ADVERTISEMENT

TV Alert PSU at Illinois on BTN tonight at 7. Another winnable game if they

This is the most athletic team I can remember at PSU but it's certainly not the best team IMO. Watkins > Cline Heard, Carr > Crispin, Stevens > Ivory, etc. but the 2001 TEAM was better. Better fundamentals, tougher on defense, etc.

This won't be a top 25 team if Watkins comes out early. It would be sad if that happens. First I don't think he's ready. Second because I don't think 2 and out is what college athletics should be about.

Next year's team needs a perimeter shooter to replace Garner.

I think the biggest area for improvment is on defense. This team is incredibly athletic. They get a lot of steals by overplaying defenders, jumping passing lanes, and poking the ball away. They also get caught out of position, don't do a good job staying on top of picks, leave their feet too quickly, allow penetration too easily, and don't block out very well. This team can be top 25 if they improve on defense, the sophomores return (incl Watkins), and one of the freshmen can shoot.
As part of my post, I laid out the stipulation of "keeping this team together" That means Watkins staying, no?

When I was talking about Mike coming out... I mean of the game, when he is on the bench.

If he leaves, of course we aren't top 25. That's not rocket science.

Last edited:
Additionally, I never said it was the best. However, it us very good, not comparing. If comparing, how about the96 team?

This is the most athletic team I can remember at PSU but it's certainly not the best team IMO. Watkins > Cline Heard, Carr > Crispin, Stevens > Ivory, etc. but the 2001 TEAM was better. Better fundamentals, tougher on defense, etc.

This year's team is significantly better defensively than that 2001 team. I'd probably give that team a slight overall nod at this point, but the gap isn't large.

I think the defensive numbers are misleading due to the non-conference schedule and the Big Ten being down. I'd say the 2001 team is better all around but it's close that we could make a valid argument for either.

I think the defensive numbers are misleading due to the non-conference schedule and the Big Ten being down. I'd say the 2001 team is better all around but it's close that we could make a valid argument for either.
Keep in mind that Pomeroy's overall defensive rating is adjusted to the level of our competition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT