ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Purdue Match Thread

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
Please use this thread for pre-match, in-match, and post-match discussion about the match. If responding to another post, please use the quote function.

We Are ...

looking forward to a good weekend of wrestling in Indiana

... Penn State!!!

When: 1/25, @ 7 pm EST

Where: @ Purdue

TV: none

Video Streaming: BTN+ and FloPro for those that have subscriptions to the aforementioned

Audio Streaming: Ironhead will be providing radio PBP for the match, and it will be streamed for free via LionVision, at:

https://gopsusports.com/watch/?Live=241

The pre-match show starts at 6:40 pm EST

I should be good to provide PBP of the matches in the thread, but others are encouraged to add their comments, thoughts, PBP, etc. If my plans change, I'll make a post indicating as much.

It's often interesting to see how other programs are handling a PSU match. Here's what Purdue is doing:

- admission is free
- they are giving out Purdue Wrestling roller banners to all attendees
- the Purdue team is conducting an autograph session after the conclusion of the dual

On Sunday, before they host Rutgers @ 1 pm, the Purdue wrestling coaching staff is staging a 1-hour clinic for 8th graders and younger, from 11:30 am - 12:30 pm EST.

It's often interesting to see how other programs are handling a PSU match. Here's what Purdue is doing:

- admission is free
- they are giving out Purdue Wrestling roller banners to all attendees
- the Purdue team is conducting an autograph session after the conclusion of the dual

On Sunday, before they host Rutgers @ 1 pm, the Purdue wrestling coaching staff is staging a 1-hour clinic for 8th graders and younger, from 11:30 am - 12:30 pm EST.
That's awesome -- particularly the part about hosting a clinic for the kids. THIS is one of the many ways, but probably one of the most important ones, we grow the sport.

RBY needs to shelve that someersault/flip move. Tried it on Thornton who never let go and got the takedown. RBY calls for injury timeout on the way back down before he hit the mat.

Reactions: diggerpup
Every year with this injury crap. Seems impossible to get 10 kids through a season.

133: RBY vs. Ben Thornton

Per 1
Thornton gets in on the leg, and elevates it. RBY tried to flip out of the hold, but got taken to the mat, 0-2. Injury stoppage for RBY. Seems to be an issue with the right knee. Thornton takes bottom for the restart, and is out quickly, 0-3. Thornton shoots, is blocked, then RBY with a counter and Thornton sprawls, nothing. RBY tries a shot, then another, both blocked. End.

Per 2
Thornton takes bottom. He's up and out quickly, 0-4. RBY in, gets behind, can't quite get him down, then Thornton with a counter and gets a leg, they scramble, RBY gets an ankle, Thornton breaks it, then Thornton gets behind and trips RBY down for the TD, 0-6.

Per 3
RBY takes bottom. He's to his feet, does a shoulder roll, then Thornton dives on the leg and keeps control. RBY to his feet, tripped back down, and OOB with 1:26 left. Shoulder roll by RBY and he gets the esc, 1-6. 1 min left. To much tie-ups for this deficit. RBY tries a duck, blocked, then RBY gets a throw-by for a TD, 3-6. Then he cuts him, 3-7. Thornton is fleeing him. RBY goes to his knee in agony, and Thornton ties him up till the buzzer. Damn. Hope the knee was just tweaked.

0-6, Purdue

Geez, he tries to jump over the top of a standing Ben Thornton and hurts himself again. Fortunately right near the end of the match.

I’m sure I’m being a homer, but I think Nick is close. In flashes he looks like a guy that can make a run to the semis. He just need to put it together or have a bracket fall apart in front of him.

141: Nick Lee vs. Nate Limmex

Per 1
Limmex in on a single, has his head inside, Lee sprawls, and a stalemate with 1:50 left. Lee spins around and gets the TD, 2-0. Limmex out quickly, 2-1. Lee in on a double and gets the TD, 4-1. He cuts him, 4-2. Stall warning on Limmex. Stalemate with 29 sec. Lee in on another double and gets the TD, 6-2. End. RT @ 38 sec for Lee

Per 2
Lee defers, and Limmex takes bottom. Lee flattens him, and works for an arm bar. Limmex not doing anything. Lee is cranking on the arm. Lee switches to the other side, and gets 4 NF, 10-2. Lee throws in the boots. Rideout. RT @ 2:38 for Lee

Per 3
Leet takes bottom. He stands, tries to sit out, nothing, stands again, and peels out, 11-2. Lee shoots, blocked. Hands to the face against Limmex makes it 12-2. Lee trips Limmex to the mat on the restart, 14-2. He cuts him, 14-3. Lee in again, they scramble, Limmex hanging on to the thigh, and a stalemate with 46 sec left. RT is locked. Lee in on a single, Limmex tries to stave it off but Lee with the TD, 16-3. They Lee cuts him, 16-4. Late TD for Limmex. With the RT, it's a 17-6 Major for Lee

I’m sure I’m being a homer, but I think Nick is close. In flashes he looks like a guy that can make a run to the semis. He just need to put it together or have a bracket fall apart in front of him.

He really just needs to clean up his single finish a bit

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT