ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Michigan State Dual Thread

And he looked damn big too. Long arms. Looked like an octopus. Should be ranked higher than 21. Haines now knows.
He’s had a disappointing year. Really liked him out of HS. Top 5 kid at his weight the last 2 years out of Cali. Daniel Cormier product out of Gilroy. Think he can go with anyone at this best, just hasn’t been consistent.

The 157 match was the mat h of the year.

Levi did get the reversal with w sec left, that match was in sane....

I did think they (the refs) went in favor of Levi one time which I did not care for, kinda tasted it. But saldate was solid, gave nothing and had Levi almost counting lights a few times.

Reactions: SJP80
He was stronger than Levi. Strength is what was the difference in last year final for Levi .
Weight cut might be part of that issue.
He wasn't necessarily stronger, but Levi didn't finish from neutral. Levi actually was the stronger from period 3 onward.

Right now we have 2 guys who are not finishing in Aaron and Levi. Otherwise we have zero problems.

Nobody wants to hear this but it's also possible that Saldate is really really good and was ranked far too low.
I liked Saldate coming out of hs and his coach was Cormier. He seemed like he had a huge ceiling and would have fit in nicely with psu’s coaching.

Reactions: Ski
I’m not too worried about Levi. Maybe it’s the weight cut, or maybe he’s just hitting a little bit of a sophomore slump. Last year he was the hunter and now he’s the hunted. Maybe some wrestlers have figured out ways to wrestle him. Now it’s time for Levi to make some adjustments. He’s not wrestling his best right now, but he still winning. Nationals are two months away. I’m keeping my money on Levi to win the title.

And I'll ask again, if Levi is having so much trouble making 157, wonder why Cael wouldn't have put Mitch there and move Levi to 165. Both Mitch and Ben said he could go either before the season started.
Don’t forget Haines would have cut weight 2 out of the last 3 days. Only one day off from the Michigan match. By the way, both matches on the road. If you’re struggling with losing weight that’s not an easy ask.

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
Change the station to the correct radio station or go to the app. :)

I typically use the app. I’ve found I can’t pause it when I stream the radio.
I go to Penn State sports web site (gopsusports.com), click on the main menu bar and select "multimedia". There is a link to Lionvision there that works every time.

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
What I get from this thread is that MSU brought it and it had us PSU fans coming back down to reality!!!!!

Again good job MSU, UM should be looking up at you now!!!!!!
Relax yourself a little. Rutgers beat Michigan State relatively comfortably on Friday and got smoked by Michigan today.

In other matches:

Arizona State beat Pitt 21-20 on criteria after Pitzer defaulted to Schultz with a shoulder injury. Schultz was up 4-2 in the 3rd at the time.

Hopefully Pitzer isn't too badly injured.
Looked like Pitzer's shoulder came out of socket. Trainer put back in and happened a second time. Yes, let's hope it isn't too badly injured.

He was stronger than Levi. Strength is what was the difference in last year final for Levi .
Weight cut might be part of that issue.
In that NCAA final, Haines was a true freshman going against a 6th year guy (O’Conner) with grown man strength.

But Haines seems plenty strong. So does Saldate.

I’m not too worried about Levi. Maybe it’s the weight cut, or maybe he’s just hitting a little bit of a sophomore slump. Last year he was the hunter and now he’s the hunted. Maybe some wrestlers have figured out ways to wrestle him. Now it’s time for Levi to make some adjustments. He’s not wrestling his best right now, but he still winning. Nationals are two months away. I’m keeping my money on Levi to win the title.

Did anyone notice after Levi’s win with the reversal, everyone was going crazy, but Cael never got up off his chair? Think it’s safe to say he’s a lot less worried about Levi than we are 😆
It is noteworthy that Levi showed no panic and remained confident throughout the Saldate match. At one point in OT he clearly wanted to go neutral when he had choice, conveying self-assurance that he could get the takedown and negate the gifted escape point. The coaches told him to take down and he complied.

Impressive and bodes well for the rest of his season.

I go to Penn State sports web site (gopsusports.com), click on the main menu bar and select "multimedia". There is a link to Lionvision there that works every time.
Consider yourself lucky. Everybody knows about that. Few have consistent success with it.

Most of us have an occasional match where that works, but more likely random drops, and occasionally Lionvision playing music so we have to go find Byers elsewhere.

On Friday, Lowe's ads in Spanish played each time Lionvision started up. I got a solid refresher course with all of the drops -- who needs Coursera or Babbel or Duolingo anyway?

Reactions: PSUer1989
sanford and son GIF

Thanks for the updates fellas, on Vacation in North Carolina and couldn’t listen or watch today.
Note to self: North Carolina doesn't have the internet. 😀

To me, Levi doesn't look hurt, he looks like he is cutting too much weight and he doesn't have the strength or stamina that he had last year. Kinda like Caleb Young for Iowa , he cut so much weight he got worse every year he was on the team.
Levi looking like a one trick pony on offense, high crotch and ?. He needs more attacks or guys will sit onnhis signature move.

Levi wrestled last year with a torn meniscus and did just fine. If there is something wrong him he and the staff will figure it out. It's only January.

That would have been entertaining if not so stressful. Not sure who had less control of the happenings in the Levi match - the refs or the announcers. Glad I listened to Beyers.
Yeah. I eventually switched over to Byers. I just couldn’t take it anymore

Seriously? We need to find/create reasons why our resourceful, undefeated 157 isn’t providing us larger margins of victory? Must be weight cutting. Or that injury he’s hiding. Or the pressure of a #1 ranking. Or life in the shadow of lightning in a bottle. Can it ever just be another young man equally committed to the same tough sport, perhaps a bit stronger if not as skilled, with added motivation of battling the top guy in front of his home crowd, wrestling one helluva match?

Thing that impresses me about Levi is his “will to win.” Whether he’s dinged up, weight issues or this is who he is..bottom line the kids a winner. He refuses to lose. It’s tough to beat guys that have that inner strength. I thought Saldate had him dead to rights a couple times, and Levi just willed thru it and refused to lose.

Many of our guys have this quality and it’s pretty damned impressive.

In that NCAA final, Haines was a true freshman going against a 6th year guy (O’Conner) with grown man strength.

But Haines seems plenty strong. So does Saldate.
No doubt Levi is strong. I was just commenting that those 2 opponents were stronger than him.
There is nothing wrong with that. Body frame, genes and weight cut can dictate that.
I thought the longer the match went the advantage became Levi's. Most muscle bound wrestlers have trouble with the gas tank. The numerous stoppages helped Saldate. If you watch ,the first little stoppage was when Seldate wanted blood time. Cunningham is in background irritated that match was stopped.
I think next time they meet Levi and staff will look for more leg attacks and avoid upper body.

Seriously? We need to find/create reasons why our resourceful, undefeated 157 isn’t providing us larger margins of victory? Must be weight cutting. Or that injury he’s hiding. Or the pressure of a #1 ranking. Or life in the shadow of lightning in a bottle. Can it ever just be another young man equally committed to the same tough sport, perhaps a bit stronger if not as skilled, with added motivation of battling the top guy in front of his home crowd, wrestling one helluva match?

While I think it's possible that there IS something wrong with Levi, I tend to agree with you. I feel the same way about Beau Bartlett, who gets beat up constantly for his close wins. Damn, they're wrestling ranked guys who also want to win and each has found a way to win every single match. I'm OK with it. If we learn after the season is over that Levi was going through something, then we should discuss, but for now he's fine and doing as expected.

It’s just perspective & expectations. He was winning matches like this last year, and they were considered landmark wins for a true freshman. This year they’re considered disappointing for a #1 ranked sophomore. The only thing that changed is our expectations. His bonus rate is higher than last year. I’m not worried about Levi. He might even, get this, lose a match, and I still won’t be worried.

It doesn’t help that Mesenbrink has come in and looked like a generational world beater right above him then Starocci is the odds on favorite for the Hodge with a 100% bonus rate after that.

Agree + a lot of what we see has to do with our expectations. Last year he was coming into the line up and exceeding expectations every step of the way. That trajectory was never going to be sustainable. This year, …. he is ranked #1 and we “fans” more or less expect him to trample everyone in his path. I’m sure Levi and his coaches have a plan and that it involves peaking in March. For now we should perhaps not view him as Zain like and enjoy a stud working his way through his true Soph season.

All interesting observations, and I think ultimately, most of us think come Match Levi will be in peak form and win it all. For the most part the critiques have been quite respectful. Some undeniables though:

1). Our expectations are rediculous, trained by many years of Cael generated Rediculousness. We have come to expect rather than view with wonder Zain, Nolf, Bo like 2nd year jumps.

2). One can't help compare Levi vs Taz going out back to back every match. We are all learning Mitch is a different kind of beast.

3). Last year one of Levi's signature moves was simply pulling in the legs to his chest and powering through a double after he was supposedly caught underneath. He showed uncommon strength and power routinely in that situation. Admittedly I haven't seen that this year. Why? That is a question that seems valid.

4). Some of his close matches have been against good but not great guys. I think this is a valid observation, but as noted if you are top 25 you're a pretty damned good wrestler.

5). Maybe just maybe, training with the Tasmanian devil every day is more humbling than helpful at times, and his confidence has taken a hit. If it ain't working in the room it's harder to pull the trigger live.

All in all, I subscribe to the 'something indeed does appear to just a little'off' with Levi so far. If the rumors of confirmation from his dad are true then he's dealing with something tangible. I don't see evidence of an outright injury. I am not really worried, and even if he were to lose in a dual or at Bigs, you have to see him as the favorite come March. If there is something legit going on, and that stays with him throughout, he has the heart and drive to power through it and prevail anyway.

Reactions: Ski

Wrestling is a sport of match-up. Some guys just wrestle a style that is a good match-up for another wrestler. It's why the transitive property doesn't work that well in wrestling.

Reactions: HikeNatParks
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT