ADVERTISEMENT

US Open

Great win, now go to "getting off the bottom camp" for 2 weeks.

Game show host:

“Show him what he’s won! A free, all expenses paid trip to Casey and Carter’s School of Beatdowns! Located in exotic State College, PA, CCSB specializes in turning Freestyle champions into people who won’t give up riding time points!”

@CSauertiegPSU Is Levi still age-wise eligible for U17?

If so, really good results for competing both up a weight + up an age group.
I don’t believe so. It’s birth year not competition date, so U17 is I believe 2005 or younger. Still not a bad result and I think he makes the finals in Akron depending on the bracket. Also just had a very minor knee scope so was off the mat a bit.

Reactions: hlstone
Problem with that theory is Riggins just plain isn't that good. Unless he fills in for injury, can suck down to the hole at 157 or Kennedy goes to 174 he won't be an option to make the lineup until he is at least a Jr. He's not beating out Kennedy or Brands who isn't a world beater either. You guys better find another team to focus on for contention because Iowa's recruiting has more holes than swiss cheese. Being a top 5 team is their highpoint goal after next year with their status quo level of recruiting. Cassioppi and Woods will be the only guys left who project to high AA based on actual results vs unfounded expectations and it will be their last year. Kennedy and Ayala are the only two recent recruits on the team I have optimism about. Two guys in the last two classes. The incoming class might get something from Franklin. Two guys and a maybe in 3 classes isn't going to get the job done.
Nice post.
When crunch time comes, rarely is Iowa much of a concern. It is pretty much understood the Hawks will be competing with a few other teams for third. As far as searching for another fanbase to rub their noses in it, you guys fill that need brilliantly. No search necessary.

I don’t believe so. It’s birth year not competition date, so U17 is I believe 2005 or younger. Still not a bad result and I think he makes the finals in Akron depending on the bracket. Also just had a very minor knee scope so was off the mat a bit.
Akron?? What am i missing?

Reactions: 82bordeaux
Good point. They met twice in 2015, Jimmy won at the dual 8-5, and Clark came back to win at NCAAs 7-5.

Can't argue that Cory had a better career though.
Wouldn’t argue it but Jimmy was a man without a weight class. If things had worked out such that he could have stayed at 133 after placing 5th there as a sophomore… who knows.

From the Outer Circle:

“I really like Riggens and his ability to get to the legs. Haines is very tough but I’m not sure it’s a gap that can’t be closed once Riggens gets into the room. Didn’t Clark get waxed by Guilibon in high school?”

Problem with theory - Riggins is bigger than a Jockey and the Hawks have struggled developing regular sized humans
That best lightweight room in the country did a pretty solid job in bringing DeSanto's talents to the surface. He was miles better than anybody not named Fix or RBY. It still amazes me though the best lightweight room had nothing to offer the kid regarding Fix or RBY.

As far as that room helping anybody close a gap on a PSU kid. Has that ever actually happened? Ever?

Ceasefire update

US open thread bwi - 44k views ~400 posts

2 US open threads tHR - 15k views ~100 posts
That’s what happens when your coach deemphasizes freestyle wrestling to the benefit of his NCAA coaching career.

Just imagine a world where a kid is a 3 time world champion before he starts college and then all but gives up wrestling freestyle for almost half a decade? That would be considered insanity huh?

As much as we've made fun of Spiker, his assertion that TnT make kids hate wrestling might have some truth to it. At the very least one has to question why so few former Hawks are continuing their career after graduation.

From what I can tell Lugo and Gilman are the only 2 right now, and Gilman openly admits coming to NLWC resurrected his career.

I guess we'll see about the recent grads, but after 5+ years in that room, they are pretty beat up. Even Gable seems to be questioning their training techniques.

Ok , is it allowed to asked anyone if I do not have Flo to post PSU Five wrestling alumni’s finals results? Thanks in advance

Wouldn’t argue it but Jimmy was a man without a weight class. If things had worked out such that he could have stayed at 133 after placing 5th there as a sophomore… who knows.
Also a man who only wrestled 5 months a year. That aint gonna cut it anymore.

I can tell you from people in the know (and I'm pretty sure most on the board know) that Jimmy Gulibon had HEW (Had Enough Wrestling) syndrome from Day 1 at PSU. He was just going through the motions for the most part. Motivation and "wanting it" is literally all the difference in talented kids. That's why you can make fun of the "Have Fun" mantra all you want but it's very true.

Doesn't entirely surprise me because from the time he was a very young youth wrestler, he was constantly talked about and obviously he was wrestling from a very young age. Some seem to deal with that lifestyle well and others, not so much. I was always a huge Gulibon fan even given that his PSU career wasn't what many expected.

Reactions: hlstone and mcpat
Problem with that theory is Riggins just plain isn't that good. Unless he fills in for injury, can suck down to the hole at 157 or Kennedy goes to 174 he won't be an option to make the lineup until he is at least a Jr. He's not beating out Kennedy or Brands who isn't a world beater either. You guys better find another team to focus on for contention because Iowa's recruiting has more holes than swiss cheese. Being a top 5 team is their highpoint goal after next year with their status quo level of recruiting. Cassioppi and Woods will be the only guys left who project to high AA based on actual results vs unfounded expectations and it will be their last year. Kennedy and Ayala are the only two recent recruits on the team I have optimism about. Two guys in the last two classes. The incoming class might get something from Franklin. Two guys and a maybe in 3 classes isn't going to get the job done.
You guys will continue to recruit blue chippers to fill the spots so I don't get the pessimism. A lot of the kids we both want are just not committing right now. Sealey for example, he's technically not even allowed to be contacted yet by coaches, he's a sophomore in high school.

Losing Henson his junior and senior year (I imagine he'll be able to mat wrestle by then lol) for 2 years of Woods does hurt a bit for long term but I won't pretend it's a bad trade, I'd make that one.

Reactions: nitlion6
I can tell you from people in the know (and I'm pretty sure most on the board know) that Jimmy Gulibon had HEW (Had Enough Wrestling) syndrome from Day 1 at PSU. He was just going through the motions for the most part. Motivation and "wanting it" is literally all the difference in talented kids. That's why you can make fun of the "Have Fun" mantra all you want but it's very true.
I remember early in his career after a close win against a not so good kid that the coaches had to take him aside and console him - he was visibly upset (crying). I thought then that he was having trouble with the fact that he wasn’t just going to kill everyone like in HS.

But he was a good kid and had some big wins - including beating Dean Heil but getting that stolen from him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT