ADVERTISEMENT

Does BTN ever have a wrestling feature about PSU?

bcspsu

Jun 2, 2001
Tonight, BTN is showing another wrestling feature about two former Iowa wrestlers who both are from PA (Spencer Lee is one). In the past, there’s been a feature on the Brand brothers, and at least one other one that I’ve seen about an Iowa wrestler.

I ask this because PSU has so throughly surpassed Iowa under Sanderson, but seems not to get any publicity on BTN like Iowa’s program does, which isn’t as dominant as it used to be.

They recently did one about Anthony Cassar.

That said, PSU and Cael run away from media more often than not. Right or wrong, they refuse to engage w FloWrestling, do the bare minimum of interviews at Nationals, etc.

I was at practice a few years ago the week before nationals. Cael literally told the team “don’t talk to Flo, you can do ESPN interviews if you want to but the only one you have to do is if they grab you after winning semis or finals.”

Just not their thing.

Reactions: royboy
They recently did one about Anthony Cassar.

That said, PSU and Cael run away from media more often than not. Right or wrong, they refuse to engage w FloWrestling, do the bare minimum of interviews at Nationals, etc.

I was at practice a few years ago the week before nationals. Cael literally told the team “don’t talk to Flo, you can do ESPN interviews if you want to but the only one you have to do is if they grab you after winning semis or finals.”

Just not their thing.
You’re right about the one on Cassar, which was on a couple of weeks ago. I caught it after it started and didn’t watch all of it because I believe that it was on very late and I had to go to bed. Was that a full hour feature or a vignette during one of their weekly wrestling shows?

Tonight, BTN is showing another wrestling feature about two former Iowa wrestlers who both are from PA (Spencer Lee is one). In the past, there’s been a feature on the Brand brothers, and at least one other one that I’ve seen about an Iowa wrestler.

I ask this because PSU has so throughly surpassed Iowa under Sanderson, but seems not to get any publicity on BTN like Iowa’s program does, which isn’t as dominant as it used to be.
Penn State should have kept Lion Vision. It was ahead of its time. BTN is next to worthless. But what do yo expect from this conference? Maybe with these new schools coming in and the NCAA going away it will start to change but from my view things aren’t all that different than they were in 1993.

For the good of the order, if you are unaware of this YT channel check this out. This individual pulls a ton of PSU bouts (as well as other marquee matches) and dubs Ironhead over the action and these vids are treasure. Jeff Byers is a stud announcer and a real asset to the whole program as we well know. BTN also did a short segment on Byers a few years back.

PSU Wrestling

200w.gif

B1G
200w.gif

PSU wrestling

55cf7ff2bc7b564cb25e2f95fae5c80c65a27521.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: WaylonJ
You’re right about the one on Cassar, which was on a couple of weeks ago. I caught it after it started and didn’t watch all of it because I believe that it was on very late and I had to go to bed. Was that a full hour feature or a vignette during one of their weekly wrestling shows?
It was in between, a full half hour. Pretty good. Watch it if they ever run it again. Edit: It was actually on again today at 4:00 PM.

Last edited:
Yeah, and BTN still will treat Iowa like the preeminent wrestling program.
Well Penn State fans thinks Penn State is a preeminent football program and should be treated as such and it hasn’t won squat in 30+ years.

Well Penn State fans thinks Penn State is a preeminent football program and should be treated as such and it hasn’t won squat in 30+ years.
It’s won several Big 10 Championships and BCS bowls in the last 30 years, which is better than all but 5 or 6 schools. Since PSU really emerged from what happened in 2011, which was in 2016, IMO only Bama, UGA, Clemson, OSU, LSU, Michigan recently, and maybe Oklahoma have been better.

Last edited:
It’s won several Big 10 Championships and BCS bowls in the last 30 years, which is better than all but 5 or 6 schools. Since PSU really emerged from what happened in 2011, which was in 2016, IMO only Bama, UGA, Clemson, OSU, LSU, Michigan recently, and maybe Oklahoma have been better.
But we have heard non stop on this board that not making the playoffs is a failure of a season. Well Penn State in the last 30 seasons would have made the four team play off twice while having 5 losing seasons in that same period. Yet people here talk like Penn State is some elite program that should be making the playoffs every year. Heck Penn State not even top 10 winning percentage (15th) over that period.

But we have heard non stop on this board that not making the playoffs is a failure of a season. Well Penn State in the last 30 seasons would have made the four team play off twice while having 5 losing seasons in that same period. Yet people here talk like Penn State is some elite program that should be making the playoffs every year. Heck Penn State not even top 10 winning percentage (15th) over that period.
I'm more concerned about recent performances rather than the past 30 years. I bet Georgia's winning percentage in the past 30 years isn't that much higher than PSU's, and yet they're now one of the two or three best programs at the moment.

Also, if there had been a 12 team playoff as of 2016, like there is at every other level of college football, PSU would've made it in 2016, 2017, 2019, 2022 and 2023. Also, where does PSU rank in winning % since 2016? My guess is that it's well in the top ten. Also, while I know that bowls don't carry the same significant as they used to, PSU still has played in five BCS bowls since the 2016 season.

Right now, I don't consider PSU to be elite like Bama, UGA, OSU, and maybe a few other programs are. But it's definitely in that next tier. Things ebb and flow very quickly in college football. As recently as three years ago, Clemson was elite, but now they're not. Until Smart became head coach at UGA, they weren't elite. Florida under Spurrier and Mayer were elite and now they're not.

Because of the demographic changes in this country and the fact that PSU is in the middle of a state and region that have lost a lot of people to the Southeast, it never may be elite. However, it's still a program that has consitently produced 10 and 11 win seasons for the past eight years while playing in one of the toughest, if not most tough, divisions in college football.

Not being elite doesn't equal not doing squat.

Not being elite doesn't equal not doing squat.
That's the point that I tried to make, but in probably too many words. I also tried to make the point that PSU probably has accomplished as mcuh as or more than any other non-elite program since 2016.

Last edited:
Reactions: BOSCO2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT