ADVERTISEMENT

US Open

Your post is hard to understand. I think I agree
Most people who move to a different district from MS to HS have other reasons, & it’s not educational based.
My friend counted over 50 wrestlers at PIAA states who wrestled for a different school district in MS. This is a problem state wide and has been for decades.
I disagree. What percentage of the population lives in the same place from K to 12? Considering that there were over 500 wrestlers that competed at states, 50 seems to be a low number of "transfers" compared to the general public. 100 might be more in line.

The PIAA has a rule in place to govern transfers post 9th grade - which is the last year of JH in some school districts. Should the school that you attend for MS dictate where you can compete for the rest of your scholastic career? How about the school district you attend elementary school?

This issue gets conflated with the public vs. non-public when actually it should be a separate issue. If a kid moves to Council Rock North or Souderton or State College or Central Mountain or Delaware Valley in the 7th or 8th grade nobody gets their panties in a wad. And it happens all the time.

I get that McCort is a serial offender which is why they are getting slapped. But they are getting screwed IMO - they are getting this exorbitant penalty in large part because of the legal things they are doing - having 7th and 8th graders move and enroll. If they just had the big Gibson and the big Butler transfer over - we've had plenty of PUBLIC HSs with more transfers than that.

I disagree. What percentage of the population lives in the same place from K to 12? Considering that there were over 500 wrestlers that competed at states, 50 seems to be a low number of "transfers" compared to the general public. 100 might be more in line.

The PIAA has a rule in place to govern transfers post 9th grade - which is the last year of JH in some school districts. Should the school that you attend for MS dictate where you can compete for the rest of your scholastic career? How about the school district you attend elementary school?

This issue gets conflated with the public vs. non-public when actually it should be a separate issue. If a kid moves to Council Rock North or Souderton or State College or Central Mountain or Delaware Valley in the 7th or 8th grade nobody gets their panties in a wad. And it happens all the time.

I get that McCort is a serial offender which is why they are getting slapped. But they are getting screwed IMO - they are getting this exorbitant penalty in large part because of the legal things they are doing - having 7th and 8th graders move and enroll. If they just had the big Gibson and the big Butler transfer over - we've had plenty of PUBLIC HSs with more transfers than that.
In Virginia, school districts are changed often...seemingly like your voting districts :)

I agree it happens in both public and private but all private schools are guilty of this. Mcort got what they deserved and should of paid a fine or something. Hurting and holding out kids isn’t right. If this was the case the entire Beth cath, Faith academy and green ponds teams should sit.
If the PIAA starts hitting their pockets they will start following the rules.

I agree it happens in both public and private but all private schools are guilty of this. Mcort got what they deserved and should of paid a fine or something. Hurting and holding out kids isn’t right. If this was the case the entire Beth cath, Faith academy and green ponds teams should sit.
Does PIAA have statutory authority to fine schools?

I have never once heard of this happening.

We are a country in transition. Fairness used to be important in many things, although often ignored. But that ideal has fallen by the wayside. This is a country of Trillionaires. This is a rich get richer country in all things. Screw the little guy. Wrestling has begun to join the real world.

I can't fault Faith Christian, or BECAHI, or any of the others for jumping on the bandwagon. The horse is gone and the barndoor is closed.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
ADVERTISEMENT