ADVERTISEMENT

PSU leads the nation in Total Defense - surrendering a sub-200 193.7 Yards Per Game!

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
scUM is #2 in the nation but has surrendered 233.1 Yards Per Game (almost 40 yards more per game which is a ton more considering how low these numbers are - a full 20% more).

PSU also leads the nation in Passing Defense only surrendering 121.2 Passing YPG. PSU is #2 in the nation in Rushing Defense only surrendering 72.5 Rushing YPG. PSU leads the nation in Sacks (27 Total, 4.5 Per Game).

PSU defense leads the nation in First Downs Surrendered Per Game (11). The list goes on and on - statistically speaking this is the best Penn State Defense quite possibly since 1986.

Just to put things in perspective. Offensive ranks of who we've played

WVU 78
Illinois 82
UMass 87
Northwestern 119
Iowa 130 (worst in the country)

We have an elite defense but we've played absolutely no one capable offensively

We'll see how good we are against Ohio State (33), Maryland (45) and Michigan (54) will prove how elite this defense is. Very optimistic but let's look at the whole picture. When WVU is the best offense we've played and they have inflated numbers due to Duquesne and playing in the Big XII.

Just to put things in perspective. Offensive ranks of who we've played

WVU 78
Illinois 82
UMass 87
Northwestern 119
Iowa 130 (worst in the country)

We have an elite defense but we've played absolutely no one capable offensively

We'll see how good we are against Ohio State (33), Maryland (45) and Michigan (54) will prove how elite this defense is. Very optimistic but let's look at the whole picture. When WVU is the best offense we've played and they have inflated numbers due to Duquesne and playing in the Big XII.

And scUM has played #125 ECU, #52 UNLV, #124 BGSU, #109 Rutgers, #102 Nebraska, #119 Minn and #118 Indiana. LMFAO - you go out of your way to denigrate PSU's performance - could you explain how PSU's overall defensive numbers are better than scUM's despite playing a superior schedule???

Reactions: dswartz
Since OSU is this week's opponent, I'd prefer to focus on them rather than UMich. Not sure if below helps but the rankings are from NCAA.org. I did not include YSU/Delaware into the rankings or score average. Clearly, we have played against some bad, bad offenses.

Ohio State – Offense - #32 / Defense - #7
Offense #Defense #Score
Indiana1186723-3
Youngstown State35-7
Western Kentucky6912663-10
Notre Dame531417-14
Maryland443637-17
Purdue849041-7
Average rankings/score746736-10

Penn State – Offense - #42 / Defense - #1
Offense #Defense #Score
West Virginia784538-15
Delaware63-7
Illinois839730-13
Iowa1302731-0
Northwestern1205541-13
UMass8712063-0
Average rankings/score1006941-8

And scUM has played #125 ECU, #52 UNLV, #124 BGSU, #109 Rutgers, #102 Nebraska, #119 Minn and #118 Indiana. LMFAO - you go out of your way to denigrate PSU's performance - could you explain how PSU's overall defensive numbers are better than scUM's despite playing a superior schedule???
I said nothing about Michigan other than their offensive rank

you're a moron...normally don't insult people on their own board, but your posting history calls for it..stats are not the end all be all, however, if that is how you get down, you may want to include the fact that in every game this year, Michigan had pulled all the defensive starters by the start of the fourth quarter, going so far as to have 3rd string guys and true freshmen rotate in during the last 15 minutes of the game...at Minnesota, 74 of 75 players that travelled played..
Likewise has PSU.

lol, i'll let you guys debate, i've watched all of psu's games, but not as in depth as a psu fan..;)

Since OSU is this week's opponent, I'd prefer to focus on them rather than UMich. Not sure if below helps but the rankings are from NCAA.org. I did not include YSU/Delaware into the rankings or score average. Clearly, we have played against some bad, bad offenses.

Offense #Defense #Score
Indiana1186723-3
Youngstown State35-7
Notre Dame531417-14
Maryland443637-17
Purdue849041-7

Offense #Defense #Score
West Virginia784538-15
Delaware63-7
Illinois839730-13
Iowa1302731-0
Northwestern1205541-13
UMass8712063-0
And I think this does an excellent job of illustrating just how close these two teams are to each other on paper. Almost identical when factor in the rankings.

Reactions: djm_psu_alum
The secondary and DE's are playing lights out. I'm concerned with the middle of the DL, especially when we play UM. They destroyed us last year and not much has changed with our DT's

Absolutely not true.

Skipped Delaware and UMass for obvious reasons, but #TrueStory.

And I think this does an excellent job of illustrating just how close these two teams are to each other on paper. Almost identical when factor in the rankings.
Thanks. It is close but what's not shown and my concerning factors for the game:
  • Coaching -- both prepping and in-game
    • Some folks continue to believe the playbook has been held back so as not to tip off OSU and even Mich. Maybe there's a few wrinkles in play-calling but by this point we are who we are.
    • As for in-game, Franklin has had 4Q leads vs OSU in 2017, 2018, and 2022. I'm not anti-Franklin, I'm just not seeing a great track record of closing out an elite team.
  • Our defense has been so dominant, it's hard to know how they will react when punched in the nose a few times. I think OSU goes for and gets some chunk plays. Can they adjust after being on their heels for 2 or 3 consecutive drives.
  • With every possession important, can the offense avoid a slow start?
  • Will we get the lucky bounces?

Reactions: LandoComando
The only stat that matters is the final score on Saturday vs Ohio state. Lose that game and no statistic will matter.

There are no stats there's only knocking Brutus's marbles so loose he starts asking for Ryan Day's Vax card. It's gonna be 1912 all over again. It's gonna be the exact the fuk opposite of an ex-fatboy turkey neck John Goodman fanmule commercial.

Offense #Defense #Score
Indiana1186723-3
Youngstown State35-7
Notre Dame531417-14
Maryland443637-17
Purdue849041-7

Offense #Defense #Score
West Virginia784538-15
Delaware63-7
Illinois839730-13
Iowa1302731-0
Northwestern1205541-13
UMass8712063-0

As has duhO$U, the average D1A offense they've played against is 74th in the nation in Total Offense. So both team's statistics have benefited from playing awful offensive teams, yet PSU is holding teams to 194 yards and only 11 First Downs per game - both best in the nation. duhO$U is giving up 264 yards and 17 First Downs per game.

But you choose to cast shade on PSU's nation-leading stats -- things that make you go hhhhmmm.....

Offense #Defense #Score
Indiana1186723-3
Youngstown State35-7
Notre Dame531417-14
Maryland443637-17
Purdue849041-7

Offense #Defense #Score
West Virginia784538-15
Delaware63-7
Illinois839730-13
Iowa1302731-0
Northwestern1205541-13
UMass8712063-0

Not sure why people value YPG over PPG since points are how you win...

We have the #5 scoring offense (tied with Washington) at 44.3 PPG.
OSU is #20 at 36 PPG.

Scoring defense we're 2 and osu is 3.

The secondary and DE's are playing lights out. I'm concerned with the middle of the DL, especially when we play UM. They destroyed us last year and not much has changed with our DT's

Is that why we're #2 in the nation in run defense only giving up 72.5 Rushing YPG and 2.40 YPC (also #2 in nation) - because the DTs have played poorly? Some of you people crack me up.... and this type of post is passed off as insightful... [insert eyeroll].

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
Not sure why people value YPG over PPG since points are how you win...

We have the #5 scoring offense (tied with Washington) at 44.3 PPG.
OSU is #20 at 36 PPG.

Scoring defense we're 2 and osu is 3.
PPG is typically directly impacted by defense and STs--for example the two punt return TDs

PPG is typically directly impacted by defense and STs--for example the two punt return TDs

Ummmm..... yeah, PPG is also heavily impacted by Redzone Offense Performance. PSU has converted 27 of 33 Redzone Trips into TDs (82% TD Conversion Rate) and is 4-6 FG Attempts on the other 6 trips. Conversely, duhO$U has converted 14 of 23 RZ Trips into TDs (61%), is 5/5 FG attempts and turned the ball over with no points on the other 4 RZ possessions (1 by fumble and the other 3 on downs!). So there's that in terms of impacting score....

Reactions: dswartz
Ummmm..... yeah, PPG is also heavily impacted by Redzone Offense Performance. PSU has converted 27 of 33 Redzone Trips into TDs (82% TD Conversion Rate) and is 4-6 FG Attempts on the other 6 trips. Conversely, duhO$U has converted 14 of 23 RZ Trips into TDs (61%), is 5/5 FG attempts and turned the ball over with no points on the other 4 RZ possessions (1 by fumble and the other 3 on downs!). So there's that in terms of impacting score....
Right...what does any of that have to do with what I said?

Is that why we're #2 in the nation in run defense only giving up 72.5 Rushing YPG and 2.40 YPC (also #2 in nation) - because the DTs have played poorly? Some of you people crack me up.... and this type of post is passed off as insightful... [insert eyeroll].
We haven't played a team like UM who last year had about "535 yards rushing" against the same DT's. There two RB's had about 350 yards alone rushing against us, and our two who are suppose to be the best in the nation had "35 yards rushing" against UM. And, nothing has changed with our DL. Wake up and face the stats my friend, learn something.

Come back after the UM game. If we keep their running game in check, I will be the first give them their do. UM is not "UMass" for god's sake, or NW, or Iowa, or WVA, not even close!

Or Delaware!!!

We haven't played a team like UM who last year had about "535 yards rushing" against the same DT's. There two RB's had about 350 yards alone rushing against us, and our two who are suppose to be the best in the nation had "35 yards rushing" against UM. And, nothing has changed with our DL. Wake up and face the stats my friend, learn something.

Come back after the UM game. If we keep their running game in check, I will be the first give them their do. UM is not "UMass" for god's sake, or NW, or Iowa, or WVA, not even close!

Complete nonsense that everything is the same as last year - utter tripe and bullshit. We started last year UNRANKED and extremely young. Several players emerged last year - we played scUM in our 6th game last year. Our defensive stats were not as good last year as they are this year - especially in the first half of the year. To keep babbling... last year..... last year.... last year.... is absurd - this is 2023, not "last year"..... players get bigger and better as they start more years. scUM has a completely different OL. scUM's Rush Offense was far superior to this years and PSU's overall and rush defense numbers are far superior to "last year's" numbers. Your answer to everything is "last year" which is really lame.

UM - Edwards 173 yards, Corum 166 yards - PSU - Singleton 19 yards, Allen 16 yards.

The only change up front on our DL is we lost our best run stuffing DT, PJ

Don't get all out of whack when facts are presented. Lets get together after the OSU and UM games this year. No one will be more excited than me to see this defense handle both teams. We had an excellent defense last year and UM steam-rolled us. Lets hope it will not be repeated this year.

Right...what does any of that have to do with what I said?

It has a lot to do with what you said dipshit - duhO$U is extremely INEFFICIENT in terms of converting yards into points - especially as compared to PSU's Offense - as the RZ numbers clearly demonstrate. PSU has needed 9.62 Yards Per Point - duhO$U has needed a much less efficient 12.31 Yards Per Point. IOW, duhO$U has needed almost 30% more yards per point scored.

Only a moron like you couldn't understand Offensive Efficiency or conversely "wasted yardage"

It has a lot to do with what you said dipshit - duhO$U is extremely INEFFICIENT in terms of converting yards into points - especially as compared to PSU's Offense - as the RZ numbers clearly demonstrate. PSU has needed 9.62 Yards Per Point - duhO$U has needed a much less efficient 12.31 Yards Per Point. IOW, duhO$U has needed almost 30% more yards per point scored.

Only a moron like you couldn't understand Offensive Efficiency or conversely "wasted yardage"
Because of your defense and the field position we've been gifted. Your spin is predictable. If we lose, you're going to have a lot of explaining to do since your posts basically claim its impossible. We need to win by 50 to live up to your hype.

Don't tell blue hair 666 about this..the evil little petulant wolverine is polluting the board this week kissing Buckeye a$$ 😀

• Haha
Reactions: bluehair666
UM - Edwards 173 yards, Corum 166 yards - PSU - Singleton 19 yards, Allen 16 yards.

The only change up front on our DL is we lost our best run stuffing DT, PJ

Don't get all out of whack when facts are presented. Lets get together after the OSU and UM games this year. No one will be more excited than me to see this defense handle both teams. We had an excellent defense last year and UM steam-rolled us. Lets hope it will not be repeated this year.

You're such a nuf job claiming that players remain static in experience, size and skill when they're multi-year starters - just utterly bizzare to claim they do. BTW, and again, the FACT is that PSU's defense put up far inferior numbers during the first half of "last year" than they have the first half of this year. The Fact is that PSU's defense and team came into last year as complete unknowns but came into this year ranked in the Top 10 and expected to be one of the nation's leading defenses (and the FACT is, they are IN FACT the nationl's leading defense in virtually every category).

Continually saying "last year" is not a "this year" fact of any kind.

As has duhO$U, the average D1A offense they've played against is 74th in the nation in Total Offense. So both team's statistics have benefited from playing awful offensive teams, yet PSU is holding teams to 194 yards and only 11 First Downs per game - both best in the nation. duhO$U is giving up 264 yards and 17 First Downs per game.

But you choose to cast shade on PSU's nation-leading stats -- things that make you go hhhhmmm.....
Didn't realize calling the offenses faced so far (avg ranked = #100th) as bad was "throwing shade." It's a PSU board. I bleed blue and white so of course I'm going to comment specifically on the offenses Penn State has faced. I could have noted that facing such a great defense as PSU played a part in the rankings of those teams but I assumed that was implied. I didn't write anything Pollyanna about OSU facing amazing offenses or even mediocre offenses.

Based on the subsequent posts made by you and the vitriol infused in them, you see and read things in a way that motivates you to become some sort of keyboard commando. If it makes you feel better pounding away at the keyboard calling names, you do you.

Because of your defense and the field position we've been gifted. Your spin is predictable. If we lose, you're going to have a lot of explaining to do since your posts basically claim its impossible. We need to win by 50 to live up to your hype.

WTF are you talking about bozo - nowhere did I say we'd win by 50. Not even close. PSU's Offensive and Defensive stats are slightly better than duhO$U's - both teams numbers are elite. Given that their national elite stats have been built against completely different schedules - the stats say very little as to who will win or by how much. More than anything, they say it should be a great game that is more likely to be low-scoring if it remains close. duhO$U having home-field advantage is the big "intangible" so it makes sense that they are favored by 3 - 5 points.

You really are a dipshit with this typical nonsensical bullshit.

You're such a nuf job claiming that players remain static in experience, size and skill when they're multi-year starters - just utterly bizzare to claim they do. BTW, and again, the FACT is that PSU's defense put up far inferior numbers during the first half of "last year" than they have the first half of this year. The Fact is that PSU's defense and team came into last year as complete unknowns but came into this year ranked in the Top 10 and expected to be one of the nation's leading defenses (and the FACT is, they are IN FACT the nationl's leading defense in virtually every category).

Continually saying "last year" is not a "this year" fact of any kind.
OK, fair enough. Quit getting yourself unhinged over facts, even though they are last year. You equate UM with Delaware, WVU, UMass, NW etc. That's your opinion and I would not criticize you for it, even though I do not agree.

UM still has the two OG's Zinter and Keegan that destroyed our DT's last year, even though, according to you that is last year. Calm down and lets talk again after the UM game this year. I will be the first to admit I was wrong; I hope you are man enough to do the same.

Get a good nights sleep and stop being cranky.

Reactions: AvgUser
WTF are you talking about bozo - nowhere did I say we'd win by 50. Not even close. PSU's Offensive and Defensive stats are slightly better than duhO$U's - both teams numbers are elite. Given that their national elite stats have been built against completely different schedules - the stats say very little as to who will win or by how much. More than anything, they say it should be a great game that is more likely to be low-scoring if it remains close. duhO$U having home-field advantage is the big "intangible" so it makes sense that they are favored by 3 - 5 points.

You really are a dipshit with this typical nonsensical bullshit.
Say something that Ohio State is better than us at...

The middle of our DL is playing very well, better than last year….but I guess because that was supposed to be our weakness you’re going to stick with it.

OK, fair enough. Quit getting yourself unhinged over facts, even though they are last year. You equate UM with Delaware, WVU, UMass, NW etc. That's your opinion and I would not criticize you for it, even though I do not agree.

UM still has the two OG's Zinter and Keegan that destroyed our DT's last year, even though, according to you that is last year. Calm down and lets talk again after the UM game this year. I will be the first to admit I was wrong; I hope you are man enough to do the same.

Get a good nights sleep and stop being cranky.
Young out of position, inexperienced LBs had a lot to do with that as well.

Reactions: royboy
you may want to include the fact that in every game this year, Michigan had pulled all the defensive starters by the start of the fourth quarter, going so far as to have 3rd string guys and true freshmen rotate in during the last 15 minutes of the game.

I would be willing to bet that we have done this just as much as Michigan has, if not more. Hell, we have walkons getting snaps.

Luxury of a weak OOC slate.

And yards is impacted by starting field position, which is impacted by defense and special teams.

OSU and PSU both have 3 non-offensive tds this season so its a wash.

And yards is impacted by starting field position, which is impacted by defense and special teams.

OSU and PSU both have 3 non-offensive tds this season so its a wash.
It's not a wash. You're ignoring the strength of schedule to make it a wash?

It's not a wash. You're ignoring the strength of schedule to make it a wash?

I'm talking about scoring offense averages for PPG. Christ, you need to make everything an argument. First its defensive and special teams scores, now its strength of schedule. Next it's going to be about Ryan Day's facial hair vs James Franklins lack of hair.

No one plays an identical schedule so the whole comparison is just a giant waste of time to compare in this case and every case, not sure why they even bother. If they played identical schedules, you'd make it about home vs away, the weather, the zodiac, or Mars being in retrograde.

I'm talking about scoring offense averages for PPG. Christ, you need to make everything an argument. First its defensive and special teams scores, now its strength of schedule. Next it's going to be about Ryan Day's facial hair vs James Franklins lack of hair.

No one plays an identical schedule so the whole comparison is just a giant waste of time to compare in this case and every case, not sure why they even bother. If they played identical schedules, you'd make it about home vs away, the weather, the zodiac, or Mars being in retrograde.
When I discussed defense and ST you ignored field position and focused on TDs. Correct the schedules aren't identical and you have to account for that instead of pretend the average exists in a vacuum.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT