ADVERTISEMENT

Lee vs. Yianni, round, uh...

NothingMeaningful

Dec 21, 2018
...no idea. Best-of-three wrestle-off in Denver on 2/3/24 to determine Pan Am Games Olympic Qualifier team member at 65kg.

Nobody challenged Zane Richards at 57kg. Likely wrestlers also include RBY (Mexico) and Darian Cruz (Puerto Rico).

USA has not qualified for the Olympics at either weight. Two finalists at each weight qualify their country.

...no idea. Best-of-three wrestle-off in Denver on 2/3/24 to determine Pan Am Games Olympic Qualifier team member at 65kg.

Nobody challenged Zane Richards at 57kg. Likely wrestlers also include RBY (Mexico) and Darian Cruz (Puerto Rico).

USA has not qualified for the Olympics at either weight. Two finalists at each weight qualify their country.
Why not just fight it out in court?

Would be ironic if Lee is the USA Olympic rep but we don't qualify the weight.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel

Hopefully Zane and RBY are on the opposite sides of the bracket and make it to the Finals.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Happened to Oliver in 21
That was a shame as Zain had that qualification match completely in hand when his opponent stepped over Zain's turn attempt and pinned him. Knowing Zain, he probably felt bad that he wasn't able to get the weight qualified for Oliver.

That is a lot of faith some of 57kg guys are putting in Zane Richards’ hands. Especially given how loaded the LCQ figures to be

That is a lot of faith some of 57kg guys are putting in Zane Richards’ hands. Especially given how loaded the LCQ figures to be
That's totally what I was thinking. Who all was elligible to challenge, again? Gilman, and anyone else?

Pretty sure Vito, Gilman and Fix were all eligible.
I don’t understand why no one would challenge Richards? If he doesn’t make the finals is there another chance to qualify the weight for the Olympics?

I don’t understand why no one would challenge Richards? If he doesn’t make the finals is there another chance to qualify the weight for the Olympics?
There is a last chance Olympic qualifier--but those are usually extremely tough tournaments--much more so than pan-ams, anyway. Man, I hope RBY gets drawn up opposite Zane . . .

Reactions: zzs006
Vito is in the midst of a folkstyle season at 133, so dropping to 125.x would be a real issue. He's in a difficult situation. Guessing he's going to be as light as possible at NCAAs without jeopardizing his chances there, then drop to 57kg for OTT a month later. If he doesn't win that, it's all moot. If he does win and Richards doesn't make the Pan Am finals, then he'd go to LCQ.

That was a shame as Zain had that qualification match completely in hand when his opponent stepped over Zain's turn attempt and pinned him. Knowing Zain, he probably felt bad that he wasn't able to get the weight qualified for Oliver.
Yeah, that sure was a fluke, first round too, wasnt it?

Where is the LQC? Can we send multiple guys?
It's in Istanbul--I haven't seen a date yet, but in the past, it's been after team USA has chosen its olympic team, so my guess is the winner of trials would go if needed (pretty sure it's one entry per nation). This year, in a plot twist, that tourney will have a "true third" match, with the top 3 qualifying the weight for their country.

It's in Istanbul--I haven't seen a date yet, but in the past, it's been after team USA has chosen its olympic team, so my guess is the winner of trials would go if needed (pretty sure it's one entry per nation). This year, in a plot twist, that tourney will have a "true third" match, with the top 3 qualifying the weight for their country.
Ok I remember now, isnt this how Tank qualified in 16?

don't understand why one would feel the need to explain oneself repeatedly....:eek:

I know it's hard to cut weight but for the life of me I don't know wtf is going on at 57? Zero challengers? I think the odds are team USA gets screwed. Am I wrong?

I know it's hard to cut weight but for the life of me I don't know wtf is going on at 57? Zero challengers? I think the odds are team USA gets screwed. Am I wrong?
The only 2 who could challenge were Vito and Gilman, possibly Fix as well. Vito/Fix wouldn't as that would mean dropping to 57kg during the season and then again for the qualifier which is being held the week before the conference tournaments. Then that leaves Gilman, who they say the cut is really tough for him, and didn't he just have another child very recently. So, trust in Zane and if not face the last chance qualifier which will be brutal.

i think i heard the pan am championships are a seeding criteria for the olympic qualifiers, so i think as long as RBY and spencer make the finals of championships, i would hope USA and mexico will be on opposite sides of the olympic qualifier.

worst case, whoever wins the spot at USA qualifiers will get to try to win the olympic last chance qualifier

i think i heard the pan am championships are a seeding criteria for the olympic qualifiers, so i think as long as RBY and spencer make the finals of championships, i would hope USA and mexico will be on opposite sides of the olympic qualifier.

worst case, whoever wins the spot at USA qualifiers will get to try to win the olympic last chance qualifier
The Canadian already has seed points and he's at the championships as well so he could also throw a wrench in things

Reactions: psumacw
I see Yianni is registered for the qualifier. Is Nick Lee vs Yianni still happening this weekend?

The Canadian already has seed points and he's at the championships as well so he could also throw a wrench in things
235a0v.gif

Reactions: west2east
I am wondering if they used the names of the people going to the Pan Am games the week before?
At 57kg we didn't Spencer is listed for the championships and Richards for the qualifier. Yianni is listed at 65kg for both. Yianni is challenging Nick so you would think Nick would be the guy registered

At 57kg we didn't Spencer is listed for the championships and Richards for the qualifier. Yianni is listed at 65kg for both. Yianni is challenging Nick so you would think Nick would be the guy registered
If Yianni is already listed, likely means Nick withdrew. Hope he's healthy but more important to be ready for trials and you want the rep for this event to be healthy, Team USA first.

If Yianni is already listed, likely means Nick withdrew. Hope he's healthy but more important to be ready for trials and you want the rep for this event to be healthy, Team USA first.
That's what I am thinking and why I asked. I haven't heard that it's been called off but I'm not sure we would get that announcement

That's what I am thinking and why I asked. I haven't heard that it's been called off but I'm not sure we would get that announcement
Any idea how 65KG brackets are looking this year? No medalist so nobody is sitting in the finals. Zain has a bye to the semis if that's what he chooses, does Nick have any benefits as a returning team member and if Yianni qualifies the weight, does he get anything?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT