ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Phillies Thread.....

I’ve found myself becoming distracted by other aspects of the broadcasts the last week or so. Is there any worse broadcasting team in professional sports than the Phillies? T Mac seems to always mention who is in attendance from the Phillies traveling organization as if (1) anyone knows who he is talking about, and (2) anyone cares that they have travelled to the West Coast with the team.

If that wasn’t bad enough, someone thought that the hallway cam in Wrigley became interesting after the first game so that they had to show the hallway cam every inning in Wrigley for the remainder of the series, informing us as to who the nobody was walking at that particular moment as if we care.

Now tonight, we had to listen to Kruk and T Mac talk about their upcoming change in broadcast location down the LF line and what they would be wearing, whether Kruk would be attempting to field foul balls, etc. I guess when the BrewCrew is beating your brains out, this is the diversion you need.

I’m sure Kruk remains popular, but he is horrible.

I always knew that after listening to the magic of Harry and Whitey for decades that there was HELL to pay on the back end.

I actually long for Wheels again. Bring back the old Nit and I’d be happy. Just make T Mac and Kruk STFU. Michael Jack even comes off looking good and that is saying something.

And yes .... Kruk and Tmac are horrific

The thing that drives me crazy about T Mac is that every close play or pitch, he thinks it goes the Phillies way.

This is because he is an employee of the Philadelphia Phillies. He had a gem tonight too. Luis Garcia came in in the 9th with a 5-1 lead and promptly gave up four consecutive singles. Now it's 5-2, bases loaded and nobody out for Colorado. After Seranthony came in he said "Garcia scuffled a bit tonight." Yeah he scuffled. He didn't record an out. I was laughing.

Reactions: sluggo72
Thank God for Seranthony

At some point, I hope he isn’t reaching for his arm. He is throwing way too many high stress pitches at this point. It’s pretty obvious that the manager only trusts him in the pen. But the Phillies are doing what they do, putting their young players into stressful situations. Last year it was hitting Nick and Hoskins where they did. This year it’s leaning way too much on Dominguez early and hitting a scuffling Kingery 3rd. Shaking my head.

This is because he is an employee of the Philadelphia Phillies. He had a gem tonight too. Luis Garcia came in in the 9th with a 5-1 lead and promptly gave up four consecutive singles. Now it's 5-2, bases loaded and nobody out for Colorado. After Seranthony came in he said "Garcia scuffled a bit tonight." Yeah he scuffled. He didn't record an out. I was laughing.

I get it but it’s ridiculous after awhile. It’s like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Thankfully the Phils are done with the Brewers after this weekend. Another game that was unwatchable tonight.

Reactions: delcoLion
How many runs has Arietta given up since he called out his teammates? Just do your job Jake

I agree with you but, man, do they boot the ball around. Hitting and defense are pathetic.

I just took a quick look at the minors. The kid they took last year (Hasely sp?) is the only guy producing. I would add Quinn but he's DL again. All the others with some numbers look to be career minor leaguers. This organization is in trouble. :(

I agree with you but, man, do they boot the ball around. Hitting and defense are pathetic.

I just took a quick look at the minors. The kid they took last year (Hasely sp?) is the only guy producing. I would add Quinn but he's DL again. All the others with some numbers look to be career minor leaguers. This organization is in trouble. :(
Yeah, not saying he wasn't right. But keep it out of the media and in the locker room.

Never liked Tommy McCarthy. Davis is pretty good. Wheeler wasn't as bad as people let on. I enjoy Schmitty on the weekends but the generation gap is comical sometimes. Ricky Bo on the TV post game show is tremendous. No bullshiz, tells it like it is. The problem is McCarthy works for the Phillies and Botallico doesn't, so when the team is crap McCarthy is going to talk about sandwiches and sitting down the LF line. Botallico is going to give you the hard truth.

I had the last game of the Cubs series on the XM in the car and it was the Cubs' crew. I like their radio crew, I must say. The one guy is Coomer, I forget the other. They were very even keeled and for homer announcers they weren't over the top. Enjoyed listening to them.

I like the Cubs radio guys too and you’re right about what you say about them. And the other guy is Pat Hughes, I believe. I also like the San Francisco guys.

Meanwhile, LOVE Scott Franzke. LA is grumpy, sometimes to the point of where it really gets annoying. Actually, he’s OK when he’s NOT talking about baseball. He and Franzke were hilarious this past Sunday when they were talking about LA’s dog being afraid of lightning.

Phillies are probably the only team in baseball where the radio crew is better than the TV guys.

I like the Cubs radio guys too and you’re right about what you say about them. And the other guy is Pat Hughes, I believe. I also like the San Francisco guys.

Meanwhile, LOVE Scott Franzke. LA is grumpy, sometimes to the point of where it really gets annoying. Actually, he’s OK when he’s NOT talking about baseball. He and Franzke were hilarious this past Sunday when they were talking about LA’s dog being afraid of lightning.

Phillies are probably the only team in baseball where the radio crew is better than the TV guys.

Franzke is great. Million dollar voice and inflection, like he's an anachronism from a bygone era.

Franzke is great. Million dollar voice and inflection, like he's an anachronism from a bygone era.

Plus he is a Jersey Shore guy- Somers Point. Can’t say I have ever seen him in the local watering holes. Probably more a reflection of me as opposed to him.

Reactions: Nitwit
THIS team is averaging double digit strikeouts every game. 14 strikeouts today even though they won. The team needs to put the ball in play.

Agreed. Actually heard him interviewed once and asked why he doesn’t do TV. He said he very much prefers doing the radio call. Loves the story telling aspect of the radio call

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
29th of 30 MLB teams in number of hits; 26th in batting avg.

So? I mean, the Phillies are certainly a below average club offensively but those stats are relatively meaningless.

The Phillies are 11 out of 15 in the NL in runs scored, 4.21 runs/game (league average is 4.33). Again, certainly below average but BA alone is a mediocre predictor of run scoring capability. And using MLB team stats over NL-only ones is silly given the presence of the DL in the junior league - not remotely an apples to apples comparison.

So? I mean, the Phillies are certainly a below average club offensively but those stats are relatively meaningless.

The Phillies are 11 out of 15 in the NL in runs scored, 4.21 runs/game (league average is 4.33). Again, certainly below average but BA alone is a mediocre predictor of run scoring capability. And using MLB team stats over NL-only ones is silly given the presence of the DL in the junior league - not remotely an apples to apples comparison.
Whatever. They don't hit well as a team.

I am pleased to see Hoskins come back strong after his injury and sitting out a spell. He hit a bomb today.

https://www.mlb.com/phillies/video/hoskins-solo-homer/c-2162510283

Reactions: Nitwit
Neris should not be allowed on the plane home. How long are they going to keep sending the guy out there?

I don’t understand the approach with him. Since every guy now throws 95, throwing straight as a string 95 gets you killed. He throws the pitch he consistently gets hurt on more it seems than the pitch that is his only out pitch. But the catcher keeps putting down #1. I don’t get it. If you’re going to get tattooed, get beat on your split. I think a lot about Lidge at times. By the end his fastball was not good. I didn’t care if they beat him on his out pitch, just don’t throw the fastball.

I think a lot about Wagner. Remember when people watched the radar hoping to see 100. Now Dominguez throws 99 whenever he wants. Just shows you how the game has changed. Every team has a guy with Wagner Velo now. Amazing.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
The good news is Neshek might be available in 10 days or so.

Neris should not be allowed on the plane home. How long are they going to keep sending the guy out there?

Every time he comes in my son goes batshiz. "Why? Why?" I don't have an answer for him. Literally, no lead is safe with the guy. I want to root for him but it's impossible. He's not an MLB pitcher. He'd get drilled no matter where he went. That's life in the bigs Hector, thanks. And two years ago I wanted him to be the closer. Other than Dominguez I would give you the whole 'pen and a bucket of balls for an organist.

I don’t understand the approach with him. Since every guy now throws 95, throwing straight as a string 95 gets you killed. He throws the pitch he consistently gets hurt on more it seems than the pitch that is his only out pitch. But the catcher keeps putting down #1. I don’t get it. If you’re going to get tattooed, get beat on your split. I think a lot about Lidge at times. By the end his fastball was not good. I didn’t care if they beat him on his out pitch, just don’t throw the fastball.

I think a lot about Wagner. Remember when people watched the radar hoping to see 100. Now Dominguez throws 99 whenever he wants. Just shows you how the game has changed. Every team has a guy with Wagner Velo now. Amazing.

Neris seems like no matter how long he has to get ready, in addition to throwing cookies, has no command of anything. He's 2-0, 3-1 on everybody. A guy throws that hard with no movement on anything can't challenge guys so he tries to nip the corners and he's not that guy. So he's in fastball counts all the time. Recipe for disaster.

this team will drive me crazy. They entered the top of the 9th against the Cards with a 4-2 lead. Their relief pitcher got 3 Ks, but the 3rd K was a wild pitch (a slider that kind of skidded, instead of bouncing into the catcher's glove). So then Morgan is brought in to get the 3rd out (with runners on 1st and 3rd). He gets a 3-2 count, and then hangs a slider which is grounded into CF, making the score 4-4. Good grief

Reactions: Relayer
this team will drive me crazy. They entered the top of the 9th against the Cards with a 4-2 lead. Their relief pitcher got 3 Ks, but the 3rd K was a wild pitch (a slider that kind of skidded, instead of bouncing into the catcher's glove). So then Morgan is brought in to get the 3rd out (with runners on 1st and 3rd). He gets a 3-2 count, and then hangs a slider which is grounded into CF, making the score 4-4. Good grief
Arano with a stat line of 2/3 of an inning pitched, and 3 K's; don't see that very often. Just following this on Gamecast; was there any discussion about bringing in Dominquez in the 9th?

On to extra innings.

Un effing real

This game is on Knapp. No excuse to not block that 3rd strike

Now he keeps calling sliders when thompson hung a few already

Reactions: harjeff
Dominquez is not available, now it's 5-4 Cards.

Another outstanding start is wasted, 13 K's for Pivetta. Knapp has to block that, but this bullpen is killing the team. Gonna be a long summer I'm afraid. This reminds me of the first Dodger game. Up 4-0 early and the offense does nothing the rest of the game.

Wow!! I'll take it!

smh

hard to believe the Phils won that. The Cards gifted that one to the Phils.

Pivetta's start deserved a win. Would have liked to see Ramos pitch the 9th for the Phils. Arano should have gotten out of the 9th; Knapp should have smothered the ball. Morgan's slider was a mistake, both in its location and the fact that Wong had just missed a previous slider.

I have no clue why the Cards put Bowman in the game. He's not very good. And what was Ozuma doing in left field, with 2 outs. Keep the ball in front of you, and at worst it's a tie game. That Santana scored from 1st shows just what a terrible defensive job Ozuma did.

Some nice things tonight, and some ugly baseball as well.

Nice to get a win for the Phitens.

Reactions: Relayer
smh

hard to believe the Phils won that. The Cards gifted that one to the Phils.

Pivetta's start deserved a win. Would have liked to see Ramos pitch the 9th for the Phils. Arano should have gotten out of the 9th; Knapp should have smothered the ball. Morgan's slider was a mistake, both in its location and the fact that Wong had just missed a previous slider.

I have no clue why the Cards put Bowman in the game. He's not very good. And what was Ozuma doing in left field, with 2 outs. Keep the ball in front of you, and at worst it's a tie game. That Santana scored from 1st shows just what a terrible defensive job Ozuma did.

Some nice things tonight, and some ugly baseball as well.

Nice to get a win for the Phitens.

Not to mention the mind numbing comments made by the manager after the game where he said that everyone was great.

I don’t know how the writers can sit there and listen to it. I’m forgetting his name and he was a bit of a strange guy, but there was a beat writer for one of the lesser papers who would wait for Felske to do his post game presser but leave just before Felske started talking after sitting down. Short guy, named George with a dark beard. Would not say a word and then talk your ear off one night and then not say a word to you for a couple of weeks.

This manager is a train wreck.

I watched these guys for a month in March. I have never recorded so many dropped third strikes putout at first as I did this spring. It was alarming, seemed to be every day it happened multiple times. They were horrible.

But Pivetta tonight was really encouraging. There is enough there along with VV to make you think that 1-4 is competitive. Eflin won’t kill you at 5. But this pen is horrendous and you spent money on Hunter and Neshek and haven’t gotten anything from either.

Dominquez is not available, now it's 5-4 Cards.

Another outstanding start is wasted, 13 K's for Pivetta. Knapp has to block that, but this bullpen is killing the team. Gonna be a long summer I'm afraid. This reminds me of the first Dodger game. Up 4-0 early and the offense does nothing the rest of the game.
Knapp should be released for that bone headed play! He's really been bad all year and now that play takes the cake for me...batting about .180 and he nearly cost the game for lack of a clue. A major league catcher in that situation has to understand the ball is going to be in the dirt if its thrown properly with the count in the pitchers favor...got to block it and throw or tag the guy out to end the game! They finally wised up and got rid of Neris....now time for some others to go.

Need to bring up another catcher from LHV..I don't care who as any of them can duplicate what Knapp provides and probably would be better!

Knapp should be released for that bone headed play! He's really been bad all year and now that play takes the cake for me...batting about .180 and he nearly cost the game for lack of a clue. A major league catcher in that situation has to understand the ball is going to be in the dirt if its thrown properly with the count in the pitchers favor...got to block it and throw or tag the guy out to end the game! They finally wised up and got rid of Neris....now time for some others to go.

Need to bring up another catcher from LHV..I don't care who as any of them can duplicate what Knapp provides and probably would be better!

If this team somehow manages to stay in the hunt, Neris will be a reason they do. The manager is killing the bullpen. I’m sure if you ask every reliever in MLB, they will tell you that having a defined role is critical. This musical chair nonsense that this nit wit has employed has made every guy in the pen unsure. Neris lost confidence and it doesn’t help that they call for his fastball a disproportionate amount of time. Neris was too good for stretches last year. I hope he gets back on track in LV. He will be needed. I’d go Neris 7, Ramos 8, Dominguez 9 until Neshek is ready. But the nit wit will continue to screw it up.

Last edited:
If this team somehow manages to stay in the hunt, Neris will be a reason they do. The manager is killing the bullpen. I’m sure if you ask every reliever in MLB, they will tell you that having a defined role is critical. This musical chair nonsense that this knit wit has employed has made every guy in the pen unsure. Neris lost confidence and it doesn’t help that they call for his fastball a disproportionate amount of time. Neris was too good for stretches last year. I hope he gets back on track in LV. He will be needed. I’d go Neris 7, Ramos 8, Dominguez 9 until Neshek is ready. But the knit wit will continue to screw it up.
You do know Neris got sent to Triple-A? "to clear his head"

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23834151/hector-neris-philadelphia-phillies-optioned-triple-a

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT