ADVERTISEMENT

TV Alert PSU at Illinois on BTN tonight at 7. Another winnable game if they

Hard to feel sorry for Illinois on many levels w/r/t PSU. When they were good it was a total troll job by them, always. Hard to win on the road no matter what.
. I dont feel bad for Illinois, just their coach. First year and has to play with what was left. His freshmen are 2 of his best players, they will be a player in teh conference in 2 years, not 7.

Once the product is on the court, who cares about rankings?? Wheeler has proven he was undervalued. Harrah was an army football commit till late, so he was not even really evaluated as a hoops recruit.
This kind of sounds like a Pitt fan explaining away their terrible recruiting classes.

This kind of sounds like a Pitt fan explaining away their terrible recruiting classes.
Not really. Pitt fans think their recruiting classes are great. Douchie got "his" guys, they're all overlooked 2 stars waiting to be coached up into the NFL, their 3 stars are "almost" 4 stars... but stars don't matter anyway.

Returning to basketball...

The 2017 class was supposed to have ZERO recruits in it. Only when late attrition set in did spots open up. Getting even one guy who can be an immediate key contributor as a last minute recruit was a win.

PSU has several talented young players and IMO they are just 1 or 2 players away from being a top team in the BiG. I'd think that a lot of highly rated kids would want to jump into that mix. I assume Samuel and Washington left because they were getting limited playing time. That shouldn't have been an off season late surprise.

Does anybody know what happened to Hampton? It would have been nice to have a big body to help Watkins in the paint.

. I dont feel bad for Illinois, just their coach. First year and has to play with what was left. His freshmen are 2 of his best players, they will be a player in teh conference in 2 years, not 7.

I sure do not feel bad for the Illinois coaches. Did you watch and listen to how he "coached" his kids during one of the time outs as the game was going PSU's way? I would no want that man "coaching" any of my sons.

PSU has several talented young players and IMO they are just 1 or 2 players away from being a top team in the BiG. I'd think that a lot of highly rated kids would want to jump into that mix. I assume Samuel and Washington left because they were getting limited playing time. That shouldn't have been an off season late surprise.

Does anybody know what happened to Hampton? It would have been nice to have a big body to help Watkins in the paint.

He had conditioning issues. Hampton wasn't a banger (he was a "large" small forward) so he wasn't going to provide any help to Watkins. He's playing at a JC in California and is committed to Long Beach State for next year.

He had conditioning issues. Hampton wasn't a banger (he was a "large" small forward) so he wasn't going to provide any help to Watkins. He's playing at a JC in California and is committed to Long Beach State for next year.
Any idea what's up right now? He hasn't played since December, and Google shows nothing about his status. Wondering if it's injury, or he left school again.

I sure do not feel bad for the Illinois coaches. Did you watch and listen to how he "coached" his kids during one of the time outs as the game was going PSU's way? I would no want that man "coaching" any of my sons.

What about PC, he's done at least as bad in huddles. Seeing some practices of various D1 teams thats not all that uncommon.

Reactions: WDLion
If we win three out of the last four games we should have a great case to make the NCAA tournament. While none of these games are going to be easy, we've beaten tOSU and Nebraska already this year and have played well against some of the better teams that have beaten up. Maybe we stun Purdue and lost to Michigan at home...

I would guess that we are on the bubble of being on the bubble, and that is pretty exciting for a change.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
Can we give Chambers some credit for sticking with our school's reputation of "Success With Honor"?

he risked not making the NCAA tourney by essentially benching Reaves for 4 games over academic issue. (correct me if I am wrong about this, please)

PSU went 1-3 in that stretch, probably should have been 3-1

PSU is 5-1 since Reaves returned to the lineup

this is a great team and the program seems headed in the right direction. not gonna fault a coach for benching a star player over grades.

With how Reaves was rushed to the OSU I doubt it was Pat's call on benching him. I think that the team eligibility monitor said "hey, he's going to be ineligible if he doesn't get his course work completed by 'x' day, we need to sit him out once classes start or else we will potentially forfeit any games he plays in.

You dont have the asst AD of whatever get in a car a drive like a maniac to get him to OSU for a game at the last minute otherwise. If it truly was Pat's call he wold have been benched for that game too or else would have flew with the team. It was probably more likely that once the grade was put in the asst ad called PC and he told them to get Reaves there ASAP.

With how Reaves was rushed to the OSU I doubt it was Pat's call on benching him. I think that the team eligibility monitor said "hey, he's going to be ineligible if he doesn't get his course work completed by 'x' day, we need to sit him out once classes start or else we will potentially forfeit any games he plays in.

You dont have the asst AD of whatever get in a car a drive like a maniac to get him to OSU for a game at the last minute otherwise. If it truly was Pat's call he wold have been benched for that game too or else would have flew with the team. It was probably more likely that once the grade was put in the asst ad called PC and he told them to get Reaves there ASAP.

however it happened, the school was on top of it. and Chambers never questioned it

Can we give Chambers some credit for sticking with our school's reputation of "Success With Honor"?

he risked not making the NCAA tourney by essentially benching Reaves for 4 games over academic issue. (correct me if I am wrong about this, please)

this is a great team and the program seems headed in the right direction. not gonna fault a coach for benching a star player over grades.
Among the alums I know, the weight of opinion has shifted dramatically in Pat's favor the past month. One example. Yesterday I saw a friend (86 grad) in the local pizza shop. Not long ago he wanted Chambers fired. Last night he told me that he expects us to get an NIT bid and if that happens, he's good with Pat staying on as coach.

Basketball is all about matchups. in that regard, having an A+ player makes a huge difference. There is a reason why the NBA championships have been dominated by guys like Bird, Magic, Thomas, MJ, LeBron, Dunkin and Robinson. In college, it is the one and done schools like K and (now) Duke.

PSU finally has some talent. I haven't paid attention to PSU BB but watched both the MD and IL games. PSU clearly has more talent on the floor. And, they finally appear to be understanding how to get those favorable matchups. They are running a nice high post, some really great ally oop slams (which keep the energy up), know when to fast break and when to run the half court. They aren't a big team but can compensate with energy (which comes with confidence and winning).

It is so hard to build a program. You've got to get kids to want to come to PSU. No matter how good your coach is, you can't get kids to come here when you are losing. PSU finally has some good kids coming in and it looks like this year and next year will be positive. Next year, we lose Garner. He's a key piece but can be replaced.

you have to extend this coach....no other choice.

Basketball is all about matchups. in that regard, having an A+ player makes a huge difference. There is a reason why the NBA championships have been dominated by guys like Bird, Magic, Thomas, MJ, LeBron, Dunkin and Robinson. In college, it is the one and done schools like K and (now) Duke.

PSU finally has some talent. I haven't paid attention to PSU BB but watched both the MD and IL games. PSU clearly has more talent on the floor. And, they finally appear to be understanding how to get those favorable matchups. They are running a nice high post, some really great ally oop slams (which keep the energy up), know when to fast break and when to run the half court. They aren't a big team but can compensate with energy (which comes with confidence and winning).

It is so hard to build a program. You've got to get kids to want to come to PSU. No matter how good your coach is, you can't get kids to come here when you are losing. PSU finally has some good kids coming in and it looks like this year and next year will be positive. Next year, we lose Garner. He's a key piece but can be replaced.

you have to extend this coach....no other choice.

I'll add that in the highlights I have watched this year, this team has MASSIVELY improved in rotating the ball to find the open shot, whether it is around the 3 pt line or inside/out. That skill can insert any gifted player and succeed

Reactions: Obliviax
Among the alums I know, the weight of opinion has shifted dramatically in Pat's favor the past month. One example. Yesterday I saw a friend (86 grad) in the local pizza shop. Not long ago he wanted Chambers fired. Last night he told me that he expects us to get an NIT bid and if that happens, he's good with Pat staying on as coach.

I'm in agreement. The last 6 games have met the expectation with this group of talented kids. The frustration was that in the previous 21 games, the team was not showing progress. They were losing games they shouldn't in the same manner as previous years. They dug a hole and are trying to get out of it. They've set themselves up to play a very meaningful final four games of the season. They deserve a ton of credit for turning it around starting with the Ohio State upset. Would love to see the place full on Thursday night to give our guys a real home court advantage for once. I've been there when it's full and rocking and it's pretty fun. Will be there Thursday for the biggest game in years.

I remember that he tore his ACL in high school. I thought it was something he could overcome with a year or two in the program.

Never heard of "dratings". I am familiar with Joe Lunardi though, and he has PSU nowhere near the bubble. Nor does the RPI. KenPom looks great though. Unfortunately I don't know if KenPom carries any weight? Palm says 12-6, nothing else. Palm is the foremost respected guy. Uncle Lar, you can weigh in on this stuff since this is your ball park.

I'm not "anti Chambers", I am anti losing. I only want a coach that can take PSU to the dance, that's all I ask. Chambers isn't near it, unless he can win at Mackey, beat Ohio State twice, beat Michigan, then win at Lincoln.

Thanks Miles.

Did Pat have a choice?

however it happened, the school was on top of it. and Chambers never questioned it

Who says he didn't question it? Who says he agreed with it?

If someone isn't academically eligible they aren't eligible. Play them and there's consequences...at least in theory.

Who says he didn't question it? Who says he agreed with it?

If someone isn't academically eligible they aren't eligible. Play them and there's consequences...at least in theory.

who says he did? who says he didn't? absent any evidence to the contrary, he went along with the benching. this is how we do things

crikey it is bad enough with the dipsh*t trolls and heavy handed mods on this board. do we really need to fight about Chambers like this?

who says he did? who says he didn't? absent any evidence to the contrary, he went along with the benching. this is how we do things

crikey it is bad enough with the dipsh*t trolls and heavy handed mods on this board. do we really need to fight about Chambers like this?

You made a comment that didn't need to be made and couldn't be supported. You asked if we could give him credit for "Success with Honors" and we answered. Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to

Did Pat have a choice?

Clearly he didn't have a choice, since approval for Josh to play came from outside the program. Every indication is that Josh had a deferred grade that needed to be taken care of.

Clearly he didn't have a choice, since approval for Josh to play came from outside the program. Every indication is that Josh had a deferred grade that needed to be taken care of.

so are we saying every time Joe benched a guy for grades, he didn't have a choice?

so are we saying every time Joe benched a guy for grades, he didn't have a choice?

Every time? no
Do you remember a situation in which a player drove up last minute to go to a game after the academic situation was resolved? Chambers honored the decision but to throw out "success with honor" and how we should be grateful he's continuing that....well, you dug your own grave.

This is a very good product that we are watching on the court recently. Sooo much athleticism... alley oops every game by mutliple players, +- 10 ducks a game, very effective defense. Energy. This is a good basketball team, not just a good Penn State basketball team. Keep this progression and team together, add Rasir and Dread, and this has the potential of being a top 25 team next year.

The biggest question mark next season is what do we do when Mike comes out? Will Harrah be the answer, or do we possibly shift Lamar to the 5, and stick Naz/Dread/Rasir at the 2/3?

I was finally getting on board with finding a new coach, leading up to the OSU game. Funny thing is, I was also on board with getting a new football coach leading up to the OSU game 2 seasons ago. Let's hope that comparison grows some more legs.

Honor, schmonor. WIN. :eek:

;)

Reactions: TenerHallTerror

No, we're responding to your specific question regarding Reeves.

"he risked not making the NCAA tourney by essentially benching Reaves for 4 games over academic issue. (correct me if I am wrong about this, please)"

You were wrong, and we were correcting you just like you asked. Chambers had no choice.

Reactions: vslice02
This is a very good product that we are watching on the court recently. Sooo much athleticism... alley oops every game by mutliple players, +- 10 ducks a game, very effective defense. Energy. This is a good basketball team, not just a good Penn State basketball team. Keep this progression and team together, add Rasir and Dread, and this has the potential of being a top 25 team next year.

The biggest question mark next season is what do we do when Mike comes out? Will Harrah be the answer, or do we possibly shift Lamar to the 5, and stick Naz/Dread/Rasir at the 2/3?

I was finally getting on board with finding a new coach, leading up to the OSU game. Funny thing is, I was also on board with getting a new football coach leading up to the OSU game 2 seasons ago. Let's hope that comparison grows some more legs.

This is the most athletic team I can remember at PSU but it's certainly not the best team IMO. Watkins > Cline Heard, Carr > Crispin, Stevens > Ivory, etc. but the 2001 TEAM was better. Better fundamentals, tougher on defense, etc.

This won't be a top 25 team if Watkins comes out early. It would be sad if that happens. First I don't think he's ready. Second because I don't think 2 and out is what college athletics should be about.

Next year's team needs a perimeter shooter to replace Garner.

I think the biggest area for improvment is on defense. This team is incredibly athletic. They get a lot of steals by overplaying defenders, jumping passing lanes, and poking the ball away. They also get caught out of position, don't do a good job staying on top of picks, leave their feet too quickly, allow penetration too easily, and don't block out very well. This team can be top 25 if they improve on defense, the sophomores return (incl Watkins), and one of the freshmen can shoot.

This is the most athletic team I can remember at PSU but it's certainly not the best team IMO. Watkins > Cline Heard, Carr > Crispin, Stevens > Ivory, etc. but the 2001 TEAM was better. Better fundamentals, tougher on defense, etc.

This won't be a top 25 team if Watkins comes out early. It would be sad if that happens. First I don't think he's ready. Second because I don't think 2 and out is what college athletics should be about.

Next year's team needs a perimeter shooter to replace Garner.

I think the biggest area for improvment is on defense. This team is incredibly athletic. They get a lot of steals by overplaying defenders, jumping passing lanes, and poking the ball away. They also get caught out of position, don't do a good job staying on top of picks, leave their feet too quickly, allow penetration too easily, and don't block out very well. This team can be top 25 if they improve on defense, the sophomores return (incl Watkins), and one of the freshmen can shoot.
Watkins is a redshirt sophomore, so he's been here for three years. He's also pretty old for his class, and will be 23 by the time next season rolls around - a whole lot of 23 year olds are ready to be done with school and getting a paycheck.

I'm not sure where your complaint is about the defense, though - Penn State is a top 25 defensive team this year, easily Pat's best defensive group since he's been here, and is pretty comfortably the best defensive basketball team Penn State has had since Ken Pomeroy started tracking stats in 2002.

Watkins is a redshirt sophomore, so he's been here for three years. He's also pretty old for his class, and will be 23 by the time next season rolls around - a whole lot of 23 year olds are ready to be done with school and getting a paycheck.

I'm not sure where your complaint is about the defense, though - Penn State is a top 25 defensive team this year, easily Pat's best defensive group since he's been here, and is pretty comfortably the best defensive basketball team Penn State has had since Ken Pomeroy started tracking stats in 2002.

Watkins can certainly make $75k playing basketball in Europe but I'm not so sure he'd make it in the NBA at this point. Leaves his feet and commits a lot of unnecessary fouls. Also doesn't have a mid range shot which means his game is underneath the basket. That's great in college but the players are bigger in the NBA. I think he would benefit from another year (academically too). Just my opinion.

I've watched every game this year. PSU isn't good at consistently running back on defense, getting in good position with their feet, and blocking out (did you see how many offensive rebounds Illinois got last night?). There's a lot of little things that go into winning. There's a reason why this team is probably headed to the NIT. Some really good talent but also some things to work on. Again, just my opinion.

Reactions: psugisher
Watkins can certainly make $75k playing basketball in Europe but I'm not so sure he'd make it in the NBA at this point. Leaves his feet and commits a lot of unnecessary fouls. Also doesn't have a mid range shot which means his game is underneath the basket. That's great in college but the players are bigger in the NBA. I think he would benefit from another year (academically too). Just my opinion.

I've watched every game this year. PSU isn't good at consistently running back on defense, getting in good position with their feet, and blocking out (did you see how many offensive rebounds Illinois got last night?). There's a lot of little things that go into winning. There's a reason why this team is probably headed to the NIT. Some really good talent but also some things to work on. Again, just my opinion.
You’re exactly right, defensive rebounding seems to be their weakness. That’s why many times they have a 10 or 15 point lead and five minutes later they’re up by two. They get stops but then give up second chance points. They’re good at sprinting to the ball on the shot, but not boxing out and “earning” the defensive rebound. They’re athletic as hell, but not disciplined enough yet but they seem to be getting better.

No, we're responding to your specific question regarding Reeves.

"he risked not making the NCAA tourney by essentially benching Reaves for 4 games over academic issue. (correct me if I am wrong about this, please)"

You were wrong, and we were correcting you just like you asked. Chambers had no choice.

again, Chambers is the head coach. if we're going down this rabbit hole, then we cannot hold Joe in high regard for benching players who violated NCAA rules, or had bad grades. it is the school, it is the program.

Joe had no choice. really diminishes his legacy.

again, Chambers is the head coach. if we're going down this rabbit hole, then we cannot hold Joe in high regard for benching players who violated NCAA rules, or had bad grades. it is the school, it is the program.

LOL at thinking Chambers has the kind of authority Joe had. There were times Joe didn't have a choice--why is that difficult for you to comprehend. Sometimes Joe had choices to make--we know some of them and I'm sure there's many we don't know about. In this case, there's no way it was a decision by Chambers.

Baloney. You are coming up with all sorts of bizarre illogical arguments rather than simply admitting what is painfully obvious. You were wrong. Admit it and move on.

Reactions: vslice02
Baloney. You are coming up with all sorts of bizarre illogical arguments rather than simply admitting what is painfully obvious. You were wrong. Admit it and move on.

you ruined Success With Honor. admit it and move on

and clearly I meant if it was over academic issues. your inability to understand English should not reflect poorly on me

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT