ADVERTISEMENT

OT: you're a true Pennsylvanian if you've eaten 20/28 of these foods...

I got 20 of 28 and only lived in PA for 6 years total. Never heard of some of the food items such as a Texas Tommy. Living in NE Ohio and DE several years, some of these are crossovers to those states. Even went to the Apple Scrapple Festival in DE.

Re-review of list: 25 of 28. Missing were Friendship bread, Burnt almond torte, & the infamous Pittsburgh salad. A Texas Tommy is a hotdog with bacon & cheese, so I've had that as well as the zucchini planks.

I agree with grilled stickies being addd, but also how about Peachy Paternoster ice cream or any Creamery ice cream.

...23 of 28....
...they left out 7-layer salad, pigs stomach, groundhog legs, corn pudding, rhubarb pie and pork and sauerkraut... :)

My mom does a strawberry/rhubarb pie thats very good. She also does corn pudding.
Never heard of groundhog legs.
I love pork and sauerkraut.

My mom does a strawberry/rhubarb pie thats very good. She also does corn pudding.
Never heard of groundhog legs.
I love pork and sauerkraut.

FR_Groundhog_Stew008.jpg

Rolling Rock before it became trendy, Stegmaier, Straub, Duquesne, Stoney's, Ortliebs, ...

ahhhh good ole "33" before they ruined it and started mass producing it in the late 80's and then, horror or horrors, moving it
to New Jersey. I refuse to drink it.
But I will admit I do like the Guiness Blonde they are producing in the old Latrobe Brewery.

Reactions: psu1969a
Hard pass on scrapple. Scrapple is everything in the hog, from the rooter to the tooter.

Maybe at one time, it's not made that way anymore. These days it's pretty much sausage and cornmeal.

20 out of 28 and we in Western PA call them gobs, LOL.

Gob is to whoopie Pies as Kleenex is to Tissue.

It's just a bad tasting, poor representation of a whoopie pie.

18. Born and raised in western PA but never heard of a Pittsburgh salad.

I'm surprised so many have not heard of a Pittsburgh Salad. It's pretty common all over the state.

Maybe at one time, it's not made that way anymore. These days it's pretty much sausage and cornmeal.

Gob is to whoopie Pies as Kleenex is to Tissue.

It's just a bad tasting, poor representation of a whoopie pie.

I'm surprised so many have not heard of a Pittsburgh Salad. It's pretty common all over the state.

I was always told, so I don't know if its true or not, that the difference between a whoopie pie and a gob was the icing inside.
The traditional "gob" icing that my family made had flour in it.
Like I said I'm not sure if that is accurate or not just what I was told.
In any case I like both versions. :)

21. Scrapple was every other week torture although Mom tried her best... all the maple syrup i wanted and she served it with plenty of applesauce and creamed carrots. Now if she would have permitted a Ballantine's Ale to wash the swill down....

Dad would just look over at me if I made a face and say.. be thankful. Eat hearty!

19. But I'd be up to 21 if you counted having the equivalent of two of them in Germany, as I've had Berliners (like fastnachts) and Saumagen (like hogmaw) there. The Saumagen wasn't bad--but then again, I love scrapple. A couple I'd never heard of due to being from eastern PA--and I still have never had a pork sammich--was going to get one at Mama's near Bala the last time I was in Philly, but their oven wasn't working right that day

Not sure if this is a Pennsylvania thing or not, but I grew up on dandelion salad with hot bacon dressing over boiled potatoes. My mom would pick the dandelion leaves from a field nearby.

She called it "Wilted Dandelions and Potatoes".

We did something similar but never had it over boiled potatoes.
That sounds pretty good because the salad itself isn't bad as long as you get the dandelions in the spring when they are young and tender.

Reactions: palmettolion
19. Just reading "burnt almond torte" got my mouth watering and put two pounds on me.

If Tasty Cake is on the list, Klondikes should also be represented, along with chipped chopped ham.

Guess where I call home.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
After reading the descriptions of Texas Tommy and Zucchini Planks, I've definitely had both. Never had Hog Maw or Burnt Almond Torte.

26/28 for me or 93%. I get an A- in Pennsylvanian Epicurean Studies.

Reactions: john4psu
Shouldn't Yiengling and Rolling Rock be on the list? That would make it 22 for me!

Reactions: BBrown
Any review of PA foods has to include a tip of the hat to ice cream, and Philadelphia's contribution to that treat. Once there was Dolly Madison and of course Breyers, before it was purchased by a national conglomerate, Bassetts is the oldest continuously operating ice cream brand in the country.

You get bonus points if you can pronounce Reading, Lancaster and Youghiogheny like your from PA. :)
Points if you can say Schuylkill , or Shenandoah like a Coal Region boy, One pt if when you hear breaker, you think of a coal breaker and not the electrical panel. One pt. if you know you can find the trees between the twos and the fours.

Reactions: BBrown
Not sure if this is a Pennsylvania thing or not, but I grew up on dandelion salad with hot bacon dressing over boiled potatoes. My mom would pick the dandelion leaves from a field nearby.

Same here.

Ham & Dandelion is the traditional Easter meal for the PADutch where I grew up in Northumberland County. It's an annual fund raiser for Hickory Corner's Fire Company and a few Churches. Even now I still go and pick some dandelion at least once each spring. Much like Pork & Sauerkraut on New Year's Day, it's not Easter without Ham & Dandelion.

A wilting Pennsylvania Dutch tradition: ham and dandelion dinners

Jennifer Sheehan - The Morning Call
March 27, 2015

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT