ADVERTISEMENT

As another poster said, this game is more about McCord than it is Harrison.

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
McCord is a first year starter. The only really good defense they have played to-date is ND - especially against the pass. McCord was held well below his average season Passing Yardage and Completion Percentage in the game. Harrison was held to 3 catches for 32 yards and was not a massive offensive factor. duhO$U was held to only 17 points.

Here is the thing though, that game was @ND in Primetime, this game is @TheShoe at Noon. PSU and Diaz are going to crowd the LOS and go after McCord (stop the run, put the game on McCord and go after him). If duhO$U has early success against our D - it could be a long day. It will build his confidence @home.... crowd will become a factor, etc...

Conversely, if PSU's defense stops duhO$U's offense early and gets to McCord, it is going to shake his confidence and make him press (at this point in time, he does not know what he's going to get from PSU's Defense - first time he's playing them. What happens early is going to have a big impact on his psyche).

Should be a good game and like they say, "Why they play the game.". Personally, I think the match-up "duhO$U Offense vs PSU Defense" favors PSU, but the game is on the road (not just on the road, @TheShoe) and is a Noon start - neither of which has been historically good for PSU. The betting line suggests the game is more-or-less a toss-up outside of home-field advantage.... very difficult game to call one way or the other.

McCord is a first year starter. The only really good defense they have played to-date is ND - especially against the pass. McCord was held well below his average season Passing Yardage and Completion Percentage in the game. Harrison was held to 3 catches for 32 yards and was not a massive offensive factor. duhO$U was held to only 17 points.

Here is the thing though, that game was @ND in Primetime, this game is @TheShoe at Noon. PSU and Diaz are going to crowd the LOS and go after McCord (stop the run, put the game on McCord and go after him). If duhO$U has early success against our D - it could be a long day. It will build his confidence @home.... crowd will become a factor, etc...

Conversely, if PSU's defense stops duhO$U's offense early and gets to McCord, it is going to shake his confidence and make him press (at this point in time, he does not know what he's going to get from PSU's Defense - first time he's playing them. What happens early is going to have a big impact on his psyche).

Should be a good game and like they say, "Why they play the game.". Personally, I think the match-up "duhO$U Offense vs PSU Defense" favors PSU, but the game is on the road (not just on the road, @TheShoe) and is a Noon start - neither of which has been historically good for PSU. The betting line suggests the game is more-or-less a toss-up outside of home-field advantage.... very difficult game to call one way or the other.
Our qb also is going to have to play considerably better than he has in the previous two road games.

Our qb also is going to have to play considerably better than he has in the previous two road games.

Not really the same - 70% of duhO$U's Offense comes from their Passing Game (308 yards of their Total 443 per game). Conversely, PSU is much more balanced with 223.3 of their 426.7 per game Total Offense from the pass.

duhO$U is way more reliant on their Passing Game to move the ball which is evident in their First Down and Red Zone numbers as well.

I for one keep thinking that all of the pressure will be on McCord. An outsider from PA who has to carry the state of Ohio on his shoulders...... and we all know how people from Ohio look down on PA football. If he does not get off to a good start the nerves will intensify. The game against ND was less of a pressure cooker for him IMHO.

Conversely, Allar is from Ohio and has a chip on his shoulder with no pressure but to try to come in like a rock star and upset the apple cart in front of family/friends. Plus, the Shoe and crowd will be familiar to him. Much like Henne coming to Beaver Stadium.

Plus at noon it won't be like a 730 start. This is one game I feel better about PSU on the road.

Reactions: brupsu
I for one keep thinking that all of the pressure will be on McCord. An outsider from PA who has to carry the state of Ohio on his shoulders...... and we all know how people from Ohio look down on PA football. If he does not get off to a good start the nerves will intensify. The game against ND was less of a pressure cooker for him IMHO.

Conversely, Allar is from Ohio and has a chip on his shoulder with no pressure but to try to come in like a rock star and upset the apple cart in front of family/friends. Plus, the Shoe and crowd will be familiar to him. Much like Henne coming to Beaver Stadium.

Plus at noon it won't be like a 730 start. This is one game I feel better about PSU on the road.

BTN has analyzed the game ad infinitum.... they keep bringing up McCord being a first year starter, duhO$U's below-average running game and PSU's lack of 20+ yard plays (they did show that PSU is #3 in the Conference in plays of 10 or more yards - this shows that while PSU hasn't generated the longer chunk plays, PSU has generated a lot of intermediate chunk plays. Given that 10+ includes 20+, 30+, etc..., PSU has probably generated more 10 - 20 yard plays than anyone else.). The one huge stat that they have not referenced is that PSU, does not just lead the Nation in Total Defense, but leads the the Nation in "Sacks By" - 27 through 6 games [4.5 per game]. This is a huge stat in regards to their analysis of McCord being a 1st year starter and duhO$U being overly-reliant on the Pass due to a sub-par running game, but they mysteriously haven't mentioned it focusing more time on PSU's lack of explosion.....

Really? PA high schools have produced more NFL HOFers than OH (27 for PA and 24 for OH). BTW, PA is #2 and OH #3 - CA is #1 with 32 which is really just a function of it's sheer size (CA 3.5x bigger than PA population wise - probably even more geographically). I believe PA led CA until very recently (like last 10 years or so), but eventually CA's size since 1950 relative to PA was just too much).

BTN has analyzed the game ad infinitum.... they keep bringing up McCord being a first year starter, duhO$U's below-average running game and PSU's lack of 20+ yard plays (they did show that PSU is #3 in the Conference in plays of 10 or more yards - this shows that while PSU hasn't generated the longer chunk plays, PSU has generated a lot of intermediate chunk plays. Given that 10+ includes 20+, 30+, etc..., PSU has probably generated more 10 - 20 yard plays than anyone else.). The one huge stat that they have not referenced is that PSU, does not just lead the Nation in Total Defense, but leads the the Nation in "Sacks By" - 27 through 6 games [4.5 per game]. This is a huge stat in regards to their analysis of McCord being a 1st year starter and duhO$U being overly-reliant on the Pass due to a sub-par running game, but they mysteriously haven't mentioned it focusing more time on PSU's lack of explosion.....
It must be interesting watching those shows with the constant mindset that the world is out to get PSU. Your take isn’t right at all. They talk about all those things not just PSU lack of explosive plays. You only want to see things thru the “everybody hates PSU lens”.

oh and I’m sorry bushwood. I forgot to use the $ symbol in all the P$U spots and I’m to lazy to go back and edit.

I'd love to see our DE's living in the OSU's backfield, keeping McCord off balance, but we all know they will be held to death. I remember Lavar, play after play, getting into OSU's backfield and literally being tackled. The BIG official looked at it and said " nothing to see here"!

I'd love to see our DE's living in the OSU's backfield, keeping McCord off balance, but we all know they will be held to death. I remember Lavar, play after play, getting into OSU's backfield and literally being tackled. The BIG official looked at it and said " nothing to see here"!

Yea, definitely agree with you there - the game being called in duhO$U's favor (and duhO$U being allowed to hold with impugnity) will definitely be a factor as it always is. If the b1g clowns can flip the outcome with their biased officiating, they definitely will just as they did in 2014. Even the national press recognized it as one of the most absurdly biased called games they'd ever seen (which included duhO$U being given the ball deep in PSU territory on a supposed Interception that obviously bounced off the ground.... then the b1g replay booth claimed they were unable to review the play despite the fact that it was so blatant it could easily be seen on Stadium video screen on replay. Also included duhO$U being allowed to kick a FG despite the ball being snapped a good 2 to 3 seconds after the Play Clock expired..... And finally, the big clowns calling a bs PF penalty in OT on X-tra Point attempt that set duhO$U up at the 10 Yard Line for their next OT Possession.).

Yea, definitely agree with you there - the game being called in duhO$U's favor (and duhO$U being allowed to hold with impugnity) will definitely be a factor as it always is. If the b1g clowns can flip the outcome with their biased officiating, they definitely will just as they did in 2014. Even the national press recognized it as one of the most absurdly biased called games they'd ever seen (which included duhO$U being given the ball deep in PSU territory on a supposed Interception that obviously bounced off the ground.... then the b1g replay booth claimed they were unable to review the play despite the fact that it was so blatant it could easily be seen on Stadium video screen on replay. Also included duhO$U being allowed to kick a FG despite the ball being snapped a good 2 to 3 seconds after the Play Clock expired..... And finally, the big clowns calling a bs PF penalty in OT on X-tra Point attempt that set duhO$U up at the 10 Yard Line for their next OT Possession.).

Based on past experience I expect the shizholian refs to forget what actually constitutes holding.

Virtually all of the stats favor PSU - especially defensively. However, all of the "intangibles" favor duhO$U - Home-Field Advantage, Noon Start, b1g clown officiating..... Very tough to call as the betting-line reflects (essentially a toss-up when you factor out home-field advantage). Having the Officiating in their corner will be a huge advantage if it's a close low-scoring game.

It amazes me how every official is always out to get every team according to their fan base.

Statistically, Ohio State gets called for more penalties than Penn St. B1G fans always say this about Ohio State, and it does not hold much weight. Yea there are missed calls, but acting like the refs are out to get every team that is not Ohio State is silly.

This year in B1G play
Ohio State - 24/173 yards
Opponents - 17/166 yards

Penn State has had fewer penalties than Ohio State in the past few years. In fact in the past 5 years, Ohio State is the second most penalized team in the B1G and Penn State is the 12th.

Which ever team wins, is because they were just the better team that day.

Reactions: RickinDayton
It amazes me how every official is always out to get every team according to their fan base.

Statistically, Ohio State gets called for more penalties than Penn St. B1G fans always say this about Ohio State, and it does not hold much weight. Yea there are missed calls, but acting like the refs are out to get every team that is not Ohio State is silly.

This year in B1G play
Opponents - 17/166 yards

Penn State has had fewer penalties than Ohio State in the past few years. In fact in the past 5 years, Ohio State is the second most penalized team in the B1G and Penn State is the 12th.

Like 2014? LMAO. And that's just one of dozens of games that the biased b1g clowns have called in duhO$U's or scUM's favor vs PSU since 1993.

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
Remember the 2018 at the Beav (IIRC). The CB for OSU had the ball bounce off the ground into his hands and the official ruled an interception. They scored from about the 15 a few minutes later. Everyone in the country knew it was incomplete, even Herbstreit sp in the booth., and couldn't believe the call. Then the clock expired by "3 seconds" when OSU kicked a FG; no call by the officials and the FG stood.

Like 2014? LMAO. And that's just one of dozens of games that the biased b1g clowns have called in duhO$U's or scUM's favor vs PSU since 1993.
Sorry I go after actual statistic as opposed to conspiracy theories, especially when it comes to this because it just makes fan bases look bad when they pull out the old bad officiating card when they lose. You sound like bitter Miami fans after that pass interference call and ignoring a missed call earlier that would have ended the call. But like I said calls get missed all the time in games both ways, just bitter fans looking for an excuse harp on them.

Two things:
-Harrison was not 100% against ND (ankle injury) and is better now. PSU has to minimize his impact as much as they can.
-I think OSU will have Devin Brown (duel threat QB) play more against PSU than he has against other teams to counter PSU's pressure defense ala UM with McCcarthy.

This year in B1G play
Opponents - 17/166 yards

BTW, this year is a classic example - so far through 3 Conference Games, PSU has been called for more penalties in their 3 Conference Games than they were in their OOC games AND MORE IMPORTANTLY PSU's 3 b1g Opponents to-date have been called for significantly LESS penalties than their average coming in. Through 3 b1g games, PSU has been called for an average of 53.3 Penalty YPG (PSU averaged 40 Penalty YPG in their 3 OOC games). But again, MORE IMPORTANTLY, PSU's 3 B1G opponents to-date have been only called for 31 Penalty YPG - near the very bottom of the Conference for Opponent Penalties called (duhO$U's 3 b1g opponents have been called for 55.3 Penalty YPG). The most glaring inconsistency is the number of Holding Penalties called on PSU versus the number called on our b1g opponents - guarantee you that PSU has been called for more Offensive Holding penalties in their 3 b1g games than the number of Offensive Holding calls on our 3 b1g opponents to-date - this despite PSU not only leading the Conference, but leading the entire nation in Sacks (27 - 4.5 per game). And the Holding Penalties disproportionately called against PSU almost always wipe out big plays. Makes no sense that PSU has significantly more Holding Penalties called on them than our b1g opponents (we've had years in this homer league where our b1g opponents' OL have not been called for a single Offensive Holding penalty all year!).

• Love

This year in B1G play
Opponents - 17/166 yards

It is not total calls, it is key calls. Osu and Mich have been huge benefactors of crucial calls or non calls that have changed games or directly related to victory. Usually the refs call a bunch of bullshit make up calls on OSU or Michigan after the fact to make it look good.

For example, PSU about to win in Minny, nope pick play called. Same play run by Michigan in 2021, refs are absent.

BTW, this year is a classic example - so far through 3 Conference Games, PSU has been called for more penalties in their 3 Conference Games than they were in their OOC games AND MORE IMPORTANTLY PSU's 3 b1g Opponents to-date have been called for significantly LESS penalties than their average coming in. Through 3 b1g games, PSU has been called for an average of 53.3 Penalty YPG (PSU averaged 40 Penalty YPG in their 3 OOC games). But again, MORE IMPORTANTLY, PSU's 3 B1G opponents to-date have been only called for 31 Penalty YPG - near the very bottom of the Conference for Opponent Penalties called (duhO$U's 3 b1g opponents have been called for 55.3 Penalty YPG). The most glaring inconsistency is the number of Holding Penalties called on PSU versus the number called on our b1g opponents - guarantee you that PSU has been called for more Offensive Holding penalties in their 3 b1g games than the number of Offensive Holding calls on our 3 b1g opponents to-date - this despite PSU not only leading the Conference, but leading the entire nation in Sacks (27 - 4.5 per game). And the Holding Penalties disproportionately called against PSU almost always wipe out big plays. Makes no sense that PSU has significantly more Holding Penalties called on them than our b1g opponents (we've had years in this homer league where our b1g opponents' OL have not been called for a single Offensive Holding penalty all year!).
I'm sure that has nothing to do with playing UMass and Delaware where we don't need to hold to win battles.

Believing this conspiracy theory nonsense perfectly displays your insanity m.

Ohio State is averaging 8 penalties for 57.6 yards a game in B1G play
Penn State is averaging 5.6 penalties for 53.3 yards a game in B1G play
Michigan is averaging 3 penalties for 12 yards a game in B1G play
Combining Ohio State and Michigan to fudge numbers.

Logic would also dictate that you would get called for less holding calls against teams like Delaware as opposed to Michigan because of the huge talent difference between the DLs on those two teams.

Ohio State - 8/50 (No Offensive Holding)
Penn St - 6/50 (No Offensive Holding)

Ohio State - 10/74 Yards (No Offensive Holding)
Penn St - 7/56 yards (No Offensive Holding)

Ohio State - 9/80 (1 Offensive Holding)
Penn St - 5/31 (1 Offensive Holding)

So yea, the whole Ohio State gets all the calls, doesn't hold water. Ohio State has been called for more penalties in the last 3 games and holding calls are a wash. Penn State is one of the least penalized teams in B1G play where Ohio State is one of the most. Just bad excuses for loses.

It is not total calls, it is key calls. Osu and Mich have been huge benefactors of crucial calls or non calls that have changed games or directly related to victory. Usually the refs call a bunch of bullshit make up calls on OSU or Michigan after the fact to make it look good.

For example, PSU about to win in Minny, nope pick play called. Same play run by Michigan in 2021, refs are absent.
EVERY fan bases says this, but stats and facts do not support this..

I'm sure that has nothing to do with playing UMass and Delaware where we don't need to hold to win battles.

Believing this conspiracy theory nonsense perfectly displays your insanity m.
There are way too many examples against the anointed 2 since 1993 to chalk it up to "calls even out".

When you can name me 4 times that OSU or Michigan was each absolutely screwed on a call that changed the conference title race and their season, we will talk.

In the interim, you can guarantee that come Saturday there will be another exceptionally bad call that goes in favor of OSU. Expect a Singleton long run to be called back for holding or some overturned call that makes no sense based upon the replay.

• Haha
There are way too many examples against the anointed 2 since 1993 to chalk it up to "calls even out".

When you can name me 4 times that OSU or Michigan was each absolutely screwed on a call that changed the conference title race and their season, we will talk.

How about 2005 scUM - they flipped the outcome of the game with an utterly bullshit call regarding play called a catch to Avante despite the fact his foot clearly landed out-of-bounds (then they didn't even video review the play despite the NCAA Rulebook saying any such play inside of two minutes to go must be reviewed.... no review from the b1g cheaters on a clear non-catch - go figure). And the ridiculous bullshit call cost PSU an undefeated season.

How about 2005 scUM - they flipped the outcome of the game with an utterly bullshit call regarding play called a catch to Avante despite the fact his foot clearly landed out-of-bounds (then they didn't even video review the play despite the NCAA Rulebook saying any such play inside of two minutes to go must be reviewed.... no review from the b1g cheaters on a clear non-catch - go figure). And the ridiculous bullshit call cost PSU an undefeated season.
People forget in that game the 2 other egregious calls....Tony Johnson catching the ball with 2 feet in bounds called out of bounds and the mysterious way that time was bent to give Michigan enough for one more play at the end.

In the interim, you can guarantee that come Saturday there will be another exceptionally bad call that goes in favor of OSU. Expect a Singleton long run to be called back for holding or some overturned call that makes no sense based upon the replay.
Because you only care abut when it impacts us
Calls go against every team that they never let go
I've never had an issue with a holding call--almost all are valid and the ref is trying to judge it in real time not a slowed down replay
Overcome penalties--don't complain about them

Because you only care abut when it impacts us
Calls go against every team that they never let go
I've never had an issue with a holding call--almost all are valid and the ref is trying to judge it in real time not a slowed down replay
Overcome penalties--don't complain about them
If you continue to reply without answering, my response will be the same:

• Haha
If you continue to reply without answering, my response will be the same:

I'm not a Michigan fan so I don't recall that but their fans will come up with a long list and tell that your list is a joke. That's the point. You want to pretend we're a victim and everyone is out to get us. The reality is that no matter what someone says about a call going against Michigan or Ohio State you won't agree.

I'm not a Michigan fan so I don't recall that but their fans will come up with a long list and tell that your list is a joke. That's the point. You want to pretend we're a victim and everyone is out to get us. The reality is that no matter what someone says about a call going against Michigan or Ohio State

We don't need to talk--you're wrong due to your bias.

Wow, no wonder so few B1G fans respect Penn State fans, every excuse in the book except for their opponent was just better than them.. Wow, college football flat-earthers..

Wow, no wonder so few B1G fans respect Penn State fans, every excuse in the book except for their opponent was just better than them.. Wow, college football flat-earthers..
It's honestly frustrating as a fan that others want to make an excuse YET those same people talk nonsense about how great it is to go 10-2 or to be ranked.

• Haha

This year in B1G play
Opponents - 17/166 yards

That’s nice but the fact of the matter is that PSU got hosed on the interception call and the FG converted 2 to 3 seconds after the time clicked expired in 2014. I saw the time clocked expire looked to my left to tell my buddy delay of game, looked back and saw the FG counted as good. There is an official who has one job which is to see if the play got off in time. When PSU kicked a FG near the end of the game, it could and should have been for the win. Both of those calls were so bad, the Big admitted the following summer that they “missed” them. Your stats are meaningless; it’s when the penalties are called

Lol again every fan can do this for their team and when they do you'll disagree just like they'll disagree with you on your examples.

The reality is one or two plays never determines a game. Never. People just focus on those because it easier than admitting your team failed.

Not really the same - 70% of duhO$U's Offense comes from their Passing Game (308 yards of their Total 443 per game). Conversely, PSU is much more balanced with 223.3 of their 426.7 per game Total Offense from the pass.

duhO$U is way more reliant on their Passing Game to move the ball which is evident in their First Down and Red Zone numbers as well.
Statistics with completely different schedules mean little.

Penn State has gotten worse at every position except TEs from last years Rose Bowl finale.

While this is far from Ohio State’s best team, at home, with better players and coaches, you have to expect they will win.

Statistics with completely different schedules mean little.

Penn State has gotten worse at every position except TEs from last years Rose Bowl finale.

While this is far from Ohio State’s best team, at home, with better players and coaches, you have to expect they will win.
Your negativity is redundant and relentless.

LBs are worse?
DEs are worse?
OL is worse?
LBs - yes. Carter has been invisible this year when many were expecting All-American or all Big10

DEs - same. Maybe slight improvement

OL - worse. Last years dynamic and developing run game has disappeared.

LBs - yes. Carter has been invisible this year when many were expecting All-American or all Big10

DEs - same. Maybe slight improvement

OL - worse. Last years dynamic and developing run game has disappeared.
LBs - If nothing else we have King instead of Elsdon.

OL - Several injuries last year. Now we have Olu back and more depth.

Even QB is a question. Clifford was spectacular in the Rose Bowl but was a mixed bag throughout much of the season. At WR Washington was injured late in the season. Do you think Tinsley is such a big loss?

PSU struggled to beat Purdue and NW last year. I don't know if we can beat OSU but this team hasn't had any close calls like that this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT