who went beyond the rules to willfully try to hurt someone when they were losing a single match. Now just imagine the potential frustration that might build in that same individual getting his a** handed to him every day in practice. Feel free to pick one more to your liking.

Synonyms of unbalanced:
balmy, batty, bonkers, crazy, cuckoo, daffy, daft, kooky (also kookie), loco [slang], loony, mental, screwy, unhinged, unsound, wacky.

I’m sure Mr. Micic could come up with a few more.

Last edited:
Here’s some synonyms that I might describe someone who went beyond the rules to willfully try to hurt someone when they were losing. Pick one more to your liking.

Synonyms of unbalanced:

If, as has been widely reported, the issue relates to Aspergers or another variant of Autism Spectrum Disorder, I see no problem with using the word “unbalanced” in the context you used it. This is from an article about symptoms of ASD:

“In some rarer cases, children with autism can display unbalanced emotional reactions to normal situations. For instance, they throw a temper tantrum inappropriately or show physically aggressive behavior to themselves, their parents, siblings, or other children (i.e., biting or head banging). They may seem to be unable to control their emotions and physical responses, especially when they find themselves in new, strange, or stressful situations.”

https://m.activebeat.com/your-health/children/10-early-autism-symptoms-in-young-children/4/

Reactions: Antaeus
Iowa gets crap from you if they don't smile and crap if they do smile. Can't win! Iowa is a blue blood in wrestling. Always will be. Don't for get that
Just pointing out they seemed to feel some pride in wrestling a very good tournament.

Also thought I would point out that the Hawks aren't as close as some think.

A rumor/speculation (what would be the difference?), I believe started by a very knowledgeable poster. Plus Roar said nothing specific, but stated lots of talk about changes floating around.

If, as has been widely reported, the issue relates to Aspergers or another variant of Autism Spectrum Disorder, I see no problem with using the word “unbalanced” in the context you used it. This is from an article about symptoms of ASD:

“In some rarer cases, children with autism can display unbalanced emotional reactions to normal situations. For instance, they throw a temper tantrum inappropriately or show physically aggressive behavior to themselves, their parents, siblings, or other children (i.e., biting or head banging). They may seem to be unable to control their emotions and physical responses, especially when they find themselves in new, strange, or stressful situations.”

https://m.activebeat.com/your-health/children/10-early-autism-symptoms-in-young-children/4/
Even without the medical diagnosis, anytime my best wrestler was practicing against the poster child of bad sportsmanship, I’d bubble wrap my golden boy and have a coach with a baseball bat standing over the other guy.

A rumor/speculation (what would be the difference?), I believe started by a very knowledgeable poster. Plus Roar said nothing specific, but stated lots of talk about changes floating around.
I just meant, is it a rumor going around or just speculation from a few people only in this thread. I was wondering if someone on here just had a whim that it would be nice for Bo to weigh 197 as opposed to someone like Roar having heard he was going to 197. I'll search through Roar's posts. Thanks

I miss his posts on Flo. Every year was gonna be Michigan's year and every recruit wanted to go there.
He does have a twitter account. Don’t have a link offhand, but he’ll pop up on Flos feed. He’s some sort of environmental advocate in MI I think.

If impulse control is a concern, Lee also could be the worst possible workout partner for him. The signature accomplishment of his young life was his Vision Quest win over Lee during his senior year of high school. What does it do to his psyche if Lee is beating the snot out of him every day?
Seems AD can't handle losing. I don't see this ending well. If that's all right

If, as has been widely reported, the issue relates to Aspergers or another variant of Autism Spectrum Disorder, I see no problem with using the word “unbalanced” in the context you used it.
One little hitch: neither he nor his parents have confirmed he has the condition. It is entirely message board rumor.

Speculating on a rumored medical condition? Not how we would have handled it.

It literally makes no difference. We'll dominate once again and Iowa Fans will be left saying wait until next year. Remember the old adage, when you're not the lead dog the view is always the same. Iowa's view hasn't changed in nearly a decade.

ADVERTISEMENT