ADVERTISEMENT

OT: you're a true Pennsylvanian if you've eaten 20/28 of these foods...

Reactions: Nitwit
I can't remember eating Chicken Pot Pie. Beef Pot Pie about once every other week in the winter. It's all about the noodles.

f28f6095b0d65d2ecd6dbe42669f05cc--dutch-recipes-amish-recipes.jpg

Leftover chicken went to Chicken and waffles or chicken and biscuits.

6322654021_9000c45d61.jpg

LOL, yea our "chicken and waffles" is much different than the southern version. Honestly I like ours a lot more.
your above pic is the exact way we would have it. One of my Grandmothers favorite meals. I'm right there with her. ;)

You are so correct. They used to have a contest in the Mt. Carmel area, and most of the contestants were private/non-commerical. I've tried them from Shenandoah to Hazleton, and they each have their subtle differences. My wife brought home a prepackaged grocery store sopresseta once............once. I had to have a talk with her.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
I saw that Charles Chips pic and it brought back memories. I searched the web and it looks like someone bought the company and they're shipping chips. I got me a tin. A little pricey, but I splurged.
Additional foods that I was thinking of that didn't make this list are bleenies, bean soup, halupkies, halushki, and bondookies. They're all coal region, but they're definitely NE PA staples.

I saw that Charles Chips pic and it brought back memories. I searched the web and it looks like someone bought the company and they're shipping chips. I got me a tin. A little pricey, but I splurged.
Additional foods that I was thinking of that didn't make this list are bleenies, bean soup, halupkies, halushki, and bondookies. They're all coal region, but they're definitely NE PA staples.
There is no such thing as a Coal Region picnic (pick-a-nick) without Bean Soup. Good old Navy Beans, ham and celery with a little onion. Have to serve in a paper cup with oyster crackers. Straight from the Block Party!

Polish Day at the South Cass Fire Company had the best!

Reactions: BBrown
There is no such thing as a Coal Region picnic (pick-a-nick) without Bean Soup. Good old Navy Beans, ham and celery with a little onion. Have to serve in a paper cup with oyster crackers. Straight from the Block Party!

thats the way we made in western PA too, except my mom usually threw in a jar of her canned tomatoes. Excellent.

You say bean soup? Well, there's The Bean Soup. More North Central PA. Went to a couple of those "years and years and years ago..." as a kid.

http://mcclurebeansoupfair.com/about-us/history/

You guys have my stomach grumbling right around lunchtime !
FCL2, you are so correct. I remember all the old church bazaars and fire company block parties in the Skook. Fantastic foods.
The block would smell terrific on a muggy summer night with the sound of some local cover band or the PA Good Times playing their polkas from a flat bed. Memories.

And it has to be cooked in a big iron kettle over a wood fire, and served with a ladle.

LOL Schuylkill Hose Co #2 used to have 'Auction and Fun night' every August. We would canvas the town for stuff to be donated, they auctioned it off!! What a night!! The local DDS, sold the bean soup for years. 'Bean Sooouuuup, get your Bean Soup right here' he would cry out it seemed every minute!! I can still hear him!.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tomvellner/are-you-even-from-pennsylvania

I've only had 16 of 'em. Hard pass on scrapple. Scrapple is everything in the hog, from the rooter to the tooter. Will anyone admit to eating hog maw? That is fugly.
Only had 19 of the 28, but flew into PA this week to visit the family. Grabbed the Peanut Chews at the Wawa (I believe that I had them before after eating them). Mom had Turkey Hill ice cream so I ate that (nothing better than Breyers still). And finally, wife and I went up the street to Cherryville and tried Ritas Italian ice. I got the mango ice with vanilla custard. It wasn't worth the wait. But, did bump my score to 22. Never had a pork sandwich, and debated at Genos at the Philly airport, but passed. Couldn't find Teaberry ice cream at the Northampton Redner's

Now, I did get scrapple twice. First was in Coplay (Samuel Owens bar?) on Sunday morning. Thin and crisp. It was fantastic. First time that I had been there and a wonderful place. 8am breakfast and had them pull me a Miller Lite to start the day, as I was on vacation. Nice. Second time was yesterday morning in Bath PA. A bit thicker and gooier, but still OK. SOS both times with the scrapple, and now it is time to burn off the PA 5 lbs I gained in a few days there

I would add Turkey BBQ (chopped up turkey in a hamburger roll) and Chow-Chow, as PA Dutch items as well.

Actually, I think I had 15 of the items on the list in the last 4 days on my PA visit.

Only had 19 of the 28, but flew into PA this week to visit the family. Grabbed the Peanut Chews at the Wawa (I believe that I had them before after eating them). Mom had Turkey Hill ice cream so I ate that (nothing better than Breyers still). And finally, wife and I went up the street to Cherryville and tried Ritas Italian ice. I got the mango ice with vanilla custard. It wasn't worth the wait. But, did bump my score to 22. Never had a pork sandwich, and debated at Genos at the Philly airport, but passed. Couldn't find Teaberry ice cream at the Northampton Redner's

Now, I did get scrapple twice. First was in Coplay (Samuel Owens bar?) on Sunday morning. Thin and crisp. It was fantastic. First time that I had been there and a wonderful place. 8am breakfast and had them pull me a Miller Lite to start the day, as I was on vacation. Nice. Second time was yesterday morning in Bath PA. A bit thicker and gooier, but still OK. SOS both times with the scrapple, and now it is time to burn off the PA 5 lbs I gained in a few days there

I would add Turkey BBQ (chopped up turkey in a hamburger roll) and Chow-Chow, as PA Dutch items as well.

Actually, I think I had 15 of the items on the list in the last 4 days on my PA visit.

I will have to disagree with you on the Breyer's. I hate their ice milk. Needs more butter fat. ;)
Good call on the Genos at the airport. Geno's and Pats are overrated at their main stores I can't imagine how bad
the others are. Sorry just not a fan of their cheese steaks.
The Pork and Rab sandwich is 10x better, JMO.

Reactions: CentexLion
18/28.

The only place I've ever seen or had a Texas Tommy is at Nifty Fifties in the Philly area. Very good.

You should have driven through the gap, then taken 443 out to South Tamaqua to Leiby's for that teaberry.
Been to Leiby's many times as a kid. We used to go family camping up there, and head to Leiby's for ice cream. I used to get their Atomic sundae. Loved it. Thanks for the memories

I will have to disagree with you on the Breyer's. I hate their ice milk. Needs more butter fat. ;)
Good call on the Genos at the airport. Geno's and Pats are overrated at their main stores I can't imagine how bad
the others are. Sorry just not a fan of their cheese steaks.
The Pork and Rab sandwich is 10x better, JMO.
As my parents get older, I'll be making a few trips a year to Northampton, so I'll knock off all of them. Arrived on Friday at 2 pm, and wanted to get food ASAP. Traffic was horrific driving up 476, plus it started pouring, so I stopped at Villanova, at the pizza joint as you come into campus to chill and eat. Got my instant fix of thin crust, college pizza. Left at 3, and traffic was even worse. What normally takes me 90 minutes from Philly airport to Northampton, took 3+ hours. 22 was a major mess with construction going east.

Now, back to the Breyers. They make Ice Milk? Why the hell would you buy ice milk? Ice cream or nothing. I also like that Breyers only has the basic ingredients. No guar gum or sodium bi-whatdoyoucallit. Certainly not healthy, but great.

Reactions: Nitwit
LOL, yea our "chicken and waffles" is much different than the southern version. Honestly I like ours a lot more.
your above pic is the exact way we would have it. One of my Grandmothers favorite meals. I'm right there with her. ;)
My school is a very diverse school, many foreign-born students or first generation Americans. One day cafe served chicken and waffles, the kids freaked. They thought it was another chicken nugget day.

Pretzels are the ultimate Pennsylvania food! Lots of great pretzel bakeries in south central PA, and of course soft pretzels are the big Philly thing.

Pretzels are the ultimate Pennsylvania food! Lots of great pretzel bakeries in south central PA, and of course soft pretzels are the big Philly thing.

I hate when you go south and have a craving for pretzels and all they have are Rold Gold. I just dont like those

I hate when you go south and have a craving for pretzels and all they have are Rold Gold. I just dont like those
The big hard sourdough pretzels are my favorites. We used to call them beer pretzels. I used to buy Hammond pretzels right from the bakery when I was a kid. We had a returnable 5 pound can that they would fill with broken ones for 75 cents. I think we went through a can a week at home. I was back in Lancaster county a year or two ago and stopped to buy some at a Pretzel museum in Lititz. I believe they were Sturgis pretzels. I also recall Anderson and of course Snyder. There are probably as many pretzel brands as there are potato chip brands.

Been to Leiby's many times as a kid. We used to go family camping up there, and head to Leiby's for ice cream. I used to get their Atomic sundae. Loved it. Thanks for the memories

you guys know their son just re opened it a week after easter. always packed a little different inside.
food is good. also Heisler's teaberry way better than Leiby's (note the dairy is not related to the restaurant)

Reactions: Royal_Coaster
As my parents get older, I'll be making a few trips a year to Northampton, so I'll knock off all of them. Arrived on Friday at 2 pm, and wanted to get food ASAP. Traffic was horrific driving up 476, plus it started pouring, so I stopped at Villanova, at the pizza joint as you come into campus to chill and eat. Got my instant fix of thin crust, college pizza. Left at 3, and traffic was even worse. What normally takes me 90 minutes from Philly airport to Northampton, took 3+ hours. 22 was a major mess with construction going east.

Now, back to the Breyers. They make Ice Milk? Why the hell would you buy ice milk? Ice cream or nothing. I also like that Breyers only has the basic ingredients. No guar gum or sodium bi-whatdoyoucallit. Certainly not healthy, but great.
I am not the fan of Breyers I once was--they left Philly and have been owned by Good Humor for many years. They got in trouble with their "all natural" as they used a thickener from some kind of nut in their ice cream once Breyers was no longer owned locally. It was, technically, "natural" but not pure like it once was. Many of their products are labeled as "frozen dairy desserts".

Link 1

Link 2

Not sure if I ever ate teaberry ice cream so I need a tutorial about it. Is it specific to a particular area? Season?

ADVERTISEMENT