ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - NW Match Thread

You argue like my girlfriends. You ignored the rest of my post, ignored my response to Dspites52 and responded with sarcasam instead of any sound argument or logic.

What's funny is you're always over on HR posting. Don't know how you guys do this everyday and God forbid someone has a difference of opinion. Must be nice being right about everything all the time. Dick.
You googled 18 time world champ and found out my name was Dick? Just busting your ass. Your comment saying you guessed the majority never wrestled just seemed like you thought maybe you were better qualified to post than someone who hadn't, then asking a guy, like he has to be qualified by you.Maybe you can't decide who posts on forums and yeah I read HR and post and sometimes argue a little about the HR topics that were already mentioned. Is that OK? Go read the Teasdale now back? thread, it's full of real wrestlers and wrestling talk. Do you tell them how it should be too or just this board?

Reactions: Ja1339 and dsites52
You argue like my girlfriends. You ignored the rest of my post, ignored my response to Dspites52 and responded with sarcasam instead of any sound argument or logic.

What's funny is you're always over on HR posting. Don't know how you guys do this everyday and God forbid someone has a difference of opinion. Must be nice being right about everything all the time. Dick.
Dude who's stopping your opinion? Stop telling others how to be and what to post or just go. Nothing worse than whining about others when you're the one whining about others.

If there is anyone who’s wrestling pedigree would disqualify them from talking wrestling, it’s me. Fun story, in middle school, I went to a camp at Lock Haven and had a kid from Nazareth beat my ass up one side the gym and down the other. His name was Tim Darling.

If there is anyone who’s wrestling pedigree would disqualify them from talking wrestling, it’s me. Fun story, in middle school, I went to a camp at Lock Haven and had a kid from Nazareth beat my ass up one side the gym and down the other. His name was Tim Darling.

I wrestled for three years in junior high in the Harrisburg area, Cumberland Valley to be exact. Then, at the start of 9th grade I move to NEPA, Lake Lehman HS, and went out for the team. Practiced a while then decided to try skiing, told coach I wasn’t going to be at practice on Friday because I was going skiing. He told me I could not ski and wrestle, I said ok, see ya! The team did not miss me, we were state champs my senior year with three individuals champs, Bonomo’s and hwt Leskowski, our coach was Shorty Hitchcock, an interesting person. So I might have less of a wrestling pedigree.

My kids decided to wrestle in elementary school through high school, and I did help as an assistant, but I am not sure that adds much to my resume.

Nolf's bonus streak still alive. A sign he could go wire to wire this season. Will Berger actually try to wrestle him or just try not to get bonus-ed?

Watching Nolf wrestle is a thing of beauty. He is so fast, talented, creative, dominanting. He’s a one of a kind. I wish I could have wrestled that well. He’s one to emulate if you want someone to learn from the best

I thought maybe the majority did wrestle at some point. I haven't meet many people that didn't wrestle and wanted to talk about it. I don't know and it doesn't really matter if someone wrestled or not.Just so you know who you're talking to though, I'm an18 time world champion in folk,free, greco, and that slapping stuff they do in India so I'm cleared to post.
Not sure what the Indian word is, but the dude in black should have been stalled out of this match.

You see anything old,lame and CONSTANT or HR?
In support of Cementmixer and as a PSU fan I could care less what is on the HR board. I do find it immature that people cannot enjoy what we have with this program and realize there will always be detractors. Enjoy our success. Such as Nolf and Bo when they wrestle, I am sure they don't care what their opponent says in an interview, they go out and let the winning be their statement.

Similar story w Tim Cochran.

I wrestled for three years in junior high in the Harrisburg area, Cumberland Valley to be exact. Then, at the start of 9th grade I move to NEPA, Lake Lehman HS, and went out for the team. Practiced a while then decided to try skiing, told coach I wasn’t going to be at practice on Friday because I was going skiing. He told me I could not ski and wrestle, I said ok, see ya! The team did not miss me, we were state champs my senior year with three individuals champs, Bonomo’s and hwt Leskowski, our coach was Shorty Hitchcock, an interesting person. So I might have less of a wrestling pedigree.

My kids decided to wrestle in elementary school through high school, and I did help as an assistant, but I am not sure that adds much to my resume.
99% of us who wrestled only got whiffs of how great these elite wrestlers are. First time I saw one I was in shock when Andy Matter came into our gym and literally toyed with our captain and one of our top wrestlers - had no idea what elite wrestling was until I saw that. Second shock was my senior year when we had a small college champion as a student teacher and he ripped my shoulder out in practice ending my season - had no idea human beings could be that strong. Third time was freshman year when wrestling Wilkes and a State champ ended my career with 2nd dislocation. Never achieved real mat success, but never stopped loving the sport, never stopped being a fan.

Last edited:
Just getting to watch the dual now, was out last night. Impressed with Pipher up at 165, nearly coming all the way back. A year ago that match wouldn't be close.

Nolf's takedown clinic on Deakin was as hard as Nolf's wrestled all season. I don't get the criticism of Deakin for giving up stall points in the third, because if Nolf gets out he's going to tech him, better to ride and take the moral victory of having ridden out Nolf, 'only' giving up a major.

Or maybe if the Sandusky,PED's, cheating, and slush fund bullsh#t wasn't allowed it be a much better environment. The banter is great, the bullsh#t gets old.
Look around, this is what society has become. When folks respond to the fringe element, who aren't wired to think/react/respond rationally, it spirals quickly out of control. They have no intention of having a candid discussion, and in fact can't. Thing is, it's such a small, insignificant number, yet you and others give them too much credit for being real players in our wrestling discussions. Ignore is the only mature way to deal, and yet many can't help themselves. So it goes, round and round, round and round, round and round, ad infinitum.

Just getting to watch the dual now, was out last night. Impressed with Pipher up at 165, nearly coming all the way back. A year ago that match wouldn't be close.

Nolf's takedown clinic on Deakin was as hard as Nolf's wrestled all season. I don't get the criticism of Deakin for giving up stall points in the third, because if Nolf gets out he's going to tech him, better to ride and take the moral victory of having ridden out Nolf, 'only' giving up a major.
Yep, it was about not getting TFd and getting ultra-embarrassed by One of the greatest college wrestlers of all time.

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw

I did something last night I'd never done before. After the Nolf match, I thought to myself "that's the best college wrestler I've ever seen". Then after a pause, I thought "Oh wait, Cael". But Nolf at least put the thought in my head last night.
I need to re-watch the match, but there was a point in the match where Jason seemed to think about doing a rubber knee move, then thought better of it, and waited for a stalemate. That injury last year may have been a blessing in the long run.

Look around, this is what society has become. When folks respond to the fringe element, who aren't wired to think/react/respond rationally, it spirals quickly out of control. They have no intention of having a candid discussion, and in fact can't. Thing is, it's such a small, insignificant number, yet you and others give them too much credit for being real players in our wrestling discussions. Ignore is the only mature way to deal, and yet many can't help themselves. So it goes, round and round, round and round, round and round, ad infinitum.
So right thinking humans SHOULD NOT wrestle with pigs in the mud? #plaintruth

Reactions: danoftw and pish69
I don't get the criticism of Deakin for giving up stall points in the third, because if Nolf gets out he's going to tech him, better to ride and take the moral victory of having ridden out Nolf, 'only' giving up a major.
Better is one perspective, and I understand it to a degree—but that is not a championship mentality from a (normally) championship caliber athlete. IMO. Me? I’d do whatever it took to end the match as quickly and painlessly as possible. ;)

Better is one perspective, and I understand it to a degree—but that is not a championship mentality from a (normally) championship caliber athlete. IMO. Me? I’d do whatever it took to end the match as quickly and painlessly as possible. ;)

A guy like Nolf can make other great wrestlers give up "the championship mentality" on a regular basis. It would be very hard not to have gone into survival mode even earlier than Deakin did if it were me. Nolf and Bo are both that good.

Reactions: danoftw and amalone
99% of us who wrestled only got whiffs of how great these elite wrestlers are. First time I saw one was I was in shock when Andy Matter came into our gym and literally toyed with one of our top wrestlers - had no idea what elite wrestling was until I saw that. Second shock was my senior year when we had a small college champion as a student teacher and he ripped my shoulder out in practice ending my season - had no idea human beings could be that strong. Third time was freshman year when wrestling Wilkes and a State champ ended my career with 2nd dislocation. Never achieved real mat success, but never stopped loving the sport.

I agree while heartedly! I've tangled with many D2 All-Americans and was astounded by their strength and tenacity but when I grabbed a wee lad who happened to be a 9x Bulgarian NC and 2x Olympic team member I had no idea how strong a person he was and how heavy hips can be on a 190lb man .

A guy like Nolf can make other great wrestlers give up "the championship mentality" on a regular basis. It would be very hard not to have gone into survival mode even earlier than Deakin did if it were me. Nolf and Bo are both that good.
You’re right, of course. If I were Deakin, I would take my moral victory in the fact that Jason, seemingly for the first time this year, took the gloves off. Says a lot more about him than a “I can shut down on him on top” ever will.

Not sure what the Indian word is, but the dude in black should have been stalled out of this match.
That was the Goa slap off where the loser went to my weight class.
Real life. Powerhouse Fleetwood. No youth program. Sometime in early Nov. coach and guys on team would look for guys who were the size they needed and try to recruit. We won 2 matches a year, Halifax and Twin Valley, but the seniors picked WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS as our music to run out and warm up. We wore the basketball teams old warm ups, the wool like baggy pants with the jacket that had a hood that unzipped and laid flat. Had a Tiger with a basketball and a number instead of our weight. Summer tournaments were 5-10 bucks and you could pad your record a little on entry form. Kutztown Golden Bear summer tourney ran into Dave Yeager from Hamburg,think 3rd in state only lost to state champ Fenstermacher from N. Lehigh.I'm wearing gym shorts,knock-off Chuck Taylors , he has singlet, Asics.Winning 3-2 late in 1st and thinking I might pull this off, he folded me in half and let me count some lights for a second before packing me. Should of ducked him.Rode my banana seat black and orange Huffy back to Fleetwood.

Last edited:
A bit long...

Earlier in this thread (I think), my thought was that a TF was the least likely result of a Nolf vs Deakin match. I was wrong.

Given normal variation (any stat people in the crowd?), after watching the match-up last night, I am leaning to a result demographic that looks more like;

Major - Most likely
Tech Fall - 2nd Most likely
Fall - Less likely
Decision - Even less likely

Originally, I was in a camp that had; Major, Decision, Fall, Tech Fall. Deakin's history is solid. Two 8-point losses on his resume as the only bonus point losses in his career. Jason just doing Jason things, which when I look around, I see only one other guy that remotely compares...and he's a team mate.

Not sure anyone heard Cael's comments at the Radio Show. In answer to a question about DT/ER vs JN/BN, he took a page out of the running joke used here...wait until David and Ed depart, and PSU will come down to earth. Well, we didn't, as Jason and Bo have been equally dominant win-wise, and maybe a smidgeon better bonus point-wise (gnat's eyelash kind of better).

He mentioned other things, including how grateful he is. Me too. Will we see this again? Maybe not at the level we have seen since 2011 (4 years of one twosome, 4 years of another).

Sure hope folks are taking in all that Jason and Bo are delivering. Gone soon on the college stage...the next 2 months+ will be fun.

A bit long...

Earlier in this thread (I think), my thought was that a TF was the least likely result of a Nolf vs Deakin match. I was wrong.

Given normal variation (any stat people in the crowd?), after watching the match-up last night, I am leaning to a result demographic that looks more like;

Major - Most likely
Tech Fall - 2nd Most likely
Fall - Less likely
Decision - Even less likely

Originally, I was in a camp that had; Major, Decision, Fall, Tech Fall. Deakin's history is solid. Two 8-point losses on his resume as the only bonus point losses in his career. Jason just doing Jason things, which when I look around, I see only one other guy that remotely compares...and he's a team mate.

Not sure anyone heard Cael's comments at the Radio Show. In answer to a question about DT/ER vs JN/BN, he took a page out of the running joke used here...wait until David and Ed depart, and PSU will come down to earth. Well, we didn't, as Jason and Bo have been equally dominant win-wise, and maybe a smidgeon better bonus point-wise (gnat's eyelash kind of better).

He mentioned other things, including how grateful he is. Me too. Will we see this again? Maybe not at the level we have seen since 2011 (4 years of one twosome, 4 years of another).

Sure hope folks are taking in all that Jason and Bo are delivering. Gone soon on the college stage...the next 2 months+ will be fun.

There is another individual that bridged the first two on to these giants. You can’t always give everyone credit who deserves it, but it’s time re-emphasize Zain being in the same conversation. Those five are all legit all-timers in the sport, in a condensed time frame, on one team (yeah, with mr. all-timer at the helm). What a ride it has been for all of us—who’s to say when it will end. Could be soon, or not. It will conclude one day, and we all got to bear witness.

Last edited:
There is another individual that bridged the first two on to these giants. You can’t always give everyone credit who deserves it, but it’s time re-emphasize Zain being in the same conversation. Those five are all legit all-timers in the sport, in a condensed time frame, on one team (yeah, with mr. all-timer at the helm). What a ride it has been for all of us—who’s to say when it will end. Could be soon, or not. It will conclude one day, and we all got to bear witness.
Hall and Cenzo are also in that conversation. It has been basically non stop , very special top tier wrestlers since DT/ER.

Conclude... ??? I hope it's not in my lifetime. As long as Pennsylvania stays a hot bed of wrestling and Cael gets first pick... I'm going to use Roar's favorite word or was it Buzz Lightyear and hope it's to INFINITUM... and beyond.

Berge looked great last night; lots of energy in the 3rd period. Seems like he is managing the cut very well, especially considering this was an away Friday night dual. Getting more and more optimistic about his potential this year.

Granted it was just one match but Berge impressed the hell out of me. He has been really solid all year, but he showed a lot more confidence and purpose. He has the skills to be elite he just needs to open it up and trust his training. It looked like Cael's system is finally kicking in. Let's hope he brings it the next time he faces a top 10 kid. Exciting stuff.

Last edited:
With some regularity, this group does extraordinary things.

Last night Jason Nolf won the 3rd period 3-0 despite getting ridden out. We may never see that again.

Conclude... ??? I hope it's not in my lifetime. As long as Pennsylvania stays a hot bed of wrestling and Cael gets first pick... I'm going to use Roar's favorite word or was it Buzz Lightyear and hope it's to INFINITUM... and beyond.
Got your intent, and yes, PSU success could/should continue with PA as a hotbed AND with the 3 C's in charge...but you blew it on my favorite word. I have three, and none are "infinitum".

"David Taylor is a once in a generation talent"

... Ummm ...

"Ed Ruth is a once in a generation talent"

... Ummm ...

"Zain Retherford is a once in a generation talent"

... Ummm ...

"Jason Nolf is a once in a generation talent"

... Ummm ...

"Bo Nickal is a once in a generation talent"

... Ummm ...

"Cenzo is a once in a generation talent"

... Ummm ...

"Hall is a once in a generation talent"

Maybe Cael is a generation coaching talent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT