ADVERTISEMENT

Rewatched the Illinois game and I’m not excited about this weekend

I love these threads (no, not really)

So someone posts that the defense has issues, therefore that person is a troll.

Got it.

Fact- in 3 of our 4 games this year we went a full quarter with head scratchingly bad defense. Granted Pitt's 1st quarter didn't yield them many points, but a 28 point quarter against App St and a 17 point run by Illinois from start of 2nd fo start of 3rd quarter......

I'm concerned. Not saying we lose, but I think even people wearing blue and white glasses would have to admit that an entire quarter lapse against Ohio State is probably going to mean a loss. As others have pointed out, for the remainder of those three games, the defense adjusted and played well. We cannot have a bad quarter against OSU.

I guess I'm a troll.

observations:

- The LBers played horrendous and it wasn’t just one issue. We struggled to get off blocks, missed tackles, played slow, had the wrong play called and were often out of position. Parsons, Brown, Farmer and Ellis all really struggled at times.
- Their QB was playing pitch and catch due to soft coverage
- John Reid is really struggling (worse than I realized)
- The D line was pushed around and often let the Illinois offensive line get to the second level.
- Illinois had a lot of miscues in the second half that ended drives rather than our stout defense.
- Illinois was not executing a complicated offensive scheme.
- We have only 3 returning starters on defense and they’re certainly playing like that.

These aren’t issues that will get fully corrected by Saturday, but I’m hopeful that they’ll play their hearts out and we’ll score enough points to make it a game...however, I’m not going to get bent out of shape over a loss. The whiteout will be a lot of fun.

OSU by 14
Yea, Defense is not where it needs to be for sure.

I thought I would throw this bit of trivia in here.... over the last two weeks we have scored 60 points in back to back games. That is only the 4th time a BIG team has done that in the last 100 years. This is one of the best offenses in PSU history. If we are even average on D we should have a chance to win any game.

That is absolutely 100% true.
We also haven't played anyone with a defense thats as good as OSU, MSU, MIchy, Iowa or Wiscy.
Bottom line is if we want to compete for the B1G championship and a playoff spot our defense has to get a lot better.
We can't depend on the Offense to score 50+ points every game.
I think the defense will get much better as the season goes on.

The LBers played horrendous and it wasn’t just one issue. We struggled to get off blocks, missed tackles, played slow, had the wrong play called and were often out of position. Parsons, Brown, Farmer and Ellis all really struggled at times.

The Ohio State starting linebackers didn't record a single tackle or assist against Tulane. Their group is playing worse than ours.

OSU, every year, is the better team on paper than every team they play just about every week. This week is no different. It's worth noting that in the last 10 years, they've been undefeated once. They do lose. Is it likely this week? Probably not, but it's never likely during the week before when they lose a game, and yet, they do lose.

They are likely to lose one game this year, and based on their schedule, it's probably going to be either against us, or against Michigan. They aren't good enough to go undefeated, even as good as they are.

QED: anything can happen.

Reactions: 81b&w and BBrown
I thought I would throw this bit of trivia in here.... over the last two weeks we have scored 60 points in back to back games. That is only the 4th time a BIG team has done that in the last 100 years. This is one of the best offenses in PSU history. If we are even average on D we should have a chance to win any game.
The thing is this young defense will get better in time. One other thing to note is PSU is not facing a ton of 2nd and 12-15's due to TFL's prior to the play getting blown up early. Knock on wood there, but if this offense can keep that up all year, it will be able to maintain more drives against the better defenses they will face. You are so dead on about this O keeping PSU in the game and hopefully an emotional defense will play some of their best inspired football this Saturday night.

One thing you can never account for is the emotional play of younger kids at home. Look at ODU last weekend...and PSU is pretty much on even footing with tOSU when it comes to talent. If not right there, they are damn near close and that gap has really closed the last 2-3 years.

I am so glad my flight from Atlanta to Philly was delayed an hour and a half this morning. I had the opportunity to read this thread. I guess I might as well turn around and head home :rolleyes:

I am so glad I won't have to see the game day thread. I hope some of you fair weather fans dont hurt yourselves jumping on and off the bandwagon ;)

That's why they play the game on the field and not on the message board.

But to be fair, PSU shut them down in the second half, just as they did Pitt. Perhaps, being so young, they can't make good adjustments on the fly so end up making those adjustments at halftime.

I am highly suspect of our defensive interior. At the same time, tOSU sucked against TCU until they handed tOSU two TD's and collapsed. And, our offense is as good as theirs if not better. Finally, its at home in a white out. Did I mention their best player is out?

I don't know what to expect, honestly. I have no idea which teams will show up. Should be a fun game.
b10caac9420ad1f530bf707ad573eb20.gif

Reactions: 81b&w and BBrown
While it's clear that OSU is the better team, they were also the better team two years ago. They were the better team last year, and we should have won then.

I have no expectation that we win this game, but as we've shown in the past, we will come to play.

That’s all we can ask of this team, they will come to play.

Reactions: mn78psu83
We also haven't played anyone with a defense thats as good as OSU, MSU, MIchy, Iowa or Wiscy.
Bottom line is if we want to compete for the B1G championship and a playoff spot our defense has to get a lot better.
Younger LB's didn't have to "shed" blocks in high school. They were bigger and faster than everyone. There is a learning curve there. They didn't worry about proper angles because again...they were faster than everyone on the field for the most part. These growing pains are normal and those of us who watched LA grow up under Joe now kind of understand why Joe was taking it slow with him initially. The speed of the game is overwhelming to the young guys initially and bad habits can get formed. I think that is why CJF and Pry are trying to get them time, but balancing it out as best they can.

Reactions: Option Bob
The thing is this young defense will get better in time. One other thing to note is PSU is not facing a ton of 2nd and 12-15's due to TFL's prior to the play getting blown up early. Knock on wood there, but if this offense can keep that up all year, it will be able to maintain more drives against the better defenses they will face. You are so dead on about this O keeping PSU in the game and hopefully an emotional defense will play some of their best inspired football this Saturday night.

One thing you can never account for is the emotional play of younger kids at home. Look at ODU last weekend...and PSU is pretty much on even footing with tOSU when it comes to talent. If not right there, they are damn near close and that gap has really closed the last 2-3 years.[/QUOTE]

+100. Yep we are 1 monster DT and 1 more LB'r away. After this recruiting cycle that gap is gone.

Reactions: Option Bob
Younger LB's didn't have to "shed" blocks in high school. They were bigger and faster than everyone. There is a learning curve there. They didn't worry about proper angles because again...they were faster than everyone on the field for the most part. These growing pains are normal and those of us who watched LA grow up under Joe now kind of understand why Joe was taking it slow with him initially. The speed of the game is overwhelming to the young guys initially and bad habits can get formed. I think that is why CJF and Pry are trying to get them time, but balancing it out as best they can.

And our best (current) LBR (Parsons) wasn't even a LB'r he was a 5* DE.
I've already seen a huge jump from his APP St. game to the Illinois game.
Its just going to take a little time. It may not happen Sat. night but I bet it happens by the end of the season.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
I rewatched the game last night also. A few general things.

- If we can clean up the penalties I think it will be a close game. I hope at least they can stop negating large plays with penalties.

- I really wish John Reid would have came up with that pick early in the game for his own sake/confidence. I think the kid is in his own head, basically trying too hard. He got two stupid penalties not long after. I don't think the touchdown was his fault, I think that was on Cam.

- Sutherland and Jan Johnson consistently take good angles to the ball and break down nicely when making a tackle in space. Sutherland is rarely out of position. These two, along with Miller and Givens, appear to be our best overall players on defense.

- Garrett Taylor is tackling much better than he did against App State. Two times in that game I was worried he was going to injure his spine/neck the way he tackled. Head down while standing almost straight up. He looked much better against Illinois.

- Cam Brown doesn't tackle well in space but he's noticeably better at tackling in traffic. Hope those long arms start to pay off in space soon.

- Seems like when substitutions happen it's as a platoon, then we get gashed. I wonder if we'll see less guys subbing in at one time.

- Trace was fortunate to escape that game uninjured. Several times when he was caught up in a pile I saw guys coming in late and launching themselves head first at him.....and missing.

- Illinois had some big plays happen because of obvious bad holds on the line/edge. I expect more of the same against tOSU, just hope we get away with some too.

- Ellis Brooks will be really good with a little more size and a lot more experience.

- Checa needs to just kick the ball as far as possible straight if he can't corner kick. tOSU starting at the 35 two or three times will be far worse than against Illinois. In fairness, it was windy.

- I hope Windsor has the game of his life against tOSU. He struggled in all phases against Illinois.

- The coaches have to get the blitzes figured out. Either Illinois just made the right play/throw each time or they aren't working.

And our best (current) LBR (Parsons) wasn't even a LB'r he was a 5* DE.
I've already seen a huge jump from his APP St. game to the Illinois game.
Its just going to take a little time. It may not happen Sat. night but I bet it happens by the end of the season.
For some reason I think they let him loose a little bit this weekend. Similar to what they did with Farmer the last year on 3rd and longs...there isn't a RB around that is blocking him either one on one. Just one bold prediction from me, but I think you see #11 blitzing a bit more this weekend than he did in the first 4 games.

Last edited:

Young line backers also have a tendency to look into the backfield rather than read their keys. While they are stationary and looking, blockers get in their face rather than reading and reacting quickly to their keys.

observations:

- The LBers played horrendous and it wasn’t just one issue. We struggled to get off blocks, missed tackles, played slow, had the wrong play called and were often out of position. Parsons, Brown, Farmer and Ellis all really struggled at times.
- The D line was pushed around and often let the Illinois offensive line get to the second level.
- Illinois had a lot of miscues in the second half that ended drives rather than our stout defense.
- We have only 3 returning starters on defense and they’re certainly playing like that.

These aren’t issues that will get fully corrected by Saturday, but I’m hopeful that they’ll play their hearts out and we’ll score enough points to make it a game...however, I’m not going to get bent out of shape over a loss. The whiteout will be a lot of fun.

OSU by 14
So don't watch the game.

Yep. Pretty much sums up what I saw. And we were playing .... Illinois, one of the worst teams in conference.

I have no expectations for this game. I'll watch it but won't be at all surprised if things get out of hand.

OSU has defensive weaknesses but our defense just looks lost. No idea how this gets turned around in 8 days. But, anything is possible I guess.
We won by 39. I'm certain if OSU won by 39, you'd be singing their praises. I know you people.

Why do people on here cry about opinions so much? This PSU team is significantly worse than Ohio State. That's ok! Hopefully they are able to win anyway. Trace gives the team a chance against anyone.
Why do guys like you post dumb opinions and then question why we question them?

Reactions: mn78psu83
observations:

OSU by 14
I did not rewatch the game but, when I watched it live, I too saw the occasional problem on defense. Oddly enough, I AM excited for the game.

Last edited:
tOSU is NOT Significantly better than PSU! That is a fact, they have had a better run the last 10-15 years, but that gap has closed significantly the past 3 years since CJF arrived and that is a fact.

Was tOSU significantly better in 2016! NO....PSU won at home during the whiteout and in the second half pushed tOSU all over the field on both sides of the ball

Was tOSU significantly better in 2017 when the game was played at the Show and PSU led by 14 into the 4th Q. before running out of gas and choking the game away after a few key injuries during the game! NO....they were not significantly better!

So, now we are in 2018 and I see not reason to panic! Sur, the PSU defense has shown to be full of holes at times and TOSU offense has looked unstoppable at times. However, tOSU defense has been porous as well and the PSU offense is no slouch....considering they LEAD THE NATION IN SCORING!

also, consider tOSU lost their best player and they are playing in the toughest environment in college football in their first road game of the year with a first year starting QB! I like the chances of the boys in Blue and White this week in what will probably be a very high scoring game!

2016 PSU/OSU Stats:

Total Yards: OSU 413 PSU 276
1st Downs: OSU 19 PSU 13
Time Poss: OSU 37:19 PSU 22:41

??????

Reactions: mcgunns
2016 PSU/OSU Stats:

??????

Those are total stats and they dominated them for sure. Look at second half stats though. If I remember correctly, PSU dominated the second half stats, Ohio state did very little.

This isn’t new this year with PSU making great defensive adjustments in second halves. B1G championship game they also were getting run over in first half to a team that just beats and wears you down. Big bad Wisconsin. That all changed in the second half.

When PSU has had issues, end of App state, USC in rose, Ohio state last year, MSU last year....one thing in common. We couldn’t get to the QB and we couldn’t even get near them. It comes down to pressuring Haskins. If they can pressure him they will win.

Reactions: BBrown
Those are total stats and they dominated them for sure. Look at second half stats though. If I remember correctly, PSU dominated the second half stats, Ohio state did very little.

This isn’t new this year with PSU making great defensive adjustments in second halves. B1G championship game they also were getting run over in first half to a team that just beats and wears you down. Big bad Wisconsin. That all changed in the second half.

When PSU has had issues, end of App state, USC in rose, Ohio state last year, MSU last year....one thing in common. We couldn’t get to the QB and we couldn’t even get near them. It comes down to pressuring Haskins. If they can pressure him they will win.

IMO, We need to win that Time of Possession stat this year in order to win Saturday night. We have a much better OLine this year than we did in 2016. Let our shaky D rest, and keep their O on the sideline. Hopefully our punter can regularly switch field position as well.

Reactions: psugo
Many times over the years many of the Big 10 powerhouses played back to back teams with no defense and none of them scored 60 back to back. To blow it off like it’s no big deal because they haven’t played anyone is ridiculous. Every team in the history of the Big 10 have played weak teams yet only four have achieved that accomplishment.

IMO, We need to win that Time of Possession stat this year in order to win Saturday night. We have a much better OLine this year than we did in 2016. Let our shaky D rest, and keep their O on the sideline. Hopefully our punter can regularly switch field position as well.
Agree...and last year Ohio States Starters were:
  • DE Nick Bosa & Sam Hubbard
  • DT Tracy Sprinkle and DreMont Jones
  • LBers Booker, Worley and Baker
  • Ss, Webb and Smith
  • CB's, Ward & Arnette
This year
  • DE's Young and Cooper
  • DTs Jones and Landers
  • LBers Harrison, Borland and Wener
  • Ss, Pryor and Fuller
  • CB's, Sheffield and Arnette
quite a difference.

For the record, I am a PSU alum -- an engineering graduate in 1980, with Distinction. When I graduated I went to work for a large, multi-national company, retiring from that company after more than 35 years of service. I did work for a while in New Jersey. Hated it, but I do like Monty Python.

This is a football message board where we should be free to discuss both strengths and weaknesses. We have some strengths, but to me those strengths have been demonstrated only on offense, where we have skill position players that are superior. The teams we've played could not match up defensively. Scoring came easily. OSU, on the other hand, has much better athletes than those teams, on both sides of the ball.

To those with more football knowledge, please explain what you've seen that convinces you we will play defense differently on Saturday. Maybe there are a couple of things that could be done to flip performance. I would like to read it here. Will it be the environment that makes our guys shed blocks and tackle better? I suppose that is possible.

There is a place for pure fandom. Bushy, go to the stadium and yell your lungs out. On this board it should be a civil discussion. You don't seem capable of that.

I watched the OSU vs. TCU game. TCU played with a lot more speed and aggression than PSU has been playing on defense. Even so they gave up more than 500 yards to OSU. I'm sure PSU has as much or more athleticism. They're just young and not playing with enough confidence at this point.

IMO a lot of things have to come together for PSU to win this game. They have to win field position (Gilikin) and turnover battles. Maybe a special teams score (Thompkins, Hamler). They also have to hold OSU to FGs. It's a whiteout and there's no Bosa so PSU has a shot if they can keep the game close and keep the crowd engaged.

CFN prediction
https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/09/ohio-state-vs-penn-state-fearless-prediction-game-preview

see that's what I see as the problem, its not the young LB's that cant shed a block, its the older veteran guys that not only cant shed a block, but have no interest in shedding blocks. They run around the block and take themselves out of the play.

Reactions: KnightSlayer

Outside of the one long Samuels run, tOSU was bottled up in the second half.

see that's what I see as the problem, its not the young LB's that cant shed a block, its the older veteran guys that not only cant shed a block, but have no interest in shedding blocks. They run around the block and take themselves out of the play.
You have 2 guys that honestly are not natural instinctive LB's. They are very athletic so they do flash from time to time, but you aren't getting a Lee or Poz type of player there. Jan Johnson is actually the best LB on the team right now. Brooks looks like the light is going on a bit and he will be a good player down the road. The frosh are frosh and will get better...people just need to be patient.

observations:

OSU by 14
Guess you didn’t know there was a second half in football games

2016 PSU/OSU Stats:

??????
Now you've proved you don't know what the hell you're talking about. If you're going to post stats, post them all. Did you add in the 97 yard kick return for a TD? Know you didn't. By the way, since you won't figure this out on your own, that also takes away an offensive possession where the offense could add yards to its game stats. Did you factor in the short field we had after a Buckeye turnover? No you didn't and that also takes away an offensive possession where the offense could add yards to its game stats.

The fact is OSU was fortunate to win that game and it took an on fire QB AT HOME, to come out with a 1 point win. So take your smug self and stuff your analysis where the sun doesn't shine because it's the analysis of a simpleton.

Now you've proved you don't know what the hell you're talking about. If you're going to post stats, post them all. Did you add in the 97 yard kick return for a TD? Know you didn't. By the way, since you won't figure this out on your own, that also takes away an offensive possession where the offense could add yards to its game stats. Did you factor in the short field we had after a Buckeye turnover? No you didn't and that also takes away an offensive possession where the offense could add yards to its game stats.

The fact is OSU was fortunate to win that game and it took an on fire QB AT HOME, to come out with a 1 point win. So take your smug self and stuff your analysis where the sun doesn't shine because it's the analysis of a simpleton.
2016 is what he posted, not 2017 Howie. I think this OL is a wee bit better than the 2016 OL so it's not even really relevant.

You have 2 guys that honestly are not natural instinctive LB's. They are very athletic so they do flash from time to time, but you aren't getting a Lee or Poz type of player there. Jan Johnson is actually the best LB on the team right now. Brooks looks like the light is going on a bit and he will be a good player down the road. The frosh are frosh and will get better...people just need to be patient.
agree with most of what you say (to me its not instincts its want to, like I dont want to take on this blocker) ,but yet they keep getting put out there. I'd just as soon play with Jan Johnson and Parsons, and at most rotate 2 other guys in there provided their jersey # is > than 7

2016 is what he posted, not 2017 Howie.
Fine, but I could pretty much make the same argument for 2016 and I HAVE heard this argument about the 2017 game as well. Blocked punts and FG's matter and they lead to points most of the time, yet dunderheads think those stats don't count. And when you have a block and scoop for a score, you next have to kick off to the other team. No opportunity to run up offensive stats. But maybe I shouldn't blame the posters. They hear the same lame analysis on TV every week from the "experts."

Fine, but I could pretty much make the same argument for 2016 and I HAVE heard this argument about the 2017 game as well. Blocked punts and FG's matter and they lead to points most of the time, yet dunderheads think those stats don't count. And when you have a block and scoop for a score, you next have to kick off to the other team. No opportunity to run up offensive stats. But maybe I shouldn't blame the posters. They hear the same lame analysis on TV every week from the "experts."
In 2 years this OL has gotten much better. Depth which was a huge concern at every spot has gotten better overall. 2016 has nothing to do with this game. The game will be a toss up unless one team literally falls apart turnovers.

Agree...and last year Ohio States Starters were:
  • DE Nick Bosa & Sam Hubbard
  • DT Tracy Sprinkle and DreMont Jones
  • LBers Booker, Worley and Baker
  • Ss, Webb and Smith
  • CB's, Ward & Arnette
This year
  • DE's Young and Cooper
  • DTs Jones and Landers
  • LBers Harrison, Borland and Wener
  • Ss, Pryor and Fuller
  • CB's, Sheffield and Arnette
quite a difference.

Great Point, They will focus on Trace, hopefully we/he will take what they give us and Sanders will have day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT