ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Nebraska Dual Official Thread

True, OTOH, if the Hawkeyes are okay with being number 3, that says a lot right there.
After wrestling a spectacular national tourney last year and earning an unexpected 3rd place team trophy they were all smiles. Including Tom and Terry.
3rd best does seem to give the Hawkeyes a sense of accomplishment they lacked 10 years ago.

Berger's ankle grabs to "stall-mates" are annoying. Nolf does the work and then Berger goes for a stall-mate or a potentially dangerous hold. At best, it's a failed attempt at "funking". Hope Nolf bonuses him next time.
Just my opinion, but the ankle grab followed by no attempt to improve at a certain point should be called stalling.

Top 3? Which OSU program are you dismissing?
Okie St. We can revisit on Feb 24 and see if I’m right. And either way, I am confident Iowa will outscore Okie St in March

Lee/Picc Lee at least a major, probably TF
Desanto/Fix. Toss up
Murin/Brock. Brock slight advantage
Gfeller/Lugo. Both lost to Ashnault close. Toss up
Young/Shomers. Young most likely major, possible fall
Marinelli/Rogers. Marinelli by at least dec
Bowman/Smith. Smith major at least
Wilcke/Smith. Smith slight edge
Warner/Geer. Slight edge to Warner
Stoll/White. Toss up

6 toss ups. Give 3 dec to each. Lee 5, Young 4, Marinelli 3. Smith 4. Final 21-17 Iowa.

Last edited:
I do too... agree 100%.
I have been coaching for 30 years and I will yell if a kid is missing something. (the ref gave you the 2 or he got a stalling call) At the high school level, that happens a lot. However, About 2 weeks ago I quit coaching my son from the chair altogether. I sit in the stands or behind the bench when he wrestles. I was yelling things that he was not doing and I figured that I was so out of sync with him that it was best if I just sit down and shut up. It is hard to coach your own son. But I think I am relearning that it really is not that important to yell from sidelines.

Just my opinion, but the ankle grab followed by no attempt to improve at a certain point should be called stalling.
It is amazing how long it takes the rules committee to put a little common sense into the rules. If holding an ankle from the top position or falling to an ankle and holding on for 5 seconds is stalling, why not make it stalling from a defensive position. If you are not trying to improve and are only trying to stop the other guy from improving, then call it stalling.

Reactions: danoftw
Deep insights. Maybe address the 3 takedowns on Friday.
You’re the one obsessed with them not me ...it’s the Big 10 and all you harp on is Rutgers ...like I said ...sounds like little mans syndrome and you feel a need to bully the little team in the room since you were bitch slapped while growing up ....we all know PSU is the GOAT so why keep knocking and obsessing about RU and the coach ....take your obsession somewhere else ..it’s getting old here....probably why you were banned there is my guess

You’re the one obsessed with them not me ...it’s the Big 10 and all you harp on is Rutgers ...like I said ...sounds like little mans syndrome and you feel a need to bully the little team in the room since you were bitch slapped while growing up ....we all know PSU is the GOAT so why keep knocking and obsessing about RU and the coach ....take your obsession somewhere else ..it’s getting old here....probably why you were banned there is my guess

Rutgers board argument. First, your statement isn't true and your personal analysis is both incorrect and way out of line. Don't address the substantive points, say something personal, no matter how stupid. Second, you still haven't addressed the 3 takedown issue.

Last week Rutgers people took issue with my characterization of the Rutgers style as conservative. Then Friday, Rutgers goes out and gets three takedowns total in a dual meet. I'd say the results bore out what I said.

I'd like to see Rutgers get better and have their fans get more informed. Maybe then it would be a good experience to go to their matches and I would go again. But the hype hasn't been matched by performance for the last probably ten years and the program's wrestling style is dismal.

And what you are doing is pure trolling. You don't make any substantive points, you just tell me what I can't post about.

Someone on the Ticket Exchange FB page said half the team has had issues with the Flu. I guess VJ gave it to the team. And that Shack’s issue is the flu. It would explain a lot.

Rutgers board argument. First, your statement isn't true and your personal analysis is both incorrect and way out of line. Don't address the substantive points, say something personal, no matter how stupid. Second, you still haven't addressed the 3 takedown issue.

Last week Rutgers people took issue with my characterization of the Rutgers style as conservative. Then Friday, Rutgers goes out and gets three takedowns total in a dual meet. I'd say the results bore out what I said.

I'd like to see Rutgers get better and have their fans get more informed. Maybe then it would be a good experience to go to their matches and I would go again. But the hype hasn't been matched by performance for the last probably ten years and the program's wrestling style is dismal.

And what you are doing is pure trolling. You don't make any substantive points, you just tell me what I can't post about.
Yea that’s what all boards do ..call someone a troll when you don’t like what’s being said ..I stated a fact ..you constantly rip Rutgers ..who here really cares ..and I’m sure since you were banned there they could care less if you ever go to a match there ...you are not relevant and you should grow up ...this is a PSU board ...not RU ...

Yea that’s what all boards do ..call someone a troll when you don’t like what’s being said ..I stated a fact ..you constantly rip Rutgers ..who here really cares ..and I’m sure since you were banned there they could care less if you ever go to a match there ...you are not relevant and you should grow up ...this is a PSU board ...not RU ...
PS...they are not the number 1 team in the country ...or top ten for that matter ...why you take that narrative is childish and imo ...dumb!!

I think its nice that Rutgers has the best Cruiseliners in the Big.

I think its nice that the RU program started a construction crew to help fill pot holes in Pittsburgh.

I think its nice that RU is helping to fight the scourge of obesity on college campuses by promoting their matches and their wrestlers shirtless.

I think its nice that Rutgers has the best Cruiseliners in the Big.

I think its nice that the RU program started a construction crew to help fill pot holes in Pittsburgh.

I think its nice that RU is helping to fight the scourge of obesity on college campuses by promoting their matches and their wrestlers shirtless.
Ok so the dummy has some classmates ..nice touch ....ripping Rutgers or any school gets old after awhile ...if he has a problem with them he should take it to them ..that’s all I said ...oh I forgot ..he can’t cause he got banned there lol....PSU is best team in country and has been for so long you would think he would rather talk about that ....lesson learned

Here's something from Denny Diehl's Lehigh Wrestling News, another person "obsessed" with Rutgers apparently:

"Iowa is now 5-0 vs. Rutgers. The 24-point win matches the largest series win margin (33-9 in 2010)."

Which means the only other time Iowa beat Rutgers by as large a margin as they did on Friday night was when Iowa was the #1 team in the country. And if it wasn't for DeSanto's outburst and team penalty point, it would have been Iowa's largest margin of victory in the short series between the teams. But Rutgers is moving in the right direction under Goodale, we've been told that by Goodale.

Ok so the dummy has some classmates ..nice touch ....ripping Rutgers or any school gets old after awhile ...if he has a problem with them he should take it to them ..that’s all I said ...oh I forgot ..he can’t cause he got banned there lol....PSU is best team in country and has been for so long you would think he would rather talk about that ....lesson learned
Maybe don't beg to be mocked if you don't want that.

Also:

7a6e4bd14c992dfdb9d2577aedaac1ae.jpg

Here's something from Denny Diehl's Lehigh Wrestling News, another person "obsessed" with Rutgers apparently:

"Iowa is now 5-0 vs. Rutgers. The 24-point win matches the largest series win margin (33-9 in 2010)."

Which means the only other time Iowa beat Rutgers by as large a margin as they did on Friday night was when Iowa was the #1 team in the country. And if it wasn't for DeSanto's outburst and team penalty point, it would have been Iowa's largest margin of victory in the short series between the teams. But Rutgers is moving in the right direction under Goodale, we've been told that by Goodale.
Goodale is the Pat Chambers of wrestling

I have been coaching for 30 years and I will yell if a kid is missing something. (the ref gave you the 2 or he got a stalling call) At the high school level, that happens a lot. However, About 2 weeks ago I quit coaching my son from the chair altogether. I sit in the stands or behind the bench when he wrestles. I was yelling things that he was not doing and I figured that I was so out of sync with him that it was best if I just sit down and shut up. It is hard to coach your own son. But I think I am relearning that it really is not that important to yell from sidelines.

My dad once asked me after a dual meet why I didn't yell from the chain anymore when I was coaching. I told him I finally figured out that half of the kids couldn't hear me and the other half weren't going to listen. So I save myself a sore throat and headache and do my coaching at practice.

Reactions: diggerpup
OK. Let's say something nice about rutgers for this guy.
That was a nice back flip JVB hit after his riding time point victory over that 100ish or so ranked kid earlier this year. Best I can do.

It's nice that Nick S. is healthy this year. It's also nice that heis enjoying himself 100 times more at Rutgers than at PSU, even though he's ranked lower now as a junior than he was in his freshman year at PSU.

my memory is definitely foggy, but I thought it may have been riding time, which I thought must have been barely a minute

Yeah, not sure what happened. GoPSUSports says it was a penalty point but doesn't say what for. The ref stopped the match with only a couple of seconds left and they restarted at neutral and awarded Berge a point but I don;t know what for. Definitely not riding time as the point was awarded before the match ended. Illegal hold would be my guess.

Yeah, not sure what happened. GoPSUSports says it was a penalty point but doesn't say what for. The ref stopped the match with only a couple of seconds left and they restarted at neutral and awarded Berge a point but I don;t know what for. Definitely not riding time as the point was awarded before the match ended. Illegal hold would be my guess.

My memory is that locked hands was signaled, then Schearer got a reversal (so the match would not be stopped or a point awarded), and then Schearer cut Berge as he was trailing by 2 or 3 points. At that point, the locked hands penalty against Berge was awarded to Schearer. I haven't checked the video since the match, so my apologies if that's not the exact sequence of events.

Right before the ref was going to restart the action, the Neb kid pointed and Berge and said something. That's when the point was awarded.

I asked my son what happened during the match and he said they signaled an illegal hold. It had to be when he reached down to Berge’s ankle and intentionally jerked against the joint.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT