ADVERTISEMENT

OT: you're a true Pennsylvanian if you've eaten 20/28 of these foods...

26 out of 28. Never heard of Burnt Almond Torte and wasn't sure if zucchini planks are the same as fried zucchini or not.

It would be hard to name one Pennsylvania tater chip as there are so many different chip factories here. I grew up eating mostly Middleswarth, with the occasional Gibbles, Good's and Bickel's. First discovered Hartley's when I came to State College. Prefer Hartley's or Good's for plain, Middleswarth for BBQ, Gibble's for red hot & Herr's old bay.

How do you get a 12 or a 13? I'm disappointed. 20 here and I have a weak stomach.

Youz people actually eat this stuff?:eek:

Scrapple, also known by the Pennsylvania Dutch name Pannhaas or "pan rabbit",is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and wheat flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then pan-fried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, not used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste.

Hog maw is the stomach of a pig. More specifically, it is the exterior muscular wall of the stomach organ (with interior, lining mucosa removed) which contains no fat if cleaned properly.

If all that is is fried zucchini, then I've had 25 in that list.

My inlaws' parents ran a butcher shop, so I've had the pleasure of having hog maw.

Scrapple, also known by the Pennsylvania Dutch name Pannhaas or "pan rabbit",is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and wheat flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then pan-fried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, not used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste.

Or as I like to describe it the stuff that didn't make it into the hot dog. LOL.

Reactions: AWS1022
If all that is is fried zucchini, then I've had 25 in that list.

My inlaws' parents ran a butcher shop, so I've had the pleasure of having hog maw.

Yea my Grandparents would butcher on or about the day before Thanksgiving so I'm pretty familiar with all that.
Liver Pudding or Pig Souse was also a favorite of theirs, with vinegar.
Not on my list. LOL.

Reactions: psute and FHSPSU67

Fresh scrapple is the only way to go, For such a bottom of the barrel food, there can be a big difference in quality.

24 for me. It just dawned on me that Boilo isn't on the list?

I've always thought of pierogies as Schuylkill County (hard coal) food...oh well. Every church festival in Central PA serves them up by the thousands.

Scrapple...yum! I remember a small breakfast place in Brant Beach that served a nice thick slice for about 50 cents or so (early 70's). Covered in maple syrup was the best way to start your day.

I may have added a couple of other items to the list such as Asher's Chocolates and Irish Potatoes.

Reactions: poopydanmcbride
Exactly, so nobody really calls it a Philly cheesesteak, just like nobody in Pittsburgh and it's surrounding suburbs calls it a Pittsburgh salad.
I've seen a cheesesteak called a Philly cheesesteak all over the country. Whatever. You got it wrong in your last post. Take a look. No big deal.:)

The coal miners used to say only farmers called them that!
Well I did grow up in a farm town. Almost everyone in town was a potato farmer, growing potatoes for the potato chip plant. My dad was an executive VP in the city, so we were different than most of the town.

Never had a Texas Tommy by name, but it looks like something I may have had before. Anyone know what it is?

Also never had a burnt almond torte, zucchini planks (but I have had several variations of fried zucchini) nor hog maw.

Hog maw is the stomach of a pig. More specifically, it is the exterior muscular wall of the stomach organ (with interior, lining mucosa removed) which contains no fat if cleaned properly.

Hog Maw, aka Dutch Goose, was and is a special occasion dish in my family. You stuff it with potatoes, bread, smoked sausage, onions, celery and herbs and spices and bake it. It's essentially like having your Thanksgiving dressing/stuffing baked inside the bird. It is getting harder to find a butcher that will clean and sell you a pig's stomach.

Reactions: WDLion and FHSPSU67
In central PA, you have Wise potato chips. City chicken needs to be added to the list.

Should have been on the list:

herlocher-dipping-mustard.png

...23 of 28....
...they left out 7-layer salad, pigs stomach, groundhog legs, corn pudding, rhubarb pie and pork and sauerkraut... :)

Reactions: BBrown
25/28. Missed Texas Tommy, Amish friendship bread and burnt almond torte. My grandfather made hog maw up until he passed away in his nineties. I loved it. I just recently found a place that makes it. I love scrapped as well. You can buy a good scrapple at Wegmans in state College.. Called Country Store...

Odd that I have missed Amish friendship bread, I have worked in Lancaster for about 20 years, for the last six right in the middle of the Amish area

I am certain that you can order "Pittsburgh Salads" in Toronto, Ontario and Youngstown, Ohio. I have seen them on menus in "local" joints in both towns. The salads have either steak or chicken and fries on top of the greens, along with loads of cheese. Some joints also serve salmon or swordfish in place of the steak. I think the fries are what make it a "Pittsburgh" salad. Think "Primanti's" sandwich. I've had 19 of the foods mentioned.

Reactions: jim cummings
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT