ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Phillies Thread.....

Another great outing by Nola, 8 innings, 1 run, 103 pitches. Kingerly with a grand slam and Odubel with a couple doubles. Santana has hit the ball hard the last 2 nights with little to show for it. Let's face it though, the Reds are a bad baseball team.
from a 1-4 start to now 5-5 is good news indeed; Nola looking good; Kingery and Hoskins could be real building blocks

from a 1-4 start to now 5-5 is good news indeed; Nola looking good; Kingery and Hoskins could be real building blocks
They need Williams in the lineup more as well...he has the potential to be very good, IMO...Big pinch hit HR for the win Monday and then a double to score the go ahead run last night. Need Crawford to pick it up at the plate as well.

Let's tap the brake a little. Beating Marlins and Reds tell me Phils are not the worst team in the league as those two teams will likely fight it out to be the worst. At least the Phils showed a pulse and the bats got moving a little bit.

Let's tap the brake a little. Beating Marlins and Reds tell me Phils are not the worst team in the league as those two teams will likely fight it out to be the worst. At least the Phils showed a pulse and the bats got moving a little bit.
It's April. Just talking baseball.

DaG9f3OU8AIAKtx
Must be the same guys who are astroturfing for Columbus's MLS team to move to Austin. They had a picture of a Columbus Clippers game with very low attendance in a tweet designed to show that Columbus Columbus doesn't even support their cheap AAA baseball team. Only one problem. The game was a Clippers game--on the road in Indianapolis.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">You can delete the tweet, but screenshots last forever. <a href="https://twitter.com/AustinFC20?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@Austinfc20</a> <a href="https://t.co/0ozpByPZgw">pic.twitter.com/0ozpByPZgw</a></p>&mdash; Columbus Clippers (@CLBClippers) <a href="">April 7, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good for the new guy Kingery. Sac fly to drive in the winning run in bottom of 12th vs Reds.

yeah, some interesting events toward the end of the game.

- Herrara with the great catch that robbed a HR in the 10th
- Crawford with the nice catch and tag on the attempted steal
- Phils getting lucky that the leadoff batter gets to 2nd in the 12th on an E4 that was a pretty routine play for the 2nd baseman
- Kingery putting good wood on the SF to get the runner in from 3rd to win the game

It was somewhat frustrating to watch the Phils allow the Red to tie the game in the top of the 9th, but in sports, things rarely go exactly how fans hope they will.

Reactions: Grant Green
Nice 5-1 victory, in 10 innings, tonight, over the Braves.

Phils were hitting into double plays most of the game. Thankfully, their bats came alive in the 10th inning, where they scored 4 runs. Interestingly, Hoskins struck out 3 times tonight, but got a 2-out, 2-run double in the top of the 10th.

The bullpen pitched 5 innings and gave up 3 hits and no runs.

Arrieta was outstanding tonight. 7 IP, 1 hit, 10 K's. Cesar with the Phil's first 3 run single since Jose Cardenal in 1978.

Reactions: royboy
Crawford, he benefited from getting to run on the pitch. Bases loaded 2 out, 3-2 count. Regardless, the Bucs were somewhat caught napping, here's the play.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/jp-crawfor...cesar-hernandezs-three-run-single/c-272986198

JP has great speed. That said, I was expecting more of a fluke-type play. A single to center, and guy scores from 1st? That's not something you would expect even in Little League, unless there was an error involved.

thanks for the video link

Another win for the Phils to go to 13-7 after a 1-4 start.

Another strong effort by Nola who went 7 innings, gave up 2 runs on 6 hits, no walks, and 9 K's

And how about Rhys Hopkins -- a HR, single, and 4 RBIs; now has 67 RBIs in 70 career games....more and more appears to be an emerging star

Last edited:
Reactions: Relayer
Right now the Phils are 1.5 games out of first and lead the wildcard by 1.5 games. Yes, call me Captain Optimistic!

Reactions: EPC FAN
Right now the Phils are 1.5 games out of first and lead the wildcard by 1.5 games. Yes, call me Captain Optimistic!
Very favorable schedule for the first month and half. Good to get off to a fast start and build confidence. Excited to watch Hoskins AB's and Kingery, too.

Wow, Mets blew another game tonight in the 9th. Phils only a game back.

Bucs looked like a good club coming in. Gotta figure out how to beat ATL. Walk FFF (That's Freddie FFING Freeman) every time up. AZ series might show us a lot more. Honestly, Freeman when he doesn't homer or line one in the gap works a 15 pitch AB every time and walks. He's kryptonite. He's Chipper II to the Phils. Hat is off to the guy, he is a tremendously gifted player and works his azz off. Let us hope he works the same magic when ATL plays the Mets and Nats. His OBP must be .950 on the Phils.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmw199 and LundyPSU
Impressive stretch of starting pitching excellence, from
https://www.mlb.com/phillies/news/phillies-win-on-walk-off-in-11th/c-273397664

SOUND SMART Phillies starting pitchers have allowed three runs or fewer in each of their last 12 games. It is the club's longest stretch since a 13-game streak from April 27 to May 11, 2011. Phillies starters have a 2.38 ERA in the 12-game span.

HE SAID IT
"I thought for a second, maybe once I saw the ball ricochet. But I was saying that my legs after 11 innings probably aren't the best. I might have run out of steam." -- Knapp, on possibly attempting an inside-the-park home run in the 11th

He would have made it! But I'll take the trip-trip-triple as they say.

I give the Phillies credit. They have some good players. Then they went out and paid the big bucks to bring in an experienced, top-of-the-rotation starter. They got him for a great contract. He makes his money, which he deserves, but it's a reasonably short-term deal so it won't devolve into an albatross around their necks.

The Pirates are not terrible, but the bullpen is weak, the starters overall are meh, and there are holes in the lineup. The problem is, the Worst Management Team In Baseball (WMTIB) REFUSES to add pieces and fortify the weaknesses.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Could it be that Kapler knows what he’s doing? It’s a shame the season started out badly when he pulled Nola early in the first game but since then he seems to be making good moves with the bullpen and the players are battling. It’s a difficult lineup to juggle.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Half the starters hitting under .190.
Alfaro usually appears to be dozing off.

Every fan who showed up tonight should get a 100% refund. The last 5 innings were played in a downpour. It looked like Game 4 against the Dodgers in '77.
That game should have NEVER been played! It was brutal watching it. Add to it we lost. I remember it well Relayer.

That game should have NEVER been played! It was brutal watching it. Add to it we lost. I remember it well Relayer.
Brutal - although on the heels of the way they lost the 3rd game (Black Friday) it was almost anti-climactic. That 3rd game loss was painful.

Had to figure they would cool off a bit. Not a good outing for Arietta.

Tonight's paid attendance in Miami: 5,415

ADVERTISEMENT