ADVERTISEMENT

Last Chance OTT Qualifier - April 7

Just because you say it isn't legit doesn't make it so. Time to give this one a rest don't you think? This is one of the least consequential historical topics I have seen in a while.

Carter and Brooks did not make the NWCA all american list this year.

Brian Borden is an NWCA All american for PSU. https://gopsusports.com/sports/wrestling/roster/brian-borden/15255

NWCA has 340+ D1 all americans this year. ARe they all legit? Averages to 34 per weight class.

NO CREDIBILITY as far as athletics. ZERO. Scholar all americans, no problem. They earned it.

No. It still does not work. The only way to keep it fair would have been to simply compete that year. Giving those seniors another year which for some would be a sixth year then screws the freshman the following year. If Starocci or Brooks lost to a sixth year senior would anyone be happy?

My man, I was answering a specific question about how the announcers were differentiating between all American and placewinners at the last few Nationals, you are welcome to keep beating the horse in whichever direction you want.

So what? He's also not a national champ because the tourney doesn't get held.

I am really struggling to understand this whole "they weren't All-Americans in 2020" mindset. First, many other sports declare AAs without H2H competition -- anyone dispute Olu Fashanu or Saquon or Micah? Second, are we really trying to overturn something from 4 years ago?

It comes across as petty.
I couldn't care less which way they decide AA's in a situation like that, and I don't think Carter or Cael would have cared either. Carter would have known he was the best 174 and I'm sure he would have tweeted something about being the best. I'm just making the point that sometimes the best 8 wrestlers of a weight class aren't the top 8 seeds and it would have been entertaining if Carter just missed the cutoff.

TBF, DT probably could have tech'd a bunch of senior-level guys at 57kg when he was 17. This was the last chance qualifier and most of the guys there aren't exactly contending for world team spots. Let's not pretend Tomasello is tearing it on the senior level. I can't remember the last tournament I saw him in.
Now, when if Jax takes it to beats Spencer because of injury, your point is emphasized (softened for our black and gold visitors' benefit). :cool:
Tomasello has had a few decent moments in FS (e.g., beating Suriano) but on the whole guys with reach give him big problems, as you might imagine even before looking at results. Tomasello is similar to Mark Hall inasmuch as there is a tier he's probably never getting to b/c he's giving up so much reach. And maybe it's not even a reach disadvantage so much as a "compactness" disadvantage. I mean, look at the four Forrest scored on to end the match, which he was able to pull off because his reach enabled him to octopus himself around NaTO in a way that wouldn't have worked against a more wiry wrestler, which of course is most of 57kg. NaTO had nothing to plant against, no leverage, and easily rolled. (That's not to say that NaTO couldn't have done anything--he seemed to not see it coming--but he's still at a big disadvantage in so mnay FS positions.)

Tomasello has had a few decent moments in FS (e.g., beating Suriano) but on the whole guys with reach give him big problems, as you might imagine even before looking at results. Tomasello is similar to Mark Hall inasmuch as there is a tier he's probably never getting to b/c he's giving up so much reach. And maybe it's not even a reach disadvantage so much as a "compactness" disadvantage. I mean, look at the four Forrest scored on to end the match, which he was able to pull off because his reach enabled him to octopus himself around NaTO in a way that wouldn't have worked against a more wiry wrestler, which of course is most of 57kg. NaTO had nothing to plant against, no leverage, and easily rolled. (That's not to say that NaTO couldn't have done anything--he seemed to not see it coming--but he's still at a big disadvantage in so mnay FS positions.)
Whaddaya mean he has a height/length/reach disadvantage?

dog-1018960.jpg

Bassett and Forrest are still jumping levels IMO. Don't forget, both of them didn't make U20 team last year, losing to Spratley (who lost to Luke)
We got the best one in Luke. I don’t see any of them going the same weight in College. Luke 125, Forest 133 and Bassett ( who knows) keeps getting bigger.
I think Bassett beat Luke in FS somewhere last year. All three top tier imo.
Could you imagine those three on the same team

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT