ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA Sports for Fall 2020, Ongoing Discussion

My daughter is playing club soccer. Had her first full practice Tuesday night, phase IV. Second practice is tonight and we have already dropped back to phase III, small groups no contact practice.
It’s going to be a constant one step up, two steps back situation.

Did anyone see Wolf's press conference?

"The guidance is that we ought to avoid any congregate settings. And that means anything that brings people together is going to help that virus get us," Wolf, a Democrat, said Thursday morning in Harrisburg.

"And we ought to do everything we can to defeat that virus. So any time we get together for any reason, that's a problem, because it makes it easier for that virus to spread. So the guidance from us, recommendation, is that we don't do any sports until January first," he said.

Regarding the Central League post from Tom. My daughter works in Central league school and they were all set for a hybrid model and last night they got an email saying they are going all virtual, No one knows why. Very low # of covid cases out this way.

Boggles my mind that people believe these decisions and recommendations are political in nature.
A) Gov. Wolf is never running for office again.
B) Based on the vitriol on this board and many other locations, he’s not making many friends with the decisions he has made.
He’s in a game with no playbook making the best calls he can in the interest of public health and, I’m sure, liability concerns. I certainly don’t agree with everything he has done, but I’d never question his integrity in this situation. Real easy to complain from the sidelines.

Boggles my mind that people believe these decisions and recommendations are political in nature.
B) Based on the vitriol on this board and many other locations, he’s not making many friends with the decisions he has made.
He’s in a game with no playbook making the best calls he can in the interest of public health and, I’m sure, liability concerns. I certainly don’t agree with everything he has done, but I’d never question his integrity in this situation. Real easy to complain from the sidelines.
Your not new here. Look at this place after a loss...hell even some wins...lots of raw asses park here.

My daughter has also been playing sports all over the state the past 2 months. I have not seen or heard of any issues.
The true number to look at is excess mortality. Meaning how many people died vs how many would have died anyway. That number is roughly 45,000-50,000 in the U.S.

"The guidance is that we ought to avoid any congregate settings (except protests for the right reasons). And that means anything that brings people together (except protests for the right reasons) is going to help that virus get us," Wolf, a Democrat, said Thursday morning in Harrisburg.

"And we ought to do everything we can to defeat that virus (except prevent protests for the right reasons). So any time we get together for any reason (except protests for the right reasons), that's a problem, because it makes it easier for that virus to spread. So the guidance from us, recommendation, is that we don't do any sports until January first (but protests for the right reasons are encouraged," he said.
Fixed it.

Bwahaha.

Reactions: Little J
Others will follow..........
Personally, I wish the PIAA had done what we did in NY. We moved things back to 9/21 and can still start fall then. If we are unable to begin then, we will go to a 30 week schedule beginning 1/4/21......10 week winter season, 10 week fall season and 10 or more week spring season.
Both options buy time and that IMO is better than putting blinders on and pretending that everything is normal.
I like it...smart, flexible

I don't know the specifics. It's unclear to me if the girl had tested on her own in the days prior to the match, or was actually tested that day either pre- or post-match for whatever reason.

Testing is not cheap. Instant testing is very expensive, and generally is only available in hospitals or other critical locations.

I was at a LAX tournament last weekend (also all high school age), and I know that no players, coaches, or refs were tested as part of the tournament. I really doubt that the soccer players were tested as part of the tournament I referenced in my earlier post. These tournaments are already really expensive for the teams (and thus the parents of the players), and they also operate with a skeleton crew of people running them (outside of the officials, which are independent contractors that agree to officiate the tournament). I know a guy that works for an organization that runs sports tournaments across the country. Based on what he's told me (we never specifically discussed COVID testing and tournaments), they run on a shoestring, with little extra money available for unusual events. In that context, I don't see any way that the tournament could pay for, or provide, the testing.

You can expand that to the high schools (which is the focus of this thread). As far as I know, very, very few of them have the resources to test all their regular students 1 time. I doubt that any of them have the resources to conduct ongoing testing of their athletes. @marshall23 probably can speak to this with more knowledge than I can.

Tom, I can understand any parent or grandparent being concerned. I worry about my girls every single day. But why would you have heightened concern for grandkids with COVID-19? Did you have special concern when they participated in sports during flu season - which is 5 times more dangerous to kids than COVID? Additionally, if you are a grandfather and have that kind of concern about COVID, what the devil were you doing attending large soccer and lax tournaments?

Lots of posts deleted in this thread. My first time in 20 years on this board.

I have two teenage drivers. I worry way more about them driving and getting home safely than i do about them getting covid.
Tom, I can understand any parent or grandparent being concerned. I worry about my girls every single day. But why would you have heightened concern for grandkids with COVID-19? Did you have special concern when they participated in sports during flu season - which is 5 times more dangerous to kids than COVID? Additionally, if you are a grandfather and have that kind of concern about COVID, what the devil were you doing attending large soccer and lax tournaments?

My daughter has also been playing sports all over the state the past 2 months. I have not seen or heard of any issues.
The true number to look at is excess mortality. Meaning how many people died vs how many would have died anyway. That number is roughly 45,000-50,000 in the U.S.
Spot on!

I expect the PIAA to stay the course, and allow the decision to play and timing to be made at a local level (district, league, or school).

Boy, I don't know. We saw the Lebanon County commissioners make the decision that they knew better than the state about what was best for the people of Lebanon County. And Governor Wolf responded by withholding Covid-related aid to the county. I doubt the members of the PIAA Board of Directors have the courage of their convictions to stand up to the governor. But we'll see.

Reactions: bison13 and surfmom
wonder how many teens have died from distracted driving - radio or cell phone related. I’m more worried about teens driving than them suffering permanent damage or death from Covid. As of yesterday there had not been a single case child death or any child being on a ventilator due to Covid at the Pittsburgh children’s hospital.

Reactions: bison13 and surfmom
I expect the PIAA to stay the course, and allow the decision to play and timing to be made at a local level (district, league, or school).

The PIAA generally follows the guidance of the PIAA Medical Advisory Committee in their decision making. The medical committee previously voted unanimously to begin the start of fall sports in August, provided that safety guidelines and protocols are being followed.

For those who want to know more about the committee:

https://www.piaa.org/about/committees/advisory/sports-medicine.aspx

doubtful. Department of Health and Department of Education have both go on record that they agree with Wolf’s statement. No way does the PIAA go against these two groups. And if they do, local districts won’t. There is too much liability at risk. It’s not the virus being the big issue, it’s one student athlete or coach getting it and possibly dying from it and the ramifications of that happening after PIAA and schools were basically told not to have sports.

Reactions: marshall23
Well, if the majority of school districts start postponing fall sports those that want to keep playing won't really have anyone to play?

So many bad decisions being made in state capitols that will harm our youth for several years to come. All under the guise of "safety"

Reactions: surfmom
So you would also say the same about every other leader in this country correct?

PIAA kicks can down road 2 weeks. No fall sport practices until 8/24. Voluntary workouts can continue. At least kids can continue to work out two more weeks

Reactions: bison13
Actually it was a good response by the PIAA. They noted the significant negatives in not having the season, then put the ball back in the governor's court.

STOP with the politics. It Is Not That Difficult!!!! It's quite easy to discuss the subject without interjecting your opinions about this or that politician.

Do you think he's afraid to shut it down?
Not even a little.
Folks get confused with how "popular" sports are and how "everyone" is up in arms over something that impacts the beloved "home team."
After about 55 years as a HS, College player, HS Coach, AD and League Administrator, I have learned this. A sports "crazy" school district or community may have active support of about 10-15 percent of the "community." A minimum of 50% of the residents, don't know and don't care if you have a team (sports) and you probably have about 20% that dislike, hate, badmouth and undermine the sports program as much as they can (led by certain faculty members, band,drama,choral, vocational and special needs parents etc.)

ADVERTISEMENT