ADVERTISEMENT

Lee vs. Yianni, round, uh...

I feel Nick has separated himself from the 65 pack. He needs to qualify the weight now then TCOB at OTT. There are still a couple contenders but Nick should roll thru them.Zain is presumably sitting in 65 semis,so I am quasi looking forward to them meeting in finals.
I doubt Nick is, but I definitely wouldn't sleep on Alirez either. Kid is just deadly w/ his transition to lace....

Wow, that's real commitment by Yianni to check himself into the hospital just to further the ruse that he was really injured and lock down an excuse for what was clearly poor performance/conditioning.

🤪😜🤣

Having now watched the video it's clear that Yianni wasn't himself as soon as he hit his head. He didn't even try to lace or score on Nick but just shut down. Nick acknowledged as much when he immediately gave Yianni a sympathetic pat on the back when he got up. I think everything Yianni did after that was pure muscle memory as he progressively faded the rest of the match.

Trainers should've definitely stepped in before the 2nd period and taken YD back to the locker room for a full and careful concussion protocol. Had they done so, I highly doubt YD would've been allowed to finish the match.

Wow, that's real commitment by Yianni to check himself into the hospital just to further the ruse that he was really injured and lock down an excuse for what was clearly poor performance/conditioning.

🤪😜🤣

Having now watched the video it's clear that Yianni wasn't himself as soon as he hit his head. He didn't even try to lace or score on Nick but just shut down. Nick acknowledged as much when he immediately gave Yianni a sympathetic pat on the back when he got up. I think everything Yianni did after that was pure muscle memory as he progressively faded the rest of the match.

Trainers should've definitely stepped in before the 2nd period and taken YD back to the locker room for a full and careful concussion protocol. Had they done so, I highly doubt YD would've been allowed to finish the match.
The sport needs a concussion/injury tent like the NFL has. No joke. Get them some privacy and let the doctor check them out for a couple minutes.

FYI - I got a text from a friend who is very well connected with the Cornell program. He didn’t give me any details but indicated that Yianni was in a pretty bad way when he checked into the hospital.

My suggestion at this point is we forget about all the post event speculation and interpretation of what other people meant and focus on sending prayers and good thoughts out in the hope that Yianni recovers quickly and fully.

After they tested him for concussion and let him continue, it didn’t look like much, but YD shot and Nick sprawled and YD head, with Nick’s hips on top of his head, came down onto the mat. Didn’t look like much but after that, he didn’t look quite right to me.

Alirez is a real threat, has he qualified?

Yes. He won Senior Nationals, beating Beau 8-0 in the finals. Top 5 finishers qualified for the Olympic Trials.

Reactions: hlstone

🤪😜🤣

This is exactly how I saw it. In real time I thought it was weird that Yanni didn't try to lace, but the sportsmanship pat on the back and subsequent body language from Yanni led me to believe that Yanni got "dinged."

USA Wrestling has a concussion protocol. I think a number of people dropped the ball here. These are the people who could have stopped it. Hell, Nick Lee himself could have stopped the match. Did a tournament medical staff person assess Yianni right there, or was it Yianni's trainer? http://content.themat.com/events/ConcussionProtocol.pdf

If a wrestler becomes unconscious or referee, coach, athlete or medical provider suspects a wrestler may have received a concussion; the match must be stopped and a tournament medical staff person will assess the wrestler. The tournament medical staff will have unlimited time to determine if the wrestler can continue.

USA Wrestling has a concussion protocol. I think a number of people dropped the ball here. These are the people who could have stopped it. Hell, Nick Lee himself could have stopped the match. Did a tournament medical staff person assess Yianni right there, or was it Yianni's trainer? http://content.themat.com/events/ConcussionProtocol.pdf
Yea Nick should have been giving Yanni checkups every 30 seconds on the mat, maybe even let up and call a timeout, hopefully get a stoppage for Yanni before he gets 4 pointed!

I believe Alirez is the last man standing in that he's the only guy that beat Nick that hasn't had the favor returned. I may have missed one, but Alirez quickly teched Nick 10-0 a couple of years ago at the WTT (I think that's where it was).

If Nick has beaten him since, I'm not sure when it was.

Oddly enough I am not sure Nick knew, or at least not to the extent Yianni's skills were degraded.

Nick could or should have gone on full attack mode and closed out that match, but he didn't.

It appeared he was still giving Yianni the usual full respect through most of their tie ups and sequences.

When you have your face in a guy's chest he may not have seen what we were all seeing and Yianni was still giving a yoeman's effort to try and eke something out.

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
I just re-watched the second period. It was obvious after the first exchange of the second period and as the period was progressing that something was seriously wrong with Yianni. It was evident in his facial expressions and by how wobbly he was on his feet. I am sure Nick noticed, but like you said, it his hard to know how much Nick understood the extent of Yianni's condition. In the heat of the match there isn't much time to focus on such things. What I saw was Nick continuing his measured attacks and building to the 12-3 lead. At the restart at 0:10 and until the end, Nick doesn't even try an attack to get the tech. I view that as a sign of respect from Nick toward Yianni, which is consistent with the class and good sportsmanship Nick has always shown on and off the mat.

The first name written after "a number of people dropped the ball" was Nick Lee. Forgive us for thinking you were implying something.
It was obvious that trainers, medical personnel, and coaches could have stopped it. It was surprising that an athlete (not specifically the injured athlete) could stop it. Hence my reference to Nick Lee. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

I just re-watched the second period. It was obvious after the first exchange of the second period and as the period was progressing that something was seriously wrong with Yianni. It was evident in his facial expressions and by how wobbly he was on his feet. I am sure Nick noticed, but like you said, it his hard to know how much Nick understood the extent of Yianni's condition. In the heat of the match there isn't much time to focus on such things. What I saw was Nick continuing his measured attacks and building to the 12-3 lead. At the restart at 0:10 and until the end, Nick doesn't even try an attack to get the tech. I view that as a sign of respect from Nick toward Yianni, which is consistent with the class and good sportsmanship Nick has always shown on and off the mat.
I agree. Nick showed a lot of class (and compassion) for not destroying Yianni, and I'm sure he knew he could have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT