ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - NW Match Thread

Is a fan calling stalling kinda the same thing as a citizen's arrest?
I was at this year's Scuffle, and a UTC fan was shouting "stalling" very loudly and sure enough the ref called stalling right away on the UTC opponent. All the fans in the area turned to the shouting fan and congratulated him on earning the win (it was point that led to overtime and eventual win for UTC wrestler)! He felt like he'd earned the win too!!!

That was the Goa slap off where the loser went to my weight class.
Real life. Powerhouse Fleetwood. No youth program. Sometime in early Nov. coach and guys on team would look for guys who were the size they needed and try to recruit. We won 2 matches a year, Halifax and Twin Valley, but the seniors picked WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS as our music to run out and warm up. We wore the basketball teams old warm ups, the wool like baggy pants with the jacket that had a hood that unzipped and laid flat. Had a Tiger with a basketball and a number instead of our weight. Summer tournaments were 5-10 bucks and you could pad your record a little on entry form. Kutztown Golden Bear summer tourney ran into Dave Yeager from Hamburg,think 3rd in state only lost to state champ Fenstermacher from N. Lehigh.I'm wearing gym shorts,knock-off Chuck Taylors , he has singlet, Asics.Winning 3-2 late in 1st and thinking I might pull this off, he folded me in half and let me count some lights for a second before packing me. Should of ducked him.Rode my banana seat black and orange Huffy back to Fleetwood.
Cool , I wrestled for Conrad Weiser a long time ago

Got your intent, and yes, PSU success could/should continue with PA as a hotbed AND with the 3 C's in charge...but you blew it on my favorite word. I have three, and none are "infinitum".

I guess team, commitment, and resiliency

Got your intent, and yes, PSU success could/should continue with PA as a hotbed AND with the 3 C's in charge...but you blew it on my favorite word. I have three, and none are "infinitum".
I was quite impressed with your use of the Latin word.

But let's take it further... The three C's knew in the beginning it was omnium rerum principia parva sunt and that the state of the program couldn't be semper idem.

The three C's also knew that you nil desperandum and always permitte divis cetera.

That's their wrestling business model. It's Wrestling 101... Exitus Acta Probat.

I'm sure with the culling of the sheer volume of elite talent in PA (and further reaches), I have no doubt the three C's won't accept anything less going forward than infinitum... and beyond. Buzz Light Year who isn't an Iowa fan... would approve... Mike Evans.. not so much.

Do tell... what are you favorite three words? Everyone should have at least three. We could start a pre-snow thread on it.

Last edited:

But let's take it further... The three C's knew in the beginning it was omnium rerum principia parva sunt and that the state of the program couldn't be semper idem.

The three C's also knew that you nil desperandum and always permitte divis cetera.

That's their wrestling business model. It's Wrestling 101... Exitus Acta Probat.

I'm sure with the culling of the sheer volume of elite talent in PA (and further reaches), I have no doubt the three C's won't except anything less going forward than infinitum... and beyond. Buzz Light Year who isn't an Iowa fan... would approve... Mike Evans.. not so much.

Do tell... what are you favorite three words? Everyone should have at least three. We could start a pre-snow thread on it.
Color me impressed with this post...until you used "except" where "accept" should go :). And the 3 words pertain to my faith, and my family, and life in general...in addition to how I feel about our wrestling program. Let's just say we're blessed.

Wow no wonder your all alone, my favorite 3 words are ones I don’t use since they infringe on the whole free speech thing “ idiot , stop posting “

That was the Goa slap off where the loser went to my weight class.
Real life. Powerhouse Fleetwood. No youth program. Sometime in early Nov. coach and guys on team would look for guys who were the size they needed and try to recruit. We won 2 matches a year, Halifax and Twin Valley, but the seniors picked WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS as our music to run out and warm up. We wore the basketball teams old warm ups, the wool like baggy pants with the jacket that had a hood that unzipped and laid flat. Had a Tiger with a basketball and a number instead of our weight. Summer tournaments were 5-10 bucks and you could pad your record a little on entry form. Kutztown Golden Bear summer tourney ran into Dave Yeager from Hamburg,think 3rd in state only lost to state champ Fenstermacher from N. Lehigh.I'm wearing gym shorts,knock-off Chuck Taylors , he has singlet, Asics.Winning 3-2 late in 1st and thinking I might pull this off, he folded me in half and let me count some lights for a second before packing me. Should of ducked him.Rode my banana seat black and orange Huffy back to Fleetwood.

Haha Get the heck outta here! Halifax was one of the 5 matches a year I could win. They ended up taking on our grapplers once the program folded.

Reactions: danoftw

I'm sure with the culling of the sheer volume of elite talent in PA (and further reaches), I have no doubt the three C's won't except anything less going forward than infinitum... and beyond. Buzz Light Year who isn't an Iowa fan... would approve... Mike Evans.. not so much.

Simple.

Nullum gratuitum prandium.

Damn if you talking about Joe Humphries then you are old. Joe was probably 4 years ahead of me and was our school’s first state placer.
Joe is a good friend. If interested, there's a documentary at the State Theatre in State College on his life, next Friday, January 18, called "Live the Stream, the Story of Joe Humphreys". Two showings, just search State Theatre, State College. Haven't seen it, but guessing PSU Wrestling is in it, as it's been part of his life.

Thought it was pretty cool before the match started that NW announced each weight matchup by having each set of wrestlers separately shake hands at the middle of the mat and the NW wrestlers were accompanied by young boys (~10-12 year-olds?). Some of those boys seemed a little star struck to be shaking hands with the legendary PSU wrestlers. Our guys appear to have a big fan base of young wrestlers regardless where they compete.

Damn if you talking about Joe Humphries then you are old. Joe was probably 4 years ahead of me and was our school’s first state placer.
Joe or Kirk maybe. 112 or 119 I think.
Just looked and it was Kirk.

Last edited:

I'm sure with the culling of the sheer volume of elite talent in PA (and further reaches), I have no doubt the three C's won't accept anything less going forward than infinitum... and beyond. Buzz Light Year who isn't an Iowa fan... would approve... Mike Evans.. not so much.

amalone speaks jive! ;)

Reactions: amalone and papa_ed
Thought it was pretty cool before the match started that NW announced each weight matchup by having each set of wrestlers separately shake hands at the middle of the mat and the NW wrestlers were accompanied by young boys (~10-12 year-olds?). Some of those boys seemed a little star struck to be shaking hands with the legendary PSU wrestlers. Our guys appear to have a big fan base of young wrestlers regardless where they compete.
I saw that and thought the same thing...very cool! Wouldn’t mind seeing us do that at Rec Hall.

Reactions: danoftw
"David Taylor is a once in a generation talent"
"Ed Ruth is a once in a generation talent"
"Zain Retherford is a once in a generation talent"
"Jason Nolf is a once in a generation talent"
"Bo Nickal is a once in a generation talent"
"Cenzo is a once in a generation talent"
"Hall is a once in a generation talent"

Maybe Cael is a generation coaching talent.

I’m still pissed that Spencer Lee and Gable Steveson aren’t at PSU. They would fit in nicely with that list.

amalone speaks jive! ;)

Color me impressed with this post...until you used "except" where "accept" should go :). And the 3 words pertain to my faith, and my family, and life in general...in addition to how I feel about our wrestling program. Let's just say we're blessed.

Translation:

But let's take it further... The three C's knew in the beginning it was omnium rerum principia parva sunt (The beginnings of all things are small) and that the state of the program couldn't be semper idem. (always the same).

The three C's also knew that you nil desperandum (do not despair) and always permitte divis cetera. (Leave the rest to the gods... i.e. David Taylor, Ed Ruth, Zain Retherford, Jason Nolf, or Bo Nickal.)

That's their wrestling business model. It's Wrestling 101... Exitus Acta Probat. ( the outcome justifies the deed)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT