ADVERTISEMENT

US Open

8th grader at McCort. Moved from NC. Probably one of the reasons McCort got stung - along with others.

He's beaten a bunch of HS state champs this year. May be as good a prospect as Bassett.
Beat Vince Kilkeary 16-6 at Super 32. Not sure how old he is but obviously still cadet eligible lol.

Is Dean Hamiti still Junior eligible?

I can’t think of anyone else that could give Facundo a run for his money at WTTs.

Carter Neves with a quick 10-0 TF and into the finals at 110kg. May be a name worth remembering.

Joe Sealey is ridicuous. If they couldn’t land Shapiro, they should be all over Sealey. Kid just keeps scoring and isn’t afraid to give up points
I love Sealey. His finals match with KJ Evans should be a fun one. Evans just beat Lockett who was a freshman State champ in Oklahoma and won the Ironman. Evans is an Oklahoma commit I think.

Jesuroga is very good but man does he already have the Iowa style down pat. In his match against Gibson he just hand fought and pushed the smaller Gibson to the edge over and over. Got 4 step outs I think plus a td to win 6-1. Will be interesting in the finals against Forrest. Forrest is really long and lanky so I can see Jesuroga overpowering him and pushing him around but Forrest is also really slick and if he can create a little space I can see him getting in and scoring. Will be an interesting chess match.

Reactions: fronk71 and psualt
Who do people have in the Bassett vs Lilledahl match? I think they said on FRL that this is the first time that 2 cadet medalists have met up to make the team the following year. Lilledahl is supposedly cutting a bit of weight to get to 51kg so that might be a factor. I’m picking Bassett but not super sure about it. Really wish this match was 6 min. 4 is just not long enough!

Reactions: kevin310
Flip side: Carter Marx at 86KG is also one of my former athletes, and I once boo'd him at the podium of Northern Plains for winning Greco despite not scoring any of his own points. His grandparents were not thrilled with me. Now he's an AA, too.

Reactions: danoftw and hlstone
Just a random thing I noticed based on social media tea leaves. Starocci seems to have really taken Facundo under his wing and has really taken a personal interest in his development. A lot of photos of the two of them practicing together and Carter sends inspirational stuff to him all the time. I wonder if he sees a lot of himself (as someone mentioned, Carter was struggling with his offense at first in the room) at the same stage and is determined to find Alex that same breakthrough (much like Mark did with him)

Just a random thing I noticed based on social media tea leaves. Starocci seems to have really taken Facundo under his wing and has really taken a personal interest in his development. A lot of photos of the two of them practicing together and Carter sends inspirational stuff to him all the time. I wonder if he sees a lot of himself (as someone mentioned, Carter was struggling with his offense at first in the room) at the same stage and is determined to find Alex that same breakthrough (much like Mark did with him)
giphy.gif

I was just considering a weird factoid that occurred to me.
Isaiah Martinez had a great career at Illinois. He started his career with two straight national championships. He was a 4x NCAA finalist. Can't do much better than that.

But I've actually watched only 4 of his matches. And he's lost every one of them. I watched when he was undefeated for his career and Jason Nolf planted him with a weird Nolf-like move. Then Cenzo beat him in back-to-back NCAA finals, including that infamous inside trip to a pin. Then yesterday I was watching when he took on David McFadden.

I was excited to watch Imar wrestle because Cenzo had just upset Ringer and I thought it likely that we'd witness a 3rd Cenzo-Imar collision. Right. Imar had the match well in hand, when McFadden threw a cradle and decked him again. Geez, I've watched 4 Imar matches, and he was decked 3 times.

I figure I'm a curse for Imar. I had the same problem watching the Flyers when I lived in Philly. Every time I turned on a Flyers game, the other team scored within a minute (one time it was 10 seconds), till I figured the Flyers would be a lot better off if I didn't watch them. Just to help him out, I'm giving up watching Imar.
thats so true it seems no matter which of my fav teams is playing and winning then when I turn the game on they lose WTF!!

This “rivalry” is becoming Nickal-Martin esque
From the Outer Circle:

“I really like Riggens and his ability to get to the legs. Haines is very tough but I’m not sure it’s a gap that can’t be closed once Riggens gets into the room. Didn’t Clark get waxed by Guilibon in high school?”

Problem with theory - Riggins is bigger than a Jockey and the Hawks have struggled developing regular sized humans

Last edited:
Carter struggling with offense? Yeah no shit, Nolf,Meatball, Noodle Arms, Marky…. im sure none of those guys wanted to be the first to give up a TD to him.
Think it worked out fairly well for CStar.
Im pretty stoked for Facundo’s debut,and feel if CStar had the chops to be a NC, there is no good reason that AFac cant as well.

Last edited:
From the Outer Circle:

“I really like Riggens and his ability to get to the legs. Haines is very tough but I’m not sure it’s a gap that can’t be closed once Riggens gets into the room. Didn’t Clark get waxed by Guilibon in high school?”

Problem with theory - Riggins is bigger than a Jockey and the Hawks have struggled developing regular sized humans

I've gotta give the HR regulars credit. They've had only 4 different individual national champs over the last decade, but they keep those names ready anytime they need an example that suggests they have the best room for developing talent.

4 different individual NC vs 17 different individual NC ... nothing more needs to be said.

I've gotta give the HR regulars credit. They've had only 4 different individual national champs over the last decade, but they keep those names ready anytime they need an example that suggests they have the best room for developing talent.

4 different individual NC vs 17 different individual NC ... nothing more needs to be said.
Wasn’t Guilibon 1-1 against Clark in college?

But our guys were developed. We can't all start with top 10 P4P guys at each weight

- MVPfanatic

well we all know marinelli is the greatest hawk of all time,just ask their fans!!LOL

From the Outer Circle:

Problem with that theory is Riggins just plain isn't that good. Unless he fills in for injury, can suck down to the hole at 157 or Kennedy goes to 174 he won't be an option to make the lineup until he is at least a Jr. He's not beating out Kennedy or Brands who isn't a world beater either. You guys better find another team to focus on for contention because Iowa's recruiting has more holes than swiss cheese. Being a top 5 team is their highpoint goal after next year with their status quo level of recruiting. Cassioppi and Woods will be the only guys left who project to high AA based on actual results vs unfounded expectations and it will be their last year. Kennedy and Ayala are the only two recent recruits on the team I have optimism about. Two guys in the last two classes. The incoming class might get something from Franklin. Two guys and a maybe in 3 classes isn't going to get the job done.

T
CMIW but didnt Haines get a World Medal and would be sitting in the Finals?

Im prolly wrong, as its doubtful Haines would have wrestled at Open at all right?
That is only for senior level, not juniors or cadets. Winner of the open in juniors sits to the best of three.

But our guys were developed. We can't all start with top 10 P4P guys at each weight

- MVPfanatic
I literally have never been on the Iowa is the master of development bandwagon. I have been on the recruiting needs to improve bandwagon. I think the Brands are above average at development, coaching in the room is probably one of their better points but not to the degree that it can make up for poor recruiting.

- MVPfanatic
Thinking about this…

SLee, Marinelli, Kemerer and Warner were all top 10 PBP recruits. Assad and Cass were top 20. ADS was also top 20 and spent his freshman year at Drexel where he made the blood round there. Eierman was a multi AA at Mizzo before transferring. I don’t know where Murin and Young were ranked but neither AA’d this year.

Who do they claim to have “developed”?

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Lion
That is only for senior level, not juniors or cadets. Winner of the open in juniors sits to the best of three.
Also Haines didn't medal last year, and that was at Cadets -- even if he had medaled, it wasn't in the same age group.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
From the Outer Circle:

Obviously they're talking about John Riggins. With the Hogs.

Reactions: baccafarmer
Wasn’t Guilibon 1-1 against Clark in college?

Good point. They met twice in 2015, Jimmy won at the dual 8-5, and Clark came back to win at NCAAs 7-5.

Can't argue that Cory had a better career though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT