ADVERTISEMENT

OT: you're a true Pennsylvanian if you've eaten 20/28 of these foods...

Checking in with 25/28.

I can at least get Utz here in South Carolina but they damn sure aren't Middleswarth. Nothing comes close. I emailed them a while back to see if I could somehow purchase just the BBQ seasoning to use as a rub for grilling/smoking but got no response. I will keep trying until they at least tell me no.

Any PA food list that doesn't include pork and sauerkraut is incomplete. It's a New Years Day tradition.

I'll take my scrapple crispy, on a bed of potatoes O'Brien with a couple of over easy eggs on top.

Ham & Dandelion is the traditional Easter meal for the PADutch where I grew up in Northumberland County. It's an annual fund raiser for Hickory Corner's Fire Company and a few Churches. Even now I still go and pick some dandelion at least once each spring. Much like Pork & Sauerkraut on New Year's Day, it's not Easter without Ham & Dandelion.

A wilting Pennsylvania Dutch tradition: ham and dandelion dinners

Jennifer Sheehan - The Morning Call
March 27, 2015

I need to get up to Kutztown next spring. Would love to check out one of those church dinners.

Reactions: PSU77sh
I need to get up to Kutztown next spring. Would love to check out one of those church dinners.

The PADutch style hot bacon dressing is not just good for dandelion, it also works well for lettuce, spinach and arugula for the fancy pants among us.

Points if you can say Schuylkill , or Shenandoah like a Coal Region boy, One pt if when you hear breaker, you think of a coal breaker and not the electrical panel. One pt. if you know you can find the trees between the twos and the fours.
I used to be able to it like a champ!! Now when I go 'home' they say I sound like I'm from the South. But people here, still ask if I am from PA!! go figure.

19/28... Lactose intolerant, can't do ice cream...:(... thick slice of scrapple crispy on the outside on a sammich with an over easy egg and cheese...

Herr's potato chips, Nottingham (Chester County).

Remember Charles Chips being delivered in big metal cans

Trouble with cheesesteaks anywhere outside of the Phila. area is the rolls...

Pork sammich at the Reading market...

Shoofly pie I still get at the Springs in Somerset County, or I can order one (I like wet bottom) from a local Amish bakery...

Reactions: boddyebsen
Last edited:
I like red beet eggs but I don't like red beets.
Same here, I couldn't stand red beets.

I got 22 of these, there were a few I hadn't heard of and a few that I've had but don't miss (scrapple). Never even heard of a Pittsburgh salad, Texas tommy, burnt almond torte, Amish friendship bread or zucchini planks. Although I have had a steak salad and bacon and cheese hot dogs before but I didn't count them since I never heard them called these names before.

Last edited:
I used to be able to it like a champ!! Now when I go 'home' they say I sound like I'm from the South. But people here, still ask if I am from PA!! go figure.
My sister and cousin now have Philly accents to my ears. But they haven't changed. I have--been living in Ohio since 78.

Yea Utz bugged me cause there are at least 3 chip companies I know of in PA, UTZ is more balto.
Also Ritas, I never heard of Ritas until about 10 years ago when I saw the first one in Balto
guys Utz is made in Hanover PA the same place as Snyders, I used to bring cans of them to PSU from the factory, I think they're probably the largest chip maker in PA.

guys Utz is made in Hanover PA the same place as Snyders, I used to bring cans of them to PSU from the factory, I think they're probably the largest chip maker in PA.

Utz are better than nuts.

Last edited:
Only 13 for me. I'm from NE PA, I think where you are from probably has a lot to do with your score.

Seems like a good place to ask - does anyone know where to get green onion potato chips? Not sour cream and green onion dammit, just green onion. I used to eat Bickel's green onion chips when I was a kid and I loved them.

Points if you can say Schuylkill , or Shenandoah like a Coal Region boy, One pt if when you hear breaker, you think of a coal breaker and not the electrical panel. One pt. if you know you can find the trees between the twos and the fours.

You mean like Schukie and Chen-do? One point if that's crick that runs tru your town.

Only 13 for me. I'm from NE PA, I think where you are from probably has a lot to do with your score.

Seems like a good place to ask - does anyone know where to get green onion potato chips? Not sour cream and green onion dammit, just green onion. I used to eat Bickel's green onion chips when I was a kid and I loved them.

Bickle's is still around, but they no longer make the green onion chips. My paternal grandfather practically lived on those and they were tasty.

25/28. Missed Texas Tommy, Amish friendship bread and burnt almond torte. My grandfather made hog maw up until he passed away in his nineties. I loved it. I just recently found a place that makes it. I love scrapped as well. You can buy a good scrapple at Wegmans in state College.. Called Country Store...

Odd that I have missed Amish friendship bread, I have worked in Lancaster for about 20 years, for the last six right in the middle of the Amish area
I think that the Wegman's "Country Store" stuff is actually made out at the "Country Store" in Muncy. Well worth a trip. They seem to specialize in "casing products" (sausages etc.)

http://www.countrystoremeats.com

19. Just reading "burnt almond torte" got my mouth watering and put two pounds on me.

If Tasty Cake is on the list, Klondikes should also be represented, along with chipped chopped ham.

Guess where I call home.

Klondikes originated from Isaly Dairy, which had its origins in Ohio. In the 1920's Isaly's expanded to Pittsburgh. Isaly's was huge in Youngstown and I used to go to the local one near my grandparents house to get a Klondike bar a lot when I was a kid. My father started working at an Isaly's in downtown Youngstown when he was 14 years old.

My mom would make pierogies with prunes .. oh the humanity!

I suspect that she made them to help with the "process" after a meal of her pierogies with potatoes. I would love to try blueberry perogies.

That is called lekvar and was my father's favorite kind. I had a lot of great cuisine growing up because one half of my family was Italian and the other Eastern European (mostly Ruthenian).

Where I come from it's considered "in the vicinity" :)

But technically speaking, their official address is in "Muncy"

Address: 607 Village Rd, Muncy, PA 17756
Country Store Pennsdale
607 Village Road
Pennsdale, PA 17756
This is the address on their website.

I have eaten 22 of 28. Teaberry ice cream is my favorite and will agree with MtNittany on Eder's - always bring some back to Fairfax when I go visit family in Montoursville area. Also love me some scrapple with a couple of eggs over easy..

19/28... Lactose intolerant, can't do ice cream...:(... thick slice of scrapple crispy on the outside on a sammich with an over easy egg and cheese...

Herr's potato chips, Nottingham (Chester County).

Remember Charles Chips being delivered in big metal cans

Trouble with cheesesteaks anywhere outside of the Phila. area is the rolls...

Pork sammich at the Reading market...

Shoofly pie I still get at the Springs in Somerset County, or I can order one (I like wet bottom) from a local Amish bakery...
PSUTE - I found Charlie Chip's being sold again in the Williamsport area about 6 months ago.. little on the pricey side but think you're paying for the cans...

You said the store was in Muncy. It's in Pennsdale, six miles from Muncy
Talk to the USPS.

You do know that this alleged "Pennsdale" is an "unincorporated community", don't you? As such, it is nothing more than an unimportant, unrecognized "dot on a map".

To demonstrate just how inconsequential Pennsdale is, I have linked for your benefit, the following

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsdale,_Pennsylvania

Kinda nothing:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Talk to the USPS.

You do know that this alleged "Pennsdale" is an "unincorporated community", don't you? As such, it is nothing more than an unimportant, unrecognized "dot on a map".

To demonstrate just how inconsequential Pennsdale is, I have linked for your benefit, the following

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsdale,_Pennsylvania

Kinda nothing:rolleyes:
It's not inconsequential to the people who live there and It's the location of The Country Store.

It doesn't really matter if it is pennsdale or Muncy... yes I've been in store in the vicinity of Hughesville. And yes the scrapple at Wegmans in state College is from there.

PSUTE - I found Charlie Chip's being sold again in the Williamsport area about 6 months ago.. little on the pricey side but think you're paying for the cans...

http://www.charleschips.com/best-chips-story.php

df70da5b4e9e7731c4f53f3c953961e5_full_size.jpg

Reactions: psute
24. You can get a Texas Tommy (although I don't think they call them that) at Texas Hot Dogs in Altoona. Big fan of pickled red beet eggs AND red beets. Almost everyone else in the family say they taste like dirt. I like them a lot - serve hot or cold.

Scrapple is GREAT! Slice it real thin and fry it crispy.

I'll pass on the pig stomach. Don't like organ meats - liver and onions I know has a following, but I don't like it not a bit.

Someone mentioned City Chicken - LOVE city chicken!

Giant carries Bickel's pretzels. I eat them by the bag. Not sure about the chips though.

ADVERTISEMENT