ADVERTISEMENT

Threat to 172.5

GogglesPaizano

Feb 6, 2018
What to soon? :)

The Three point TD was a big player, but realistically the biggest threat to 172.5 in the next decade is most likely the 2025 PSU squad.

I'll assume Carter doesn't come back neither Beau, but Kerk is a must.

We could be just as strong on paper as this past year if the right peices fall into place.

Also if you are being perfectly honest, the competition was watered down this past year, with all of the to teams quite imperfect specimens, each with critical gaps in their lineups.

Zero doubt Ohio State is on the way back and could have several national champions next year and beyond including heavyweight, hence the need for Kerk.

We may see Askren to Missouri or Wisconsin (you heard it here first), someone taking out the crazy Brands brothers for the better no doubt for that program.

In short if anything I suspect more parity where 110-140 points remains the standard for a top team including PSU after next year. So why might next year threaten 173+?

I am not saying this will be the lineup but forced to a view on maximum points at nationals (and very likely placings):

125. Lilledahl or Davis - top 4
133. Lilledahl or Davis - top 4
141. Kasak - top 2
149 SVN - top 2
157. Mesenbrink/Levi - top 2
165. Mesenbrink/Levi - top 2
174. Facundo - top 4+
184. Barr - top 4
197. Cochran/Marisola - top 8+
Hwt. Kerk - top 2

Scary even after losing two 4xers.

I actually hope this lineup happens but it is highly unlikely IMO. I didn't see Cael bouncing Nagao, as it's most likely one of our light hammers Redshirts. Beau may come back, but I hope we get Kasak at 141. I don't think Carter comes back under any circumstances, and man does that create down year problems, and if Kerk leaves were are lucky to AA at heavy at best.

In any case can anyone say 180?

Last edited:

The Three point TD was a big player, but realistically the biggest threat to 172.5 in the next decade is most likely the 2025 PSU squad.

We could be just as strong on paper as this past year if the right peices fall into place.

Also if you are being perfectly honest, the competition was watered down this past year, with all of the to teams quite imperfect specimens, each with critical gaps in their lineups.

Zero doubt Ohio State is on the way back and could have several national champions next year and beyond including heavyweight, hence the need for Kerk.

We may see Askren to Missouri or Wisconsin (you heard it here first), someone taking out the crazy Brands brothers for the better no doubt for that program.

In short if anything I suspect more parity where 110-140 points remains the standard for a top team including PSU after next year. So why might next year threaten 173+?

I am not saying this will be the lineup but forced to a view on maximum points at nationals (and very likely placings):

141. Kasak - top 2
149 SVN - top 2
174. Facundo - top 4+
184. Barr - top 4
197. Cochran/Marisola - top 8
Hwt. Kerk - top 2

I actual hope this lineup happens but it is highly unlikely IMO. I didn't see Cael bouncing Nagao, as it's most likely one of our light hammers Redshirts. Beau may come back, but I hope we get Kasak at 141. I don't think Carter comes back under any circumstances, and man does that create down year problems, and if Kerk leaves were are lucky to AA at heavy at best.

If Kerk leaves, there is a legitimate opening for a portal rental at HWT (or 197 if Cochran bulks up). That's the only scenario where I can see Cael actively looking for a portal candidate. Bastida and Schultz both have one more year of eligibility.

If Kerk leaves, there is a legitimate opening for a portal rental at HWT (or 197 if Cochran bulks up). That's the only scenario where I can see Cael actively looking for a portal candidate. Bastida and Schultz both have one more year of eligibility.
For me I would be interested in either. I'm not sure who I would want but it is nice to grow those 285 guys.

141. Kasak - top 2
149 SVN - top 2
174. Facundo - top 4+
184. Barr - top 4
Hwt. Kerk - top 2

I actually hope this lineup happens but it is highly unlikely IMO. I didn't see Cael bouncing Nagao, as it's most likely one of our light hammers Redshirts. Beau may come back, but I hope we get Kasak at 141. I don't think Carter comes back under any circumstances, and man does that create down year problems, and if Kerk leaves were are lucky to AA at heavy at best.

No idea why everyone keeps saying "Mesenbrink/Levi".

Again, Mesenbrink is 157 and Levi is 165.

141. Kasak - top 2
149 SVN - top 2
174. Facundo - top 4+
184. Barr - top 4
Hwt. Kerk - top 2

It's all right here on this chart.
dnw2t3eb7c4vlt9duwyrukx01dmn6sil.jpg

141. Kasak - top 2
149 SVN - top 2
174. Facundo - top 4+
184. Barr - top 4
Hwt. Kerk - top 2

Beau will be back - unless something changes between now and next season. Direct from the horses mouth.

If beau comes back what happens with the kasak/SVN situation??
Kasak has a redshirt—but I’m willing to bet he will want to wrestle off for the spot. I have a hard time seeing him be as effective at 141 anyway.

I thought so too until all the banter. What is the origin of all of this chatter?
A family member told me the plan next year was for the 2 to switch weights.
That was before the first dual of the season, so plans may have changed.

I mentioned this previously: "I can't believe they scored 172.5 points while Davis (the #1 seed) and Nagao combined for only five points, Beau and Mitchell lost very tight matches, and they lost some probable bonus points if Carter had been healthy. Given just those three factors alone, Penn State could have reasonably passed 180+ team points."

I mentioned this previously: "I can't believe they scored 172.5 points while Davis (the #1 seed) and Nagao combined for only five points, Beau and Mitchell lost very tight matches, and they lost some probable bonus points if Carter had been healthy. Given just those three factors alone, Penn State could have reasonably passed 180+ team points."
Totally with you on this. I don't think it's going to take another 40+ years for 172.5 to get passed. More like 4. A lot of things didn't go "right" with this NCAA tournament and 170 still got surpassed.

Totally with you on this. I don't think it's going to take another 40+ years for 172.5 to get passed. More like 4. A lot of things didn't go "right" with this NCAA tournament and 170 still got surpassed.
On the other hand, Beau’s two third period pins and Levi’s SV pin went extra right on the way to 172.5.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT