ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Coach Cael Sanderson on Start of Dual Season and Starting Lineup

A lot of good insights from that short interview. In particular, the comment on McHenry (the 'setback' a short while ago) indicates that he may have more than what we saw a week ago. Also, the comments on Truax suggests that there's work to do to reach the top. You could tell that Cael was anxious to get back in the room and join in the dodgeball.

A lot of good insights from that short interview. In particular, the comment on McHenry (the 'setback' a short while ago) indicates that he may have more than what we saw a week ago. Also, the comments on Truax suggests that there's work to do to reach the top. You could tell that Cael was anxious to get back in the room and join in the dodgeball.
I have no doubt whatsoever that Truax will be much better by seasons end.

By the looks of his ears, he is the main target.

#chixluvdodgeballear

It's interesting that he only mentioned Howard and Davis when talking about 125.

I got the impression that pulling Davis' shirt is an option if Robbie doesn't figure it out.
According to Ironhead, davis has been very dominant vs steen. My guess is that davis is the man unless howard slowly works his way back and somehow beats davis in wrestleoffs. I know Michigan hs wrestling isn't as strong as PA, but Davis was a 4 timer state champ. Pretty impressive.

According to Ironhead, davis has been very dominant vs steen. My guess is that davis is the man unless howard slowly works his way back and somehow beats davis in wrestleoffs. I know Michigan hs wrestling isn't as strong as PA, but Davis was a 4 timer state champ. Pretty impressive.
Judging by Cael's interview this week, I think those that predicted giving Robbie a long leash were right. I expect we will see Robbie a good bit this dual season, and Cael will carefully choose which 3 remaining dates to put Braeden out for to preserve the possibility of his RS. Perhaps Steen and/or McHenry will also see some action.

Honestly I don't see any reason to keep a shirt on Davis "if" he has progressed beyond Howard. Why would we hold him back? To sit behind Nagao at 133 for a couple of years, or to most likely serve only next year at 125 while Lilledahl shirts? Could Nagao move up to 141 after Beau moves on, maybe that's the plan.

Unless Davis has the potential to beat out either of those two in 2026 his opportunity looks solid for this year and next at 125, and maybe 133 to follow.

If course we also have Gibson in play as well.

Pull the shirt!

PS - as an undefeated true freshman, how can't you be excited about the development curve from November to March. We are just glimpsing his potential right now.

Honestly I don't see any reason to keep a shirt on Davis "if" he has progressed beyond Howard. Why would we hold him back? To sit behind Nagao at 133 for a couple of years, or to most likely serve only next year at 125 while Lilledahl shirts? Could Nagao move up to 141 after Beau moves on, maybe that's the plan.

Unless Davis has the potential to beat out either of those two in 2026 his opportunity looks solid for this year and next at 125, and maybe 133 to follow.

Pull the shirt!

PS - as an undefeated true freshman, how can't you be excited about the development curve from November to March. We are just glimpsing his potential right now.
For the record, I think Davis will end up our starter this year too. I just think that Cael is going to continue to give Robert opportunities to shake the rust off in competition, and will want to keep his options open while he does so.

Pull the shirt!

I was one of the first to say Robbie probably wasn't going to be our starter - when I attended Journeyman. I still think he won't be when the B1G schedule kicks in.

That said, it makes perfect sense that Cael will keep his options open until the second semester. I thought that Howard and possibly others may start a few duals. Why box yourself in a corner now? Making Davis the starter in January won't do a thing to slow down his development.

Do you really think it makes any difference who wrestles Luke Stanich this week? Or Dylan Ryder next week? After the Oregon State match in January it will likely be pretty clear where Robbie stands and where Davis stands. And then they will probably move forward with Davis, barring a miraculous turnaround from Howard.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE

Pull the shirt!

Pull what shirt? He doesnt even need to decide if he IS RSing until he wrestles 5 matches.

I loved the dodgeball game in the background, IronBird should report back to GIA that this is the true training secret to Penn States success.
I'd give it at least a 50% chance of being intentionally staged trolling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT