ADVERTISEMENT

OT: you're a true Pennsylvanian if you've eaten 20/28 of these foods...

Here's an easy recipe for Pickled Beet Eggs. I make them at least twice a year.

1 dozen eggs - hard boiled with shells removed
1 Cup Sugar
3 Bay Leaves
1/2 Cup Water
1 1/2 Cups Vinegar
5 Cloves
2 Cans of Beets; whole or sliced

Bring all ingredients to a boil for 5 minutes. Put eggs into a container that is large enough to hold all the eggs and the boiling mixture. Pour mixture into container and allow to cool. Put a lid onto the container and place into refrigerator for at least 3 days...but the longer the better.

Last edited:
I've had 18, but mainly because I didn't want to eat some of the others. I still have never heard of scrapple.
Whaddaya you mean you've never heard of scrapple? You just heard of it and saw a picture of it.:) My advice, stay away from scrapple. There's a reason mn78 puts maple syrup on it -- to disguise the awful taste.:eek:

I really enjoyed Maurer's Dairy Teaberry, mmmmm.
Since 1927 Montoursville - out the crick:

1-78.jpg

Yea Utz bugged me cause there are at least 3 chip companies I know of in PA, UTZ is more balto.
Also Ritas, I never heard of Ritas until about 10 years ago when I saw the first one in Balto
Utz have been available in north central Pa for as long as i can remember.
Ritas are in most towns in the area.

Last edited:
But if you order this sandwich anywhere outside of Philly, it's just called a cheesesteak, so it's kinda the same thing as what you're saying about the salad, no?
Nope, it's called a Philly cheesesteak in most places. There's a sports pub here in Lexington that serves a great Philly cheesesteak. Order it at Penn Station anywhere and it's called a Philly cheesesteak. Never saw a Pittsburgh salad anywhere.

Utz have been available in north central Pa for as long as i can remember.

Yea you are correct. According to this...
I guess thats why I thought of them of Baltimore.
I was way more familiar with Snyder chips, Middleswarth and Charles Chips.

Our_Story_Banner.png

The Utz Story begins in a small town kitchen in 1921. William and Salie Utz began producing Hanover Home Brand Potato Chips in Hanover, PA, in their summer kitchen, cooking about 50 pounds of chips an hour. They sold those fresh chips to small local grocers and markets, primarily in the Baltimore, MD, area. We hope you enjoy our story

22 of 28 and no kielbasa on the list? Sacrilege! No halupki either or haluski. All way better than a friggin Pittsburgh salad or a hog maw.
I'm with you brother. You are talking heritage foods for me. My wife and I make halupki (stuffed cabbage) once a year and it's one of my favorite foods on this earth.

Reactions: Nitwit and BBrown
Nope, it's called a Philly cheesesteak in most places. There's a sports pub here in Lexington that serves a great Philly cheesesteak. Order it at Penn Station anywhere and it's called a Philly cheesesteak. Never saw a Pittsburgh salad anywhere.
And in Providence, DC, Orlando, San Antonio, Denver, and so on, it's called a cheesesteak. You're correct that even in Pittsburgh I don't believe it's called a Pittsburgh salad. I've seen it called a steak salad (said to actually be created in Rochester, PA), but I guess the name change works for the piece.

I'm with you brother. You are talking heritage foods for me. My wife and I make halupki (stuffed cabbage) once a year and it's one of my favorite foods on this earth.

We called them Pigs in the Blanket or Galumpkis.
I love those things but they are task intensive to make so I make a variation
called Lazy Pigs in the Blanket Casserole.

called Lazy Pigs in the Blanket Casserole.
Pigs in a blanket are hot dogs in a crescent roll....at least the part of PA where I'm from. That was a staple in the elementary school cafeteria.

OMG...forgot about halupki and haluska. Been so long since I had either. They used to serve haluski at the refreshment stand during our high school football games. SOOO good on a cool autumn night.

Reactions: fairgambit
called Pigs in the Blanket Casserole.
Task intensive are the right words. It's why we only make them once a year. We usually make 6 dozen or so and freeze the extras. The Casserole sounds interesting, especially if it results in anywhere near the same taste experience.
Pierogis Plus in McKees Rocks, PA makes a good stuffed cabbage, but charges $3.75 for one.

Pigs in a blanket are hot dogs in a crescent roll....at least the part of PA where I'm from. That was a staple in the elementary school cafeteria.

Yea pretty much everywhere I've been thats what they are known as.
I think the cabbage pigs in a blanket is a western pa thing.

18. Born and raised in western PA but never heard of a Pittsburgh salad. Judging by the photo I'd guess it's just a salad with fries on top. Yeah, I've had that. Some of the other stuff I've never heard of either.

Last edited:
I scored a "12". Not great, especially since I was on a roll with the early questions, but then observed food I have never seen or heard of before.

Reactions: jim cummings
You can't knock the salad with fries if you haven't eaten it. I can remember it 35 years ago when no one had it.

Task intensive are the right words. It's why we only make them once a year. We usually make 6 dozen or so and freeze the extras. The Casserole sounds interesting, especially if it results in anywhere near the same taste experience.

This is the recipe I use.
Only 2 things I do different.
I use a can of tomato sauce instead of soup and I don't completely
brown the hamburger.
Give a shot I think you'll be happy. Its pretty close in taste.

LAZY PIGS IN THE BLANKET CASSEROLE
3 c. chopped cabbage
1 lb. ground beef
1 med. onion
Salt and pepper
4 tbsp. uncooked rice
1 can tomato soup
1 can water

Brown ground beef and onion with salt and pepper. Add tomato soup, rice and water. Simmer 10 minutes. Pour over cabbage in a 2-quart casserole. Don't stir. Cover; bake covered at 325 degrees for 1 hour.

I've never heard of Pittsburgh Salad, Texas Tommy (which apparently was invented in Pottstown), or zucchini planks.

Reactions: Woodpecker
This is the recipe I use.
Only 2 things I do different.
I use a can of tomato sauce instead of soup and I don't completely
brown the hamburger.
Give a shot I think you'll be happy. Its pretty close in taste.

LAZY PIGS IN THE BLANKET CASSEROLE
3 c. chopped cabbage
1 lb. ground beef
1 med. onion
Salt and pepper
4 tbsp. uncooked rice
1 can tomato soup
1 can water

Brown ground beef and onion with salt and pepper. Add tomato soup, rice and water. Simmer 10 minutes. Pour over cabbage in a 2-quart casserole. Don't stir. Cover; bake covered at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
I really appreciate that. It sounds good. I am definitely going to try it when the weather cools a bit. Maybe early September. My wife is on board. I'll let you know the results.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT