ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Phillies Thread.....

If this team somehow manages to stay in the hunt, Neris will be a reason they do. The manager is killing the bullpen. I’m sure if you ask every reliever in MLB, they will tell you that having a defined role is critical. This musical chair nonsense that this knit wit has employed has made every guy in the pen unsure. Neris lost confidence and it doesn’t help that they call for his fastball a disproportionate amount of time. Neris was too good for stretches last year. I hope he gets back on track in LV. He will be needed. I’d go Neris 7, Ramos 8, Dominguez 9 until Neshek is ready. But the knit wit will continue to screw it up.
To paraphrase an old Ashburn comment, I hope Neris has long arms...

Went to bed after the Top of the 10th disgusted.

I turned on Sportscenter this morning with Van Pelt to see the Bad Beats section and fully expected to see the Phillies game with the '3rd Out' Strikeout.... I couldn't believe it when they DID put it up but for the bad beat on the over and not the Phillies money line. Totally shocked they pulled it out.

....and the bullpen strikes again. Don't worry, the manager has complete confidence in all his pitchers. Seriously, he needs to address this problem with management. It's cost this team a bunch of wins this year.

....and the bullpen strikes again. Don't worry, the manager has complete confidence in all his pitchers. Seriously, he needs to address this problem with management. It's cost this team a bunch of wins this year.

Who was the culprit tonight?

Tommy Hunter, came in with 1 out and 2 on in the 7th, with Phils leading 4-2
Double, infield single, double, and it's 6-4 Cards.
Ruined a good start by Velasquez.

Jesus. Stopped watching when they were up 4-2 to help my son set up his phone. Frustrating

Tommy Hunter, came in with 1 out and 2 on in the 7th, with Phils leading 4-2
Double, infield single, double, and it's 6-4 Cards.
Ruined a good start by Velasquez.

Not what we were expecting when they signed him for 2 years at 9 mil per season. Right now he's stealing money.

Kapler actually said "Tommy wasn't bad, but got beat by some good hitters. Sometimes you have to tip your cap to the opposition." Wow!

It’s easy to pile on but only Corey Seidman stated the obvious tonight. Up 4-2, Cards with 2 runners on and you go to Hunter in 7th. This was the situation you have been using Seranthony in up to this point. Instead, you go Hunter. So what changed? Is Dominguez now your ninth inning guy? If not officially in that role, how come you went to Hunter in what was the highest leverage spot in the game?

Would have been interested in the answer.

On another note, that broadcast was torture. For about 2 innings it was basically a non stop commercial for the food at the Money Pit. They brought down a pile of slop than had Kruk go ona road trip to see the Bull. That was like getting your meat stuck in your zipper having to listen to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Relayer
Kapler actually said "Tommy wasn't bad, but got beat by some good hitters. Sometimes you have to tip your cap to the opposition." Wow!
look like he was throwing batting practice. straight over the plate and up in the zone

It’s easy to pile on but only Corey Seidman stated the obvious tonight. Up 4-2, Cards with 2 runners on and you go to Hunter in 7th. This was the situation you have been using Seranthony in up to this point. Instead, you go Hunter. So what changed? Is Dominguez now your ninth inning guy? If not officially in that role, how come you went to Hunter in what was the highest leverage spot in the game?

Would have been interested in the answer.

On another note, that broadcast was torture. For about 2 innings it was basically a non stop commercial for the food at the Money Pit. They brought down a pile of slip than had Kruk go ona road trip to see the Bull. That was like getting your meat stuck in your zipper having to listen to that.
Struggling to find answers in the pen. Understatement. Neshek back soon. Hope it helps. In addition to the pen struggles, the offense has so many opportunities to add on earlier in the game and they don't.

nice win today for the Phils

Yes it was. Was hot down there today. I continue to shake my head at Odubel. Went from smoking hot to being lost and now his foot is down and timing is locked in. Hit it hard today and his dinger was a rocket. He’s hard to figure out.

Yes it was. Was hot down there today. I continue to shake my head at Odubel. Went from smoking hot to being lost and now his foot is down and timing is locked in. Hit it hard today and his dinger was a rocket. He’s hard to figure out.

I hear you. I think it’s his goofy stance. There is so much movement that when the timing is off (and the foot isn’t down) he can’t hit. No one can.

I’m sure it’s how he’s comfortable hitting, but I think he’d more consistent with a slight adjustment in his physical approach at the plate

You know the Phillies are a good closing relief pitcher and an upgrade at 3rd base away from being a legit playoff team. Starting rotation is pitching really well and is a pretty deep rotation. Just need something out there in the bullpen that can give them some reliability and then that allows everybody else to be slotted down one peg and be acceptable. And they need another legit major league hitter in the line-up and they are not going to be able to upgrade Santana due to money, Kingery they are rolling with, Hernandez is playing well, and they have plenty of young bats in the outfield they need to give a shot to. That leaves 3rd base and Franco to upgrade to somebody that can come in and hit 5th (assuming you leave Santana at the clean up spot and hope he comes around).

You know the Phillies are a good closing relief pitcher and an upgrade at 3rd base away from being a legit playoff team. Starting rotation is pitching really well and is a pretty deep rotation. Just need something out there in the bullpen that can give them some reliability and then that allows everybody else to be slotted down one peg and be acceptable. And they need another legit major league hitter in the line-up and they are not going to be able to upgrade Santana due to money, Kingery they are rolling with, Hernandez is playing well, and they have plenty of young bats in the outfield they need to give a shot to. That leaves 3rd base and Franco to upgrade to somebody that can come in and hit 5th (assuming you leave Santana at the clean up spot and hope he comes around).
Machado!!! I'm sold on parting with Haseley, Medina, Irvin, and Franco for him. IDK if Baltimore would be

Plus, it will be interesting to see if the Orioles can negotiate a trade with a team that wants to plug Machado at 3rd. Its certainly in their best interest, gives them more trade partners. But is Machado willing to play 3rd?

Plus, it will be interesting to see if the Orioles can negotiate a trade with a team that wants to plug Machado at 3rd. Its certainly in their best interest, gives them more trade partners. But is Machado willing to play 3rd?
Was thinking that as well. He wants to play SS. So any chance of resigning him will hinge on playing SS.

I didn't say that. Baltimore will get an elite prospect or two regardless
Last espn article had them getting Devers or Andujar. I wouldn't call either elite. Median is top 100 and Haseley was a high 1st rounder likely just outside the top 100.

Last espn article had them getting Devers or Andujar. I wouldn't call either elite. Median is top 100 and Haseley was a high 1st rounder likely just outside the top 100.
But I would say Devers or Andujar have more value. Haseley has been better lately. But Devers and Andujar are currently producing at MLB level

Machado!!! I'm sold on parting with Haseley, Medina, Irvin, and Franco for him. IDK if Baltimore would be
IMO, too much to give up unless Manny agrees to sign a long term deal. That is 3 of the top ten prospects for a 2 month rental.

IMO, too much to give up unless Manny agrees to sign a long term deal. That is 3 of the top ten prospects for a 2 month rental.
Yea, you'd definitely want some sort of handshake deal. Otherwise I agree the package would be less. I don't think The Yankees or Sox would give any prospect in their top 10 in addition to Devers or Andujar, which is why I think the Phils can win that bidding war.

Another solid win in DC. How about a sweep tomorrow before welcoming those New York Yankees to town?
Franco led the way with a four hit game.....hopefully he has broken out. If he gets hot....the Phils could be quite interesting the rest of the season. Lots more to go....but it seems that their young manager has finally started to figure it out as well. Fun bunch to watch !

Franco gets hot amid trade rumors for a 3rd baseman and goes 4 for 4. Relief pitching was good today and they played solid baseball. This team just needs to be a little deeper at relief pitching and another power piece.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
Franco gets hot amid trade rumors for a 3rd baseman and goes 4 for 4. Relief pitching was good today and they played solid baseball. This team just needs to be a little deeper at relief pitching and another power piece.
I agree....apparently the GM said yesterday that he might consider a "Veteran Rental" for the stretch run . The fact that he is even willing to be quoted on that topic within the interview tells me something about upper management feeling that they might be capable of a playoff spot. The phils have lots of money this coming off season to make moves for next season as well.

Franco led the way with a four hit game.....hopefully he has broken out. If he gets hot....the Phils could be quite interesting the rest of the season. Lots more to go....but it seems that their young manager has finally started to figure it out as well. Fun bunch to watch !

He’s being bombarded, that’s for sure. Between his hands placement and attempting to increase his launch angle to reduce beating balls into the dirt, they are asking him to change a lot but it’s change for the good and should serve him well. He’s strong enough to hit it out anywhere so if he ever realizes that he doesn’t have to yank everything, he will be productive. He is still young enough to have a good career. I can tell you that no player has come through the organization where the opinions have been so varied. From MVP caliber player to a player who is not viewed as being a long term asset, he’s had them all.

Just win baby. Bury the Nats with the Mets. Bury them with a shovel and then bury the shovel. Time to make a statement tomorrow. Wash is on hard times. They are batting Harper leadoff or 2 and he's still not getting on. Notorious Phillie Killer Murphy is on hard times. Strike while the iron is hot. And a big thank you to the O's this weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT