ADVERTISEMENT

OT: you're a true Pennsylvanian if you've eaten 20/28 of these foods...

19/28... Lactose intolerant, can't do ice cream...:(... thick slice of scrapple crispy on the outside on a sammich with an over easy egg and cheese...

Herr's potato chips, Nottingham (Chester County).

Remember Charles Chips being delivered in big metal cans

Trouble with cheesesteaks anywhere outside of the Phila. area is the rolls...

Pork sammich at the Reading market...

Shoofly pie I still get at the Springs in Somerset County, or I can order one (I like wet bottom) from a local Amish bakery...

@psute are you from the Somerset area?

Reactions: psute
Now you're talking. That was our go to beer in the bars in the late 70's. We loved dark beer and it was $1.75 a pitcher. Nothing could beat it for us.
You know, they used to serve it at Schmidts--especially at the outlet that used to be in the Ohio Center (now part of the Convention Center). I'd go down there just for that. It was sold as their house brand--but was Prior nevertheless. Schmidts upstairs banquet room in German Village still has old Schmidts of Philadelphia tap handles in their bar.

South of there, Grantsville MD, High atop Negro Mountain (Mt. Davis)

If you know of Mt. Davis, then you have to be familiar with New Baltimore, Bedford, Schellsburg, etc. Never forgot the "Gizz Sand" at the Hotel Bedford, chicken gizzards.

Reactions: psute
I think that the Wegman's "Country Store" stuff is actually made out at the "Country Store" in Muncy. Well worth a trip. They seem to specialize in "casing products" (sausages etc.)

http://www.countrystoremeats.com
They're for sale (or have been sold), no? Very high quality meats, but super expensive (imo). Best ring bologna you'll find - you have to buy it there, not at a Giant or Wegman's.

And barbequed ham .......

5414195002_e10721ca97.jpg
Sorry, this stuff is just bad. Even worse when Chinese Mustard is added to the mix.

What is wrong with pickled eggs?
Nothing wrong with the eggs. It's the farts that follow a few hours later.

Anyway, I got 25, missing Texas Tommy, Pittsburgh salad, and that torte you can only get from one bakery (not sure that qualifies as a state-wide thing).

They could have easily made this a 40 or 50 item questionnaire. Halupki, halushky, hot bologna, flitch, bleenies, city chicken, pepper cabbage, soupies, scamutz, shoepeg corn, hot bacon dressing. The list goes on...

Anyway, I got 25, missing Texas Tommy, Pittsburgh salad, and that torte you can only get from one bakery (not sure that qualifies as a state-wide thing).

They could have easily made this a 40 or 50 item questionnaire. Halupki, halushky, hot bologna, flitch, bleenies, city chicken, pepper cabbage, soupies, scamutz, shoepeg corn, hot bacon dressing. The list goes on...

Agree there was a lot more they could have had.
is Corn Pudding a PA thing?
I've lived in TX and MD and no hear has ever heard of it, maybe in Western MD?

and personally I think it should have been Snyders potato chips or Charles.
Utz is more MD and Balto., INMO.

How is UTZ Maryland or Balto? They are a PA chip company that started out in Hanover just like Snyders of Hanover. I can name lot of PA chip companies. Gibbles, Middleswarth, Goods, Dieffenbachs, Herr's and others. I never heard of Hartley's so I had to google the Lewistown chip and will have to try a bag. I think UTZ was the wrong chip because the might have the biggest footprint of states that carry UTZ products. The true PA test should be have you tried the other Snyders or are even aware that there is a Snyder's of Berlin.

No one has mentioned "scumgullion", a mixture of onions, tomatoes red and green, zucchini, cucumbers and any other veggie you can imagine but no potatoes, beets, or beans. Fried in butter, lard or bacon drippings or a combination of them.

I can't remember eating Chicken Pot Pie. Beef Pot Pie about once every other week in the winter. It's all about the noodles.

f28f6095b0d65d2ecd6dbe42669f05cc--dutch-recipes-amish-recipes.jpg

Leftover chicken went to Chicken and waffles or chicken and biscuits.

6322654021_9000c45d61.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown and Nitwit

What is City Chicken?

You must be from Hazleton or Tamaqua. I'm loving the food selection as a Mt. Carmel boy.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
How is UTZ Maryland or Balto? They are a PA chip company that started out in Hanover just like Snyders of Hanover. I can name lot of PA chip companies. Gibbles, Middleswarth, Goods, Dieffenbachs, Herr's and others. I never heard of Hartley's so I had to google the Lewistown chip and will have to try a bag. I think UTZ was the wrong chip because the might have the biggest footprint of states that carry UTZ products. The true PA test should be have you tried the other Snyders or are even aware that there is a Snyder's of Berlin.

Yea I just never realized UTZ was started in Hanover but even in their "story" they say they mostly were south central pa and MD.

An even better test of PA is if you know its Snyder of Berlin.

What is City Chicken?
Back when working people didn't have a lot of money, poultry was expensive and was a luxury food (opposite of now).

The much cheaper cuts were pork and veal. So people would buy them, cut them into little chunks, thread them on to wooden skewers and dredge with flour and fry them up.

You can also use ground meat and shape into a drumstick, then do the skewer. Thus, 'City Chicken'.

It's still huge in Pittsburgh, Cleveland and the Coal Region. My favorite lunch place in Cleveland is called Sokolowski's University Inn in Tremont. It's like a Polish cafeteria. City Chicken is on the menu every day. They serve you one huge one, my grandmother and Mom make them much smaller, 3 or 4 bites each so you'll have like four of them.

They're for sale (or have been sold), no? Very high quality meats, but super expensive (imo). Best ring bologna you'll find - you have to buy it there, not at a Giant or Wegman's.
They are "relatively expensive". I don't know how the folks from Muncy, let alone all 10 residents of Pennsdale, can afford to shop there. :)

That might be the reason there's never anyone else in the store when you visit.

Pepper cabbage. Took some years ago to the beach with folks from the DC area.....they wouldn't touch it.

Faller's Pretzels.

Also, can you say Perkiomen or Tulpehocken?

This is the recipe I use.
Only 2 things I do different.
I use a can of tomato sauce instead of soup and I don't completely
brown the hamburger.
Give a shot I think you'll be happy. Its pretty close in taste.

LAZY PIGS IN THE BLANKET CASSEROLE
3 c. chopped cabbage
1 lb. ground beef
1 med. onion
Salt and pepper
4 tbsp. uncooked rice
1 can tomato soup
1 can water

Brown ground beef and onion with salt and pepper. Add tomato soup, rice and water. Simmer 10 minutes. Pour over cabbage in a 2-quart casserole. Don't stir. Cover; bake covered at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
My family recipe adds a little brown sugar and a little bit of apple cider vinegar to give it a sweet and sour taste. I think the sugar in particular helps to mellow and carmelize the cabbage. Boil the cabbage leaves first and stuff them with the beef and uncooked rice filling. Arrange in a casserole pan and pour the sauce over them. Bake for an hour or is until the rice is completely cooked through. The rice will absorbe the sauce and beef and cabbage drippings as it cooks and keep the pockets firm. Also, the longer it bakes the better, and it's excellent as a leftover the next day. Good stuff - it's become one our traditional New Years holiday meals since my Mom passed away as this was always one of her specialties. Enjoy

Last edited:
Reactions: papa_ed and BBrown
No ******s? (ground liver and onions rolled into a large ball.) This was quite popular in bars around the coal regions 40-60 years ago. Sorry, I didn't give them the name.

***sorry you deleted this.......google please.......it is a Welsh dish of liver and onions not a homosexual slur. fa##ots!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nitwit
I grew up in Morrison's Cove (north of Bedford, south of Altoona) and all of the small towns there have a thing called an Ox Roast sandwich. I love the damn things with loads of sweet pickle relish. I've never seen them anywhere else.

Reactions: BBrown
I grew up in Morrison's Cove (north of Bedford, south of Altoona) and all of the small towns there have a thing called an Ox Roast sandwich. I love the damn things with loads of sweet pickle relish. I've never seen them anywhere else.

I've heard of that but I never tried one.

It is very difficult to get ring baloney and impossible to get good ring baloney here in NY.

It is very difficult to get ring baloney and impossible to get good ring baloney here in NY.

My parents used to make their own "ham" salad using ring bologna.
I don't like bologna but I did like that.
They had a white grinder that they would use to grind the bologna up and then I think it was just fake mayo (Miracle Whip) and sweet relish.

Had 17 or so, but some have never heard as being served as Pennsylvania Foods:
Pittsburgh Steak Salad
Texas Tommy (huh, Texas Tommie is a hot dog, cheese stuffed in slit in dog and wrapped with bacon.)
Burnt Almond Torte
Pork Sandwich (Philly only)
Zucchini Planks
Hogs Maw
Teaberry Ice Cream

Utz potato chips are good and pretty well known, but several other brands are pretty well known.

My parents used to make their own "ham" salad using ring bologna.
I don't like bologna but I did like that.
They had a white grinder that they would use to grind the bologna up and then I think it was just fake mayo (Miracle Whip) and sweet relish.
yep, I still make ham salad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT