ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Rutgers Dual Thread

Nolf getting hurt sucks. I watch/care about wrestling way too much. I woke up this morning still extremely bothered by it, and frankly it really dampens my interest in the entire NCAA tournament if it is Nolfless. I don't think I'm alone in counting the days/hours between Nolf matches. I will simply wait for news and pray for his health. I thought Mark Hall wrestled like a man possessed, so that doesn't fit the flat narrative very well. Cenzo did look a little bit flat and so did Bo, but how could an injury to a best buddy who you know does everything the right way not slow your adrenaline just a tad bit. I am much more worried about this for Jason himself and my selfish desire to watch him compete than a team standpoint. I hate Rutgers.
ditto with everything except the hating Ru part.

This. We were all frustrated and angry right along with Zain, because he didn't get a chance to give him the Amine treatment. So, we comfort ourselves, knowing Nolf is up next. Then. Disaster. It's natural to be so pissed off, even if Van Brill wrestled clean. Natural for the coaches to yell at the ref too. Heck, they might even have done it intentionally to release some of the steam on the bench and keep the team focused on wrestling.

RU & NJ, with their emotive, romantic Italian roots (and a "never New York" inferiority complex) is such a classic foil for PA's Germans and Scotch-Irish, where work ethic and team-over-self ethos tends to dominate. We'll never like each other. If only they were more competitive in athletics, it would be a great rivalry....

Eh. I'm not sure I'd go so far as embracing these stereotypes. PA is loaded with Italian Americans, myself included, who in no way found anything that Rutgers did on Sunday to be remotely acceptable or representative of Italian Roots. I think a more reasonable comparison would be to say that each team reflects the leadership style and influence of their coaches. Cael is understated and 100% class. After Sunday I'm not sure what Goodale is, because IMO he was behind the tactics that multiple wrestlers employed in an attempt to bully their far superior opponents.

Eh. I'm not sure I'd go so far as embracing these stereotypes. PA is loaded with Italian Americans, myself included, who in no way found anything that Rutgers did on Sunday to be remotely acceptable or representative of Italian Roots. I think a more reasonable comparison would be to say that each team reflects the leadership style and influence of their coaches. Cael is understated and 100% class. After Sunday I'm not sure what Goodale is, because IMO he was behind the tactics that multiple wrestlers employed in an attempt to bully their far superior opponents.
Ultimately it is up to the referee to control the match and put an end to the excessive slaps to the face and clubbing the back of the head on the tie-ups. He didn't. In Zain's match, after penalizing DeLuca 2 points, DeLuca immediately takes a big swipe at Zain's head, nothing done, should have disqualified him at that point.

Sorry if I offended you--I'm not trying to say one is better than the other--I'm just speaking in general terms. I love the regionalism of our country, and like to dissect what makes certain things tick. We're losing a lot of it over time, but there are still mores that persist. I'm certainly not saying all Italians are Rutgers fans, much less punks like Deluca and Lewis.

It's not so much who your ancestors are, as what sort of beliefs, attitudes, and traditions your parents/grandparents instilled in you. New Jersey is a big, and sorta diverse state. But there is a dominant culture, I'd say, even now. And the worst parts of that dominant culture seemed to be on display yesterday.

Last edited:
To answer Chickenman from a page back. The visible pop I would explain one of two ways. If a the tibial motion is rotatory and the meniscus tears, the femur falls into the defect as the meniscus displaces and the pop is that the bones get closer together. This would likely mean a large peripheral tear that could require a repair with a 3-6 month recovery. A small peripheral tear would have a much smaller recovery time if it only required some trimming.

The second possibility, after watching a few more times, is the the motion of the tibia was posterior (toward the back), which would likely mean a PCL tear. This would likely require reconstruction in an athlete of this age. The question would be whether he could wrestle out the season and then do it or do it now depending on functional capacity of the knee and pain levels, similar to what Lee did for the end of his high school schedule.

Sorry if I offended you--I'm not trying to say one is better than the other--I'm just speaking in general terms. I love the regionalism of our country, and like to dissect what makes certain things tick. We're losing a lot of it over time, but there are still mores that persist. I'm certainly not saying all Italians are Rutgers fans, much less punks like Deluca and Lewis.

It's not so much who your ancestors are, as what sort of beliefs, attitudes, and traditions your parents/grandparents instilled in you. New Jersey is a big, and sorta diverse state. But there is a dominant culture, I'd say, even now. And the worst parts of that dominant culture seemed to be on display yesterday.

JMO but I think the worst part of their coach was what was on display yesterday. Ultimately he sets the tone for how the team will wrestle. If it were just one guy being overly aggressive with the head slaps and questionable holds you could make the argument that it was an individual problem. This activity permeated the entire dual. It continued onto Twitter with more boorish behavior. Goodale is scum in my book until proven otherwise.

JMO but I think the worst part of their coach was what was on display yesterday. Ultimately he sets the tone for how the team will wrestle. If it were just one guy being overly aggressive with the head slaps and questionable holds you could make the argument that it was an individual problem. This activity permeated the entire dual. It continued onto Twitter with more boorish behavior. Goodale is scum in my book until proven otherwise.

This. All falls on the coach

I actually stopped watching the dual mid-way into 165. Just couldn't enjoy it. So I can't talk about the conduct of the bottom half of their lineup. And I totally agree that responsibility for this behavior stops with the head of the program. My point (to labor it a bit perhaps), is that Cael is a great fit for PSU, and Goodale is probably at least a marginally representative one for RU.

Reactions: diggerpup
After seeing the twitter posts of the RU coach and wrestlers it's apparent their behavior was/is coached. Question does RU have to be on the schedule? They should feel grateful to get a match against a team of this caliber but it's obvious they don't. Why would Cael put his wrestlers on the mat against bush league thugs? The Twitter post from Bo really sinks in just how nasty it was yesterday Which of course he's correct that's not what wrestling is about.

Reactions: dsites52
To answer Chickenman from a page back. The visible pop I would explain one of two ways. If a the tibial motion is rotatory and the meniscus tears, the femur falls into the defect as the meniscus displaces and the pop is that the bones get closer together. This would likely mean a large peripheral tear that could require a repair with a 3-6 month recovery. A small peripheral tear would have a much smaller recovery time if it only required some trimming.

The second possibility, after watching a few more times, is the the motion of the tibia was posterior (toward the back), which would likely mean a PCL tear. This would likely require reconstruction in an athlete of this age. The question would be whether he could wrestle out the season and then do it or do it now depending on functional capacity of the knee and pain levels, similar to what Lee did for the end of his high school schedule.
Thank you. Much appreciated. I have 3 knee ops - nothing too major, so have a more than layman’s interest in (and knowledge of) the knee joint. Nice to get some additional color.

This. We were all frustrated and angry right along with Zain, because he didn't get a chance to give him the Amine treatment. So, we comfort ourselves, knowing Nolf is up next. Then. Disaster. It's natural to be so pissed off, even if Van Brill wrestled clean. Natural for the coaches to yell at the ref too. Heck, they might even have done it intentionally to release some of the steam on the bench and keep the team focused on wrestling.

RU & NJ, with their emotive, romantic Italian roots (and a "never New York" inferiority complex) is such a classic foil for PA's Germans and Scotch-Irish, where work ethic and team-over-self ethos tends to dominate. We'll never like each other. If only they were more competitive in athletics, it would be a great rivalry....
Anyone have a video link to this? I really want to see what DeLuca did.

This. All falls on the coach
The coach sets the tone for how his athletes behave and play. It is up to the referee to control the game/match. No doubt Goodale needs to clean up his approach, however, the ref yesterday should have put a stop to the non-sense and did not.

We saw yesterday the effect the home crowd has on officiating, they are hesitant to punish the home team. Happens in every sport.

The coach sets the tone for how his athletes behave and play. It is up to the referee to control the game/match. No doubt Goodale needs to clean up his approach, however, the ref yesterday should have put a stop to the non-sense and did not.

We saw yesterday the effect the home crowd has on officiating, they are hesitant to punish the home team. Happens in every sport.

true

lets say it starts with the coach (bigger issue with him) and ends with the ref...

Anyone have a video link to this? I really want to see what DeLuca did.

Only on BTN as far as I know. Think Borroughs vs. Dake last year during trials, minus the part where Borroughs actually wrestled.

Oh, I don't know...Maybe it's because we had JUST WATCHED Zain Retherford treated like a punching bag, instead of a wrestling competitor?
I thought the Rutgers kid at 157 gave Nolf's ankle a twist thereby stressing the knee, kind of like twisting one end of a piece of metal held in a vise; that was the immediate cause of the injury...I suppose that could be considered just part of the scramble, which could have/should have been called a stalemate

but, yeah, the mauling at 149 was egregious, which should have raised alarms for subsequent matches

Was it ever officially determined why / what PSU bench earned the penalty point about ?

Not calling the Nolf potentially dangerous ? Or ref not controlling the MMA fight that broke out ?

Rutgers is just a shit wrestling team with big pretensions. If I counted correctly, they had 4 takedowns outside of Suriano for the entire match. One of those was by Delvecchio at the very end of the match when Keener tried a desperation move; another was Gravina's very challengeable one (I think he failed to cover the second leg). So they had two legit takedowns in 8+ matches, one against Nolf, who routinely gives up takedowns to less opponents. Bill G. said it was the best they wrestled all year - which is just sad and a real reflection on how bad their team is - 2 legit takedowns in 8+ matches.

Reactions: JBott
If I'm not on Twitter, how can I see the Bo and Lewis tweets being discussed?
This thread has most of the juicy bits. I think you can click through on those embedded tweets without an account if you want to see the replies--but standard warnings about the inanity of social media commenting apply....

Just rewatched Zains match, 22 Clubs to the head. Watched the rewind of the Nolf match and yes Van Brill positively torqued the knee. Gravina headbutted Bo 7 times in the first two perionds. Dirty, I say absolutely, however, the official let it get out of control.

Wanted to stop by and say how much it sucks that Nolf got hurt. Hopefully, it is not a tear. I don't think it was intentional but these kids put themselves in such bad positions. Kemerer bends that leg as well when guys are on low on a single. At our meet against tOSU, so many of our knees were getting cranked and in bad positions and the ref doesn't blow the whistle. My Dad watched the Minne meet and asked who the hell is the whirling dervish kid for Penn State who was so quick the other guy didn't know what the f*ck hit him. Automatically, I know he's talking about Nolf.
Watched your match w/OSU and saw exactly what you post, exactly. Wondered why the ref allowed that to continue so long and also how there were not injuries. What happened to Nolf appeared to be an accident but if the ref was in control of an obviously emotional match, on one side anyway, he observed from previous matches the extreme effort extended and dangerous holds should have been halted quickly, as in any match.

Reactions: IAChief32
Just rewatched Zains match, 22 Clubs to the head. Watched the rewind of the Nolf match and yes Van Brill positively torqued the knee. Gravina headbutted Bo 7 times in the first two perionds. Dirty, I say absolutely, however, the official let it get out of control.

Footage from Zain's Go Pro:

tJosj5a.gif

The second possibility, after watching a few more times, is the the motion of the tibia was posterior (toward the back), which would likely mean a PCL tear. This would likely require reconstruction in an athlete of this age. The question would be whether he could wrestle out the season and then do it or do it now depending on functional capacity of the knee and pain levels, similar to what Lee did for the end of his high school schedule.[/QUOTE I had a meniscus tear and had arthroscopic surgery to repair it (trimming). It was immobilized for about a week but I ran a 5-mile race 17 days after surgery. Original injury was so painful I could hardly stand it.

I'm also worried about the PCL for the reasons you mentioned. A PCL injury most often occurs when a force is applied to the anterior aspect of the proximal tibia when the knee is flexed. Hyperextension and rotational or varus/valgus stress mechanisms also may be responsible for PCL tears. The most common way a PCL tear occurs outside of sports is in a car accident when your knee/shin hits the dashboard.

Here, Nolf's knee was flexed, force was being applied to the tibia via the hold on the ankle, and Nolf was forcing his femur forward over the flexed tibia. There was also rotational force being applied via the knee being crossed in front of Nolf's body and the opposing forces of Nolf trying to get up and his opponent holding the shin/ankle against himself.

Another concerning aspect for a PCL injury is that when Nolf is pulling back after the stoppage, it looks like his lower leg is sagging back compared to his femur, which would mean the PCL has torn, allowing the lower leg to move backwards. It also looked like a posterior drawer sign test was being performed by the trainer/doc (bend the knee, push back on the shin and see if there is laxity.. as opposed to the anterior drawer sign for an ACL where they bend the knee and pull forward on the shin to see if there is laxity in that direction).

Finally, there was a post on twitter last night from some woman named Lu Ann Dalessio (https://twitter.com/LuAnnDalessio) saying that Nolf possibly tore his PCL and has a doctor's appointment at 8am this morning. She has since deleted the tweet

However, if you look at her profile, her last tweet was in 3/2017 and also about Nolf. She follows 5 accounts, 4 of those are B1Gwrestling, Flowrestling, Penn State Wrestling, and Samantha Nolf. I did some googling for a Lu Ann Dalessio and a woman by that name works on the Indiana County Municipal Services Authority.. a half hour drive from Nolf's hometown of Yatesboro. (https://www.prwa.com/people/icmsaluann)

Here is a screen grab of the tweet preview from a text message i sent last night when the tweet was still up.

If it's a PCL, theres no way he's wrestling this year, IMO.

If you guys really want to know the answer, everyone needs to start tweeting at @ProFootballDoc with links to the video (you can use this Christian Pyles tweet for a link to the video) It would also be helpful to send videos of the trainer examining Nolf and Nolf trying to walk. We already have the opinion of a Duke Professor/Orthopedic Surgeon in Dr. Selene Parekh, but he only saw the initial video that CP tweeted, and not the exam, etc. One other thing that points to the patella is that you can see the trainer feeling the right patella and comparing it to the left when he examines Nolf. However, I'm worried that if it is the patella, its a torn patellar tendon, not a dislocated patella. In my opinion you can pretty clearly see the trainer say to Cael 2x "it's torn" after Nolf stands up. In addition, it looks like Cody says "it's torn" when Nolf is still on the ground being examined.

Last edited:
This thread has most of the juicy bits. I think you can click through on those embedded tweets without an account if you want to see the replies--but standard warnings about the inanity of social media commenting apply....
Thanks nerfstate. I'm dumber for having read it, but you did warn me. Thanks.

Regarding Nolf injury - leave the heavier of Cassar and Rasheed at 197 - lighter guy drops and all others in the lineup down to 157 drop one weight ..........:rolleyes: jk

Have you ever met Mark Hall? He is smaller than plenty of guys at 157.

Rutgers is just a shit wrestling team with big pretensions. If I counted correctly, they had 4 takedowns outside of Suriano for the entire match. One of those was by Delvecchio at the very end of the match when Keener tried a desperation move; another was Gravina's very challengeable one (I think he failed to cover the second leg). So they had two legit takedowns in 8+ matches, one against Nolf, who routinely gives up takedowns to less opponents. Bill G. said it was the best they wrestled all year - which is just sad and a real reflection on how bad their team is - 2 legit takedowns in 8+ matches.
think this is how you'll see our guys wrestled(minus the thuggery) from here on out. guys simply will not engage. lots of back peddling, circling, but not shooting. waiting for our guys, who are aggressive, to make a mistake. very hard to bonus when officials will not make the opponents wrestle.

Reactions: royboy and JBott
The goal is to peak in March, not in a dual against Rutgers. The boys looked a bit tired but have likely been working hard all week so that's expected. Plus defending against a go ahead TD in the last 30 seconds isn't a bad skills to work on during the season!

The goal is to peak in March, not in a dual against Rutgers. The boys looked a bit tired but have likely been working hard all week so that's expected. Plus defending against a go ahead TD in the last 30 seconds isn't a bad skills to work on during the season!

I don't know. It seems that the goal was to beat Rutgers. Now are season is complete because moral victories are all the really matter.

Reactions: Offside Clyde
I haven’t watched the dual yet. Did the TV announcers have any harsh comments on the Rutgers wrestlers/coach regarding their poor sportsmanship?
They had comments, but I would characterize them as "mild comments"

And, just my opinion, but Shane Sparks, the primary announcer, is almost unlistenable.
A virtual Dick Vitale, will not shut up. I'd say he should switch to de-caf, but too late for that.

RU & NJ, with their emotive, romantic Italian roots (and a "never New York" inferiority complex) is such a classic foil for PA's Germans and Scotch-Irish, where work ethic and team-over-self ethos tends to dominate. We'll never like each other. If only they were more competitive in athletics, it would be a great rivalry....[/QUOTE

Coach talked again at tonight's Radio Show, about the referee's calling the hands to the face (being generous here) more. Even made the comment that some of what he sees is not wrestling. 2nd time he's addressed it.

Coach talked again at tonight's Radio Show, about the referee's calling the hands to the face (being generous here) more. Even made the comment that some of what he sees is not wrestling. 2nd time he's addressed it.
Is this somthing that can/will be addressed to the conference or NCAAs? I know they can't control an individual wrestler, but the official was out of his league and let things escalate...

Reactions: nitlion6
Roar, in one of my high school wrestling matches against your alma mater (big dual), the other wrestler and I each exchanged one nice Rutgers type hand to the face. When I did mine, it was retaliatory, the ref immediately stopped the match, and made it quite clear the next one of us to do it again would not be wrestling the rest of the night. No problems the rest of the night.

That is how you handle it. When DeLuca was penalized for the two points, and then immediately took the big swipe at Zain again, the ref should have immediately DQ him. That would have put a stop to it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT