ADVERTISEMENT

Lee vs. Yianni, round, uh...

My son suffered from 2 concussions in high school, one from wrestling and one from football. The second one was much worse. Hopefully Yianni is able to fully recover with no lingering effects.

For those of you who watched the match exactly how did Yanni hit his head? I heard one reference to Nick clubbing him in a tie up and suspect that is inaccurate. Is there a free view version of the match out there anywhere yet?

For those of you who watched the match exactly how did Yanni hit his head? I heard one reference to Nick clubbing him in a tie up and suspect that is inaccurate. Is there a free view version of the match out there anywhere yet?
Yianni gets a single, then switches to a double & lifts Nick completely off the mat. He then takes Nick to the mat fairly hard and appears to either go face first into the mat or hit his head around Nick's hip. It's hard to tell exactly, because Nick's body is in front of Yianni's head in the video, so you can't really see how he hits his head because of the Flo camera angle.

Last edited:
Yianni went single-leg, switched off to double. When he switched off, Nick was elevated a couple of feet. When Yianni returned him, Yianni's head hit, looked like forehead first, at the same time, and with the same velocity that Nick's body did.

most PSU wrestlers do use that clubbing crap unless they get it first!most teams PSU wrestles well they seem to like clubbing the PSU guys till they find out it doesn't help them!

It's interesting that Yianni appeared to have passed a concussion test administered by his trainer a short time after the incident. In mild defense of the trainer, this wasn't one of those situations where the injury was obvious upon it happening, since it came off Yianni's mat return, not a collision.

So he administers the test, Yianni passes, and appears noticably more lethargic. And just when you think they might step in Yianni fires off a clean shot. Somehow we get to the end without further medical attention to Yianni.

The point where I think they should've stepped in was where Nick made it 6-3, because Yianni offered no reaction much less a defense, as if he didn't recognize what had just happened.

Trainers/concussion spotters have a tough job, especially in wrestling, because stopping a match can end a career. The wrestler, in all likelihood, will say they're fine even when they're not. So there's a built-in pressure to err on the side of risk, not caution.

So back to the test. Since Yianni passed it and somehow ended up in the hospital, what does that say about the test? Again, there were elements to this that don't track your classic concussion case, so it's not hard to see how this happened.

But everyone who watched it who knows the sport saw the same thing: that the match shouldn't have continued, even if we might not all agree at what point that was.

Agree, it seemed like he was good to go until he came back from the break.
wonder if it took a bit to kick in or if he jostled his head again before break.
it sort of seemed like Nick let up a little too, he probably could tell something wasn’t right.

It's interesting that Yianni appeared to have passed a concussion test administered by his trainer a short time after the incident. In mild defense of the trainer, this wasn't one of those situations where the injury was obvious upon it happening, since it came off Yianni's mat return, not a collision.

So he administers the test, Yianni passes, and appears noticably more lethargic. And just when you think they might step in Yianni fires off a clean shot. Somehow we get to the end without further medical attention to Yianni.

The point where I think they should've stepped in was where Nick made it 6-3, because Yianni offered no reaction much less a defense, as if he didn't recognize what had just happened.

Trainers/concussion spotters have a tough job, especially in wrestling, because stopping a match can end a career. The wrestler, in all likelihood, will say they're fine even when they're not. So there's a built-in pressure to err on the side of risk, not caution.

So back to the test. Since Yianni passed it and somehow ended up in the hospital, what does that say about the test? Again, there were elements to this that don't track your classic concussion case, so it's not hard to see how this happened.

But everyone who watched it who knows the sport saw the same thing: that the match shouldn't have continued, even if we might not all agree at what point that was.
Agree, and with around 1:20 left in the match you can see the trainer get up and it looks like he wants to stop the match and check on Yianni, but then he sits back down.

Thanks for the video!!!

Well the NFL concussion protocol is more elsborate, where they test against a baseline that has been established for each player. Specific questions, etc., and it takes a few minutes to administer.

Yanni got the quick, are your eyes able to focus and track, do you feel ok (most athletes will always say yes), and are your motor skills still there. Pretty apparent that those tests are insufficient at best.

One shocker was that Nick didn't seem to pick up on the fact that he was pretty much gone, he should of shot repeatedly and teched him pretty quickly IMO.

The other shocker is his bench should have seen what we all can see as well, and stepped back in.

Both Yanni and Shapiro situations where rather similar and unfortunate. Wrestling in a degraded state may not be all that hazardous, but if either kid got his cranium rattled a second time on another mat return, we could encounter a real tragedy.

This is something wrestling needs to clean up.

Yanni and Shapiro are both elite performers and have very noticeable behaviors or signatures on the mat. It's not all that hard for their corners to know something's up right away, that is far different from just gassing. Shapiro was worse in that they kept sending him out there. Not a good look for the sport.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Disappointed in TG’s take there. And I’m a big TG fan. Hope Yianni recovers well and fast!

RE: Gomez vs Nick— obviously, Austin is the kind of wrestler that will always have a puncher’s chance, but I think Nick is better in every position, including upper body stuff. We saw it unfold at Worlds last year.

Last edited:
If you watch the video slowly, you can just see Yanni's head rebound off the mat just past Nick's hip.
The standard on field test for concussion is the SCAT 6 test. This test takes about 10 minutes to do correctly, so it was obviously not done completely. There was likely one of the red flag signs (disorientation) based on Yanni's confusion returning to center and difficulty walking. He did appear to worsen as the match progressed.

I feel Nick has separated himself from the 65 pack. He needs to qualify the weight now then TCOB at OTT. There are still a couple contenders (is Bartlett qualified?) but Nick should roll thru them. Zain is presumably sitting in 65 semis,so I am quasi looking forward to them meeting in finals.

Last edited:
Reactions: creamery freak
Have to agree. Gilman is a different type. Don’t like this one at all.
I didn't see a dig at yanni there at all not sure how you all are taking number two. If anything I took it as he was giving yanni credit for coming back as opposed to not coming back at all maybe I read it wrong

Reactions: Agoodnap
I didn't see a dig at yanni there at all not sure how you all are taking number two. If anything I took it as he was giving yanni credit for coming back as opposed to not coming back at all maybe I read it wrong
“Get well soon” would have been a better choice of words had that been the case. It’s Gilman.

Does anyone have a twitter account (or better yet his phone number) who feels like asking Thomas to clarify. Way too much speculation.

Taken it totality, that tweet contradicted itself a few times over. Wondering if Gilman weren't making some other point, directed at somebody else.

Regardless, probably better not posted.

People are pretty uptight about all the he said, she said in this thread. Time to let it go and yes bring in humor instead of weighing words.

Reactions: Creek Side
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT