ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State vs. Iowa Dual

PAWRESTLINGFAN1

Jun 20, 2016
I am constantly reading this forum, being a huge PS wrestling fan. But I also go on Hawkeye report on a regular basis and read their posts too. Iowa has a very solid / championship contending team this year. Thought it might be fun to look at the potential lineups and start a thread to see how everyone sees next years dual playing out. I am going to make an assumption that Cutch will be our starter at 184 and Cassar at 197, tough to determine our starters at those two weights right now.

This is how I see it ..........

125 - Suriano vs. Gilman Gilman by major dec. PS 0 - IA 4
133 - Cortez vs. Clark. Clark by maj. dec. PS 0 - IA 8
141 - Gulibon vs. Turk. Gulibon by reg. dec. PS 3 - IA 8
149 - Retherford vs. Sorenson. Retherford by maj. dec. PS 7 - IA 8
157 - Nolf vs. Kemerer. Nolf by maj. dec. PS 11 - IA 8
165 - Joseph vs. Martinelli. Joseph by dec. PS 14 - IA 8
174 - Nickel vs. Meyer. Nickel by maj. dec. PS 18 - IA 8
184 - McCutchen vs. Burak. Burak by reg. dec. PS 18 - IA 11
197 - Cassar vs. Holloway. Cassar by reg. dec. PS 21 - IA 11
HWY - Nevills vs. Stoll. Stoll by reg. dec. PS 21 - IA 14

Fun to look ahead. What does everyone else think?

Hold off on the Maj decisions at all weights. This being a dual, guys are going to wrestle strategically. Also, heard that Nolf and Kemmerer go pretty even on their feet...I just worry about Kem getting turned and him running out of gas. Then you might be right.

125-Gilman, regular dec
133-Clark, reg dec
Both PSU boys very good defensively
141-Guilbon by reg, although this could be a toss up or a MD for JG. Depends on which guy shows up
149-Zain by reg dec
157-Nolf by reg dec
165-If Marinelli, Vincenzo by reg
174-Shit if I know. Bo by pin, Alex by pin. Both guys are riverboat gamblers. Bo is better but this is hard one to pick because they are both unpredictable. Watch it be a 4-3 snoozefest haha
184-Brooks by dec
197-Toss up. Don't know a damn thing about both in college yet.
Hwy-Stoll by reg

If in Carver, match should be close. If at PSU, train could get rolling at 141.

It's fun to speculate but just so many unknowns for both teams. Ask me after Midlands.

By the Big Ten scheduling model, PSU will be at Iowa this coming season.

Hold off on the Maj decisions at all weights. This being a dual, guys are going to wrestle strategically. Also, heard that Nolf and Kemmerer go pretty even on their feet...I just worry about Kem getting turned and him running out of gas. Then you might be right.

125-Gilman, regular dec
133-Clark, reg dec
141-Guilbon by reg, although this could be a toss up or a MD for JG. Depends on which guy shows up
149-Zain by reg dec
157-Nolf by reg dec
174-Shit if I know. Bo by pin, Alex by pin. Both guys are riverboat gamblers. Bo is better but this is hard one to pick because they are both unpredictable. Watch it be a 4-3 snoozefest haha
184-Brooks by dec
Hwy-Stoll by reg

It's fun to speculate but just so many unknowns for both teams. Ask me after Midlands.
Was curious Chief, where are Kem and Nolf going at it together to know they are even on their feet?

Was curious Chief, where are Kem and Nolf going at it together to know they are even on their feet?

Over a break at their club in PA. I didn't witness it in person..:just info I heard. Same source said Nolf dominated on the mat.

Over a break at their club in PA. I didn't witness it in person..:just info I heard. Same source said Nolf dominated on the mat.
Im not disputing that so don't take it that I was. I was just unaware these guys still work out at the Young Guns Club. I'll admit I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to these things but I always just assumed once they hit college they work out mostly with the clubs their university is associated with. In this case the HWC and NLWC. And to be honest, I assumed their college coaches wouldn't want them working out with guys from rival schools that they may see in season.

So hypothetically, a kid (on redshirt) comes home on Christmas break, allegedly, for a few days and goes to get a workout in at his old club. His old buddies (yes, there was a third one) are home for a few days too from their college and are working out as well. Think the rules are different for guys that have trained together for years...plus, pretty tough not for those guys not to want to roll.

Or it could all be "meh", false info.

So hypothetically, a kid (on redshirt) comes home on Christmas break, allegedly, for a few days and goes to get a workout in at his old club. His old buddies (yes, there was a third one) are home for a few days too from their college and are working out as well. Think the rules are different for guys that have trained together for years...plus, pretty tough not for those guys not to want to roll.

Or it could all be "meh", false info.
Uhh... I don't know...that's kinda why I was asking. Familiarity tightens things up. If Nolf is better than Kem, as a coach, do I want him rolling around with him to improve the other guys chances of keeping things close or maybe even beating him? I don't think I do...

I have guys come back all of the time. Granted, they aren't competitors on D1 wrestling teams, but getting a workout is getting a workout. You don't avoid someone because they're a B10 opponent at the OTC, and you don't avoid one anywhere else. It's just a workout.

But maybe I'm alone on that.

Reactions: jtothemfp and garw
I am constantly reading this forum, being a huge PS wrestling fan. But I also go on Hawkeye report on a regular basis and read their posts too. Iowa has a very solid / championship contending team this year. Thought it might be fun to look at the potential lineups and start a thread to see how everyone sees next years dual playing out. I am going to make an assumption that Cutch will be our starter at 184 and Cassar at 197, tough to determine our starters at those two weights right now.

Good chance we see Rasheed at 184 !!!!

I have guys come back all of the time. Granted, they aren't competitors on D1 wrestling teams, but getting a workout is getting a workout. You don't avoid someone because they're a B10 opponent at the OTC, and you don't avoid one anywhere else. It's just a workout.

But maybe I'm alone on that.
Unless you're Tony Ramos. In that case, you avoid the guy in your own room... Lol

As Chief pointed out, major decisions may be slim.
25 and 33 Iowa kids are noted favorites, but it is rare for good PSU kids to lose via bonus. Iowa 6 - 0.
Jimmy should win this match. PSU 3 Iowa 6
Last time Zain and Sorenson wrestled Zain did earn a major and I really do not expect Sorenson to close any gap. A major is a likely possibility, but PSU 6 (could easily be 7) Iowa 6.
Kemerer in my estimation will finish high on the podium, but I don't see him pushing Nolf. If a major is close Jason will get it. PSU 9 (could be 11) Iowa 6.
Just my guess, if Martinelli had a year in the room this would probably be a more closely contested match. Joesph, putting distance between the two of them as the match progresses. PSU 12 (could be 14) Iowa 6.
Nickal chasing bonus at the end. PSU 15 (could be 18) Iowa 6.
Burak isn't going to be Iowa's 84 pounder a year after placing at 197 in his last year of eligibility. Sammy Brooks will be a noted favorite, but Mouse has beaten Brooks before and if Rasheed is at 84 it will be because he is better. PSU 15 (maybe 18) Iowa 9.
At 197 I have no idea if it will be Cassar, Stout or Rasheed and as Chief said I know nothing about the Iowa kid. Because I wear blue and white glasses I will give the nod to PSU. PSU 18 (could be 21) Iowa 12.
Right now I would expect Stoll to win, but depending on how Nick progresses - a heavyweight with an offense will beat Stoll. PSU 18 (could be 21) Iowa 12.

Best case for Iowa is a 5 - 5 split, but PSU is much more likely to score a bonus point or two.
Likely is PSU 6 - 4 with a bonus point or two.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
25 and 33 Iowa kids are noted favorites, but it is rare for good PSU kids to lose via bonus. Iowa 6 - 0.
Last time Zain and Sorenson wrestled Zain did earn a major and I really do not expect Sorenson to close any gap. A major is a likely possibility, but PSU 6 (could easily be 7) Iowa 6.
Kemerer in my estimation will finish high on the podium, but I don't see him pushing Nolf. If a major is close Jason will get it. PSU 9 (could be 11) Iowa 6.
Just my guess, if Martinelli had a year in the room this would probably be a more closely contested match. Joesph, putting distance between the two of them as the match progresses. PSU 12 (could be 14) Iowa 6.
Burak isn't going to be Iowa's 84 pounder a year after placing at 197 in his last year of eligibility. Sammy Brooks will be a noted favorite, but Mouse has beaten Brooks before and if Rasheed is at 84 it will be because he is better. PSU 15 (maybe 18) Iowa 9.
At 197 I have no idea if it will be Cassar, Stout or Rasheed and as Chief said I know nothing about the Iowa kid. Because I wear blue and white glasses I will give the nod to PSU. PSU 18 (could be 21) Iowa 12.
Right now I would expect Stoll to win, but depending on how Nick progresses - a heavyweight with an offense will beat Stoll. PSU 18 (could be 21) Iowa 12.

Best case for Iowa is a 5 - 5 split, but PSU is much more likely to score a bonus point or two.
Thanks for the correction with Brooks. I knew that, don't know why I typed Burak.

Uhh... I don't know...that's kinda why I was asking. Familiarity tightens things up. If Nolf is better than Kem, as a coach, do I want him rolling around with him to improve the other guys chances of keeping things close or maybe even beating him? I don't think I do...

Maybe if they were wrestling each other a few weeks from then but two were redshirts, the other was in season.

Reactions: johnstownsteel

Also depends heavily on the date of the dual. Iowa wrestlers coached by Brands tend to peak too early whereas PSU wrestlers coached by Cael tend to peak when it really counts.

125-Gilman, regular dec
133-Clark, reg dec
149-Zain by reg dec
157-Nolf by reg dec
184-Brooks by dec
Hwy-Stoll by reg

I absolutely DISAGREE with the bolded statement. May be true for the Iowa wrestlers but it won't be true for the PSU wrestlers and if you think it will you haven't been paying attention lately.

Didn't Kemerer just lose to Sorenson 4-1? Surprised that hasn't tempered some of the hype. Suffice it to say I find it very hard to believe he will hang with Nolf from neutral when it matters.

EDIT: Yep, here it is. Sorenson scored with two folk style type takedowns:

Last edited:
Didn't Kemerer just lose to Sorenson 4-1? Surprised that hasn't tempered some of the hype. Suffice it to say I find it very hard to believe he will hang with Nolf from neutral when it matters.

Flying.. Don't find it hard to believe. It's NOT happening. Michael Kemerer isn't staying with a seasoned Jason Nolf. OSU fans said that about John's son Jo Jo and Ohio State fans said that about Tom's son. Jason is going to hammer Kem Dawg for 7 minutes or less.

And Alex Myer is NOT remotely in the same class as Bo Nickel. Myer doesn't have any offense to compete with Bo. I relish the dual to prove this out. For the Love of Jesus and Penn State's offensive style of wrestling... they're NOT bringing it (offense acumen) when they didn't bring it for the 1st three finals matches at Nationals. Mysteriously... the Hawks are now going to have it when they need it? In another year? In a big match no less? When it's convenient to say so... for limp and lame arguments sake. I'm merely pointing out facts... not wild conjecture, hyperbole, wild thinking, homer like possibilities, not happening miracles, not plausible and never happening in the years Kem Dawg and Alex "Turtle" Myers go up against Jason and Bo respectfully.

If their are any Iowa fans who want to bet on the pounding Kem Dawg is going to take... I'll take that action. Oh... and the pounding that Alex Myer is going to receive from Bo... please step up.

I'm still pissed I didn't take Chief's bet on Gilman and Nico at Nationals. But I digress into non offensive wrestling again. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Flying.. Don't find it hard to believe. It's NOT happening. Michael Kemerer isn't staying with a seasoned Jason Nolf. OSU fans said that about John's son Jo Jo and Ohio State fans said that about Tom's son. Jason is going to hammer Kem Dawg for 7 minutes or less.

And Alex Myer is NOT remotely in the same class as Bo Nickel. Myer doesn't have any offense to compete with Bo. I relish the dual to prove this out. For the Love of Jesus and Penn State's offensive style of wrestling... they're NOT bringing it (offense acumen) when they didn't bring it for the 1st three matches at Nationals. Mysteriously... the Hawks are now going to have it when they need it? In another year? When it's convenient to say so... for limp and lame arguments sake. I'm merely pointing out facts... not wild conjecture, hyperbole, wild thinking, homer like possibilities, not happening miracles, not plausible and never happening in the years Kem Dawg and Alex "Turtle" Myers go up against Jason and Bo respectfully.

If their are any Iowa fans who want to bet on the pounding Kem Dawg is going to take... I'll take that action. Oh... and the pounding that Alex Myer is going to receive from Bo... please step up.

I'm still pissed I didn't take Chief's bet on Gilman and Nico at Nationals. But I digress into non offensive wrestling again. :rolleyes:

Exactly, the reason for this wild optimism is Hawk fans holding out Wild hopes because they NEED those big pts at 157 and 174 to compete with PSU at Nationals because of 141, 197 concerns. Also, some of these guys think because of the Young Guns connection they are equal, it doesn't work like that! I personally saw Vincenzo Joseph physically dominate KemDawg in high school and it was a big reason in determining the weight KemDawg wrestled senior year in high school at PIAAs. KemDawg<Cenzo<Nolf.

I personally have Huge expectations for Kemerer, I think he can and will beat anyone not named Nolf (including Jo Jo). However, I also think Nolf can and will Major Kemerer. I can't wait to see.

Also 70KG is about 154 pounds...Would any of us be surprised if Retherford was at full feed moving up to this weight to wrestle a more cutting Nolf and beat him 4-1 in Freestyle?? I wouldn't be

Just glad to see Iowa back on the schedule, and as noted it's in Iowa City in 2016-17, and back at Penn State in 2017-18. The CHA Dual has the early makings of a barnburner.

Exactly, the reason for this wild optimism is Hawk fans holding out Wild hopes because they NEED those big pts at 157 and 174 to compete with PSU at Nationals because of 141, 197 concerns. Also, some of these guys think because of the Young Guns connection they are equal, it doesn't work like that! I personally saw Vincenzo Joseph physically dominate KemDawg in high school and it was a big reason in determining the weight KemDawg wrestled senior year in high school at PIAAs. KemDawg<Cenzo<Nolf.
About time someone brings some relevant points/facts to the party. Thanks J.

Reactions: jschrantz
I personally have Huge expectations for Kemerer, I think he can and will beat anyone not named Nolf (including Jo Jo). However, I also think Nolf can and will Major Kemerer. I can't wait to see.

Also 70KG is about 154 pounds...Would any of us be surprised if Retherford was at full feed moving up to this weight to wrestle a more cutting Nolf and beat him 4-1 in Freestyle?? I wouldn't be

I think KemDawg will do well, but what have we seen to believe he's better than JoJo? I could have missed it. Not only would Kem need to be better than JoJo to compete, but Much better. I agree about Zain as well.

I absolutely DISAGREE with the bolded statement. May be true for the Iowa wrestlers but it won't be true for the PSU wrestlers and if you think it will you haven't been paying attention lately.

If the dual just had Zain, Nolf and Bo, I would agree...using past results of course because we know nothing about a few guys on both sides. However, if for example, a Suriano is on the edge of getting majored, you bet your butt he is going to turtle up and try not to give up that extra point. That's smart wrestling...for anybody. Not everybody has the offensive skill set that Zain has.

The three guys I mentioned can take chances and be ok...even if they gave up one or two TDs, they are still easily in the match because they score so many points.

BTW, what is the wild optimism in any of my posts? Where was did I go off the track? Sorensen keeping it to a regular in a dual? Not that far fetched. Kem keeping it to a regular against a former workout partner that he knows pretty well? Or both Bo and Alex being unpredictable. Even acknowledged Bonis better but that the match score will be hard to predict.

If I predict total and complete annihilation in favor of PSU=Chief is a sensible poster

If I predict a close dual=Chief being wildly optimistic

If the dual just had Zain, Nolf and Bo, I would agree...using past results of course because we know nothing about a few guys on both sides. However, if for example, a Suriano is on the edge of getting majored, you bet your butt he is going to turtle up and try not to give up that extra point. That's smart wrestling...for anybody. Not everybody has the offensive skill set that Zain has.

The three guys I mentioned can take chances and be ok...even if they gave up one or two TDs, they are still easily in the match because they score so many points.

BTW, what is the wild optimism in any of my posts? Where was did I go off the track? Sorensen keeping it to a regular in a dual? Not that far fetched. Kem keeping it to a regular against a former workout partner that he knows pretty well? Or both Bo and Alex being unpredictable. Even acknowledged Bonis better but that the match score will be hard to predict.

If I predict total and complete annihilation in favor of PSU=Chief is a sensible poster

More related to everyone on HR that thinks KemDawg is the next coming, not you Chief. It isn't happening for KemDawg like many believe that easily. He will need to be much stronger up at 157 than the guy I've seen.

More related to everyone on HR that thinks KemDawg is the next coming, not you Chief. It isn't happening for KemDawg like many believe that easily. He will need to be much stronger up at 157 than the guy I've seen.

Totally agree. It's why I advocated that Kemdawg not cut down to 66kg for juniors because he needs to get bigger. Kemerer is not in Nolf's league, but I do think he can hang with anybody else, even given the weight disparity...if there is one. If he finished top 4, it will be a great season. Especially considering that we hardly had any points from 57 last year.

Everybody is excited because he is an offense first type of guy. He has to: 1)Put on muscle 2)Not let guys get to his legs easily 3) Consistent gas tank

He's going to be just fine.

Sorry, WHERE did I say you were wildly optimistic? Those are YOUR words so you can stop with the straw man arguments. As to Suriano having to turtle up to keep from getting majored, it could happen. However, if I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath. As to Sorensen, based on prior results the only way he keeps from getting majored or worse by Zain is if he starts stalling right at the beginning of the match. It will be a great dual and being at CHA crazy things will and do happen, but based on the matchups I expect there will be a number of matches that end with bonus points. I would put the over/under at 4 or 5, so let's call it 4.5.

While this is a lot of majors for a dual, you might not be that far off and if you are, I think you are off in Iowa's favor, unfortunately for us. I think Gilman is the best 125 this year, and he might be able to get a major here, but Suriano is a tough smart wrestler, even as a true freshman against a returning finalist, a major will be hard to get as I can see Suriano at a top 3 or 4 at 125 this year. Clark, who should have the easiest time of all Iowa wrestlers to get a major, has a track record of stopping short and taking regular win vs. knowing the score and the clock and getting the points, this was witnessed several times last year at the Grapple and in the post season. He needs to change this mentality.

Would love to argue against the PSU majors, but that would be tough to do. 165 we don't even know if Alex will go this year and 197 I have no idea, which is a problem since one of these matches would need to swing for Iowa to get a 5-5 split. I will say that, while I have not seen a lot of Nevills based on last year, if Stoll can get his guy worn down and flattened out, he is good at turning and getting back pts. Not saying it will happen, but could be in the cards if Nick is not in his best wrestling shape and if Sam is. Iowa will need to dominate early, and get big performances from Brooks and Stoll but even without majors of any kind for either team, I have a hard time finding a 5th win for Iowa. So obviously Iowa wins it 18-17 ;)

By the way, great Thread. There are only so many "camp updates", "assistant coach added" and "where are they now" articles I can take.

If this is in Carver, I'd expect it to be very close.

125 - I expect Suriano to keep it close with Gilman, well relatively close. Maybe 7-2 or something. Fortunately, Suriano is in such excellent shape and has such a good gas tank that I don't think a 3rd period wilt for a major is in the cards. IA 3-0

133 - Clark - again only a decision. Cortez is excellent on the mat which helps here and Clark's pace in matches doesn't always lend itself to bonus. IA 6-0

141 - I'd hope for an easy Jimmy victory or possibly even bonus - he obviously has the talent to do this. But Jimmy is always a wild card and in this situation even more so. If the match is tight, I could definitely see an upset here, but Jimmy is favorite. IA 6-3

149 - Zain by dec. Easy victory but no bonus. This is a dual, not the NC, so you wrestle differently. Don't see Sorenson giving up bonus in this situation. TIE 6-6

157 - Nolf by major. You look at this and think I'm down on Kemerer, but I'm not. I think he will AA this year, possibly high. But if bonus is going to happen, this is where it happens. Kemerer is not Martinez strong and it's really hard to keep Nolf from scoring. 14-5 with three or four 3rd period TDs may be in the realm of possibility. Or not. PSU 10-6

165 - I know IA fans love Marinelli, but I just don't see this being close. I really think Vincenzo is right there with the very top guys at 165 - all of them. I think this is a very possible major, but it's in Carver so. PSU 13-6

174 - Nickal the favorite, but disagree strongly with above that Meyer has no offense. Meyer is just the type of guy who could pull off the occasional upset that Nickal gave up last year, especially in Carver. Of course, Nickal could pin him too. But I'll go with a Nickal decision. PSU 16-6

184 - Rasheed or Mouse, I think Brooks should be the favorite. Both have the ability to upset - McCutch has beat Brooks before, but Brooks dec PSU 16-9

197 - Unless Cassar starts wrestling and injury defaults, I think any of the PSU 3 options will get a victory here. PSU 19-9

285 - Because of Nevills injury, he has fallen behind Stoll. I don't see any offense from Stoll except against inferior guys, but with his size he should be the favorite unless Nevills makes some strides. Stoll dec PSU 19-12

Iowa with some upset possibilities at 141 and 174 - I have a hard time seeing them anywhere else. But it's Carver so I'll give them at least one of them. PSU has some opportunities for upsets as well. I think Iowa really needs to wrestle their A+ match to win and it's at Carver so I'd expect that it will be close to that effort.

Reactions: Pennstate1985

125 - I expect Suriano to keep it close with Gilman, well relatively close. Maybe 7-2 or something. Fortunately, Suriano is in such excellent shape and has such a good gas tank that I don't think a 3rd period wilt for a major is in the cards. IA 3-0

133 - Clark - again only a decision. Cortez is excellent on the mat which helps here and Clark's pace in matches doesn't always lend itself to bonus. IA 6-0

141 - I'd hope for an easy Jimmy victory or possibly even bonus - he obviously has the talent to do this. But Jimmy is always a wild card and in this situation even more so. If the match is tight, I could definitely see an upset here, but Jimmy is favorite. IA 6-3

149 - Zain by dec. Easy victory but no bonus. This is a dual, not the NC, so you wrestle differently. Don't see Sorenson giving up bonus in this situation. TIE 6-6

157 - Nolf by major. You look at this and think I'm down on Kemerer, but I'm not. I think he will AA this year, possibly high. But if bonus is going to happen, this is where it happens. Kemerer is not Martinez strong and it's really hard to keep Nolf from scoring. 14-5 with three or four 3rd period TDs may be in the realm of possibility. Or not. PSU 10-6

165 - I know IA fans love Marinelli, but I just don't see this being close. I really think Vincenzo is right there with the very top guys at 165 - all of them. I think this is a very possible major, but it's in Carver so. PSU 13-6

174 - Nickal the favorite, but disagree strongly with above that Meyer has no offense. Meyer is just the type of guy who could pull off the occasional upset that Nickal gave up last year, especially in Carver. Of course, Nickal could pin him too. But I'll go with a Nickal decision. PSU 16-6

184 - Rasheed or Mouse, I think Brooks should be the favorite. Both have the ability to upset - McCutch has beat Brooks before, but Brooks dec PSU 16-9

197 - Unless Cassar starts wrestling and injury defaults, I think any of the PSU 3 options will get a victory here. PSU 19-9

285 - Because of Nevills injury, he has fallen behind Stoll. I don't see any offense from Stoll except against inferior guys, but with his size he should be the favorite unless Nevills makes some strides. Stoll dec PSU 19-12

Iowa with some upset possibilities at 141 and 174 - I have a hard time seeing them anywhere else. But it's Carver so I'll give them at least one of them. PSU has some opportunities for upsets as well. I think Iowa really needs to wrestle their A+ match to win and it's at Carver so I'd expect that it will be close to that effort.

What he said. Except I'm bullish on Big Nick against Stoll. Nevills will have a full off-season to catch up to the level he was before the injury. Stoll is spending the off-season recuperating from knee surgery. I couldn't possibly argue for Nick based on last year's results. But I'm feeling it.

Sorry, WHERE did I say you were wildly optimistic? Those are YOUR words so you can stop with the straw man arguments.

Sorry, was reading other replies so I decided to put mine all in one. Forgot to note it...first two paragraphs are yours.

What he said. Except I'm bullish on Big Nick against Stoll. Nevills will have a full off-season to catch up to the level he was before the injury. Stoll is spending the off-season recuperating from knee surgery. I couldn't possibly argue for Nick based on last year's results. But I'm feeling it.

Agree with you. Just very cautious because of the injuries, but if you took them out of the equation and asked me who was going to be a NC between Nevills and Stoll, it's Nevills and it's not even close. Athletic, with offense. But you can't take them out of the equation and they have me worried. Now, Stoll just had a major injury, but it's his first and one that is usually easy (not easy, but pretty standard) to overcome. Nevills were foot/ankle and shoulder - two places which can be problematic.

Iowa's top three scoring wrestlers from last year couldn't score takedowns in the biggest matches of their lives at Nationals in March. Alex Meyer wasn't one of those elite three. He lost his initial bout at Nationals because he couldn't score pts than the lower seeded wrestler he wrestled. And Bo took apart anyone not named Jackson and Bo had one massive slip up against Myles Martin in the finals or he's an NCAA champ as a RS freshman. Meyer placed 8th with little to no offensive explosion. I'll take Bo by major at least or Meyer could be shown the lights as you stated.

Alex Meyer vs Bo Nickal side by side comparison in scoring pts.

http://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/comparison/12321/meyer-alex/20302/nickal-bo

Last edited:
Iowa's top three scoring wrestlers from last year couldn't score takedowns in the biggest matches of their lives at Nationals last year. Alex Meyer wasn't one of those elite three. He lost his initial bout at Nationals because he couldn't score pts. And Bo took apart anyone not named Jackson and Bo had one massive slip up against Myles Martin in the finals or he's an NCAA champ as a RS freshman. Meyer placed 8th with little to no offensive explosion. I'll take Bo by major at least or Meyer could be shown the lights.

Alex Meyer vs Bo Nickal side by side comparison in scoring pts.

http://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/comparison/12321/meyer-alex/20302/nickal-bo
I agree that Nickal is superior and said so above. Meyer is at least as good as Nate Jackson though. If you think an upset would be shocking, I disagree. I wouldn't call it, but it will be one of a couple matches I'm worried about. That said, I also posted Nickal could stick him.

He lost his initial bout at Nationals because he couldn't score pts.

He lost 10-9, I wouldn't necessarily say that his problem was not being able to score points. He also had wins by scores of 10-9, 6-2, 15-4 and 7-2 and averaged 7.4 pts per match at NCAA's. That seems a tad more than little to no offensive explosion. If you were wondering, Nickal averaged 8.6 pts per match at NCAA's.

Nickal wrestled all 6 of his matches in the championship bracket v.s only 2 for Myers.

It was actually only 5 and of those 5 matches the highest seeded wrestler he faced was the 9th seed Rogers. Meyer faced the 4,6,7,8 and 9th seeded wrestlers in the consolations.

Last edited:
If burak had been in the lineup this year.....that will come up more than once this year on the HR. your just ahead of your time with that slip.
Not redshirting Burak was a huge mistake. Iowa would have been favorites this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT