ADVERTISEMENT

Pan-Am's

Remind us, this qualifies the weight for Olympics, right? Only one entry per country at each weight? How is that person chosen? And is it 57 and 65 that need qualified? How many qualify at each weight, top two?

Ok, after reading the article, this is not the qualifying event, but the country has to partipate in this to go to the qualifying event.

And I swear i read it three times before i found that part, despite the article only being a few sentences long, other than the list of participants. Oh well, I guess reading comprehension is hard…..

Ironically the qualifying event is called the Pan American Olympic Qualifier not Pan American Championship.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Str8DBLz and mcpat
Excited for Alex's opportunity here. Is the Dylan Palacio Pintada from Uraguay the Cornell dude?

Remind us, this qualifies the weight for Olympics, right? Only one entry per country at each weight? How is that person chosen? And is it 57 and 65 that need qualified? How many qualify at each weight, top two?

Ok, after reading the article, this is not the qualifying event, but the country has to partipate in this to go to the qualifying event.

And I swear i read it three times before i found that part, despite the article only being a few sentences long, other than the list of participants. Oh well, I guess reading comprehension is hard…..

Ironically the qualifying event is called the Pan American Olympic Qualifier not Pan American Championship.

Long post, sorry....

Looks like you answered most of your own questions, but to help clarify:

Pan Ams Championships(PAC) does not have any Olympic quotas on the line. It does have seeding implications for the Pan Am Olympic Qualifier.

The Pan Am Olympic Qualifier(PAOQ) is a few days after the Championships. This event has 2 Olympic quotas per weight.

USA still needs to qualify 57 & 65. Zane Richards will be the rep at 57 for PAOQ. Nick Lee and Yianni will wrestle off soon for the 65 spot at PAOQ.

Some things of note for PAC-

A country has to compete in PAC to be allowed to also compete in PAOQ. It doesn't have to be the same wrestler, though(See Spencer&Richards).

Suriano at 61 is interesting. Maybe moving up to 65? He hasn't qualified for OTT yet, though. A top 2 placement here gets him a spot at OTT. All other US entrants are already qualified for OTT

RBY in a tough spot. IF he does both events, he's looking at a long stretch of maintaining weight and multiple matches. A good showing at PAC(top 2) should get him a seed opposite Richards at PAOQ, though. That would be a good thing for both him and USA.

Spencer's main benefit is getting mat time against international opponents.

Last edited:
Long post, sorry....

Pan Ams Championships(PAC) does not have any Olympic quotas on the line. It does have seeding implications for the Pan Am Olympic Qualifier.

The Pan Am Olympic Qualifier(PAOQ) is a few days after the Championships. This event has 2 Olympic quotas per weight.

USA still needs to qualify 57 & 65. Zane Richards will be the rep at 57 for PAOQ. Nick Lee and Yianni will wrestle off soon for the 65 spot at PAOQ.

A country has to compete in PAC to be allowed to also compete in PAOQ. It doesn't have to be the same wrestler, though(See Spencer&Richards).

Suriano at 61 is interesting. Maybe moving up to 65? He hasn't qualified for OTT yet, though. A top 2 placement here gets him a spot at OTT. All other US entrants are already qualified for OTT

RBY in a tough spot. IF he does both events, he's looking at a long stretch of maintaining weight and multiple matches. A good showing at PAC(top 2) should get him a seed opposite Richards at PAOQ, though. That would be a good thing for both him and USA.

@jrod65 you are one of my favorite posters on here. You always bring great information and even though you support the evil empire you are never a dick like a few of your brethren. I always appreciate the knowledge you bring so thank you and keep it up

giphy.gif

Long post, sorry....

Long post, sorry....

Thanks for the info! Where will the wrestle off between Zain and Yianni happen?

Edit, should have typed Nick Lee instead of Zain

Last edited:
I thought Zane Richard’s was our rep to qualify the weight? He could have been challenged by Gilman and Vito but they declined?

I’d rather have Spencer there than Richards
Richards is like Marsteller. He somehow won the match over Gilman, like Chance over Burroughs, but as far as international competition on the big stage. 💩💩
I have no doubt Burroughs would have gotten a medal at worlds and maybe Gilman too.
Chance and Richards shit the bed, exactly as they have in the past.

Richards is like Marsteller. He somehow won the match over Gilman, like Chance over Burroughs, but as far as international competition on the big stage. 💩💩
I have no doubt Burroughs would have gotten a medal at worlds and maybe Gilman too.
Sucks Gilman and Burroughs shit the bed against Richards and Chance, and therefore lost those medals they would've gotten.

Reactions: aalion
And JB was somewhat vocal about how Chance "trained to beat one guy and one guy only"

In Mars's defense, he did have some good international wins the last couple years,just couldnt do shit at worlds.

Last edited:
Ironic since it was Burroughs who had a bye to Final X and Chance that had to beat five different wrestlers at the U.S. Open to get there.

Josiah Green VFA 0:39
Aaden Valdez VSU1 1:21
Devin Skatzka VSU1 4:19
David McFadden 6-1
Alex Dieringer 3-2

so ringer was the only close match. and the only other guy in the bracket that i think would have given chance a tough time was starocci. so really chance had to prepare for 2 guys at the open, then both he and jordan would prepare for each other after that.

but i agree that jordan's statement is kind of dumb. like, if chance is that good that he doesn't need to worry about other guys at the open, then why should jordan be training to beat anyone but chance?

David McFadden 6-1
Alex Dieringer 3-2

so ringer was the only close match. and the only other guy in the bracket that i think would have given chance a tough time was starocci. so really chance had to prepare for 2 guys at the open, then both he and jordan would prepare for each other after that.

but i agree that jordan's statement is kind of dumb. like, if chance is that good that he doesn't need to worry about other guys at the open, then why should jordan be training to beat anyone but chance?
I still feel had Nolf entered 79 instead of 74 he probably would have won worlds

But does he want to leave it in Richards hand to qualify the spot. Seems risky , I would want our best guy out there to try and qualify that spot
Yep, this certainly seems like a very legitimate risk for team USA.

There is little doubt in my mind Gilman was flat due to the difficult cut. Who knows he may never be as effective as he once was down at that weight.

I am starting to speculate the same concern for Levi. Any big weight cut is a bitch. What did DT say and display when he allowed himself to go at his optimal weight and stop the severe cutting? Night and day IMO.

Yep, this certainly seems like a very legitimate risk for team USA.

There is little doubt in my mind Gilman was flat due to the difficult cut. Who knows he may never be as effective as he once was down at that weight.

I am starting to speculate the same concern for Levi. Any big weight cut is a bitch. What did DT say and display when he allowed himself to go at his optimal weight and stop the severe cutting? Night and day IMO.
So Levi vigorously fighting in the 12th minute of the opening bout of a dual (closest to weigh-ins) is leaving questions in your mind about his cut? Are you leaning on “lack of strength to finish shots” as your angle?

David McFadden 6-1
Alex Dieringer 3-2

McFadden has beaten Cenzo, pinned Martinez, and lost on criteria to Dieringer. Marsteller likely didn't gloss over him during training.

Reactions: mcpat
So Levi vigorously fighting in the 12th minute of the opening bout of a dual (closest to weigh-ins) is leaving questions in your mind about his cut? Are you leaning on “lack of strength to finish shots” as your angle?
Levi is the first wrestler in history to be more effective in the 3rd period and OT than in the 1st period, due to cutting weight.

Maybe. I saw him dozens of times last year on shots where he got stuck underneath, somewhat inexplicably just pull both legs in and power through a double. It was impressive, and rare at this level. I don't know that I have seen him do that same thing even once this year.

I am far from Levi basher and suspect he will be firing on all cylinders come March.

Those of us who are being too high and mighty thus avoiding any critique of one of our favorites, really don't have much to say. This is what we do here on these boards, reclined on a couch with our beer bellies shelfing a plate full of chips. That said, anyone who thinks a second year Levi is where we all thought he would be this far into January are smoking something.

The rumors of ' something is up with Levi's extend far beyond this board. Is he hurt, is he sick, is the cut punative? Noone on the outside knows.

If I had to guess, the February Levi will be a 'cut' above the December-January Levi we have seen so far.

Maybe. I saw him dozens of times last year on shots where he got stuck underneath, somewhat inexplicably just pull both legs in and power through a double. It was impressive, and rare at this level. I don't know that I have seen him do that same thing even once this year.

I am far from Levi basher and suspect he will be firing on all cylinders come March.

Those of us who are being too high and mighty thus avoiding any critique of one of our favorites, really don't have much to say. This is what we do here on these boards, reclined on a couch with our beer bellies shelfing a plate full of chips. That said, anyone who thinks a second year Levi is where we all thought he would be this far into January are smoking something.

The rumors of ' something is up with Levi's extend far beyond this board. Is he hurt, is he sick, is the cut punative? Noone on the outside knows.

If I had to guess, the February Levi will be a 'cut' above the December-January Levi we have seen so far.
Well there was a post on here, supposedly from info supplied by his parent, that he was battling an ailment and getting better. So i am not sure why people are still questioning the reason for him not having the power he had last year, or blaming the weight cut.

Well there was a post on here, supposedly from info supplied by his parent, that he was battling an ailment and getting better. So i am not sure why people are still questioning the reason for him not having the power he had last year, or blaming the weight cut.
Yep, I saw that too. I am ok with the term 'ailment' which could mean a lot of things. I am even more ok with the term 'temporary'! ;-)

Reactions: PD4thespawn
And JB was somewhat vocal about how Chance "trained to beat one guy and one guy only"

In Mars's defense, he did have some good international wins the last couple years,just couldnt do shit at worlds.
The Germans I spoke to in Belgrade were wondering how we left three World or Olympic Champions at home and still won the team title. I guess our team is pretty good, even without Gilman, Burroughs, and Steveson.

Sucks Gilman and Burroughs shit the bed against Richards and Chance, and therefore lost those medals they would've gotten.
I get it. I'm just saying based on "having been there" that Gilman and Burroughs would have given us a better chance at medals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT