ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Nebraska Dual Official Thread

Coaches that are constantly instructing are doing it for their own benefit. And if you are constantly yelling stuff, it tends to get tuned out. The B1G broadcast on Friday had the Rutgers staff mic'd up. Truly amazing stuff coming out of there like "hustle". If I'm wrestling and the best a coach can offer is "hustle", I'm not making any effort to hear them. Quite the opposite.

Imo, you don't want wrestlers overthinking. If they are listening for coaches instructions while wrestling, it is hurting their performance. So I like the way PSU coaches.
Seriously. The only time for that is during a stoppage.

We had one coach would yell stuff out at an inconsequential point in a match. If the guy reacted, he got a talking to on the bench -- because that meant he wasn't focused on the opponent.

Reactions: diggerpup
Coaches that are constantly instructing are doing it for their own benefit. And if you are constantly yelling stuff, it tends to get tuned out. The B1G broadcast on Friday had the Rutgers staff mic'd up. Truly amazing stuff coming out of there like "hustle". If I'm wrestling and the best a coach can offer is "hustle", I'm not making any effort to hear them. Quite the opposite.

Imo, you don't want wrestlers overthinking. If they are listening for coaches instructions while wrestling, it is hurting their performance. So I like the way PSU coaches.
I do too... agree 100%.

Today's referee's skill ser has been overwhelmed by the level of wrestling. Without sugar coating it, he sucks.

Standing behind Hall he calls locked hands and then with the video replay he tells Cael I can't see if they were locked or not.
I saw the second ref make the signal, motioning to the lead ref, who then made the official call. The video was from an angle they couldn't see, so it appeared the lead ref then went to the second ref to make sure he saw it. Then the call was finally made, as you noted. Anyone see it differently.

Last edited:

You seem to mention Rutgers a lot ...I thought this was a PSU board...

Parrish for Neb ranked #179 and I think his red shirt was just pulled. Like I said, RBY did not impress me that much. Good win just like rest of PSU guys. Neb tough.

The only major on the whole team and you were unimpressed. Sure he wasnt a top ten foe but I loved what RBY had to show today.

I think we are all getting spoiled. Too many duals early in the year against overmatched competition. Now that we are walking through the Big10, the kids are tougher and the coaching much better. It's no secret we have looked somewhat lack luster the past two duals. The kid's are good and being well coached to slow it down, don't make mistakes, and keep it close. A bit frustrating to watch, but hey it works, and worked for Hall vs Valencia too.

I thought the ref sucked today as well. Very inconsistent and slow on stall calls. Three blatant fleeing the mats within two minutes and he did nothing. It hurts when the ref won't force the action.

First match: White by tech
Second match: White in OT
Third match: Cenzo in OT
Fourth match: Cenzo 2-0 in a match where he was never threatened

Yep. Widening the gap.
High school and college after a few years? One of which white spent not in div 1

Nobody is questioning VJ is better but this match compared to their match last year I did see some widening of the gap. White will always be a tough match for VJ but the kid has shown in college he knows how to get his hand raised

Anyone know where I could see today's dual? I thought Flo (pro) would have it but I don't see it there; do they not have the rights to archive BTN matches, only run them live? I could've sworn I've rewatched BTN matches on Flo, though.

Anyone know where I could see today's dual? I thought Flo (pro) would have it but I don't see it there; do they not have the rights to archive BTN matches, only run them live? I could've sworn I've rewatched BTN matches on Flo, though.

Sometime it takes them a few hours to post them. Do a search later tonight on "Penn state vs nebraska" select videos and then filter on most recent.

Then again they sometimes pop up on you tube as well until Flo finds out and had them removed.

Nebraska is a tough team with a lot of highly ranked and talented kids.I think we have become a little spoiled expecting our guys to bonus everyone. PS did what it needed to do to beat some good kids.
Nebraska came in with a game plan of hand fighting and keeping matches close. Was impressed with a couple of Nebraska's wrestlers who at least wrestled like they wanted to win instead of the others who were wrestling to not get beat too bad.

Reactions: fronk71
The only major on the whole team and you were unimpressed. Sure he wasnt a top ten foe but I loved what RBY had to show today.

I think we are all getting spoiled. Too many duals early in the year against overmatched competition. Now that we are walking through the Big10, the kids are tougher and the coaching much better. It's no secret we have looked somewhat lack luster the past two duals. The kid's are good and being well coached to slow it down, don't make mistakes, and keep it close. A bit frustrating to watch, but hey it works, and worked for Hall vs Valencia too.

I thought the ref sucked today as well. Very inconsistent and slow on stall calls. Three blatant fleeing the mats within two minutes and he did nothing. It hurts when the ref won't force the action.
Agreed on the refs who called out of bounds when one of our wrestlers foot was within the circle. WTF

Three falls all in the 1st period, grand total of 2:40

2\10\18 Bowman Fall :50
3\16\17 Brooks Fall 1:02
1\20\17 Brooks Fall :38

So in less time than 1 period, Bo has manhandled Hawks wrestlers three times.
You said every Hawk wrestler, he’s only faced 2 different Hawks. If he faces Warner, he will probably be the 3rd based on how Warner has looked so far this year.

Yeah, i don't see it on Flo yet. It is available on BTN+, if you happen to subscribe to that.

First match: White by tech
Second match: White in OT
Third match: Cenzo in OT
Fourth match: Cenzo 2-0 in a match where he was never threatened

Yep. Widening the gap.
You can go with that but in a nod to my old statistics professor I am just going to say 3rd and 4th match are within the standard error and no change in the gap. I say they are very close with slight edge to cenzo

Flo just posted the Nolf/Berger match. Only one up right now

Reactions: tikk10
Today's referee's skill ser has been overwhelmed by the level of wrestling. Without sugar coating it, he sucks.

Standing behind Hall he calls locked hands and then with the video replay he tells Cael I can't see if they were locked or not.
I thought the other ref signaled it.

Hats off to PSU and Nebraska for braving these weather conditions to provide me some great entertainment today! And kuddos to all the fans that trudged their way to Rec Hall.

Some misc observations.

Scoring — Despite the low scoring I didn’t have the sense that any match was ever in serious doubt.

Lee — I think this is an important win for Nick, particularly given his history with Redd and coming off a loss. Redd is a great wrestler when he’s “on.”

Nolf — hard to process how one guy can be so much better than his closest competitors at this elite level.

VJ — Another important win in my book. White is arguably the guy with the best shot at an upset vs VJ. Plus, the first match back after illness or injury can be tough — conditioning, timing, confidence, etc can be off. Cenzo showed that a healthy, injury-free version of himself will own this weight.

Manville — Looked very impressive against a guy who appeared to be much more than 2 weight classes bigger.

Cassar — proves again that most heavies will struggle with his pace and conditioning, even after spotting them a relatively inactive first period.

Suspect what's going on is that Lee, like water, is in the process of seeking his own (true) level while going against competition drawn from the toughest wrestling conference in the nation. Heading into the conference schedule ranked #4 was, I suspect, a little bit too high for him -- at least given the strength of competition he'd faced to that particular point in time. Maybe the halo effect of being a starter for the consensus #1 team in the country.

It'll be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Or maybe finishing 5th last year and dominating his early matches with bonus points was the reason?

I suspect the easy wins early didn't help him. It allowed him to do what he's best at without needing to adjust. He's not a one trick pony, but has become one a bit. He'll still see Kanen Storr, Michael Carr and Joey McKenna before the conference tourney. I think we'll see adjustments.

All that said, there is a dynamic with him and Red. Today went almost exactly as I expected, though I thought Red would have a little more fight in him offensively. I'm looking forward to seeing him head back to Indiana and dominate next weekend, hoping we see a little variety in his attacks.

Reactions: ClarkstonMark
Anybody know where to find the video of Joseph warming up for his match by doing the electric slide behind the bleachers? I saw it somewhere today and wanted to forward it but I cannot find it now. Edit...my wife said it is the cha cha slide ;).

High school and college after a few years? One of which white spent not in div 1

Nobody is questioning VJ is better but this match compared to their match last year I did see some widening of the gap. White will always be a tough match for VJ but the kid has shown in college he knows how to get his hand raised
I agree and I'm wondering why everyone is up in arms. Come March in the quarters and semis there isn't going to be a lot of pins. Competition gets tough .Our kids grinding them out now is not an issue .if it's a pattern then it's an issue. Chenzo just coming back doesn't bother me. If he starts wrestling like this all the time then yes I worry. But that isn't happening with our guys with the exception of Lee, Hall and Berge who have styles that aren't going to blow you out as long as they active and going after it I don't care if they win by two or three .I think we are spoiled. I'm expecting a pin from every kid every time. That's not reality Cael will have them ready to get it out come March I have no doubt. In the mean time I'm going to enjoy the ride and be grateful to watch a team like this with a coach like this and a future like this WE ARE

Sports dynasties are easy to hate, not only because of all the winning, but because their fans can become obnoxious. One way this obnoxiousness manifests is expecting as if it's their divine right to absolutely blow out every opponent. I don't think PSU fans are at this point...yet. It is a risk, though.
The antidote is truly appreciating every time these incredible athletes take the mat and being grateful that we are so fortunate to be PSU fans at this time.
WE ARE!!!

I can give you that. But Cenzo didn’t do a lot on top in the 2nd. Be honest, if Evan Wick rode Cenzo for a period like that you would want stalling called.
No, we’d say our guy gotten ridden like a rented mule and needs to work on getting out from bottom. So let’s be honest, Cenzo put on a tough ride and White got ridden like a rented mule. It’s OK to be honest. Stop making stuff up to attempt to prove a point.

No, we’d say our guy gotten ridden like a rented mule and needs to work on getting out from bottom. So let’s be honest, Cenzo put on a tough ride and White got ridden like a rented mule. It’s OK to be honest. Stop making stuff up to attempt to prove a point.
Just rewatched the match. Cenzo didn’t make 1 attempt to try to turn White. He threw his leg in for a 2 min parallel ride. Not his usual style but it worked and he won.

Reactions: fronk71
Could have been (3) if TNT would have come visited. Can you please ask them nicely for us and maybe they will show up :rolleyes:
I would ask the Big 10 powers that be why this dual doesn’t happen every year. If they would just schedule it nobody would have to blame coaches. And I did state Nickal would most likely pin Warner earlier in this thread.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Just rewatched the match. Cenzo didn’t make 1 attempt to try to turn White. He threw his leg in for a 2 min parallel ride. Not his usual style but it worked and he won.

Obsessed much jmadden? It’s owning your whole night :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT