ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon State Dual

When I watched the Davis bout, I thought I was watching something from the 70's or 80's. He looked like one of those PA machines that we used to turn out regularly in those days: concise little moves, old fashioned doubles, relentless riding; he even threw in a tilt. And he sat out and stayed on his butt for a while. You saw a lot of that in the '60s, but not much since then.
It was a nostalgic bout for me, and the kid's a freshman.
Not to mention the low crouch he has in neutral. This kid is special and you can tell he is exactly the kind of kid that Cael can work with nothing but improvement.

I accidentally forgot to cancel my BTN+ subscription after wrestling season one year and it happened to be the year before Flo started carrying B1G matches. When Flo later stopped carrying the B1G matches I decided to resume (or so I thought) my BTN+ subscription only to find out I had been paying for it for almost two years to the tune of over $300. That was an expensive mistake on my part!
I call my credit cards customer service departments at least once per year and ask them to tell me all of my recurring charges. They probably have a way to check on-line but the call is easy.

Everyone is special at PSU lol
giphy.gif

BB looked a little lethargic to me. He was the only starter at Senior Nats; did he get a little chubby during the holidays after his big weekend in Texas?

Also, Singleton is soooooo SW Oregon. I had never watched him before last night but if you know the area, he’s it. I said to myself, “That dude is from Grants Pass or Medford.” He’s from Roseburg but close enough.

My summary:

Bartlett, Haines and Truax trained through.

Nagao, Messenbrink, Starocci, Brooks, and Kerkvliet were told to get their work in, but the rookie MM didn't know how to take it deep into the 3rd period.

Davis and Kasak were told to just compete and have fun.

Reactions: NittanyChris
a shame that the Rutgers BJC dual hasn't sold out
IMHO it was not the best strategy or opponent for a holiday Monday night in winter, where many have to be at work or school, bright eyed and bushy tailed, the next morning. Probably only Iowa, Ohio State and Pitt could sell out under these circumstances.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goathead88
the funny (sort of) thing is that Chertow said the BJC match sold out in 2 hours
It will be interesting to see how full the BJC actually is against Rutgers.

I wonder how many of the ticket buyers to date bought on speculation intending to flip their tickets rather than actually attend. Similarly, I wonder how many non-buyers only ever considered purchasing after the weather situation is fairly set for Monday.

I live in MD and am presently retired. Still, I didn't want to drive up to State College Friday to stay through to Sunday just to avoid the worst of Saturday's weather, so I could attend a single men's hockey game against Army. I listed my tickets at less than cost, and they didn’t sell.

Wintery weather sucks, and I hope it's not a factor. It has affected wrestling attendance in the past.

My summary:

Nagao, Messenbrink, Starocci, Brooks, and Kerkvliet were told to get their work in, but the rookie MM didn't know how to take it deep into the 3rd period.

Cael, “hey Casey, tell Carter and Aaron to get their work in, I dont have the nerve”

IMHO it was not the best strategy or opponent for a holiday Monday night in winter, where many have to be at work or school, bright eyed and bushy tailed, the next morning. Probably only Iowa, Ohio State and Pitt could sell out under these circumstances.
What holiday is Feb 12th? Presidents weekend is the next weekend.

I would imagine after a holiday break it could be a little tougher on Bernie now that he's back down at 184, as compared to last year's 197.
It’s also that Munoz is really good and we’re comparing Truax to Mesenbrink, Starocci, Brooks, and Kerk, who are the guys immediately surrounding him in the back half of the lineup, which really isn’t fair because 2 of them are all time greats going for #4, another is the clear favorite to win nattys, and MM looks like the best freshman since Zain. Bernie is what he is, which is a very likely AA, possibly high AA given that 184 isn’t a real deep class this year, but he’s not an elite hammer who’s going to win every match like those other guys. I mean, MM and Starocci both tech’d top 10 AA candidates like they were backup room guys. Truax will never be that impressive.

It’s also that Munoz is really good and we’re comparing Truax to Mesenbrink, Starocci, Brooks, and Kerk, who are the guys immediately surrounding him in the back half of the lineup, which really isn’t fair because 2 of them are all time greats going for #4, another is the clear favorite to win nattys, and MM looks like the best freshman since Zain. Bernie is what he is, which is a very likely AA, possibly high AA given that 184 isn’t a real deep class this year, but he’s not an elite hammer who’s going to win every match like those other guys. I mean, MM and Starocci both tech’d top 10 AA candidates like they were backup room guys. Truax will never be that impressive.
THANK YOU. This is the point I have being try to hammer home. Sometimes a guy is really good but he just isn’t an absolute monster like Penn State seemingly has an abundance of.

But a 4x AA would be a program legend most other places

My summary:

I actually think Mitch trained through as well. Cael and staff are now left pondering whether to make Mitch run 5 miles before his next "training through" match so he can get something out of it.... lol

THANK YOU. This is the point I have being try to hammer home. Sometimes a guy is really good but he just isn’t an absolute monster like Penn State seemingly has an abundance of.

I think it's partially the defensive wrestling strategy that draws criticism. Especially when surrounded by all our bonus point machines. We are so spoiled to think guys like Brooks, CStar, etc are the norm. In reality, they are rare. Cael just happens to get most of them here.

Levi looked fine to me. Was active throughout. His opponent had two very nice counters is what I saw.

I might think Beau was off due to having to be up for senior nationals. But even then, I thought his opponent just had a really nice counter.

Perhaps Oregon State is simply well-coached and saw a couple things on tape they could do.

Levi looked fine to me. Was active throughout. His opponent had two very nice counters is what I saw.

I might think Beau was off due to having to be up for senior nationals. But even then, I thought his opponent just had a really nice counter.

Perhaps Oregon State is simply well-coached and saw a couple things on tape they could do.
Haines was maybe a step slow to anticipate those counters early on, but credit his opponent for being craftier than Haines may have been expecting, and credit Haines even more for having the gas tank to come back and indeed coming all the way back, and not trying to get it all back at once.

Yeah, while he certainly wouldn’t be a “legend” in the Iowa room, just how perfectly would Truax fit into Iowa’s lineup this year? There’s still hand wringing on GIA over moving Gabe up to 184 despite the fact that he clearly wants no part of it because they don’t even have a natural 184 on their roster, and that’s a top 5 team. On Iowa, he’s a critical piece who would add significant points to the nationals lineup, while on PSU, he’s the “weak link” (as a potential high AA, LOL) in the back half of the lineup.

Yeah, while he certainly wouldn’t be a “legend” in the Iowa room, just how perfectly would Truax fit into Iowa’s lineup this year? There’s still hand wringing on GIA over moving Gabe up to 184 despite the fact that he clearly wants no part of it because they don’t even have a natural 184 on their roster, and that’s a top 5 team. On Iowa, he’s a critical piece who would add significant points to the nationals lineup, while on PSU, he’s the “weak link” (as a potential high AA, LOL) in the back half of the lineup.
Of course he'd be a legend at: Iowa, where wrestlers go to be legends.

No. Follow the example set on the football boards and NEVER give the other guy credit. I'm sorry, but that's the way it is. Don't fight it.

Haines was maybe a step slow to anticipate those counters early on, but credit his opponent for being craftier than Haines may have been expecting, and credit Haines even more for having the gas tank to come back and indeed coming all the way back, and not trying to get it all back at once.
To my eye Crosby looked like he has grown-arse man strength beyond the typical 157. Seems like that's what enabled him to counter Levi's moves early on more than anything. Perhaps it just took Levi a bit to make the necessary adjustments and wear down an uncommonly strong opponent. I was impressed that Levi showed no panic or desperation at any point and just confidently did his thing.

Crosby also looks like one of those guys who may rise to the level of his competition. Every loss he's had this year has been by 1 or 2 points.

To my eye Crosby looked like he has grown-arse man strength beyond the typical 157. Seems like that's what enabled him to counter Levi's moves early on more than anything. Perhaps it just took Levi a bit to make the necessary adjustments and wear down an uncommonly strong opponent. I was impressed that Levi showed no panic or desperation at any point and just confidently did his thing.

Crosby also looks like one of those guys who may rise to the level of his competition. Every loss he's had this year has been by 1 or 2 points.
Those JUCO national champs have seen some things. The types that wrestle a tournament, grab a sandwich and a coke then come back to wrestle a duel!

Reactions: PSUbluTX
I knew someone would have a smart remark,you know what I meant,neither does Oregon State after that match
You can’t judge OSU too harshly by their score against PSU. Some of their guys were competitive against better wrestlers. This year’s Penn State team is so solid that they would probably shutout 75% of the D1 teams.

And besides, name one other team that is so strong that Nico can’t beat anyone in the room.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT