ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State offense tied for dead last in the nation in plays of 20+ yards.

You can say what you want about our offense, but if you think that this doesn't need to be improved then you don't know football.

Mildly concerning and will need to improve, but for now, we are number one in turnover margin, number one in total defense, number one in first down defense, number one in passing defense, number two in scoring defense, number one in time of possession, number 11 in scoring offense, and most importantly we are number one in winning percentage.

You can say what you want about our offense, but if you think that this doesn't need to be improved then you don't know football.

Nobody said this doesn't need to be improved. You are making that up to fit your tired worn out narrative.

You are:
The Number 1 candidate for Little Johnny one note award of the decade.
Number 1 in Beating a dead 🐴to death.
Number 1 in boring.
... and if you don't think this then you don't know boorish.

5-0.

If they led the nation you would complain because they were running it up.

Or the fact that their leading the Conference in Scoring Offense and are nearly tied for 1st in Total Offense per game (duhO$U 434.4 ypg, then PSU 430.4 ypg). They also lead the Conference in Total First Downs Gained, Red Zone Offense, RZ TDs, RZ TD Conversion Rate and Time of Possession.

Nobody said this doesn't need to be improved. You are making that up to fit your tired worn out narrative.

You are:
The Number 1 candidate for Little Johnny one note award of the decade.
Number 1 in Beating a dead 🐴to death.
Number 1 in boring.
... and if you don't think this then you don't know boorish.
Everyone in response to this has said: we're fine, we're 5-0, we lead in TOP, first downs, 2nd in total yards, 1st in rd zone percentage, etc... Why do you think that Franklin talk about explosive plays after every game, at most press conferences? Bc he knows how important they are in winning the game. 20+ yard explosive plays is extremely important. Thats why I keep bringing it up. BC if we dont fix it we're going to lose to OSU and Mich for precisely this reason.

Everyone in response to this has said: we're fine, we're 5-0, we lead in TOP, first downs, 2nd in total yards, 1st in rd zone percentage, etc... Why do you think that Franklin talk about explosive plays after every game, at most press conferences? Bc he knows how important they are in winning the game. 20+ yard explosive plays is extremely important. Thats why I keep bringing it up. BC if we dont fix it we're going to lose to OSU and Mich for precisely this reason.
Playing a safe dink and dunk offense while our run game is really struggling is not going to beat OSU and Mich. I dont care how good our defense is.

Reactions: olelion

15+, and 10+??? These are also considered chunk plays and very important as they are much more common than the longer chunk plays. I'd also be interested to see where PSU falls in 5+ yard plays - another important metric as it keeps you in front of the chains.

15+, and 10+??? These are also considered chunk plays and very important as they are much more common than the longer chunk plays. I'd also be interested to see where PSU falls in 5+ yard plays - another important metric as it keeps you in front of the chains.
Im sure that we are great statistically on 5+ yards bc we have been able to drive 15 plays for 80 yards vs inferior opponents. But thats not going to work vs OSU and Mich. If we think we are going to just run up the middle and dink and dunk in the passing game like we'e done every game we're going to lose.

And to me, when you havent done it the entire season, its hard to see us being explosive vs OSU. Just being honest.

I’m sure you were one of the guys complaining in the past that we relied on chunk plays too much and couldn’t sustain drives. No team is perfect, sorry to burst your bubble.

Again, nobody has said that PSU doesn't need to improve in regards to generating more chunk-plays. However, you are singularly focused on this issue to the exclusion of all other extremely positive stats. There is not high correlation to winning a single game by out 20+ yard playing your opponent. Guess what one of the highest Correlation Stats is to winning? - it would be the "Net YPP"(Yards Per Play Gained minus Yards Per Play Surrendered), teams well over 1+ Net YPP within a single game win almost 80% of the time (doesn't sound like a lot, but +1 Net means you outgained the other team by 1/2 the total number of plays run by both teams.). PSU is 3rd in the Conference in this Statistic at +1.5 Net YPP.

Net First Downs also an extremely highly correlated Statistic within a game to winning - specifically, teams that out 1st Down their opponents by 25%+ win an extremely high percentage of the time. PSU leads the Conference in Net First Downs at +14 (~225% of First Downs Surrendered [11.6]). scUM is second at +10 (190% of First Downs Surrendered [11.2]). duhO$U 3rd at +6 (139% of First Downs Surrendered [15.8]).

Another extremely highly correlated stat is Turnover Margin within a game. PSU leads the entire Nation in Net Turnover Margin at +2.20 per game (and PSU's Offense leads the nation in Turnovers Surrendered with 1 turnover through 5 games - only one other team has only 1 turnover, Oregon.).

Teams converting the highest percentage of their possessions into TDs is also extremely highly correlated to winning (IOW, even within a game, the team that converts more possessions into TDs almost always wins) - this stat is extremely highly correlated to Red Zone offense as well. PSU leads the Conference averaging 5 TDs per game - scUM 2nd at 4.5 TDs/game. duhO$U well down list at 3.8.

Your singular focus on +20 yard plays as the evaluator is pretty absurd as there is no proof that the team who generates more +20 yard plays wins (there are probably many games where the team generating more lost in games where very few are recorded.... I believe Delaware beat us in this Statistic and didn't come remotely close to winning.

I’m sure you were one of the guys complaining in the past that we relied on chunk plays too much and couldn’t sustain drives. No team is perfect, sorry to burst your bubble.
You can have a little bit of a balance there you know. Is dead last in the country in 20+ yard plays acceptable to you?

Again, nobody has said that PSU doesn't need to improve in regards to generating more chunk-plays. However, you are singularly focused on this issue to the exclusion of all other extremely positive stats. There is not high correlation to winning a single game by out 20+ yard playing your opponent. Guess what one of the highest Correlation Stats is to winning? - it would be the "Net YPP"(Yards Per Play Gained minus Yards Per Play Surrendered), teams well over 1+ Net YPP within a single game win almost 80% of the time (doesn't sound like a lot, but +1 Net means you outgained the other team by 1/2 the total number of plays run by both teams.). PSU is 3rd in the Conference in this Statistic at +1.5 Net YPP.

Net First Downs also an extremely highly correlated Statistic within a game to winning - specifically, teams that out 1st Down their opponents by 25%+ win an extremely high percentage of the time. PSU leads the Conference in Net First Downs at +14 (~225% of First Downs Surrendered [11.6]). scUM is second at +10 (190% of First Downs Surrendered [11.2]). duhO$U 3rd at +6 (139% of First Downs Surrendered [15.8]).

Another extremely highly correlated stat is Turnover Margin within a game. PSU leads the entire Nation in Net Turnover Margin at +2.20 per game (and PSU's Offense leads the nation in Turnovers Surrendered with 1 turnover through 5 games - only one other team has only 1 turnover, Oregon.).

Teams converting the highest percentage of their possessions into TDs is also extremely highly correlated to winning (IOW, even within a game, the team that converts more possessions into TDs almost always wins) - this stat is extremely highly correlated to Red Zone offense as well. PSU leads the Conference averaging 5 TDs per game - scUM 2nd at 4.5 TDs/game. duhO$U well down list at 3.8.

Your singular focus on +20 yard plays as the evaluator is pretty absurd as there is no proof that the team who generates more +20 yard plays wins (there are probably many games where the team generating more lost in games where very few are recorded.... I believe Delaware beat us in this Statistic and didn't come remotely close to winning.
The main reason why I'm so focused on it is bc we can't run the damn ball. If we could actually run the ball then we wouldn't have to be so explosive. I don't see how you think that we can be successful vs OSU and Mich when we can't run the ball and have no explosive plays. You think we're going to consistently drive the ball on Mich and OSU with little 5/7 yard passes? Completing 3rd down after 3rd down like we have vs inferior competition? I dont see it.

Dont get me wrong I still think we can beat OSU bc of our defense but it would be by a score of 17-14 or something.

The main reason why I'm so focused on it is bc we can't run the damn ball. If we could actually run the ball then we wouldn't have to be so explosive. I don't see how you think that we can be successful vs OSU and Mich when we can't run the ball and have no explosive plays. You think we're going to consistently drive the ball on Mich and OSU with little 5/7 yard passes? Completing 3rd down after 3rd down like we have vs inferior competition? I dont see it.

Dont get me wrong I still think we can beat OSU bc of our defense but it would be by a score of 17-14 or something.
25th in rushing offense, tied for 12th in tackles for loss allowed. We're running the ball fine just not making explosive plays.

If people would actually acknowledge the issue and talk about how we can actually fix it, that would be a good discussion.

People on here cant even acknowledge the issue of our explosive plays eventhough we are dead last in the country. No wonder so many people have left this site, people cant even acknowledge that a stat in which PSU is dead last in the nation in, is a problem.

The fact that we are scoring as many points as we are without explosive plays is not a bad thing.
..and our major problems over the years have not been lack of explosive plays but inability to get 2-3 yards at critical times. This team is a slower moving tank. I think that is a good thing...for now.

Again, the statistics say you're wrong - PSU has run for 195 YPG. PSU leads the Conference in First Downs and fully 1/2 of their First Downs not by penalty are via the run. PSU leads the Conference in RZ Offense Overall, RZ TDs (22) and RZ TD Conversion Rate (Converting 85% of their 26 RZ Trips into TDs) - 13 (60%) of the league leading 22 RZ TDs are via the run. So while PSU's Rushing YPC is average (not horrible), their average Rushing YPG (195 ypg) is 25th in the Country and 3rd in B1G, PSU has done a very good job of limiting negative rushing plays and consistently gaining 3-5 yards, especially when they need them to convert first Downs (PSU has an excellent 3rd & 4th Down Conversion Ratio) and RZ Opportunities (as opposed to duhO$U, who truly has struggled with a consistent running game as evidenced by duhO$U having one of the worst RZ Offenses - especially RZ TD Conversion Rate - as well as having bad 3rd & 4th Down Conversion Rates).

duhO$U's defense is also not as good as PSU's - they're surrendering 16 First Downs a game (PSU and scUM only surrendering just over 11).

You say PSU has struggled to run the ball, which is false as evidenced by their 195 Rushing YPG - they've struggled to break off 10+ yard runs, but have consistently generated 3-5 yards and.... converted First Downs, RZ First Downs and RZ TDs.

Again, the statistics say you're wrong - PSU has run for 195 YPG. PSU leads the Conference in First Downs and fully 1/2 of their First Downs not by penalty are via the run. PSU leads the Conference in RZ Offense Overall, RZ TDs (22) and RZ TD Conversion Rate (Converting 85% of their 26 RZ Trips into TDs) - 13 (60%) of the league leading 22 RZ TDs are via the run. So while PSU's Rushing YPC is average (not horrible), their average Rushing YPG (195 ypg) is 25th in the Country and 3rd in B1G, PSU has done a very good job of limiting negative rushing plays and consistently gaining 3-5 yards, especially when they need them to convert first Downs (PSU has an excellent 3rd & 4th Down Conversion Ratio) and RZ Opportunities (as opposed to duhO$U, who truly has struggled with a consistent running game as evidenced by duhO$U having one of the worst RZ Offenses - especially RZ TD Conversion Rate - as well as having bad 3rd & 4th Down Conversion Rates).

duhO$U's defense is also not as good as PSU's - they're surrendering 16 First Downs a game (PSU and scUM only surrendering just over 11).

You say PSU has struggled to run the ball, which is false as evidenced by their 195 Rushing YPG - they've struggled to break off 10+ yard runs, but have consistently generated 3-5 yards and.... converted First Downs, RZ First Downs and RZ TDs.
You are not taking into account the fact of opposing defenses being so worn down in the 2nd half bc of their own offenses getting constant 3 and outs.

The only time that we have been able to run has been in 2nd halfs. OSU and Mich are not going to be getting 3 and outs every drive, and their defenses will not be as tired, and they have more depth as well. How do our 1st half rushing stats look? Atrocious.

We are not going to be able to run consistently vs OSU and Mich, that I am sure of. We need to find other ways to score and stretch the field.

People who say that we are running the ball fine are not paying attention.

You keep putting words into people's mouths that were never said - you're a bit of an asshole in that regard. Nobody is debating that PSU can't do much better especially in regards to breaking off more 10+ yard runs (which requires OL to do a better job of getting to "2nd level blocks" as CJF has stated many times on the topic), but you're statement that we've struggled to run the ball for consistent "plus yard plays" (i.e., 4 or more yards) is inane given that we're averaging 195 Rushing YPG.... leading the Conference in First Downs and RZ Offense.

Reactions: psu1969a

They may be able to beat OSU. But they will be between a 5-10 pt underdog

You are not taking into account the fact of opposing defenses being so worn down in the 2nd half bc of their own offenses getting constant 3 and outs.

The only time that we have been able to run has been in 2nd halfs. OSU and Mich are not going to be getting 3 and outs every drive, and their defenses will not be as tired, and they have more depth as well. How do our 1st half rushing stats look? Atrocious.

We are not going to be able to run consistently vs OSU and Mich, that I am sure of. We need to find other ways to score and stretch the field.
And where do you coach? Love your prognostication of how the games with OSU and MU will be played. Last time I checked you had to actually play the game to decide the winner!

How Dare You Greta GIF

You can have a little bit of a balance there you know. Is dead last in the country in 20+ yard plays acceptable to you?
What you haven’t addressed is how is OSU going to beat us without having a running game because theirs isn’t any better than ours. They scored 17 points against the only decent defense they’ve played, so they have issues too.

WHAT? I only played HS football, but I do know that the idea of the game is to score more points than your opponent. How you do it doesn't really matter.

He continues to ignore the fact that "generating more 20 yard plays than your opponent" (Net 20 yard+ plays) is not highly correlated to winning a game. Out First Downing your Opponent by a wide margin ("Net First Downs) DOES! PSU has the best Net First Down Ratio in Conference at +14 per game (25.6 First Downs per game) and 225% the number of First Downs their opponents generate (11.6 per game). duhO$U has struggled to convert 3rd and 4th Down plays (especially in RZ - they've turned the ball over on Downs on 3 of their 17 trips - nearly 20% of trips!) as well as to convert an awful ratio of RZ Trips into TDs - duhO$U has only converted 9 of 17 RZ trips (only Iowa's RZ TD Conversion Ratio is worse at 8 TDs on 17 RZ Trips). duhO$U has the second least RZ TDs in the league with only 9 (for Comparison purposes, PSU leads the league in RZ TDs 22 [4.4 per game] and has converted 22 of 26 RZ Trips into TDs for a RZ TD Conversion Rate of 85% [also a league leading #]), but according to doopy here, duhO$U has the better offense / run game.... duhO$U has only averaged a Net First Down Ratio of +6 against a crappy average schedule and given up 16 First Downs per game to opponents..... But he's a self-proclaimed football expert..... LMAO.

Reactions: psu1969a
People who say that we are running the ball fine are not paying attention.
While this is true, we have not been challenged too much either. I think NW into the third was hardest thus far but we took control on methodical first drive to start 3rd. We also have big QB who can push pile for 1-2 yards. It is vanilla and some concerns but honestly I do believe MY is limiting playbook. Theo Johnson is a weapon in receiving but liability on run blocking. He has not been involved on offense much. I have to think that MY is going to surprise UM with TE passing. If we get people on heels, worried about pass then run will open up. Getting Tre Wallace back will get us that 2nd receiver too. That is the hope.

Or the fact that their leading the Conference in Scoring Offense and are nearly tied for 1st in Total Offense per game (duhO$U 434.4 ypg, then PSU 430.4 ypg). They also lead the Conference in Total First Downs Gained, Red Zone Offense, RZ TDs, RZ TD Conversion Rate and Time of Possession.

True. This is a different offense. This offense has some flaws but it is probably better suited to keep osu and um off the field ànd might give psu a better chance to win. I would like to see a deep threat and a more consistent running game.

True. This is a different offense. This offense has some flaws but it is probably better suited to keep osu and um off the field ànd might give psu a better chance to win. I would like to see a deep threat and a more consistent running game.
In order for that to happen, they're going to have to have better starts to games, especially on the road, because it's going to be almost impossible to wear out the OSU and Michigan defenses under the best of circumstances. This means that at the very least, even we don't score, we get at least a first down or two on the first half drives to put our defense in a better positon on a long field. If you give Michigan and even OSU short fields, they're going to score, and often they're going to score tds.

It's weird that most at least acknowledge there's some realistic concern with it but are also mad at people are concerned with it.
When you’re undefeated and have the longest streak in country scoring 30 or more you are doing something right. I’m perfectly fine winning this way. We won the other way in 2016 and defense was always on field and lost rose bowl because of it. Ball control with no turnovers and a strong defense wins

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT