ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Rutgers Dual Thread

Is this somthing that can/will be addressed to the conference or NCAAs? I know they can't control an individual wrestler, but the official was out of his league and let things escalate...

Cael explained it last night, and I thought his comments cut Chatman some slack. Much more than our fans overall have.

Mentioned it several times, I believe last night's show is a good listen...and the comments about the Rutgers Match, and refereeing in general, are worth it.

That said, here's one man's opinion...I would be shocked if the Penn State staff hasn't reached out to Mike Allen, head B1G Wrestling Ref/Coordinator of Referees. They want it on the radar, AND want to know how it'll be called (hands/slaps to the face) in the post-season. Mike Allen communicates upward to Tim Shiels, NCAA Coordinator of Officials, and Cael also could contact Tim. Again, I suspect there is appropriate discussions already started.

Reactions: PSUer1989
Roar, in one of my high school wrestling matches against your alma mater (big dual), the other wrestler and I each exchanged one nice Rutgers type hand to the face. When I did mine, it was retaliatory, the ref immediately stopped the match, and made it quite clear the next one of us to do it again would not be wrestling the rest of the night. No problems the rest of the night.

That is how you handle it. When DeLuca was penalized for the two points, and then immediately took the big swipe at Zain again, the ref should have immediately DQ him. That would have put a stop to it.
Did I say something that opposed that thought? Just want others to listen to Cael's comments. If I did have a thought about it...Nate should have started earlier with his warning, and firmer (assuming he was not). Changes the whole dynamic. I guess it could have gone DQ...sort of like Short's stalling on Friday night (1 call short of DQ'ing there too). Either way, moving on...with confidence it's being discussed, and will be cleaned up.

Last edited:
Cael has typically been publicly gracious toward the individual refs and saved his criticism for the rules and refereeing process.

His comment yesterday about the head slaps being a "stalling tactic" and should be called as such, tells us what he is conveying to Allen and Shiels.

IMO he may also ask about referee position during scrambles. The ref might have had an obstructed view of Jason's knee and foot.

... Mentioned it several times, I believe last night's show is a good listen...and the comments about the Rutgers Match, and refereeing in general, are worth it....

Just listened. I agree--I thought this week's show was one of the better ones I've heard. Really liked the Yarigin/RTC discussion too. I also feel like his comments regarding Nolf's injury "felt" different than similar comments about NS last year: You can often tell when CS is turning his media filter on, and a couple of tells during the interview yesterday seemed to indicate relief before the filter kicked in.

Reactions: diggerpup
Just thought of something after reading nerfstate's post just above... I talked with Jon Gingrich's mom recently, and Pitt now has a Regional Training Center. Only two wrestlers, as I write this, one lightweight, and one heavyweight (Jon), but that's a start. Never understood why they didn't have one before, as it's a recruiting tool...among other things.

Just thought of something after reading nerfstate's post just above... I talked with Jon Gingrich's mom recently, and Pitt now has a Regional Training Center. Only two wrestlers, as I write this, one lightweight, and one heavyweight (Jon), but that's a start. Never understood why they didn't have one before, as it's a recruiting tool...among other things.

Is Jon not an assistant coach at Brown any more?

Also, just re-watched the Zain match and the penalty sequence for unnecessary roughness is 1, 1, 2, DQ. The first 3 were called by the ref in the 2nd period. There were multiple open hand clubs to head by DeLuca and one blatant hand/fingers to the face in the 3rd that should have been called. The ref really let that match get away from him. However, it didn't seem to faze Zain in the least.

Also, just re-watched the Zain match and the penalty sequence for unnecessary roughness is 1, 1, 2, DQ. The first 3 were called by the ref in the 2nd period. There were multiple open hand clubs to head by DeLuca and one blatant hand/fingers to the face in the 3rd that should have been called. The ref really let that match get away from him. However, it didn't seem to faze Zain in the least.
The Brown stint was one year. Jon is now working in Pittsburgh, and a Resident Athlete on the Pitt RTC.

It most certainly did faze Zain. Without the slapping....stalling....it would have been a TF or a pin. There is no question about it. Even a wrestler like Zain has to step back when taking illegal shots to the head and eyes.

Chapman basically allowed it.

Hope he draws him in Bigs and lays the wood because he will.

Hope he draws him in Bigs and lays the wood because he will.
DeLuca wants no part of Zain at B10s or nationals. He will say he does, and might even think it ... but Zain will make him understand that he really, really doesn't.

For that matter, pretty obvious he wanted no part of Zain in the dual.

Reactions: PSUer1989
DeLuca wants no part of Zain at B10s or nationals. He will say he does, and might even think it ... but Zain will make him understand that he really, really doesn't.

For that matter, pretty obvious he wanted no part of Zain in the dual.
Prediction for the rematch, Clubber Lang "Pain"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT