ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA Sports for Fall 2020, Ongoing Discussion

Yup- and so is baseball. It's been happening all summer. And somehow still we feel the need to go backwards because its related to schools.
A few kids from our BB team came in contact with someone positive at an AAU tourny earlier this summer. Their voluntary HS workouts were suspended for weeks and the kids had to test and quarantine. I'm talking about a powerhouse HS BB team with multiple D1 prospects. I'm not sure why you think it's going backwards? I'd be more curious as to why Wolf has allowed these AAU tourneys to begin with.

Reactions: psu1969a
My son played 13u baseball from May 1-July 19......no positive tests on team, no sickness on team, no tournaments cancelled (and we are talking 70-100 team events from 7u-16u).

My daughter has played both volleyball and soccer since May 1....same situation as above.

When they aren't playing their sports, they are riding their bikes, having sleep overs, going to water park, etc......and same end result as above.

Agreed. There is no end game. Their answer is to lock everything up until it goes away- which it won't. The other side of this will be worse than the actual virus.

Yep, the worst is yet to come a few years down the road. We will have a society full of uneducated, unskilled young people which, of course, will lead to depression, suicide, poor overall health, booze, drugs, jail and many more horrifying things.

Many of the kids that grow up in small PA towns like alot of us did, need these sports as much as anything.

Our leaders are so soft that it's an embarrassment to this once great state.

Reactions: Amigo3 and Lyons212
My son played 13u baseball from May 1-July 19......no positive tests on team, no sickness on team, no tournaments cancelled (and we are talking 70-100 team events from 7u-16u).

My daughter has played both volleyball and soccer since May 1....same situation as above.

When they aren't playing their sports, they are riding their bikes, having sleep overs, going to water park, etc......and same end result as above.

We're long past health concerns driving policy decisions. It's all liability and politics now.

Yep, the worst is yet to come a few years down the road. We will have a society full of uneducated, unskilled young people which, of course, will lead to depression, suicide, poor overall health, booze, drugs, jail and many more horrifying things.

Many of the kids that grow up in small PA towns like alot of us did, need these sports as much as anything.

Our leaders are so soft that it's an embarrassment to this once great state.
It’s possible that is the end game...more government dependency...elevates their importance...

What the hell do they expect these kids to do? Just shelter in place for the next 5-10 years?

Wolf and his little buddy are prime examples of terrible leadership. They are killing these kids, but oh well.... the virus is all that matters!
We have another disease in the US... a predatory legal system, a blame first media and political establishment, and risk adverse / cya government. The legal system et al is a societal issue in that much of the population looks for opportunities to be wronged, validation from media that they have been wronged, and opportunities to receive a pay day. As such, government moves into full cya mode.

We have another disease in the US... a predatory legal system, a blame first media and political establishment, and risk adverse / cya government. The legal system et al is a societal issue in that much of the population looks for opportunities to be wronged, validation from media that they have been wronged, and opportunities to receive a pay day. As such, government moves into full cya mode.

True. This isn't about health policy.

SIAP , (my bro is an asst sup. in PA) he is hearing that Wolf will recommend no fall sports, but will leave it up to the schools and regions for now.

A few kids from our BB team came in contact with someone positive at an AAU tourny earlier this summer. Their voluntary HS workouts were suspended for weeks and the kids had to test and quarantine. I'm talking about a powerhouse HS BB team with multiple D1 prospects. I'm not sure why you think it's going backwards? I'd be more curious as to why Wolf has allowed these AAU tourneys to begin with.

Its going backwards because ALL SUMMER these kids were in large groups in tourneys, pools, gatherings- whatever. Now for our school, we act like they can't be near each other all of a sudden. It's all a show.

Again- no endgame.

We've been playing in Big 10u baseball tourneys all summer, with more to come. Hardly anyone wearing masks, parents congregating. The kids have been in large groups all summer, having sleep overs, going to pools, etc. Somehow now, being associated with school, its all a big show to "social distance" after not doing it for 3 months. It's unreal.

Its going backwards because ALL SUMMER these kids were in large groups in tourneys, pools, gatherings- whatever. Now for our school, we act like they can't be near each other all of a sudden. It's all a show.

Again- no endgame.
Although I don't doubt what you're saying is true, I don't really agree with the backwards thing. Appreciate you being civil. I just hope this shit is done soon.

Again- no endgame.
My nephew played for an elite baseball travel team this summer. They played in mega-large tournaments in Alabama, Georgia, and Fl. The GA event in July had 180 teams. Perfect Game sponsored many of the tournaments, and for many age brackets. Although it is not a double blinded study, I have not heard anything about a COVID flare up secondary to any of these events.

https://www.perfectgame.org/default.aspx

Reactions: bison13
SIAP , (my bro is an asst sup. in PA) he is hearing that Wolf will recommend no fall sports, but will leave it up to the schools and regions for now.

The PIAA is having an emergency meeting this afternoon. We'll see if they stand up to this governor or cave. Can't wait for the reaction when they pull the plug on all fall sports.

Reactions: Obliviax
From what I heard in other states as well. PA AAU teams have been traveling to Tenn and Ohio and some other states for tournaments.
I wonder how many of these kids would test positive for the antibodies. I know of dozens of kids who had it back in March or before because they got an antibody test since parents were required too.

True. This isn't about health policy.
After the first athlete this fall becomes positive, it will be a media frenzy and then the head hunting will commence. The governor needs to say “I told them not to play.” Otherwise, he is to blame in our society. Concurrently mom or day will cry in a media interview “nobody protected my little johnny from covid.”

After the first athlete this fall becomes positive, it will be a media frenzy and then the head hunting will commence. The governor needs to say “I told them not to play.” Otherwise, he is to blame in our society. Concurrently mom or day will cry in a media interview “nobody protected my little johnny from covid.”
You forgot to add that the parents who led the "let them play" parade, will lawyer up, jump on Twitter, Instagram, and give tearful TV interviews when their child gets sick.

Reactions: psu1969a
Schools can’t have a double standard though. If you’re school doesn’t think it’s safe enough for students that it is taking extreme measures with class size 15 or less, desks far apart, no switching classes, lunch in the classroom, hybrid model of half in school/half time cyber, full cyber, etc... how could the same district then say football is safe. It’s either all safe or not, they can’t have their cake and eat it too.

Schools can’t have a double standard though. If you’re school doesn’t think it’s safe enough for students that it is taking extreme measures with class size 15 or less, desks far apart, no switching classes, lunch in the classroom, hybrid model of half in school/half time cyber, full cyber, etc... how could the same district then say football is safe. It’s either all safe or not, they can’t have their cake and eat it too.
How dare you spew common sense?

Reactions: Pittston-Lion
We've been playing in Big 10u baseball tourneys all summer, with more to come. Hardly anyone wearing masks, parents congregating. The kids have been in large groups all summer, having sleep overs, going to pools, etc. Somehow now, being associated with school, its all a big show to "social distance" after not doing it for 3 months. It's unreal.
Politics >> Common Sense

“He said ‘sports.’ Does that mean all sports?” Scheuneman said. “Professional sports and college sports as well? Or is he segregating high school sports? Because if there are no fans, there’s no difference in all of those sports.”
He’ll need to think about that a bit...

I read the numbers like everyone else, but my wife and I don't even know of a single person who has had it, sort of makes it hard to take real seriously. We do wear masks when appropriate and required. Youth sports have been played all summer in this area and I haven't heard of any problems. Also, from what I understand, the risk to the kids is statistically tiny, but obviously, they can pass it to others.

Reactions: Amigo3
Screw HS Football.
My sons runs XC—. Tennis, golf and cross country has no issues completing their season. I have a senior boy and a sophomore girl. I am tired of this argument of if football can’t play no other sports shouldn’t either

I am a huge football fan and used to coach. However, all other sports should not revolve around football. I totally agree that sports where there is no intentional contact with opponents should go on as scheduled. Cross Country, Golf, Tennis, Swimming, Volleyball, etc.

I am hearing that Downingtown East is stating that they are only going to play schools in their county. Has anyone else heard this?

Another suburban Philadelphia league. The below was announced the day before the Governor's, and the PA Dept. of Health's, recommendations.

A high school in the Central League -- another big league in the Philadelphia suburbs.

You forgot to add that the parents who led the "let them play" parade, will lawyer up, jump on Twitter, Instagram, and give tearful TV interviews when their child gets sick.
They won’t even know their kids ever had it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT