ADVERTISEMENT

RBY hitting the MMA scene

Looks like it’s just a grappling match. Excited to see him compete and see what his bjj looks like

Reactions: Str8DBLz
"Stepping in the grappling game until I can wrestle again 100". Confirms that he wasn't and still isn't 100%. That answers a few questions
Does it? Not sure that tracks at all. Why would he compete in a sport that is more dangerous (in terms of submissions) because he isn't healthy enough to wrestle?

Makes more sense to me that he's referring to his 2023 senior season being over because he didn't compete at trials.

Does it? Not sure that tracks at all. Why would he compete in a sport that is more dangerous (in terms of submissions) because he isn't healthy enough to wrestle?

Makes more sense to me that he's referring to his 2023 senior season being over because he didn't compete at trials.
I dunno, maybe because he has the option of submitting if necessary?

submitting in dangerous positions that aren't legal in wrestling in the first place? guys get their knees ripped off in bjj all the time.
All the time? Give me a break. I watch a lot of MMA and it’s rare for a competitor to get his join wrenched to the point of severe injury.

I don't think there was a scenario RBY beats the version of Vito that wrestled in the semis/finals even healthy for the record. But it was pretty clear he was hobbled by the end of his Nagao match and it was aggravated against McGee. Heck, he didn't look like himself by the time he wrestled Palmer even.

I don't think there was a scenario RBY beats the version of Vito that wrestled in the semis/finals even healthy for the record. But it was pretty clear he was hobbled by the end of his Nagao match and it was aggravated against McGee. Heck, he didn't look like himself by the time he wrestled Palmer even.
Yeah--this. Vito has looked these last few months like he might win world gold. Just incredible.

But also, Cael told Byers this in the PSWC newsletter: "...He didn’t quite have the finish he wanted. You know, he actually hurt his ankle in the quarterfinals..." It was pretty obvious watching the match to me. I'm personally just really happy Roman isn't done wrestling. I wish him success in wherever his heart takes him, but selfishly just love to watch the dude on the mat, and think he'll be electric in freestyle. Would love to see many future attempts at beating Vito.

Vito is also a really bad style match up for him. Destroyed him the other two times they wrestled too, even if it was several years ago.

Vito is also a really bad style match up for him. Destroyed him the other two times they wrestled too, even if it was several years ago.
Vito is one of the only guys who can match RBY’s speed and quickness, something he depends on a ton

All the time? Give me a break. I watch a lot of MMA and it’s rare for a competitor to get his join wrenched to the point of severe injury.
In grappling only events there are a ton of heel hooks and they absolutely can do a lot of damage even if you tap quickly. It’s a super dangerous position

Last edited:

It is his quote ...not mine. He put 100 in there for a reason. Since Cael has confirmed RBY hurt his ankle in the Quarterfinals.....I will stick with my post as stated. It also would explain why RBY looked a bit slower in the Semis and Finals.

RBY is about to take this over like Bo Nickal. Huge paydays coming for these guys
This is a grappling match. Not my favorite format by any means, and a bit frustrating to watch, granted my limited understanding of the rules contribute.

I found Bo's loss to Ryan an example. Bo tosses him on his head in frustration, where Ryan then gets to assume the pill bug position, and sucked Bo in to a submission hold.

$3 is as cheap as it gets but don't be surprised if you get frustrated watching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT