ADVERTISEMENT

What does DeSanto to Iowa do

I hope AD can work out the competitive issues that were displayed at NCAAs. I'm surprised no actions were taken against him by the NCAA (maybe there is a double secret probation), but any additional attempt to injure a competitor, needs to be dealt with immediately.
I'm not surprised. NCAA did absolutely nothing about Billy George.

165 for Young is an easy cut. 157 seems like a lot but if the process of reshaping the body has already begun I think it will be doable for the kid. This is a kid who has wanted to be a Hawkeye since elementary school and if the Brands' give him a plan to get there and be effective he will get it done.

The Hawks picked up another PA stud as they continue to chase not only the Nits, but also that elusive opportunity to be second best behind the Lions. This year on the post NCAA stage the Iowa wrestlers and staff seemed proud and even a bit giddy as they gathered their 3rd place trophy. Coach Brands did say he would never get use to 3rd place, but smiles and demeanor may have indicated otherwise.

The fellas on HR think the Hawks have 4, maybe 5 finalists, 8 AAs minimally and 135 to 160 points. Instead of a tournament comparison, I thought a dual look see.
The likelihood of a PSU Iowa dual this season is minimal, but what if?

125 Spencer isn't looking back now.
133 Assuming Bravo-Young for the Lions. I expect the young Lion to be another tougher than nails true freshman success. This is a PSU weight.
141 Nick Lee has already shown he is superior to Turk and if Murin gets this spot I do not see Murin able to keep up with Nick's scoring pace.
149 Berge is going to win a whole ton of matches, and will beat Lugo.
157 Jason
165 Cenzo
174 Mark
184 Rasheed
197 Bo
Hwt Stoll's size makes him a possible win.

The distance between the two remains vast.

Regarding PSU Iowa dual.....aren't we still waiting for Iowa to reciprocate us going to Carver in an off year? Turk, any news on this?

Regarding PSU Iowa dual.....aren't we still waiting for Iowa to reciprocate us going to Carver in an off year? Turk, any news on this?
Yes sir. We continue to wait on the Brands brothers to agree to a reciprocal trip. Just guessing, but we will continue to wait until Tom and Terry seriously believe they have something greater than a "remote" chance at a victory.

Yes we are waiting or at least we were. Cody may be talking to them (no idea if he is) but even if we are talking they can't actually schedule anything until after the BIG dual schedule comes out and we see what dates are available.

... The Drexel staff handled it well, but not certain how Terry will handle it. But, there certainly is the Ramos precedent and we know how that turned out ...
There is also the Cejudo precedent, which also turned out well, for a while. So, Terry (and Tom) are unbalanced and they are good with a certain type of unbalanced/insecure/chip-on-a-shoulder people. I think that type of unbalanced person values authenticity above all else, and Terry (and Tom) is great for that. I think Cael is too calm and too measured, too Dinoco, for that type of insecure Cejudo/Ramos/Suriano/DeSanto person to wholly trust him.

Last edited:
There is also the Cejudo precedent, which also turned out well, for a while. So, Terry (and Tom) are unbalanced and they are good with a certain type of unbalanced/insecure/chip-on-a-shoulder people. I think that type of unbalanced person values authenticity above all else, and Terry (And Tom) is great for that. I think Cael is too calm and too measured, too Dynoco, for that type of insecure Cejudo/Ramos/Suriano/DeSanto person to wholly trust him.
In short, Cael is too Scandinavian/detached and not enough Mediterranean in style for some kids. In contrast, the Brands are more Mediterranean/visceral, and they're perfect for DeSanto.

Last edited:
Looking back through posts 70 through 80 in this thread...looks like Kemerer is moving up, way up ;).

It will be very interesting to see if AD points and calls out TnT after an emotional loss. The Drexel staff handled it well, but not certain how Terry will handle it. But, there certainly is the Ramos precedent and we know how that turned out. It certainly will be interesting, and I hope AD can work out the competitive issues that were displayed at NCAAs. I'm surprised no actions were taken against him by the NCAA (maybe there is a double secret probation), but any additional attempt to injure a competitor, needs to be dealt with immediately. Again, going to be interesting season again and I'll be in Pittsburgh to help celebrate another PSU Team Championship
Seems to me that when T or T told Stoll to shake, I think it was, Nick Nevills hand he just ignored him. I doubt that would even enter a PSU wrestlers mind. Wish I could go.

Seems to me that when T or T told Stoll to shake, I think it was, Nick Nevills hand he just ignored him. I doubt that would even enter a PSU wrestlers mind. Wish I could go.
That would be the Kasper match where he got pinned. Below. No where close to trying to break an arm. Second one is his interview post match. He mentions he is a poor loser (his words, not mine). Thinking Sam needs to open up and have a bit more fun.

But, the size difference is unbelievable between the two. It looks funny actually. Certainly Cassar can compete with the big boys (not named Coon) if he moves up. It was nice seeing TaTo's tweet regarding the size difference disparity between Kasper and Sammie as well.

Reactions: purescurve
That would be the Kasper match where he got pinned. Below. No where close to trying to break an arm. Second one is his interview post match. He mentions he is a poor loser (his words, not mine). Thinking Sam needs to open up and have a bit more fun.

But, the size difference is unbelievable between the two. It looks funny actually. Certainly Cassar can compete with the big boys (not named Coon) if he moves up. It was nice seeing TaTo's tweet regarding the size difference disparity between Kasper and Sammie as well.

props to stoll for manning up. couldn't have been easy to do.

In short, Cael is too Scandinavian/detached and not enough Mediterranean in style for some kids. In contrast, the Brands are more Mediterranean/visceral, and they're perfect for DeSanto.
Good thing this didn't apply to Nico Megaludis or Vincenzo Joseph.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Stoll just finished 5th at NCAAs behind 4 seniors so not likely to make the finals means I guess no one at 285 is likely to make the finals.

Well, if that's your one and only criterion, then, yeah sure, Stoll is likely to make the finals. Better? But you're right, I probably undersold his chances a bit.

Not sure I understand the level of personal dislike for the DeSanto kid that emanates from your posts.
Do not dislike the DeSanto kid. But as a long time coach of many kids in many sports I have zero tolerance for bad sportsmanship, particularly when it comes to deliberately try to injure an opponent. As you can see from my Cael quote below I too believe there is much more to coaching than teaching them a skill set.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I imagine Tom and Terry sees a bit of themselves in DeSanto and that all saw it as a natural fit, and not only because DeSanto shores up 133 for Iowa and now has the best possible partner in Lee. DeSanto is as wired as anyone I've seen on the mat and now he has coaches that match his comportment.

On the other hand, Tom and Terry probably aren't the best impulse control monitors--they can barely restrict themselves to their own corner. And it's pretty clear DeSanto has moments where impulse control is an issue. Conventional wisdom is that he needs, in those instances, someone to drop the temperature, not raise it.

And it's further concerning that he's not even acknowledged his conduct in that Micic match as being something that needs correcting. I would like to think Tom and Terry at least pointed it out, but I also imagine most coaches carefully curb criticism during the recruiting process.

But then, perhaps the relationship works out great because, counterintuitively, Tom and Terry 'speak the same language' in the heat of the match and DeSanto responds better to coaching suggestions. I wish him luck.

And AD will toss Terry without being asked :)

Reactions: nitlion6 and tikk10
DeSanto to Iowa gives them a quality 133lber. I still think his offense is very limited and unless he develops some other attacks aside from his dump from neutral he won't AA. Micic scouted him and it was terribly easy for him to block the dump while in the tie.

He also needs to get a lot better in the other positions. He's needs tons of work getting out from bottom and his top game is pretty non-existent. He seems to get most off his NF points from the dump from neutral. He has a tilt but it's not elite level like Spencer who can strap that tilt on anybody and turn them.

I really liked DeSanto and was rooting for him in the NCAA but two things really soured me on him. First it was his tantrum at the NCAA tournament. It was ridiculous. And secondly it was him going to Iowa. The second one I can handle a lot better than the first, though.

If he can develop more attacks from neutral and drastically improve his top/bottom game he can AA, but I still think that's a lot to improve in one year. I don't think he will AA next year.

DeSanto to Iowa gives them a quality 133lber. I still think his offense is very limited and unless he develops some other attacks aside from his dump from neutral he won't AA. Micic scouted him and it was terribly easy for him to block the dump while in the tie.

He also needs to get a lot better in the other positions. He's needs tons of work getting out from bottom and his top game is pretty non-existent. He seems to get most off his NF points from the dump from neutral. He has a tilt but it's not elite level like Spencer who can strap that tilt on anybody and turn them.

I really liked DeSanto and was rooting for him in the NCAA but two things really soured me on him. First it was his tantrum at the NCAA tournament. It was ridiculous. And secondly it was him going to Iowa. The second one I can handle a lot better than the first, though.

If he can develop more attacks from neutral and drastically improve his top/bottom game he can AA, but I still think that's a lot to improve in one year. I don't think he will AA next year.

Desanto lost in sv in the R12 as a true frosh. I expect he will improve in all areas by next season which gives him a good chance to be AA this coming season. Not a guarantee by any means as 133 is going to be really deep.

Desanto lost in sv in the R12 as a true frosh. I expect he will improve in all areas by next season which gives him a good chance to be AA this coming season. Not a guarantee by any means as 133 is going to be really deep.
... and without that 3rd period meltdown against Delvecchio, he places this year.

I'd also not use Micic as evidence of the field catching up to DeSanto. Micic (1) is a JR freestyle world medalist, (2) was better on feet than Gross in the finals, (3) showed superior ability to make live adjustments against AA level competition -- at least Gross and Pletcher. Also there's evidence of DeSanto gaining on the field (Mueller).

Agree that the field is very deep and he will have to improve. What it boils down to for me: he'll likely be a quarterfinalist again and lose there (to Gross, Micic, or Fix). His next match will decide if/where he places. If it's Wilson, IMO he's got an issue. Pletcher or Parker would be interesting. Too soon to tell if RBY or Teasdale. Good shot against the rest of the field.

Frankly I was surprised DeSanto did not AA last season. I have him somewhere on that podium in the Burgh next year. Not in the top 3, but anywhere from 4th to 8th.

Frankly I was surprised DeSanto did not AA last season. I have him somewhere on that podium in the Burgh next year. Not in the top 3, but anywhere from 4th to 8th.
That's the thing about NCAA's...surprises are the norm. After decades of "surprises", it's only the truly huge upsets that should be shocking.

This year, if my quick check is accurate, 23 out of the 80 AA's were seeded outside the top-8, and 7 were unseeded, or outside the top-16. Surprising?

Using the highest seed to lose at each weight class, there were one #2 seed, one #3 seed, one #4 seed, five #5 seeds, one #6 seed, and three #7 seeds that failed to AA.

There's another factor too. One never knows how a freshman will react to the ultra-bright lights. Some embrace it, some do not...and it shows in performance.

With a year under his belt, and training in a far better room, odds are DeSanto will be on the podium...but one never knows, do they?

Reactions: tabenn
Wasn’t Kem pretty beat up physically last year? I could see he and Bull bouncing up a weight. Not sure who would be slotted into 157, though.
according the the HR board-It took the bull a full RS year to build up to 165--they say he is to small for 174--But Kemerer is a good fit for 174--I find this odd also--but stranger things have happened..

according the the HR board-It took the bull a full RS year to build up to 165--they say he is to small for 174--But Kemerer is a good fit for 174--I find this odd also--but stranger things have happened..
Fans being fans...debating the landing place for their wrestlers. Understandable really, though I doubt many know the facts. Good discussion over on HR about this, though we can be sure TnT & Co. have a handle on this.

Purely a guess, as I add my 2 cents...sounds like 165 Marinelli, and 174 Kemerer, with PA native Young possibly manning 157. Time will tell.

as noted on this forum, I like watching the kid wrestle. I became concerned when he didn't win his conf. Seemed the videos may have been watched.

Will be interesting to see if DeSanto can handle the work out in the room. Lee,Gilman,Clark and even some of the 133's. He should learn a lot from these guys and for sure will have to handle some beatings.
Only time will tell the kid has talent that is for sure..

Will be interesting to see if DeSanto can handle the work out in the room. Lee,Gilman,Clark and even some of the 133's. He should learn a lot from these guys and for sure will have to handle some beatings.

I thought one of DeSanto's selling points was that he has a huge gas tank and practice partners can't hang with him? There's this comment from Drexel's coach in January as quoted in this InterMat article:

"DeSanto's physical style also has taken a toll on his teammates. 'We have to rotate guys against Austin in practice,' Azevedo said. 'He just suffocates his opponents in the room. It's difficult to match his pace and it becomes overwhelming. No one can hang in there with him for very long.'"

I thought one of DeSanto's selling points was that he has a huge gas tank and practice partners can't hang with him? There's this comment from Drexel's coach in January as quoted in this InterMat article:

"DeSanto's physical style also has taken a toll on his teammates. 'We have to rotate guys against Austin in practice,' Azevedo said. 'He just suffocates his opponents in the room. It's difficult to match his pace and it becomes overwhelming. No one can hang in there with him for very long.'"
Key word being Drexel. DeSanto will just be another guy in the room that can go all out for long periods. I'm sure it will be humbling for him. Hope he can handle it.

Reactions: Ski and minnhawkeye
Key word being Drexel. DeSanto will just be another guy in the room that can go all out for long periods. I'm sure it will be humbling for him. Hope he can handle it.
Im sure your board could confirm this but, Im told he did roll around on a visit, and took his lumps like you would want.

the rumor sounds reasonable because I would have to believe TnT would want to see that up close before extending an offer.

cant always believe the street, but its at least logical.

Yes, but what does that have to do with the Cenzo-IMar video?!? o_O ;)

Last edited:
... and without that 3rd period meltdown against Delvecchio, he places this year.

I'd also not use Micic as evidence of the field catching up to DeSanto. Micic (1) is a JR freestyle world medalist, (2) was better on feet than Gross in the finals, (3) showed superior ability to make live adjustments against AA level competition -- at least Gross and Pletcher. Also there's evidence of DeSanto gaining on the field (Mueller).

Agree that the field is very deep and he will have to improve. What it boils down to for me: he'll likely be a quarterfinalist again and lose there (to Gross, Micic, or Fix). His next match will decide if/where he places. If it's Wilson, IMO he's got an issue. Pletcher or Parker would be interesting. Too soon to tell if RBY or Teasdale. Good shot against the rest of the field.
I think Lizak may pose some matchup problems for DeSanto as well, unless DeSanto can run him over in neutral. I didn't watch a ton of DeSanto's matches last year, but it seems he struggled on bottom at times (which isn't surprising for a true freshman).

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Desanto struggled underneath last year, but he was a true freshman against seasoned college wrestlers. I expect him to improve greatly in this position just like I think Nick Lee will improve here. The biggest concern I would have were the rumors of him wanting to go 141. He is young and could still be growing making 133 a tough cut especially in the years going forward after this year. Iowa does not need additional traffic at 141. All of those worries aside I think Iowa will be a place the young man thrives. He is fun to watch.

Reactions: nitlion6
I think Lizak may pose some matchup problems for DeSanto as well, unless DeSanto can run him over in neutral. I didn't watch a ton of DeSanto's matches last year, but it seems he struggled on bottom at times (which isn't surprising for a true freshman).
Agreed and good catch. IMO DeSanto is much better on feet than Lizak, but even that might not be enough -- Lizak could score 12 points from top in one period against a guy who struggles on bottom. He's the one wild card in the entire field (at least for DeSanto).

Lizak is also a guy who could lose earlier in the tourney, and thus be a potential R12 opponent if the brackets lined up that way.

You only go to NCAAs if your team is going to win or at least has a chance to win? Most of us go to watch the great wrestling. May be a surprise to you but pre Cael when PSU wasn't in the running for the team title we still had hundreds of fans going to NCAAs every year.

Wow, hundreds you say? For a team that isn't expected to win? With unbridled support like that, the arena in Pittsburgh this year should be about 1/3 full. As I have read here the support is unmatched and there is only one team that even has a chance to win(PSU) this year the other schools would be lucky to bring a hundred fans. So it could be damn near empty. o_O

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT