ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Phillies Thread.....

The 5-4 loss to the Dodgers on 5/28 is the kind of Phillies performance that drives one nuts
  • They get a great early effort from their starter, Velasquez in this case, who actually gets through 5 innings w/o a hit, but is touched up for 2 runs in the 6th
  • The Phils get some early offense to go up 4-0
  • Another sterling performance by Dominquez who comes in the 6th inning, and gets 4 outs including 3 strike outs
  • In the meantime, as LA scores, the Phils offense is stagnant
  • The bullpen and defense fails in the 8th inning and LA completes the comeback with 3 runs to go up 5-4
  • No counter from the Phils in the 9th (notably, where they pinch hit for a slumping Hoskins) and they lose a game that could have been theirs
Ugh.

Reactions: sluggo72
The 5-4 loss to the Dodgers on 5/28 is the kind of Phillies performance that drives one nuts
  • They get a great early effort from their starter, Velasquez in this case, who actually gets through 5 innings w/o a hit, but is touched up for 2 runs in the 6th
  • The Phils get some early offense to go up 4-0
  • Another sterling performance by Dominquez who comes in the 6th inning, and gets 4 outs including 3 strike outs
  • In the meantime, as LA scores, the Phils offense is stagnant
  • The bullpen and defense fails in the 8th inning and LA completes the comeback with 3 runs to go up 5-4
  • No counter from the Phils in the 9th (notably, where they pinch hit for a slumping Hoskins) and they lose a game that could have been theirs
Ugh.

Just to be fair, Hoskins had a horrible injury during his AB. He fouled a ball directly into his mouth so that Florimon had to complete his AB. It’s not like they pinch hit for him. But everything else you said is correct. That was a bad loss and with Jake going today they should be looking to get back on track.

Reactions: royboy
Just to be fair, Hoskins had a horrible injury during his AB. He fouled a ball directly into his mouth so that Florimon had to complete his AB. It’s not like they pinch hit for him. But everything else you said is correct. That was a bad loss and with Jake going today they should be looking to get back on track.
thanks for that important info....hope Hoskins is okay (and can start hitting better soon)

thanks for that important info....hope Hoskins is okay (and can start hitting better soon)
It looks like they are getting Hoskins out by pitching inside early, get ahead and then he goes fishing for breaking stuff outside. I think he should be more aggressive early in the count, go up there hacking not watching.

On the banks of the Delaware tonight for the Trenton Thunder - Reading Phightin Phils game and good to see Ricky Bo throw out tonight's first pitch...lol

On the banks of the Delaware tonight for the Trenton Thunder - Reading Phightin Phils game and good to see Ricky Bo throw out tonight's first pitch...lol

For some god forsaken reason, I’m heading to Reading on Monday morning for the 9:45AM game. Should be interesting watching a game for breakfast.

Nola was Nola tonight and limited LA to just 2 hits. But two great defensive plays won the game tonight along with great relief pitching. A really good effort to eek one out 2-1 in a pitchers’ duel.

Nola was Nola tonight and limited LA to just 2 hits. But two great defensive plays won the game tonight along with great relief pitching. A really good effort to eek one out 2-1 in a pitchers’ duel.

Very nice win tonight

Nola -- All-Star worthy performance so far this year

Dominguez -- 6-out save; thank goodness; for the season so far
11 appearances 13.2 innings 2 hits 0 runs 0 walks 15 Strikeouts

Nola -- All-Star worthy performance so far this year

Dominguez -- 6-out save; thank goodness; for the season so far
11 appearances 13.2 innings 2 hits 0 runs 0 walks 15 Strikeouts
pretty special talent there. young with HEAT and control. not very common

Becoming more apparent that pure lack of offense is the Phillies weakness

On this West Coast swing, in 6 games so far vs Dodgers and Giants, the Phils have scored 8 runs, and been shutout the last two games. Starting pitching remains strong, but getting little run support. Team is now 13th of 15 in NL in batting avg.

On this West Coast swing, in 6 games so far vs Dodgers and Giants, the Phils have scored 8 runs, and been shutout the last two games. Starting pitching remains strong, but getting little run support. Team is now 13th of 15 in NL in batting avg.

Alarming stuff, certainly. Really alarming.

Yep. The line up is just plain bad.

Folks, that loss is a killer. To battle back from a 3-0 deficit and take the lead in the 9th 5-3, and to give up a slam in the bottom of the 9th is brutal. Morgan has never been a big spot pitcher.

Dylan Cozens called up to the Big Show?
And, boom, a 2-run HR by Cozens in the top of the 9th to give the Phils a 5-3 lead over the Cubs!

Oh, no! after Dominquez has a 1-2-3 8th inning in relief, he gets in some trouble in the 9th, giving up a hit and a walk. The Phils pull him for Morgan, who gets an out but then gives up a walk and faces Heyward with 2 outs and bases loaded....yep, walk-off grand slam; Phils lose 7-5.

Reactions: Relayer
Brutal. On a 2-2 pitch. Waste one. Waste two even, a walk doesn't hurt you. Throw that 84 change up. Didn't like pulling Dominguez. Standing around out on the bases didn't help him. Ironically they walk him. SMH.

Brutal. On a 2-2 pitch. Waste one. Waste two even, a walk doesn't hurt you. Throw that 84 change up. Didn't like pulling Dominguez. Standing around out on the bases didn't help him. Ironically they walk him. SMH.

He should’ve waived at three pitches.

I. Can’t. Stand. Gabe. Kapler.

Terrible answer by Kapler in the post game interview. They asked him about this loss being a moral victory and he went on to praise his players and how they battled. What? This loss sucked big time you dork.

Terrible answer by Kapler in the post game interview. They asked him about this loss being a moral victory and he went on to praise his players and how they battled. What? This loss sucked big time you dork.

He's not going to address it but his shifts, while sometimes useful, are not well backed up as we saw tonight. There are a lot of moving parts to his system. It's going to be a learning curve if he stays long enough for it to matter.

I think Heyward was hitting .139 against lefties prior to that salami

Wasn't sure if things could get worse today, but they did. Chatwood gives up 4 hits, 7 walks and a hit batter in less than 5 innings and the Phils scored 1 run.

Why would Pivetta fake a bunt, then swing away and end up grounding into a double play with first and second with no outs? That's not easy to do for established hitters.

Can baseball get rid of the stupid blocking the plate rule? That's baseball! A great throw and tag gets overturned.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/phillie...,lock_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=530341

Can baseball get rid of the stupid blocking the plate rule? That's baseball! A great throw and tag gets overturned.

Buster Posey says hi

It seemed to me that the catcher was moving to catch the ball more so than trying to block the plate.

Wasn't sure if things could get worse today, but they did. Chatwood gives up 4 hits, 7 walks and a hit batter in less than 5 innings and the Phils scored 1 run.

If I recall correctly, the Phils ended up being walked 9 times, and had 1 hit batter, in the entire game, and only 1 of those 10 baserunners scored. You can't blame all of that on bad luck, or just the nature of baseball.

If I recall correctly, the Phils ended up being walked 9 times, and had 1 hit batter, in the entire game, and only 1 of those 10 baserunners scored. You can't blame all of that on bad luck, or just the nature of baseball.
The Phillies now rank 26th out of 30 MLB teams in batting avg. and 29th in total bases.

The Phillies now rank 26th out of 30 MLB teams in batting avg. and 29th in total bases.
They have to be near the bottom in defensive stats, too.

I realize they got off to a good start and their starting pitching is pretty good. But I just can’t bring myself to feel optimistic. Every young player - the guys being counted on to contend in the future - is struggling. Kingery and Crawford are not major league players yet. Williams is a slow starter, I like him a lot but the manager has to get him out there everyday. There’s not much power and a ton of strikeouts in the lineup. I’m not a big believer in Hoskins, either, but I know he has not played 100 games yet.

Ahhh, rats, I’m just old and running out of time. :(

They have to be near the bottom in defensive stats, too.

I realize they got off to a good start and their starting pitching is pretty good. But I just can’t bring myself to feel optimistic. Every young player - the guys being counted on to contend in the future - is struggling. Kingery and Crawford are not major league players yet. Williams is a slow starter, I like him a lot but the manager has to get him out there everyday. There’s not much power and a ton of strikeouts in the lineup. I’m not a big believer in Hoskins, either, but I know he has not played 100 games yet.

Ahhh, rats, I’m just old and running out of time. :(
I am still a believer in Hoskins. This DL stint may be a needed break to refocus. I still like Kingery, but I think using him everywhere defensively has some affect on offense. Crawford is the one I am most worried about in the names you mention. He has no track record of decent offense, so hard to expect anything different at this level.

Reactions: bmw199
I am still a believer in Hoskins. This DL stint may be a needed break to refocus. I still like Kingery, but I think using him everywhere defensively has some affect on offense. Crawford is the one I am most worried about in the names you mention. He has no track record of decent offense, so hard to expect anything different at this level.
I agree with this about Crawford--but I'll note that Bowa eventually figured it out. So there's a chance. But it's easier to figure things out if some of the other guys on your team can hit a bit.

I agree with this about Crawford--but I'll note that Bowa eventually figured it out. So there's a chance. But it's easier to figure things out if some of the other guys on your team can hit a bit.
Bowa offense doesn't cut it these days. And Crawford doesn't have Bowa's wheels.

Phillies killer Ryan Braun is in town, and up to his old tricks (2 HRs tonight so far).

Somebody arrest this guy, or at least give him a blood test.

Him and Freeman, and Daniel Murphy. Everybody in the league is the next Phillie-killer. Murphy should be in a Phils uniform. He must be hitting .778 against the Phils. Freeman must be hitting .997

Reactions: LundyPSU
I’ve found myself becoming distracted by other aspects of the broadcasts the last week or so. Is there any worse broadcasting team in professional sports than the Phillies? T Mac seems to always mention who is in attendance from the Phillies traveling organization as if (1) anyone knows who he is talking about, and (2) anyone cares that they have travelled to the West Coast with the team.

If that wasn’t bad enough, someone thought that the hallway cam in Wrigley became interesting after the first game so that they had to show the hallway cam every inning in Wrigley for the remainder of the series, informing us as to who the nobody was walking at that particular moment as if we care.

Now tonight, we had to listen to Kruk and T Mac talk about their upcoming change in broadcast location down the LF line and what they would be wearing, whether Kruk would be attempting to field foul balls, etc. I guess when the BrewCrew is beating your brains out, this is the diversion you need.

I’m sure Kruk remains popular, but he is horrible.

I always knew that after listening to the magic of Harry and Whitey for decades that there was HELL to pay on the back end.

I actually long for Wheels again. Bring back the old Nit and I’d be happy. Just make T Mac and Kruk STFU. Michael Jack even comes off looking good and that is saying something.

Never liked Tommy McCarthy. Davis is pretty good. Wheeler wasn't as bad as people let on. I enjoy Schmitty on the weekends but the generation gap is comical sometimes. Ricky Bo on the TV post game show is tremendous. No bullshiz, tells it like it is. The problem is McCarthy works for the Phillies and Botallico doesn't, so when the team is crap McCarthy is going to talk about sandwiches and sitting down the LF line. Botallico is going to give you the hard truth.

I had the last game of the Cubs series on the XM in the car and it was the Cubs' crew. I like their radio crew, I must say. The one guy is Coomer, I forget the other. They were very even keeled and for homer announcers they weren't over the top. Enjoyed listening to them.

Never liked Tommy McCarthy. Davis is pretty good. Wheeler wasn't as bad as people let on. I enjoy Schmitty on the weekends but the generation gap is comical sometimes. Ricky Bo on the TV post game show is tremendous. No bullshiz, tells it like it is. The problem is McCarthy works for the Phillies and Botallico doesn't, so when the team is crap McCarthy is going to talk about sandwiches and sitting down the LF line. Botallico is going to give you the hard truth.

I had the last game of the Cubs series on the XM in the car and it was the Cubs' crew. I like their radio crew, I must say. The one guy is Coomer, I forget the other. They were very even keeled and for homer announcers they weren't over the top. Enjoyed listening to them.

The thing that drives me crazy about T Mac is that every close play or pitch, he thinks it goes the Phillies way. When it involves the other team, they are ALWAYS out or it’s a strike. It’s impossible for every close play or pitch to always be in one team’s favor. The sad thing is that after watching all these games and being in the company of people who played it at a high and even HOF level, he still doesn’t know the game that well. He’s horrible.

Schmidt at least tries to provide an insight into technique, strategy, etc even if it might be dated a tad and relates to a game that has changed. But at least he gives you something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT