ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Purdue Match Thread

Cody Sanderson on the postgame

Biggest concern is RBY. What did you see?
- great, Cody's mic isn't on, and then the audio goes silent. This isn't rocket science, folks

I saw RBY standing in the background during a couple of shots of the bench. So I would assume if it was bad-bad he would have been off it. That said this interview is kinda important to the interwebs......WTF.....they cut it off.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Forfeit RBY vs Indiana just as a precaution.

Perhaps they will. I suspect it will depend on their diagnosis, and also how the knee is on Saturday and on Sunday.

Byers mentioned on the audio PBP that Brody Teske was on the trip. It's possible they could pull his 'shirt for the match. To me, that would be a huge waste. PSU can win the match even if they forfeit 133.

PSU probably took the max number of travelers for the Indiana trip. I don't think they are permitted to pay to have another wrestler join them, but I'm not certain of that.

Perhaps they will. I suspect it will depend on their diagnosis, and also how the knee is on Saturday and on Sunday.

Byers mentioned on the audio PBP that Brody Teske was on the trip. It's possible they could pull his 'shirt for the match. To me, that would be a huge waste. PSU can win the match even if they forfeit 133.

PSU probably took the max number of travelers for the Indiana trip. I don't think they are permitted to pay to have another wrestler join them, but I'm not certain of that.

If he even has a mid level sprain, I would not wrestle him Sunday or next week. He isn't going to win against Michigan anyway. Try to be ready for Pletcher on February 8.

I watched the Mic.vsOSU meet and feel we will he our hands full for both meets. We WILL HAVE TO BE AT OUR BEST IN BOTH MEETS.WOW that is what it is all about.

Reactions: tomsc
I watched the Mic.vsOSU meet and feel we will he our hands full for both meets. We WILL HAVE TO BE AT OUR BEST IN BOTH MEETS.WOW that is what it is all about.

I agree. And, that makes it very compelling. I know how much fun the OSU match was last year. And I heard as much from people who do not normally watch wrestling.

I expect both Michigan and OSU to be huge (and fun) challenges to keep the win streak alive.

As spectacular as the first edition was some time ago, I hope we have seen the last of the flip from the single leg.

I said to myself at the time " how did RBY do that flip without tweaking a knee". I hate it when those thoughts prove prophetic.

You could see his foot get caught on the head. It could have been a lot worse. There is too much downside in that move to return to the well. One highlight is enough.

We just returned from the match.
Two observations:
1. RBY looked too casual and gave up the leg, then tried the cartwheel and hurt his knee in the first period. Then, winced in pain in the third. I kept my eye on him afterwards to see what I could. He was standing and watching the last few matches, then walked the line shaking Purdue hands. He walked with a very slight limp. My guess is that the injury is not serious, but he probably will not wrestle at Indiana. Our medical people tend to quite cautious about these things.
2. This was the first match where Cassar appeared bigger than his opponent. No matter, he is quicker than the other heavyweights.

Two observations:
1. RBY looked too casual and gave up the leg, then tried the cartwheel and hurt his knee in the first period. Then, winced in pain in the third. I kept my eye on him afterwards to see what I could. He was standing and watching the last few matches, then walked the line shaking Purdue hands. He walked with a very slight limp. My guess is that the injury is not serious, but he probably will not wrestle at Indiana. Our medical people tend to quite cautious about these things.
2. This was the first match where Cassar appeared bigger than his opponent. No matter, he is quicker than the other heavyweights.

-- appreciate the in-person observations on RBY, and his knee

-- Byers mentioned that Cassar had a 17 lbs weight advantage on Aven. I didn't get Aven's exact weight, but I believe the two heavies weighed in at 231.9 (Cassar), and 214.X (Aven).

Two observations:
I second Tom’s thanks for the report. Let’s hope it was more of a scare. I’ve done things that have really hurt in the moment, but end up being minor.

But let’s hope RBY shelves the Kolat unless he needs it late in the NCAA finals

All about the matchups in a dual. tOSU was always set up to be 5-5 split, with us winning with bonus and a shot to take 133 from them. With RBY out I still like our 5/5 split with bonus, but if he still out for this duel it becomes much closer. Will our guysat 157, 165, 174, 197 and HWT get more bonus then the 5 weights they favored? I think so..

I don’t see Michigan as close even without RBY. We take 141,149, 157, 165, 174, 184, 197 and HWT

RBY was the underdog in both matches on paper so didn’t really impact these duals.

All about the matchups in a dual. tOSU was always set up to be 5-5 split, with us winning with bonus and a shot to take 133 from them. With RBY out I still like our 5/5 split with bonus, but if he still out for this duel it becomes much closer. Will our guysat 157, 165, 174, 197 and HWT get more bonus then the 5 weights they favored? I think so..

I don’t see Michigan as close even without RBY. We take 141,149, 157, 165, 174, 184, 197 and HWT

RBY was the underdog in both matches on paper so didn’t really impact these duals.
Pletcher will probably get bonus if RBY can't go.

Yes, I know, Pletcher. Not happening against RBY, but he is getting bonus against backups this year unlike the past.

Reactions: diggerpup
Cael recently talked in one of the radio shows about how many can travel. I don’t really remember the numbers but I think it was 13 for a single match or 15 for 2 in a trip. He stated he needs to balance backups as well as workout partners.
Interesting to know who travelled this weekend. If there was Jack Davis that could be out out to wrestle.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I watched the BTN+ replay last night so I just listened to the Purdue students. I think they did a pretty good job. Knew wrestling fairly well and were honest. Not bad... though I did miss JB.

Cael recently talked in one of the radio shows about how many can travel. I don’t really remember the numbers but I think it was 13 for a single match or 15 for 2 in a trip. He stated he needs to balance backups as well as workout partners.
Interesting to know who travelled this weekend. If there was Jack Davis that could be out out to wrestle.
Your numbers are correct. Add, taking wrestlers for the experience, and recognition for their hard work too.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Your numbers are correct. Add, taking wrestlers for the experience, and recognition for their hard work too.

You are exactly correct, of course. Those reasons are probably more important because, hopefully, we never need an injury fill in.... at least in a perfect Blue and White world.

I believe Byers said Teske was the only lightweight along as a work out partner for Schnupp and RBY. Nobody else capable of filling in at 133. He indicated a likely forefit if RBY cant go.

My observations from last night. I sat with several of our wrestlers parents. We all know how great the PSU wrestlers are (off and on the mat) and I see why, their parents are awesome people. I sat next to Devin Schnupp's Mom and Dad and wow are they good people. I also sat near and talking to Nick Lee's Dad (Indiana wrestling families stick together) and the Nolf's. All are great people and support their kids.

As for RBY, he sat in the back for several matches after his and stretched his legs. As mentioned, he was up and walking around the final few matches. I didn't notice much of a limp after the match.

The first 4 matches, all of the Purdue wrestlers got to our kids legs first.

All of our wrestlers signed autographs and posed for pictures with many kids from both Purdue and Penn State before and after the match.

Last edited:
I watched the BTN+ replay last night so I just listened to the Purdue students. I think they did a pretty good job. Knew wrestling fairly well and were honest. Not bad... though I did miss JB.

I thought the same. They were knowledgeable and gave credit and some background to both sides. On a BTN+ relative basis they were outstanding.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT