ADVERTISEMENT

PSU leads the nation in Total Defense - surrendering a sub-200 193.7 Yards Per Game!

When I discussed defense and ST you ignored field position and focused on TDs. Correct the schedules aren't identical and you have to account for that instead of pretend the average exists in a vacuum.

You've ignored field position with regards to impact on yardage. Although I'm sure you'll now educate us all on how being "gifted" good field position by defense and special teams doesn't impact the opportunities to rack up yardage on offense.

Everything the offense and defense does is impacted by what the other does. They aren't playing two different games. If an offense can't stay on the field the defense gets tired and performance suffers. It goes both ways.

Reactions: dswartz
WTF are you talking about bozo - nowhere did I say we'd win by 50. Not even close. PSU's Offensive and Defensive stats are slightly better than duhO$U's - both teams numbers are elite. Given that their national elite stats have been built against completely different schedules - the stats say very little as to who will win or by how much. More than anything, they say it should be a great game that is more likely to be low-scoring if it remains close. duhO$U having home-field advantage is the big "intangible" so it makes sense that they are favored by 3 - 5 points.

You really are a dipshit with this typical nonsensical bullshit.
When did you decide to take lando off ignore Bushwood?

You've ignored field position with regards to impact on yardage. Although I'm sure you'll now educate us all on how being "gifted" good field position by defense and special teams doesn't impact the opportunities to rack up yardage on offense.

Everything the offense and defense does is impacted by what the other does. They aren't playing two differen games. If an offense can't stay on the field the defense gets tired and performance suffers. It goes both ways.
They do impact each other. That's absolutely true. Sure it impacts the ability to gain yards but that's why PPG is misleading as well. Along with the quality of opponents. If it goes both ways why were you disputing it?

• Haha
Reactions: dswartz
When did you decide to take lando off ignore Bushwood?
And why can't he answer my question about where is Ohio State better than us? A three year old could have responded WRs without a second thought.

Also most don't actually have me on ignore. They just want the attention of saying they do. Gotta fit in lol

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
scUM is #2 in the nation but has surrendered 233.1 Yards Per Game (almost 40 yards more per game which is a ton more considering how low these numbers are - a full 20% more).

PSU also leads the nation in Passing Defense only surrendering 121.2 Passing YPG. PSU is #2 in the nation in Rushing Defense only surrendering 72.5 Rushing YPG. PSU leads the nation in Sacks (27 Total, 4.5 Per Game).

PSU defense leads the nation in First Downs Surrendered Per Game (11). The list goes on and on - statistically speaking this is the best Penn State Defense quite possibly since 1986.
There are only 3 statistics. They are W/L, Points scored, Points against. PSU is doing just fine in all three

Reactions: bourbon n blues
scUM is #2 in the nation but has surrendered 233.1 Yards Per Game (almost 40 yards more per game which is a ton more considering how low these numbers are - a full 20% more).

PSU also leads the nation in Passing Defense only surrendering 121.2 Passing YPG. PSU is #2 in the nation in Rushing Defense only surrendering 72.5 Rushing YPG. PSU leads the nation in Sacks (27 Total, 4.5 Per Game).

PSU defense leads the nation in First Downs Surrendered Per Game (11). The list goes on and on - statistically speaking this is the best Penn State Defense quite possibly since 1986.
I think a stat flashed that it was farther back than 86. Maybe 78?

PSU wins if they hold OSU under 200 yds but that's unlikely. OSU had 366 yds vs ND and 382 yds vd MD.

PSU wins if they hold OSU under 200 yds but that's unlikely. OSU had 366 yds vs ND and 382 yds vd MD.

Ball control offense. Defense going between pressure and zones. We have to hold up vs the run early, though Day has not shown a penchant for running enough yet. Allar has to maintain his ball protection. Buckeyes are going to try to lure him into bad throws. Minimally we blow one pass blocking set and they get a free rusher; can't fumble that and give it away.

Everything the offense and defense does is impacted by what the other does. They aren't playing two different games. If an offense can't stay on the field the defense gets tired and performance suffers. It goes both ways.

He keeps ignoring that PSU's Total Offense numbers are very similar to duhO$U's (443 to 427). However, PSU averages a lot more First Downs. PSU has 17 Rushing TDs - duhO$U 12. PSU has 15 Passing TDs and 0 INTs - duhO$U has 13 Passing TDs and 2 INTs.

Brainiac apparently believes Defense has anything to do with Offensive Yards or PSU being an infinitely more efficient Offense as the RZ Numbers demonstrate as well.

• Love
And scUM has played #125 ECU, #52 UNLV, #124 BGSU, #109 Rutgers, #102 Nebraska, #119 Minn and #118 Indiana. LMFAO - you go out of your way to denigrate PSU's performance - could you explain how PSU's overall defensive numbers are better than scUM's despite playing a superior schedule???
He isn't denigrating the defense. He is being objective about the competition so far and he didn't include the stats of the Mighty Fighting Blue Hens because they are 1-AA. Statistics are misleading and we all know that. Acknowledging as much doesn't make anyone a hater.

He keeps ignoring that PSU's Total Offense numbers are very similar to duhO$U's (443 to 427). However, PSU averages a lot more First Downs. PSU has 17 Rushing TDs - duhO$U 12. PSU has 15 Passing TDs and 0 INTs - duhO$U has 13 Passing TDs and 2 INTs.

Brainiac apparently believes Defense has anything to do with Offensive Yards or PSU being an infinitely more efficient Offense as the RZ Numbers demonstrate as well.
I don't think he understands why red zone efficiency is important. Yards gained within the red zone are more difficult to make given the smaller area in which to run the offense.

I don't think he understands why red zone efficiency is important. Yards gained within the red zone are more difficult to make given the smaller area in which to run the offense.

Exactly. duhO$U only has 14 TDs on 23 RZ trips - 61% (PSU has converted 27 of 33 RZ Trips into TDs - 82%). duhO$U has turned the turned the possession over 4 times in the RZ on those 23 Trips (3 on Downs and a fumble) - PSU has not turned over a possession without at least attempting a FG - PSU is 4-6 FGA on their 6 RZ trips they didn't score a TD on.

• Love
Exactly. duhO$U only has 14 TDs on 23 RZ trips - 61% (PSU has converted 27 of 33 RZ Trips into TDs - 82%). duhO$U has turned the turned the possession over 4 times in the RZ on those 23 Trips (3 on Downs and a fumble) - PSU has not turned over a possession without at least attempting a FG - PSU is 4-6 FGA on their 6 RZ trips they didn't score a TD on.
Now factor in SOS
You're trying too hard to pretend that we're far superior
Still waiting for one area where you can admit Ohio State is better than us...

Based on what? What lead you to this assumption considering I've said nothing remotely close to what you're claiming

If we're very similar why do you keep claiming we're better when you consider SOS?

WTF are you talking about bozo - nowhere did I say we'd win by 50. Not even close. PSU's Offensive and Defensive stats are slightly better than duhO$U's - both teams numbers are elite. Given that their national elite stats have been built against completely different schedules - the stats say very little as to who will win or by how much. More than anything, they say it should be a great game that is more likely to be low-scoring if it remains close. duhO$U having home-field advantage is the big "intangible" so it makes sense that they are favored by 3 - 5 points.

You really are a dipshit with this typical nonsensical bullshit.
Why do you have such a potty mouth?

Reactions: Eph97
Huh? I think we win and would be disappointed if we lose. I'm just not pretending we're far better.

You have the audacity to question everyone and everything that might imply we're even slightly better. Every statistic in our favor is misleading. Based on Ohio State's sos there is no possible way we are better and we're absolutely f'd based on everything you say. If we lose you will 100% be here to say you told everyone so.

• Haha
You have the audacity to question everyone and everything that might imply we're even slightly better. Every statistic in our favor is misleading. Based on Ohio State's sos there is no possible way we are better and we're absolutely f'd based on everything you say. If we lose you will 100% be here to say you told everyone so.

I like how he goes out of his way to constantly diminish PSU's accomplishments..... PSU leads the nation in stat after stat and 100% of his posts are dedicated to diminishing the stats (often time with complete bullshit that numerous people have called him out on). He's gone out of his way to attempt to diminish PSU's wins (while at the same time trying to talk up teams like ECU or Maryland..... right before one of the worst teams in the b1g West handles Maryland pretty easy - Maryland is not a good team, but he spent a week telling us it was an impressive win by duhO$U "and better than any win PSU has".... blah, blah, blah.......). He's a huge PSU fan but he spends 100% of his posts diminishing PSU accomplishments and opponents - go figure. [Insert eyeroll].

How am I saying I told you so when I picked us to win? The problem is you're unwilling or unable to give an honest assessment and are cherrypicking stats to prove an assessment that doesn't exist. We're not better offensively but we're comparable. We are better defensively just slightly. Simple concepts if you aren't delusional

I like how he goes out of his way to constantly diminish PSU's accomplishments..... PSU leads the nation in stat after stat and 100% of his posts are dedicated to diminishing the stats (often time with complete bullshit that numerous people have called him out on). He's gone out of his way to attempt to diminish PSU's wins (while at the same time trying to talk up teams like ECU or Maryland..... right before one of the worst teams in the b1g West handles Maryland pretty easy - Maryland is not a good team, but he spent a week telling us it was an impressive win by duhO$U "and better than any win PSU has".... blah, blah, blah.......). He's a huge PSU fan but he spends 100% of his posts diminishing PSU accomplishments and opponents - go figure. [Insert eyeroll].
You're hysterical

PSU needs to keep them out of the end zone, Illinois and WV put up similar yard totals as ND and MD, or close to that. 308 vs WV and 354 vs Illinois. They have up 15 and 13 points respectively.

PSU needs to keep them out of the end zone, Illinois and WV put up similar yard totals as ND and MD, or close to that. 308 vs WV and 354 vs Illinois. They have up 15 and 13 points respectively.

except for the fact that half of WVU's and Illinois' yardage was put up after the game was out of reach (for instance, Illinois gained 130 yards in their last 2 drives when PSU was playing 2s, 3s and even 4s).

you're a moron...normally don't insult people on their own board, but your posting history calls for it..stats are not the end all be all, however, if that is how you get down, you may want to include the fact that in every game this year, Michigan had pulled all the defensive starters by the start of the fourth quarter, going so far as to have 3rd string guys and true freshmen rotate in during the last 15 minutes of the game...at Minnesota, 74 of 75 players that travelled played..
Are you actually implying that Penn State was still playing our Defensive Starters in the 4th Quarter of our blowout victories over Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Delaware and UMass? Clearly that is what you are implying meaning that you are the actual moron because you're wrong. Such a clueless post.

except for the fact that half of WVU's and Illinois' yardage was put up after the game was out of reach (for instance, Illinois gained 130 yards in their last 2 drives when PSU was playing 2s, 3s and even 4s).
Agreed, but all stats counts. Massachusetts had only 20 some first half yards for example. We know what happened there. If we hold onto the ball and make breaks via the return game or TOs we will do fine.

Reactions: bdgan
Are you actually implying that Penn State was still playing our Defensive Starters in the 4th Quarter of our blowout victories over Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Delaware and UMass? Clearly that is what you are implying meaning that you are the actual moron because you're wrong. Such a clueless post.
no, i clearly stated i was referencing Michigan, thx anyway

I read that PSUs red zone defense is last - LAST - in the nation.

Well the percentages get a little skewed when opponents have only made it into the Red Zone 7 times. The next lowest number is 16.
I posted my message to more or less poke fun at the number of threads quoting a few stats and then have endless arguments about whether that makes one team better than another or not. It’s all pointless/mindless drivel. Only one stat matters: W-L record.

So far, so good. I hope they keep it up.

And skewed by our SOS. Did you adjust for SOS?
Are you pretending the offenses we've played this year being garbage aren't a factor in that number or aren't you capable of comprehending simple things? Still impressive but this is exactly my point. You refuse to analyze data.

I read that PSUs red zone defense is last - LAST - in the nation.

Really? Depends on how you read them. Most go by RZ Points Surrendered - PSU has surrendered less RZ Points (41) than any team in the Conference except scUM (13). duhO$U for instance has given up 55 RZ points.

Number of RZ Trips Allowed is also an important metric PSU #1 (only 7 RZ Trips Allowed thru 6 games). scUM #2 with 9 trips allowed. duhO$U #3 with 13 trips allowed.

In addition, at least half of PSU's RZ Trips Allowed (and scores) were late in the game after the game had been determined against PSU's 2s, 3s and even 4s.

Are you pretending the offenses we've played this year being garbage aren't a factor in that number or aren't you capable of comprehending simple things? Still impressive but this is exactly my point. You refuse to analyze data.

You’re not thinking clearly if you think we’re going to win. Look at the sos.

Right about what? You don't take positions on anything, you just tell people how they're wrong.
How don't I take positions on things?
You know I'm right that you're ignoring the SOS involved in the data you're providing because it has a negative impact to what you want to sell. You don't actually want to discuss anything--you just want to ramble nonsense and for everyone to pretend you're right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT