ADVERTISEMENT

Pan-Am's

So if there's a true 3rd for the last spot,then you don't qualify just by making the semis right? You would have to either make the finals, or win bronze plus win the true 3rd match
Yeah, you have to make the finals, or take 3rd, I believe.

Sayeth UWW:
...Apart from the 36 finalists across three styles, the bronze medal winners will also have a chance to get a quota for their country. An additional wrestle-off will be held between the two bronze medal winners and the wrestler who wins the quota wrestle-off will take the trip to Paris.

So if there's a true 3rd for the last spot,then you don't qualify just by making the semis right? You would have to either make the finals, or win bronze plus win the true 3rd match
My bad I meant win the semis . Just like pan ams

Reactions: sstark46
USA will send the trials winner at 65 to the last chance world Olympic qualifier. If you make the semis you qualify the weight. They also will wrestle a true bronze. So 3 spots are available
I meant win the semis . You make the finals you qualify. Just like pan ams

World Qualification Tournament May 9–12, 2024 Turkey Istanbul, Turkey[5]
Qualification

Phase 3: 2024 World Qualification Tournament

The last 54 quotas will be decided at the 2024 World Qualification Tournament. The two highest-ranked athletes in each of the 18 Olympic weight categories will obtain one quota place each for their NOC. In addition, a bout will be organised between the two third-placed athletes and the winner of that bout will also obtain one quota place for his/her NOC.

That tournament is going to be insane, especially at that weight. You'd probably set the odds at around 10% to qualify for whoever wins the spot, if not lower. This is a crushing loss.

That's now 3 cycles in a row the 65/66 rep completely choked at Pan Ams. Both past reps failed to qualify at Last Chance (though Frank got in eventually due to a PED test). Brutal.

I'd guess it's much better than 10%. Following this event 7 nations will be qualified and several more will be in after the continental qualifiers. I'd put our chances at closer to 50%

We have some studs at 65 kgs, but if our best wrestler can't nab one of 3 spots at the last-chance qualifier, we wouldn't likely get a medal anyway.

Last edited:
I'd guess it's much better than 10%. Following this event 7 nations will be qualified and several more will be in after the continental qualifiers. I'd put our chances at closer to 50%

We have some studs at 65 kgs, but if our best wrestler can't nab one of 3 spots at the last-chance qualifier, we wouldn't likely get a medal anyway.
You greatly underestimate the depth of 65kg worldwide. We are 0/2 qualifying at Last Chance and the field has only gotten deeper with all the Russian transfers.

As for your last sentence, again a misunderstanding of the landscape. There are like 20 guys in the world that could medal on any given day at 65kg, if not more. Getting to the dance is the first major battle. That's why qualifying here was so important. Last Chance will be filled with hammers from the European and Asian qualifiers.

There will certainly be guys good enough to medal who won't qualify.

You greatly underestimate the depth of 65kg worldwide. We are 0/2 qualifying at Last Chance and the field has only gotten deeper with all the Russian transfers.

As for your last sentence, again a misunderstanding of the landscape. There are like 20 guys in the world that could medal on any given day at 65kg, if not more. Getting to the dance is the first major battle. That's why qualifying here was so important. Last Chance will be filled with hammers from the European and Asian qualifiers.

Unfortunately, I agree 100%. This was a brutal loss and it's going to be a tough road to qualify the weight now.

There's no sugarcoating it, 65K is in a bad situation. Qualifying out of Pan Ams is always what you want. Something was off with Nick today (easy to say when your guy loses but I think anyone who's watched him/saw him today would agree) and it couldn't have happened at a worse time.

I'm not sure how, but Jesus looked to have considerable size on Roman. Didn't matter in the end, but that was an interesting bout.
Spencer against that guy last week. Roman does not look good down at 57. I wish we could see him against Richards or Cruz today.

Spencer against that guy last week. Roman does not look good down at 57. I wish we could see him against Richards or Cruz today.

I'll agree that so far he doesn't look himself at 57. Somehow it's like he lost too much weight. Sucked down, but also small. Weird. But he's going to Paris baby! Maybe Spencer can join him.

Reactions: danoftw
Richards loses on a late (and correct) challenge by Darian Cruz's corner 2-2 on criterea. USA with a BAD day.
he should have challenged the possible 2 for the tilt during that exchange at the end. Too bad they didn't run the clock back to the step out after the challenge won

Get Spencer wasn't eligible but not sure why Gilman didn't challenge Zane for the qualifier.

Reactions: js8793
Get Spencer wasn't eligible but not sure why Gilman didn't challenge Zane for the qualifier.
Should have known this would happen as soon as Gilman decided not to show up at the wrestle off but still ran his mouth on twitter about yianni. Brought down a lot of bad juju on himself and nick.

There's no sugarcoating it, 65K is in a bad situation. Qualifying out of Pan Ams is always what you want. Something was off with Nick today (easy to say when your guy loses but I think anyone who's watched him/saw him today would agree) and it couldn't have happened at a worse time.
Punia was training with the NLWC a few weeks ago, I sat right beside him at the Indiana match.

The India 57kg guy was also there but I can't remember his name.

Last edited:
Ok, I’m not well versed on these types of tournaments. Is Nick done or does he still have a shot?

Ok, I’m not well versed on these types of tournaments. Is Nick done or does he still have a shot?
The only prize at this tourney was to win a semifinal and qualify your country at your weight for the Olympics. Since Nick lost his quarterfinal, his day and tourney is done.

Reactions: Ruby Tues

If he's good enough to qualify he will, if not, he won't.

Who could have thought sending guys with inferior international track records could yield dire results for the US?

Nauseating day.

You're at your passive-aggressive best tonight.

What do you mean by "sending" guys? Lee and Richards earned the right on the mats. They were not just random guys the USA "sent". Based on the qualification criteria, they were the best we had.

We get a new start at OTT in April. if the winners are medal contenders, they should also be able to nab one of the 3 spots at the world qualifier.

World Qualification Tournament May 9–12, 2024 Turkey Istanbul, Turkey[5]
Qualification

Phase 3: 2024 World Qualification Tournament

The last 54 quotas will be decided at the 2024 World Qualification Tournament. The two highest-ranked athletes in each of the 18 Olympic weight categories will obtain one quota place each for their NOC. In addition, a bout will be organised between the two third-placed athletes and the winner of that bout will also obtain one quota place for his/her NOC.
Hearing it will probably be moved from Turkey and be in a different Mediterranean country

• Wow
Reactions: Str8DBLz
Maybe not.

A pity no one challenged Richards. Seems like a fair system.

Agree. I have no problems with the current system.

Let's recap:

Any wrestler can attempt to make a World team each year. Richards had to win the US Open, then beat an Olympic bronze medalist in a best-of-three to make the World team. No easy task.

Since he didn't secure an Olympic quota by placing at Worlds, the system now allows others to challenge for the spot at the next Olympic qualifier(Pan Ams).

3 former/current World medalists could have challenged for that spot. They all declined.

Richards doesn't get the Olympic quota, so system now sends winner of OTTs to the final OQ.

Every step of the way gives opportunities for wrestlers to be the "one" to try and qualify the weight.

Zane and Nick were both fine representatives, they didn't wrestle well unfortunately. Nick pinned Gomez last time they wrestled, I think most would take him over McNeil as well.

Zane was 3-0 against Cruz. Nobody would be having this conversation about an unfair system if they both got it done, they didn't and suddenly our system is flawed.

People are acting like Team USA just drew names out of a hat and said best of luck!

Should have known this would happen as soon as Gilman decided not to show up at the wrestle off but still ran his mouth on twitter about yianni. Brought down a lot of bad juju on himself and nick.
So it’s an Iowa guy’s fault?

schitts creek agree GIF by CBC

Reactions: AgSurfer and Ski
Zane and Nick were both fine representatives, they didn't wrestle well unfortunately. Nick pinned Gomez last time they wrestled, I think most would take him over McNeil as well.

Zane was 3-0 against Cruz. Nobody would be having this conversation about an unfair system if they both got it done, they didn't and suddenly our system is flawed.

People are acting like Team USA just drew names out of a hat and said best of luck!
I hope nobody is advocating for the Russian system, where the sport's officials send whoever they want to international competition regardless of who won the national tournament.

Reactions: vhsalum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT