ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Phillies Thread.....

His defense has been bad too. Three years at 60 mil isn't looking so good right now.
Never appreciated Galvis until I've had 20+ games of Crawford and other fill ins including Kingery. Pitcher they got for Galvis is doing well at Lehigh and could break the lefty starting streak. Now realizing the value of Galvis' D and .240 avg. out of the 8 hole. Not sure the two primary replacements are hitting a combined .240, i know, that's a joke, but neither has performed at a major league level. Ask the pitchers whom they would rather have. Santana has deprived Williams and Altherr of needed playing time thus minimizing any potential trade value for either. While I'm on a rant, who is making the draft choices? Last three #1's, I think, Randolph, Moniak and Hasely, all low minors and NONE in MLB's top 100 prospects. Who gets the blame???

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
ugh...2-1 loss to the Marlins in 10

Phils can still be frustrating -- left 2 on base in the 9th after a lead-off double and 3 on base in the 10th
1-10 with Runners in Scoring Position, including 0-3 from Franco

Good start from young Zach Eflin who went 6 innings and gave up 3 hits and 1 run

Never appreciated Galvis until I've had 20+ games of Crawford and other fill ins including Kingery. Pitcher they got for Galvis is doing well at Lehigh and could break the lefty starting streak. Now realizing the value of Galvis' D and .240 avg. out of the 8 hole. Not sure the two primary replacements are hitting a combined .240, i know, that's a joke, but neither has performed at a major league level. Ask the pitchers whom they would rather have. Santana has deprived Williams and Altherr of needed playing time thus minimizing any potential trade value for either. While I'm on a rant, who is making the draft choices? Last three #1's, I think, Randolph, Moniak and Hasely, all low minors and NONE in MLB's top 100 prospects. Who gets the blame???

Was not happy to see Galvis go. Moniak is years away, if ever. I know he's a kid and things happen. If he gets good the Phillies like to wait until guys are 25 to bring them up.

Another excellent outing for Nola as the Phils win 6-0; Nola pitched shut out ball on 4 hits and went into the 8th inning

Perhaps this is overly simple, but the Phils do well when their starting pitchers have quality starts, going at least 6 innings and allowing 3 or fewer runs; they score runs reasonably well (14th out of 30 in MLB) considering they hit poorly for average (26th out of 30).

When the starters don't do well, the opposing teams get into their bullpen early and the bleeding tends to continue. Phils relief pitching on the back end is pretty good, but not middle or long relief it seems. And they don't do well in just outscoring their opponents in that type game.

So, after one month plus, it appears they have a path to winning baseball, if a slightly narrow path. As noted, the early schedule has been on the easy side. I feel okay with thinking about a .500 season, maybe a shade better.

Reactions: Relayer
As of 5/6/18, I can’t stand Kapler. He overmanages. He and probably Klentak are ruining Nick Williams. They tried the same crap from the start with Obudel and Maikel. Kingery and Hoskins are his pets. And who bats Andrew Knapp ahead of Franco. Oddly, I’m not as against his playing Santana, but Klentak shouldn’t have signed him to begin with. That started the ruination of Nick Williams.

As of 5/6/18, I can’t stand Kapler. He overmanages. He and probably Klentak are ruining Nick Williams. They tried the same crap from the start with Obudel and Maikel. Kingery and Hoskins are his pets. And who bats Andrew Knapp ahead of Franco. Oddly, I’m not as against his playing Santana, but Klentak shouldn’t have signed him to begin with. That started the ruination of Nick Williams.

As of 5/6, I can't stand the whole organization. I agree with your comments and right now, I don't see a single, potentially great everyday player. Journeymen. The only thing they've done right is Nola.

As of 5/6, I can't stand the whole organization. I agree with your comments and right now, I don't see a single, potentially great everyday player. Journeymen. The only thing they've done right is Nola.

Well, there is something between great and journeyman — good. I think the Phightins have some of those.

Hoskins? He could use some help in the lineup, but he looks legit IMO.

These guys need the analytics group to determine proper wiping but they have no issues running Santana out there today who was career 3-43 against Max.

The article in the Inky today shows you the magnitude of their analytics.

These guys need the analytics group to determine proper wiping but they have no issues running Santana out there today who was career 3-43 against Max.

The article in the Inky today shows you the magnitude of their analytics.

Yeah, I believe they reported that fact on the audio, and I thought: WTH??? And then I thought: They're paying this guy millions, so they're going to play him come hell or high water.

Yeah, I believe they reported that fact on the audio, and I thought: WTH??? And then I thought: They're paying this guy millions, so they're going to play him come hell or high water.

I guess the only thing I’d say is that most people have lousy numbers against him. But with all their moves governed by this stuff whether it be pitching matchups, fielding tendencies, etc., you might have thought it was a good day to give Santana a break.

I guess the only thing I’d say is that most people have lousy numbers against him. But with all their moves governed by this stuff whether it be pitching matchups, fielding tendencies, etc., you might have thought it was a good day to give Santana a break.

I don’t have a problem with having a bunch of high on-base guys on the team —in fact, I relish it. But not at the expense on making a young player like Nick Williams the odd man out.

They already have some guys who will take their walks — Hoskins, Hernandez, Crawford, Obudel (when he’s in the right mood). And Aaron Alther will see a lot of pitches. So it’s not that they are a team devoid of high on-base percentage guys.

The thing is, they give a guy like Kingery who doesn’t draw walks and has never played a major league game a multi- year deal. But Williams? Yeah, I realize he drew only 20 walks since his call-up in late June last year. But he hit .272 with 12 homers. Let’s see what he can do. Since Santana has been signed, at least platoon Williams with Alther in right and replace him with Alther if the team has a late-inning lead in games in which he (Williams) starts.

But, I guess Williams has an “attitude.” Well, he was in the lineup last night and had a couple of hits. So, we’ll see what happens, I guess.

I don’t have a problem with having a bunch of high on-base guys on the team —in fact, I relish it. But not at the expense on making a young player like Nick Williams the odd man out.

They already have some guys who will take their walks — Hoskins, Hernandez, Crawford, Obudel (when he’s in the right mood). And Aaron Alther will see a lot of pitches. So it’s not that they are a team devoid of high on-base percentage guys.

The thing is, they give a guy like Kingery who doesn’t draw walks and has never played a major league game a multi- year deal. But Williams? Yeah, I realize he drew only 20 walks since his call-up in late June last year. But he hit .272 with 12 homers. Let’s see what he can do. Since Santana has been signed, at least platoon Williams with Alther in right and replace him with Alther if the team has a late-inning lead in games in which he (Williams) starts.

But, I guess Williams has an “attitude.” Well, he was in the lineup last night and had a couple of hits. So, we’ll see what happens, I guess.

The whole thing is frustrating. Nick had a couple of hiccups in the minors that were well chronicled but he played hard and played the right way every day last year after being called up. He has always had bad walk numbers but was very productive last year for the big club. He derserved the chance to build upon that. Altherr is interesting but has been injured a lot but somehow got the early season nod.

Kingery is obviously a foundation piece and I only hope that Hernandez does not get caught in the mix and wind up being collateral damage.

Reactions: Lefty Hill
I did get to go to the ballpark while on vacation--the day game vs Arizona. Nice to be at the ball park again--and of course got stuck in the usual traffic on the Schuykill--both ways.

Phils beating teams they should beat.Every game counts of course.They need to win a series against wash and the mets.Esp the mets.Lets go phils

Playing great at home ... need to start winning more of those road games.
SweepSF.jpg

@Grant Green

You're right with some of these shifts. Often work wonders. When they don't guys like me get all hissy. LOL. I will dial down the outrage.
I get it. It's hard to evaluate them because when they go wrong, it can result in runs or losses and look ugly. Hard to evaluate the difference when they go right.

Jayson Stark did an article on Kapler, but I can't view it because it's a pay site. Anyway, he previewed it and talked about how Kapler came around after the first few games and stopped over-managing. He also invited the boos from the fans saying that he needs to listen to all criticism. Would love to see him get a good balance of analytics and feel.

https://www.mlb.com/video/jayson-stark-on-kapler-weather/c-1955951783

Now 7-14 in the division.

I know, I should be happy they're 1/2 game out of first but what you posted is the problem. Can't beat ATL, now can't beat NYM. Freddie Freeman would hit .899 if he only played the Phillies. Should have taken 2 of 3 against the Nats down there but blew the Scherzer game. I wanted .500 at the beginning of the season and that's what we'll get so...OK I guess but these games light me up.

Can the Phils play .500 ball?

With a 4-1 win over the Orioles and a quarter of the way into the season, they are now playing .600 ball.
This first part of the schedule has been very favorable. Happy they are playing well and building confidence.

This first part of the schedule has been very favorable. Happy they are playing well and building confidence.
I know this was the thought before the season, but the Braves are in first, the Pirates are in first, the D-Backs are in first. Mets, Nats, and Even San Fran above .500. If that's the favorable part of the schedule then you're suggesting the standings in every division are going to flip...

I will admit June does look considerably harder.

What gives me hope now about this year is if the Phils lose a bad game they should have won (most recent example is the Washington game where Neris blew the 1-0 lead with one out and nobody on in the 9th), they seem to have the starting pitching to bounce back and win the next day or the day after without getting involved in a protracted slide as has been the case in years past. Stay close and anything can happen. The division is close. Some of the MLB divisions have multiple teams that are already effectively playing out the string.

Reactions: royboy
What gives me hope now about this year is if the Phils lose a bad game they should have won (most recent example is the Washington game where Neris blew the 1-0 lead with one out and nobody on in the 9th), they seem to have the starting pitching to bounce back and win the next day or the day after without getting involved in a protracted slide as has been the case in years past. Stay close and anything can happen. The division is close. Some of the MLB divisions have multiple teams that are already effectively playing out the string.

Yeah, the starting pitching has been very good. Of 30 MLB teams, the Phils are 3rd in ERA and 3rd in Quality Starts.
Offensively, 14th of 30 in runs scored.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching

I've seen occasional Cole Hamels trade rumors - nothing serious, just banter.

What do people think about this if the Phils only traded a few prospects? There are currently no lefties in the starting rotation. Cole has a 3.48 ERA.

Reactions: Nitwit97 and bmw199
I've seen occasional Cole Hamels trade rumors - nothing serious, just banter.

What do people think about this if the Phils only traded a few prospects? There are currently no lefties in the starting rotation. Cole has a 3.48 ERA.
I am all for it provided the cost isnt too high.

Reactions: Grant Green
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT