ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Michigan State Dual Thread

My real concern is AB. I know some will argue he has 100% bonus rate, all TF and Falls, but his fall rate is only around 40%, and he let one guy get into the 3rd period for crying out loud!

Don’t even get me started on Carter who only has a 30% fall rate and has let 3 guys into the 3rd period and then settled for TF’s. No wonder he sat out this weekend. Something is obviously wrong with him.

Joking of course. I have the same concerns as everyone, and have to admit heart attack Haines had me pacing a lot (and my wife laughing at me), but he sure keeps it interesting….and fun.

My real concern is AB. I know some will argue he has 100% bonus rate, all TF and Falls, but his fall rate is only around 40%, and he let one guy get into the 3rd period for crying out loud!

Don’t even get me started on Carter who only has a 30% fall rate and has let 3 guys into the 3rd period and then settled for TF’s. No wonder he sat out this weekend. Something is obviously wrong with him.

Joking of course. I have the same concerns as everyone, and have to admit heart attack Haines had me pacing a lot (and my wife laughing at me), but he sure keeps it interesting….and fun.
This guy gets it

The 157 match was the mat h of the year.

Levi did get the reversal with w sec left, that match was in sane....

I did think they (the refs) went in favor of Levi one time which I did not care for, kinda tasted it. But saldate was solid, gave nothing and had Levi almost counting lights a few times.
well it didn't happen like sayin Spencer almost got off his back but he didnt!

I think it's also worth nothing that Saldate had 1 dual match loss in the last 2 years, which was to Quincy Monday last year (he beat Barraclough last year). He appears to be a better dual wrestler than tournament wrestler.

His losses this year are to Vince Zerban from Northern Colorado 9-5, Johnny Lovett from Central Michigan 9-6 and Lucas Revano from Penn 10-6. He doesn’t have a ranked win.

He also never beat Kaleb Young. He lost to him 4-0 in 2021 at Big 10’s and 5-3 in 2022 at Big 10’s.

He has beat Kendall Coleman multiple times, Will Lewan once and Brock Mauller from Missouri.
Get out of here with your facts.😀

Levi Haines vs Chase Saldate(Michigan State) - Full Match, with the Jeff Byers Call

This has the Byers call, but for those who listened to the B10+ call, one of the announcers I believe said "Saldate is wrestling against Islam" (I think someone pointed it out yesterday). Did anyone else catch that, and does anyone have any idea to what the kid was referring to?

I think next time they meet Levi and staff will look for more leg attacks and avoid upper body.
Except that wasn't the issue. Levi's issue yesterday was not finishing his first high crotch cleanly and quickly. That enabled Saldate to cradle him from that position.

Reactions: wrestlinPSU
If we had a right to trump Carter's nickname dubbing, I'd go with either "Motor" or "Manimal"

I don't think Carter calling him a Psycho is him giving him a nick name. No different than saying he is a beast. After his World Championship MM was selling a shirt with his name and The Leopard of Lake Country on it. He also has used a leopard emoji. So he appears to already have a nickname he likes. 🐆

Seriously? We need to find/create reasons why our resourceful, undefeated 157 isn’t providing us larger margins of victory? Must be weight cutting. Or that injury he’s hiding. Or the pressure of a #1 ranking. Or life in the shadow of lightning in a bottle. Can it ever just be another young man equally committed to the same tough sport, perhaps a bit stronger if not as skilled, with added motivation of battling the top guy in front of his home crowd, wrestling one helluva match?
No. First rule of any Penn State board. NEVER give the opponent any credit.

This has the Byers call, but for those who listened to the B10+ call, one of the announcers I believe said "Saldate is wrestling against Islam" (I think someone pointed it out yesterday). Did anyone else catch that, and does anyone have any idea to what the kid was referring to?
They were referring to Saldate's UFC wrestling training partners. like, "he wrestles against Islam, against Kabhib, and now against Haines."

Reactions: ClarkstonMark
well I think Kerk figured out the one leg in the air against Michigan,just charge forward and knock them down and you have the TD simple they should all do this!

Islam Makhachev. The UFC lightweight champion. He trains with Cormier and Saldate is a Cormier kid. It sounded like Saldate trained with that crew over the summer

I think it's also worth nothing that Saldate had 1 dual match loss in the last 2 years, which was to Quincy Monday last year (he beat Barraclough last year). He appears to be a better dual wrestler than tournament wrestler.
And Saldate has somewhere around 7 falls this season already. So he’s clearly better than AB and CStar and Levi was lucky to survive that match with his dignity intact.

• Haha
Reactions: Hotshoe
And Saldate has somewhere around 7 falls this season already. So he’s clearly better than AB and CStar and Levi was lucky to survive that match with his dignity intact.
He had the cradle locked pretty tight for a hot second there, so there is some truth to that sarcasm. LOL.

Reactions: PSUbluTX
Islam Makhachev. The UFC lightweight champion. He trains with Cormier and Saldate is a Cormier kid. It sounded like Saldate trained with that crew over the summer
It's shocking that for as little as the announcers knew about wrestling that they were able to pull this information out of their background material.

This is the first time I didn't see Levi smiling after the match. I suspect his expectations aren't being met. I like the idea of an angry Levi.

well I think Kerk figured out the one leg in the air against Michigan,just charge forward and knock them down and you have the TD simple they should all do this!

It isn't bulletproof - especially against lower weights. It makes you more susceptible to a Gramby Roll defense.

It's shocking that for as little as the announcers knew about wrestling that they were able to pull this information out of their background material.
Based on the entirety of the announcing, I'd guess they probably know a lot more about MMA than wrestling. LOL.

Can we just admit that overtime outside of tournaments, where someone HAS to win and advance, has been a miserable failure of an experiment? Let's go back to ties in dual meets.
I'd like to go to 2 minute, then one minute after until you have a winner. Or, just a continuation of 2 minute periods. I hate ties. All starting from the neutral position.

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
They glazed over that small, yet very critical detail. I don't follow UFC much and was quite confused by the comment.

They glazed over that small, yet very critical detail. I don't follow UFC much and was quite confused by the comment.
Yeah they said he had wrestled Khabib, Islam, and now Haines. It was odd and if you don’t follow the UFC it would’ve made no sense especially because they didn’t give any backstory. Khabib is the previous UFC lightweight champ and his father coached him and Islam until he passed away a couple years ago. They are from Dagestan and high level wrestlers and grapplers.

Reactions: hlstone
when you on both legs granby won't help!

Ummm, they would Gramby as you push forward aggressively (i.e., diving head first back towards the direction of the push) - IOW, you are going to be pushing directly over the top of the Gramby Roll. You don't have two legs if you only have one in the air as you described. The Gramby Roll would go underneath your effort to drive straight through.

Yeah they said he had wrestled Khabib, Islam, and now Haines. It was odd and if you don’t follow the UFC it would’ve made no sense especially because they didn’t give any backstory. Khabib is the previous UFC lightweight champ and his father coached him and Islam until he passed away a couple years ago. They are from Dagestan and high level wrestlers and grapplers.
I thought the phrase they used was "fought against" rather than "wrestle."

Edit. Listened to it again (cause I'm a sadist). They said wrestle.

Last edited:
That's a good one. Short, concise, looks good on a t-shirt. People should start using this when they put their KYPSW picks in.
When he takes the mat it's guaranteed

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT