ADVERTISEMENT

Lee vs. Yianni, round, uh...

I'm just curious--does anyone reading this think Yianni is better at Freestyle than Nick? Until someone from Flo or NothingMeaningful checks in, I think we're all on the same page here. And yet several of us are enjoying arguing with their imaginary friends ad nauseam. Message boards are fun . . .

And even more Nick Lee-related gifery

giphy.gif

I'm just sick of the excuses every time Nick beats him. Everybody jumps to the conclusion that Yianni can't possibly be right because he's SOOO much better than Lee and it gets old.
It would seem you misread the room. If you were on Hawkeye report or a Cornell forum I could understand questioning the motive of the person who posted but on a pro-PSU site who overwhelmingly supports a Dan favorite like Nick Lee I would not assume fans are looking to give excuses for Nick Lee wins.

Reactions: District four
It would seem you misread the room. If you were on Hawkeye report or a Cornell forum I could understand questioning the motive of the person who posted but on a pro-PSU site who overwhelmingly supports a Dan favorite like Nick Lee I would not assume fans are looking to give excuses for Nick Lee wins.
No need to assume it, just check out the 3 or 4 bozos on here justifying it once again.

Yianni wasn't trying. He bumped his head. He ate too many hot dogs. He didn't sleep well. He had a bad hair day.

That should about cover the next 4 losses.

I've found that if I don't anticipate every possible question and over-explain things to clients, I inevitably get questions, necessitating more emails = more hours = more money. So ironically, it's kinda the opposite.
That reminds me of a time I was looking to hire a lawyer and had so many questions. I remember he said hang up the phone and write down ten questions you have I will answer them for free. If you still have questions after that you can put me on a retainer. Best lawyer I ever met and he was very good. He answered all 12 questions I asked for free lol. Threw in two free ones for good measure. I still put him on retainer. Great man.
Starting to think you bumped your head.
I see what you did there lmfao 😆

@js8793 I completely understand what you and some others including @smalls103 are saying.

To be fair to the other guys, if you listened to FLO the other day you have the elder of the supernerd twins, Pyles, on there stating that he's got all this evidence he can't ignore that tells him Yianni is clearly better than Nick despite being 0-3 against him. And then listing the excuses about the mis-scored sequences and the circumstances of events that all explain why you shouldn't count those losses.

It's kinda annoying when Nick just keeps settling it on the mat and some of the takes here are probably just a reaction to that and not the posts in this thread.

@js8793 I completely understand what you and some others including @smalls103 are saying.

To be fair to the other guys, if you listened to FLO the other day you have the elder of the supernerd twins, Pyles, on there stating that he's got all this evidence he can't ignore that tells him Yianni is clearly better than Nick despite being 0-3 against him. And then listing the excuses about the mis-scored sequences and the circumstances of events that all explain why you shouldn't count those losses.

It's kinda annoying when Nick just keeps settling it on the mat and some of the takes here are probably just a reaction to that and not the posts in this thread.
And the Cornell Lawyers once being involved have forever scarred the rivalry.

I'm just curious--does anyone reading this think Yianni is better at Freestyle than Nick? Until someone from Flo or NothingMeaningful checks in, I think we're all on the same page here. And yet several of us are enjoying arguing with their imaginary friends ad nauseam. Message boards are fun . . .
I used to think Yianni would be better in freestyle than folk because he has a gift that most of the Russians and eastern Europeans have, where he turns his opponent's attack into his exposure points by making it look like he initiated the action, and generally being able to monkey around guys who get in on his legs. Similar, ironically, to how Nick Lee scored his first two points today.

But his overall game has declined a bit, and it was noticable even during his last folk season. I don't know whether the numbers support this, but I think Yianni became gradually less dominant over his college tenure. Freshman Yianni would've posed as much a threat today to Nick as this one did, setting the injury aside.

Conversely, Nick looked more like a classic folk wrestler who got gradually better over his college years, who also grew into an excellent freestyle wrestler. Just a steady incline year after year.

Yianni is obviously really good. He earned that silver 2 years back, and that may not be the last of his hardware collection. I’m just saying right now, Nick has his number and the better trajectory.

Yianni is obviously really good. He earned that silver 2 years back, and that may not be the last of his hardware collection. I’m just saying right now, Nick has his number and the better trajectory.
And I am saying Nick is a better wrestler. Period.

Reactions: PSU James
I used to think Yianni would be better in freestyle than folk because he has a gift that most of the Russians and eastern Europeans have, where he turns his opponent's attack into his exposure points by making it look like he initiated the action, and generally being able to monkey around guys who get in on his legs. Similar, ironically, to how Nick Lee scored his first two points today.

But his overall game has declined a bit, and it was noticable even during his last folk season. I don't know whether the numbers support this, but I think Yianni became gradually less dominant over his college tenure. Freshman Yianni would've posed as much a threat today to Nick as this one did, setting the injury aside.

Conversely, Nick looked more like a classic folk wrestler who got gradually better over his college years, who also grew into an excellent freestyle wrestler. Just a steady incline year after year.
IMO FR Yianni doesn't lose to FR Gomez (they both started in 2018).

Something changed between 2018 and 2023.

I just pray Yianni will be OK. I watched several videos that documented Helen Maroulis' concussion issues. I must admit I had no idea how traumatic concussions could be prior to learning more about them from following Helen's journey. For Yianni's sake I am glad this occurred here rather than at Olympic Trials. I want to see all of the U.S. wrestlers at full strength for the Trials. The Kid Twist mentioned Gomez as a potentially formidable foe for Nick. Hopefully they are on opposite sides of the bracket at Pan Am and make the Finals so they can both qualify their respective countries.

I didn't realize Elor was going down in weight, she still looks pretty good.
She did look good. In the interview I have attached she says she feels as strong at 68kg as she did at 72kg and that she still lifts as much weight in her weight training sessions as she did previously. She did look fairly tired by the end of the match, but she did mention that wrestling at elevation is harder. If she looks this good on her first cut down to 68kg in quite some time, I think she will have no problems going forward as she prepares to qualify the weight for the United States.

maybe the most classless thing he’s ever posted. where were you today thomas? too scared to make weight to try to represent your country?

I just pray Yianni will be OK. I watched several videos that documented Helen Maroulis' concussion issues. I must admit I had no idea how traumatic concussions could be prior to learning more about them from following Helen's journey. For Yianni's sake I am glad this occurred here rather than at Olympic Trials. I want to see all of the U.S. wrestlers at full strength for the Trials. The Kid Twist mentioned Gomez as a potentially formidable foe for Nick. Hopefully they are on opposite sides of the bracket at Pan Am and make the Finals so they can both qualify their respective countries.
Gomez could write a book about concussions.

maybe the most classless thing he’s ever posted. where were you today thomas? too scared to make weight to try to represent your country?
He gave birth to a baby recently.

I remember back when Gilman despised social media, wore funny hats and enjoyed the peace and serenity of drinking coffee and reading books in coffee shops alone.

People change in all kinds of ways.

You can slice bread straight or you can slice bread crooked, either way it is sliced..... Yanni had a concussion!

Just to add context (not excusing the classless comments I've seen) - It's clear there is just a ton of animosity between PSU/NLWC and Cornell/FLWC and some of our fans (and unfortunately Thomas Gilman) are very wrongly taking it out on Yianni. Cornell wrestlers frequently took shots at Zain, basically celebrating when he had a ton of freestyle shortcomings. They took shots at Max Dean for doing whats best for himself and coming to Penn State when he wasn't sure there would be a season at Cornell. As we all know, Zain and Max are up there for most loved leaders in our room so yeah, it's not appreciated by our guys. The coaches wife frequently takes shots at Penn State on twitter, implying the team cheats. So yeah, there is no love lost between us.

I say all that to say this, Yianni has never taken a shot at PSU or Nick and even if he did, you don't do anything but wish him well when he is very clearly injured. Who cares if people want to discredit Nick's win? I promise you Nick doesn't. He's the rep, end of story. Concussions literally change peoples lives. The first match being allowed to finish was a travesty.

Last edited:
Just to add context (not excusing the classless comments I've seen) - It's clear there is just a ton of animosity between PSU/NLWC and Cornell/FLWC and some of our fans (and unfortunately Thomas Gilman) are very wrongly taking it out on Yianni. Cornell wrestlers frequently took shots at Zain, basically celebrating when he had a ton of freestyle shortcomings. They took shots at Max Dean for doing whats best for himself and coming to Penn State when he wasn't sure there would be a season at Cornell. As we all know, Zain and Max are up there for most loved leaders in our room so yeah, it's not appreciated by our guys. The coaches wife frequently takes shots at Penn State on twitter, implying the team cheats. So yeah, there is no love lost between us.

I say all that to say this, Yianni has never taken a shot at PSU or Nick and even if he did, you don't do anything but wish him well when he is very clearly injured. Who cares if people want to discredit Nick's win? I promise you Nick doesn't. He's the rep, end of story. Concussions literally change peoples lives. The first match being allowed to finish was a travesty.
I think you made some very valid points in your post.

Just to add a little more context that may, or may not, have something to do with the digs at Yianni. Don’t forget that a few years ago, Yianni’s little brother took a cheap shot at Bo on social media and got put in his place quickly by J’Den Cox.

I know that wasn’t Yianni who made the post, but family names can sometimes stick. The youngest Fiat is going to learn that the hard way.

IMO FR Yianni doesn't lose to FR Gomez (they both started in 2018).

Something changed between 2018 and 2023.
Don’t forget that SVN had him beat at one point in last year’s NCAA tournament. I think he would have won that match if he had just a little more experience. I actually had the feeling that Yianni just squeaked by to win his 4th title. So I agree, something seems to have changed since 2018.

Reactions: creamery freak
Don’t forget that SVN had him beat at one point in last year’s NCAA tournament. I think he would have won that match if he had just a little more experience. I actually had the feeling that Yianni just squeaked by to win his 4th title. So I agree, something seems to have changed since 2018.
Murin was close to getting back points to win it in the quarters. Yianni was up 8-5 before Murin got his only TD (Yianni had 3) and used a claw ride to bring Yianni over. You can tell Yianni was very uncomfortable in that position and was worried a count was starting.

He gave birth to a baby recently.

I remember back when Gilman despised social media, wore funny hats and enjoyed the peace and serenity of drinking coffee and reading books in coffee shops alone.

People change in all kinds of ways.
He and his his wife had a child. However, his wife “gave birth” to the baby. He would need more changes than the NLWC can provide to actually birth a child

Last edited:
I question if wrestling for Mich this year is in Gomez's best interest. 149 during the season and post-season, 143.3 at the end of Feb for the qualifier.

Doesn’t some of the animosity PSU fans feel towards Cornell and Yianni stem from the fact that they didn’t accept the loss to Zain and got lawyers involved to force the special wrestle off?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT